Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xoidanor posted:

Has there ever been a thing that's been better after PAC's got involved?

Ham Rove (RIP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

The original Friday Night Lights started from a reporter decided to cover Texas HS football and absolutely shocked at what he saw and a quick profile turned into a full year story. Basically, every week the team didn't win people would call in to local radio stations and complain that the players spent too much time in classes learnin' and no enough time footballin'.

I remember that there was a kid in that who was injured and lost all his perks as a "student-athlete" and that included someone doing his homework for him and grading easier on tests. He was quickly failing all his classes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

It's literally as exploitative as anything you could concoct for a nightmare dystopia outside of injured and prep team players having their organs harvested to give to the star players for that extra edge.

Do not give them ideas!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

How are u posted:

The Redtail Hawk bill was the kind of symbolic poo poo that state legislatures love to pass all the time. It's the same poo poo that used to pass unanimously not even ten years ago, a completely worthless feel-good piece of legislation that makes a small interest group happy in a symbolic way.

Like if you had a loving John-Deere factory in your state you'd make some random day John-Deere Appreciation Day because it hurts literally no one and makes a little group feel good about themselves.

Basically it's just another example of how our hyper-partisan system has turned life into a madhouse, even at the expense of loving literal children doing a civics project.

Fun enough my state had something like that. A representative was asked to make Make Way for ducklings the official children's book of the commonwealth. However some people in the western part of the state wanted it to be a Dr. Seuss book. They had to copmpromise and Dr. Seuss was the official children's author and Make Way for duckings was the official children's book. It took a couple of years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Strobe posted:

I think the whole "covertly adopted system of illegal state-sponsored extortion" part didn't really fit that beautiful idea of "checks and balances", Joe. But clearly, the system is working as intended if you have to pursue private legal action in order to not pay the exorbitant processing fees in excess of a thousand dollars in a $10 fine.

God forbid someone without access to a lawyer willing to do it pro bono were to get stuck in that situation!

Bootstraps

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Frivolous lawsuits are like people abusing welfare or voter fraud. They are very small isolated problems that get blown up by the media and people think they are widespread.

The Mcdonalds coffee lawsuit is also a lot bigger than just hot coffee.

quote:

Liebeck's attorneys argued that at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C) McDonald's coffee was defective, claiming it was too hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment. McDonald's had refused several prior opportunities to settle for less than what the jury ultimately awarded. The jury damages included $160,000 to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. The trial judge reduced the final verdict to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount before an appeal was decided.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Best password is fuckyouchris69

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xibanya posted:

Anti humor requires the audience to already have outside knowledge of standard humor structure. Anti humor is funny because it subverts expectations. You think a bunch of kids have consumed enough media that they understand that kind of meta game? At this point we're still trying to get them to understand standard storytelling structure.

They are also stressed out beyond belief and then getting these insane questions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Do these tests affect grades, though? I thought they were purely an exercise in data gathering.

They affect the teachers pay and for some of them if you do not pass you do not graduate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

UrbicaMortis posted:

I'm excited to see what John says about the bloodbath that has been the UK general election. I doubt he'll use the main bit of the show to talk about it but I'm sure he'll mention it at the start. I hope he mentions this image because it's really funny in an infuriating kind of way:

You can expect him to talk about it a bunch on this weeks Bugle if it comes out (gently caress you Chris)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zakharov posted:

Why do you guys keep quoting a guy who clearly gets his jollies trolling this thread?

Not just this thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I don't know how big the FIFA organization is, but it seems like they arrested everybody high up except Sepp. And even better, Sepp is up for re-election on Friday. Given all the corruption and arrests, I don't see how he could possibly be reelected, but I'm sure that will happen (maybe even unanimously?)

Well its all up to the people who elect him, and that man is Sepp.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I assume we will get something about todays election.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Bugle has confirmed that FIFA is being covered this week!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That episode was incredible

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oliver's contempt for whatever he's ranting about is always obvious but it's on a whole other level when he's ranting about FIFA. God drat he hates them and rightfully so.

He is even willing to drink bud light lime!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also the scientology joke. This show is so so great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Pope Francis is alright and nobody should be surprised the church is not a loving bastion of progressive thought. seems like a stupid goddamn target especially when Francis has been cleaning house and modernizing the church so aggressively.

Except when it comes to gay rights

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This weeks episode and Bugle are going to be so giddy. Will he get a fuckeulogy as his presidency is dead?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The horror

Last Week Tonight @LastWeekTonight posted:

On tonight's Last Week Tonight, @iamjohnoliver keeps a promise.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This Fifa story is amazing and it keeps on getting better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Please respond Warner

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo tat 3/5ths comment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh gently caress gamergate

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I really can not wait to see how he responds to this on the Bugle or next weeks episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

He said that women shouldn't be threatened for expressing themselves. As a traitor to the male cause he must be destroyed!

So you are saying that naked pictures should be posted of him and death threats are the solution?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 22, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Not everyone knows every loving social media or website out there and honestly one of the points that they tried to make is in a lot of places it's not even illegal to harass someone on the internet in the United States (which doesn't even take into account everyone in the rest of the world.)

A recent example of this in Massachusetts is when a guy was found not guilty of taking upskirt photos with his cell phone. The only reason that he got away? The law did not mention the certain crime as it was not possible when the law was written. The loop hole was closed, and this is another situation when laws need to be changed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veskit posted:

The best analogy I can give is how the Reverand Al Sharpton is a loving a moron but he's on the right side of human rights. His message is good but god drat the guy is a loving idiot. I kind of look at anita like that. Sure she's fighting the good fight for women but sometimes she says things that are so inexplicably dumb I can't help but dislike her. She's pretty insufferable as a person so the loving stupid MRA guys have tons of ammo to dislike her for both nefarious and legitimate reasons. I mean this happened which I'll laugh until the day I die how loving dumb this is

Separate but equal!!!
In one report I read it said that 3 out of 5 schools separated by race are equal to ones that are not.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 24, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zythrst posted:

Unless that armor goes on the dog, then I'm going spend hours on it.

Get some armor for the Dog Supreme Court justices.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of awful things in the south

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

Well, John Brown was a insane murderous terrorist who literally believed God spoke to him and ordered him to end slavery.

You did read the whole thing?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thehustler posted:

"*tap tap* is... is this on? Is this on? Are we still here?"

I'm pretty sure nobody at News International even bothered checking what they were doing from week to week.

It was later confirmed when John got the daily show hosting gig and News International acted like they had no idea who he was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veskit posted:

The SAME day???? :psyduck:

Its on or around January 19th so yeah it will either be the day of or really near.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also Donald Trump being Donald Trump

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

but FNL owns harder and if you don't "get" why sports are important or positive influences on their communities in their purest sense after watching it, well

You could also read the book and see how they can be a harmful influence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I agree that it's a cop-out. But, it's also kind-of true.

First and foremost, this show is a comedy show. The difference between this show and any other comedy is that the framing device is a news show, and the topics from which humor is drawn are current events. Personally, I do not have the same expectations of this show that I have from, say, the NBC Nightly News. Daily Show and Last Week Tonight will sometimes just opt for the quick laugh or other guttural reaction over the in-depth analysis, and such is the risk you run when getting your news from a comedy show.

Explain CNN then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

A woman who organized an online crusade against a person for the crime of performing music she didn't like (and therefore no one should be allowed to listen to it, according to her deranged mind) getting much deserved comeuppance when the person she targeted decided to fight back and use her own weapons of harassment against her. Its almost poetic.

I do not believe her weapons of harrasment included death and rape threats

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zero One posted:

Johnathan Banks... lol

OMG That video at the end.

That's my new favorite callback also joke regarding Nick Offerman's dick. * watch deadwood

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VagueRant posted:

100% picturing that guy as Mike from Breaking Bad, appropriately enough.

Do you become a better bowler when you have your period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

poo poo, this almost sounds like a challenge. Nah kid, you couldn't handle bein' gay, to be gay you gotta get Exxtreme.

You can only be gay on SURGE

• Locked thread