Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Haha the company behind that twee as gently caress Oregon healthcare exchange ad that Oliver went off on is Real Fuckin Mad.

quote:

You have to be a stupid loving idiot to think advertising can actually help improve the quality of people's lives.

Well he's got a point there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

There's actually sweet gently caress all the average american can do to change a political thing like state sanctioned murder.

Nah a few states have abolished it in the past decade, after it was upheld by the supreme court IIRC in the late 80s/early 90s. Off the top of my head Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Pretty sure O'Malley in Maryland campaigned on it when he ran for governor. It got to that point because there was a comfortable enough majority in state legislatures, but it wouldn't have been an issue unless people had made it one in the first place.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vincent posted:

Is the Vice show good?

The stuff they cover is interesting but you have to take the reporting with a grain of salt.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I dunno they could've gone into a little more (any) detail on the growth of right-wing Hindu nationalism and Modi's role in sectarian violence as the chief minister of Gujarat.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ultramiraculous posted:

It's actually kind of funny how some people in the US think they have a monopoly on anti-immigrant racism. It's like they've never heard someone with an accent bitch about "pakis", or Poles running car washes, or gypsies being the source of all crime ever.

There's just a whole world of racism most people haven't experienced.

I thought it was common knowledge that the US is fairly low in the open xenophobia rankings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nuke silos are a total waste of time and we'll never be rid of them because dumb fucks think that if we scrap them we're inviting Russia to finish the old grudge.

We're still flying B-52s carrying nukes too. In their case though it's more because they're really cheap to maintain.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I liked that story about the dumb town in one of the Carolinas iirc (please hold for JT Jag's irate specification of which Carolina) where the law was every drink at a bar had to be made with airline bottles. It's silly and stupid and mocking it on television might have spurred people to change the law, but it isn't this stomach-churning intractable evil thing like so much of what TDS now covers in its reporter at large segments.

It was a state statute in South Carolina and the law changed after Strom Thurmond died because he had enough pull with state legislators to keep a repeal from coming up for a vote. For a few years afterward they were still pouring double shots in drinks because most bartenders there had never lived anywhere else and had no clue how much was in a shot.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 29, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Narcissus1916 posted:

I knew more about the issue just by occasionally following blogs like Andrew Sullivan's

Said no one ever.

Apoplexy posted:

They didn't even have to bring up her love for an imprisoned serial killer.

Or accepting Social Security and Medicare when she became eligible for them. Her justification for it is pretty :laffo: too.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 29, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The only problem with the segment is Rand really isn't a thing at all. Libertarians get what, half a percent of the popular vote in most elections, even at the local level when they bother to field a candidate? The parts of conservatism which coincide with Rand's views have deeper roots in the early industrial origins of the Republican party. Grinding the poor into dust for fun and profit predates some dumb lady mad that she can't live in the USSR no more.

If you want to know why Ayn Rand isn't a thing it's because these are the only people who take her seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAITnMv1j8Q

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DivisionPost posted:

But doing a story about doctors getting payoffs from Big Pharma at a time when anti-vaxxers are looking for any reason to double down on their beliefs? Gotta admit, tasted a little sour going down.

PhRMA doesn't give two shits about vaccines because they're the least profitable and most heavily regulated part of the drug industry. One boner or cholesterol pill can account for twice as much revenue as an entire vaccine division.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

one sexy loser posted:

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

Imagine a giant trailer park thousands of miles from any other form of civilization all of a sudden found a geyser of money which never runs out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Paper Kaiju posted:

Shouldn't Florida have a large amount of out-of-state cash constantly flowing into it's state economy from tourism and northern retirees?

That, real estate, drugs for a while though not as much these days, and federal spending.

Also the weather makes it a draw for the homeless and drifters (and sex offender colonies), and that combined with nonexistent social services, plus the sunshine law means every arrest gets in the paper.

Apoplexy posted:

And the Oxy drug trade, since Florida is, or at least was, one of the last states to be so loving ignorant and incompetent that they won't track prescription drug purchases.

The pill mills are mostly over and done with now. Purdue Pharma reformulated oxy so it can't be crushed and snorted as easily, and the DEA had a bunch of raids, then the FL government actually did their own crackdown on clinics.

Which is why heroin is huge in rural communities like it's the early 90s all over again. It's becoming a huge problem- heroin deaths have nearly tripled since 2010 while other opioid ODs (i.e. from prescription pain pills) have stayed flat.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 19, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nitpicky thing- the overall point about gutting the IRS budget is spot on but tape backup is the standard for long term data storage.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Fair point, but still, I imagine there are at least tape backup systems on the market that aren't as old and decrepit as the ones the IRS seems to be forced to use.

The footage they showed looked like regular tape drives. Some of the carts might be old but that's kinda the point- they can store stuff for decades with minimal degradation and not have to worry about format compatibility 20 years in the future.

IRQ posted:

Things like this often aren't a lack of money but a lack of will. "It works" is the reason a lot of outdated things are still being used, that goes for the private sector as well.

That and more often than not it's cheaper to pay a few people to maintain the older thing rather than try to migrate to a newer system.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The IRS getting their budget slashed so that they may be sacrificed on the altar of dumbass hicks is plenty stupid, I don't know why Oliver had to go after a totally legitimate decision.

I doubt it was malicious, just someone working on the story saw an angle with hey look at this old stuff they still use.

To be fair though if they were to get their budget in line with where it should be they should totally spring for one of those futuristic sci-fi tape vaults Google uses.

I was thinking Fortran, but yeah.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The IRS has armed agents too, and holy gently caress does it freak out the usual idiots when they find out about it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Washington Journal is probably the best show on tv. The best callers see how long they can lead the host on with an inane story until they finally ask the guest if they believe WTC 7 was brought down by a controlled demolition.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Steve Scully doesn't even get the worst of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li4NzXkdMeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod-v8RLiWc

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

synftw posted:

It almost makes me want to watch CSPAN, and I'm sure I've never thought that before.

Does this guy have a regular time slot or do they just take questions after Congress is done voting on whatever?

Washington Journal is CSPAN's primary call-in show. It runs 7-10 every morning. They also have open lines after big events like Presidential speeches, debates, etc. It's pretty much the best channel for witnessing America's id.

There's always a crazy person, a racist drunk, a couple 9/11 truthers, and a few sassy old black people who've had enough of this poo poo every day and it somehow never gets old.

Timett posted:

I think it's weird that they seemed to have separate phone numbers for Republican, Democrat and Independent callers. Any practical reason for this?

When they first started they didn't screen political affiliation and people noticed it was almost all Republicans calling in (because old people are the only ones up at 7am with nothing better to do but yell at a guy on tv). Now they have the three lines and alternate between them, but people game the system all the time. They still have about a 2:1 ratio of conservative affiliated guests though, but that's no different than any other political talk show like the Sunday garbagefests.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 21, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My all-time favorite C-SPAN prank call clip is when they had a guest on, and the caller started off talking about debt or something like that and then just seamlessly transitioned into talking about how he needed penis implants, and the guest's face just went :aaa:

Yeah the real pros know how to keep the host engaged so they don't even think about reaching for the call dump button until the reveal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They don't screen the calls.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bull3964 posted:

I think largely why this has disappeared from the public awareness after every incident is the public very well feels powerless to do anything about it. The segment itself said that fewer than 2% of clothes are produced in this country, but it didn't point out what those 2% are.

American Apparel, some higher end boutique stuff, and a bunch of textiles for the most part.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's actually an amusing story. Those dumbass kids just don't appreciate anti-humor.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Why do we even bother sending kids to school anyway? It's not like 99% of them learn anything or need to know jack poo poo besides where to score drugs or how to work a pictogram cash register.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like basically anything based on "tough on crime" rhetoric has been proven to just make things worse, yet if you even think about trying to fix some of it you get nutjobs accusing you of being soft on crime and crazy attack ads like the ones from the elected judges segment a while ago.

For a while they went after children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidALyBwat0

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Echo Chamber posted:

They can punish the congressman by not giving them committee positions and also kill the pork running into their district. They can also refuse any bills or amendments they might sponsor.

There's a lot of ways to exercise party discipline.

Yeah being an effective fundraiser for the party house/senate hill committee is a surefire way to make sure you get your way in congress. And also lots of institutional support should your ambitions be a little higher.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IRQ posted:

It still is. This arrangement is because PBS couldn't afford it anymore from what I remember.

That's part of it but also Sesame Workshop's main revenue sources are dvds and donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
But wait TED talks are already on the academic level of morning talk shows. That's kind of the entire point.

• Locked thread