Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
glass can never be good because its a camera strapped to your face that may or may not be recording other people, other people find that creepy

if it was just a hud it could be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i mean i wish the people i help over the phone had google glass so i see what they see and use them like a dumb pair of arms, but don't wear that poo poo outside

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
chrome dropped support for all NPAPI plugins, and if you need a reason more than security the n stands for netscape

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Valeyard posted:

i woke up and browsed all my websites that use wall to wall java embeds telling me the bad news :negative:

so Unity web player is gone too?

i just tried and it doesn't work, you can reenable npapi under chrome://flags for now until september when chrome 45 takes it out all together

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

it's not even just java, it's all NPAPI plugins, which includes things like silverlight, unity web player, adobe reader, adobe flash player, shockwave player, and every other plugin ported from netscape. you idiots would probably be complaining if microsoft got rid of activex, even if they told you they were doing it a year in advance

flash is actually PPAPI in chrome so it will be around for a while

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
its probbably just overloaded, a high school would have several hundred simultaneous data users, cause those kids all text and look at videos in class and the wifi is censored

source my gf is in placement at a high school and they never stop using their phones

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i just ran gmvault on my important accounts

somebody please make an open source copy of gmail i can run on a linux tia

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
its a TP-Link router with zigbee support and a TPM

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

it's a good router

from last year even, but wireless hasn't improved much for a single client since 802.11ac

presumably the google router should handle more simultaneous users with all its extra radios and antennas but they probably hosed that up too

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Leader posted:

just attach a USB hub to your main macbook and plug USB hdds and Ethernet adapters into it and passthrough them into virtualbox where you run a router file server Linux

except for uptime thats a better setup than 95% of people have

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, you are thinking about apple. the company that actually makes tons of bad things and is dying

with 600+ billion in the bank they are going to die any century now

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Christopher Poole Senior VP of Lolicon Google Inc

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
project butter but for real this time

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

KidVanguard posted:

i don't understand steve jobs approach to computer games. games were pretty integral to the popularity of the apple ii and a big reason kids got into computing and programming. but the macintosh abandoned games and the developers and was even actively hostile towards some of them (id). it was very easy for microsoft to swoop in and take that segment.

games are super popular on iOS too so i don't get way jobs hated games so much on his beloved mac.

video games and video card drivers are the buggiest, lowest quality software available and will not taint his perfect computers

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
it's like everyone at google hasn't sent or received an sms in years

it's kind of funny that seamless messaging is really just graceful protocol downgrading for legacy phones

so in at least one sense apple has the best backwards compatibility

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
6.5 means the lowest possible interpretation because it's purposely vague phrasing used by new money

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

there's a new beta version of chrome out and they changed up the ui, it doesn't look great

this week's version changed the default osx interface to "material" but you can revert it in chrome://flags

also chrome for windows defaults to 64bit now

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
realime security camera cloud backup?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
100/10 unlimited for 65 a month on rogers on 2 year contract

it was too good to pass up, but the pricing is predatory because 3rd parties cannot make a profit at the same price
the billing rates for 3rd party isps are being changed right now and in a couple months should be the same but it will be too late because everyone is locked into rogers and 3rd parties will suffer

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
nevermind

Perplx fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 1, 2016

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
no complaints about my nighthawk but i got an edgerouter to better janitor my packets

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

i use 3 finger swipe to go back, my only wish is that you could change the swipe direction because you have to swipe to the left to go back but with every other apple device you swipe to the right to go back

this should work https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

also if you're using a modern browser like IE or Edge the backspace doesn't go back when you are in a text field.

webpages cannot be trusted, they will change focus on you because every page is javascript rube golberg machine

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
yes nothing says "business" like google's cheap copy of apple's cheap copy of snapchat

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
the most lmao pixel spec: 100% NTSC color space

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

water resistance is pretty loving cool for tablets, but it's just a weird vanity feature for phones - except it makes your phone easy to clean in the sink

pushes you into pool

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
the next samsung will be sold without a battery, making it the customers job to buy a non exploding battery

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
one of the few things i miss about living in the country was burning all flammable garbage

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

lmao if you dont use a rat king of cables involving at least 5 pieces of equipment from 3 different decades

atv4->receiver->tv

it's all you need

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
google's solution for the full spectrum of resolution, aspects and dpi was "just make it scale"

when does a single pane phone app turn into a tablet app with a side bar? Its up to u

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
at least you can look at stuff in car, the ultimate boredom for a child is the waiting at the doctors office or hospital nothing but a few kids books and 10 year old magazines

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
web developers just want to pass structs and arrays of strings, numbers, dates and they control the client and the server
xml is overkill for that

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

80% of smartphone users don't use ios
95% of computer users don't use macs

If Android or windows seem bad or confusing to you, it's because you have Apple induced brain damage, namaste

90% of laptops have a 1360x768p tn panel because people genuinely prefer it over retina ips

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

the joke is that this is actually worse. google has so few women in higher paying technical roles that it massively skews their their pay balance.

damore's whole thesis was that this is cool and good and totally normal, and google just confirmed that that's their view as well.

its bad but the gender ratio just matches the gender ratio of comp sci graduates

the real problem is women not enrolling in computer poo poo, probably because they get scared away by goons in high school

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

That config is +$650 and the pen is +$99 which is just shy of a $1800 chromebook lmao.

"it runs all your favorite apps!*"

*google apps and websites only

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
somebody make a google death counter site

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i wish i had a thermostat, i have 4 baseboard electric heaters with a loving knob on each one and in the summer i break out my window air conditioner

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

sorry that you're poor :(

my location is amazing and i'm subletting against the rules from a guy that been there since 95, i pay like $300 below market value

another couple years and i'll move

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

functionally clearer. the more important distinction is the zero, not the order of magnitude.

the other way seems more logical though from an language perspective
sentences can have multiple commas but only 1 period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

what the...?!

you misspelled …

• Locked thread