Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are you guys gunning for the worst thread honor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but talking about massacres in India is nothing but intellectual cock stroking. There's nothing we, as Americans, can do about how lovely India is as a country. We only like hearing about it because it makes us feel smart and compassionate. "Awwwww, those poor Indians. Someone should do something about that. *sips wine*" When you bring up a domestic issue like the Death Penalty or, even better, local issues like state corruption, the viewer has the power to do something about it but actively chooses not to. That makes them much more disturbing to hear about in general.

There's actually sweet gently caress all the average american can do to change a political thing like state sanctioned murder.

Now, if you have enough moneyfree speech, that's another story.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vincent posted:

Is the Vice show good?

If you can get over how hipster a lot of the correspondents are yeah it's a great show and the (video) stuff on their website is generally even better. It's very poorly curated though so it helps to check often.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

axeil posted:

Instead their airing the movie about the start of the AIDS outbreak, which actually looks like it might be really good.

The new one with Sheldon in it or Dallas Buyer's Club or something?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If the FCC wanted their internet site to work they should have to pay for the hyperfast lightspeed tier lane I mean it's only fair right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Paddywagon is bad?

It refers to the van the cops throw all the drunken Irish into so yeah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Scorchy posted:

Who's worse, the IOC, F1, or FIFA?

How much slave labor does F1 wind up using?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Normally, on the Bugle, John would just do all the singing himself. That may have been a fine alternate option.

Yeah but if you can get the real thing there's comedy value to that. And I can't imagine it's that hard to get right said fred.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Thank you, that's very much the point I'm trying to make. Atheists arrived at a logical conclusion, and I wish more were interested in sharing that rather than spreading stories about dumb Christians or anything else. It's quite likely that people have already seen these stories and shaken their collective heads. Makes me wish there was a better message to send than "your entire spiritual life was a lie!"

Ricky Gervais is a good example that illustrates both sides of my point. He has embraced atheism and shared some of what that viewpoint grants you, but he's a big part of the "LOL Christianity" echo chamber that I have no interest in joining.

Problem is the two sides that engage in these conversations have made it pretty central to their identity. The angry atheist very much included. For the atheist who doesn't believe and sees no reason to make it part of their lives it's just a non-issue, like not being a vegan, or not playing golf.

Like how am I going to get excited over talking about how not being a rodeo clown is a thing, I just don't give a poo poo, but I have nothing against them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Jon Stewart, John Oliver, and Stephen Colbert do a lot of the same fluff, strawman, appeal-to-a-friendly-audience type stuff that they bash in CNN and Fox News. Every night Stewart is out there twisting words, moving the goalposts, editing interviews to make subjects look worse than they otherwise would. But there's real stupidity behind what he's criticizing, and it's entertainment, so it's not a problem.

They don't do it as badly as Fox or in service of an evil agenda, so they retain the high ground. But the minute they claimed any serious journalistic legitimacy they'd be torn apart, and they know it. Which is why they're so vehement about denying it.

Jon Stewart has unarguably crossed the line between comedy satirist and actually political news figure. His appearance on the 2000s version of Crossfire makes that pretty clear. Colbert and Oliver clearly have an opinion but they never did that.

I don't disagree with Jon Stewart at all (except that Crossfire was amusing in a trainwreck kind of way), but he can't cover himself in that satirist cloak anymore, and even if he could, he, Colbert, and Oliver ARE a source of news for a ton of people and whether it's comedy or not they can't handwave away their impact. I just don't like that they consistently try to. Sorry, but you're informing a ton of low-information voters, guys. Colbert based a drat SuperPAC around that for gently caress's sake.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It would have fit with their nukes piece though, considering I think Israel is probably the most likely state actor to use theirs other than Pakistan losing one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reminder: It's Irish Joe.

He is to serious posting as Fox is to serious news.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fragmented posted:

I think this is my favorite show ever. The space sex geckos tribute was just...perfect.

The Russians sure made a Libyan Pool Party out of those poor fucklizards' spaceship.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hemophilia posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that Cuba ban? It's seemed unnecessary and unjustifiable for what seems like the majority of the time in which I've been alive.

Miami-Dade County is where all the Cuban expats that fled Castro are. Until they die off the embargo will never be lifted by democrats because it's believed that they would all turn republican in retaliation and Florida is close enough as is.

It will never be lifted by republicans because lol at them doing anything decent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

It is not a sham though. They are the largest provider of scholarships exclusivly for woman* regardless of the way you count.

* Who have never been married or pregnant, and are willing to get nearly naked in front of a large group of strangers to be graded like sides of beef.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Every scholarship on earth has some kind of selection criteria. For example, as a white man, I'm barred from literally thousands of scholarship opportunities targeted towards minorities. Instead of complaining that I don't have the same opportunity at a black scholarship as, say, a black man, I pursue scholarships I am qualified for and likely to get.

This is more akin to a scholarship for black people but you must have an afro measuring at least 3 feet in diameter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The point is that it's really sad and gross that the biggest scholarship for women falls under what you are now admitting is "unusual" in its requirements.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems to me they are running out of steam (I only watch the youtube segment because I dont enjoy the shorter bits that much) lately.

Their repeated claim that they were unable to find any more information about their subject than some intern can find in an hour with google makes me wish they stayed with subjects that people know little enough about to make them still look insightful. The segment about drones was literally one NBC report + some pakistani media + one C-SPAN interview mixed together with one of the better known drone-mishap videos to paint a pretty one-sided picture of drones.

The claim that it's irresponsible to not know the exact identities of the targets was somehow really scarry made laugh, because how stupid it is. This is a war and in a war you dont identify every last enemy combatant before you kill him, just imagine them doing that for Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. The same goes for the not 100% accurate body counts, it's not like the terrorists (or who ever was bombed) will send out a press release with the accurate number of dead, especially as terrorists kinda like the idea of being presumed dead. The last season of 24 did more to convey why drones might be questionable than this segment.

I really hope they go back to picking up topics that are not on the frontpage as often, because there the "lets google poo poo" method of reporting is not as obviouse.

I think you were looking for Last Week [REDACTED] with Oliver North, this is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I can see how that would be an easy mistake to make.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How is responding to Irish Joe still a thing?

Literally the best thing to come out of Ayn Rand is Rush lyrics.

And if I recall correctly, they have since distanced themselves from her horseshit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sakarja posted:

Ayn Rand is no different in this regard from any other political philosopher/writer with a following. She's still a thing because influential people agree with her basic message in the form they received it; from her best known and most accessible works. Most of the time people are willing to overlook specific, subordinate points of disagreement along with any unfortunate personal opinions expressed by the Master outside of his or her major works (eg. in letters, interviews and suchlike).

The segment was weak because it felt muddled and rushed. If the point was to show that her followers are either hypocrites or ignorant of her philosophy, they should probably have spent more than ten seconds on that. Instead they just crammed it in with what appears to be the real point of the segment; that Ayn Rand was a bad person and that certain leading businessmen and republicans are petulant, selfish assholes. I agree with both of those points, but I don't think the show made them very well and I can't say I understand what they hope to achieve by reminding an exclusively liberal audience of these facts.

That leads to my main problem with shows like this: they only ever seem to cover stories where they're absolutely sure that their bosses and target audience are in 100 % agreement with them, and that neither will be offended by what they have to say. Since this is the case they never have to work very hard to make their case, they don't take any risks and they only have something (apparently) original to add to a topic when it's a story that the rest of the media ignore. This segment is a good case in point. I understand that this is a minority opinion, but I still have to ask what people get from shows like this. John Oliver is funny, but I think his talent is wasted here.

It's a comedy show for making me laugh. I laughed, because I am the target audience. I think that counts as a win for the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sakarja posted:

People who attack her always seem to focus on her personal life and opinions, rarely if ever on the actual content of Objectivism. Here again the segment is a good case in point.

What about attacking her hypocrisy and her selfish, childlike opinions is not part and parcel to objectivism? It is literally her terrible opinions and nothing more. You can argue that her hypocrisy isn't inconsistent with the philosophy, if you deign to call it that, but it's still relevant. She rode the red scare for all it was worth and now 30 years after she died rich white manchildren buy into her bullshit because it allows them to internally justify their privilege and FYGM attitudes.

Are you an Irish Joe parachute account?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chamberk posted:

The more I hear these days, the more I think The Shield may have been one of the more accurate cop shows.

Actually, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cerepol posted:

Oh snap! Didn't realize. So it's just Jamie and other dude all show now? Wonder how that works out for them.

The build team were less than useless so I think it should work out pretty good. Shame the only one of them worth half a drat wound up flipping burgers.

Anyway, if anyone wants to be even more pissed off at that donkey, watch the Vice News piece on the interpreters that Oliver showed a clip from. It gets even worse!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

McDonald's has the most negative press out of any restaurant next to Denny's. There's no shame in going up and affirming to people that "yes this food is food."

Worse than Arby's or Taco Bell? Really?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

InfiniteZero posted:

Boondock Saints is an incredibly inept and bad film that really only appeals to people who don't know better. Everything it tries to do and be was done better before and after it. It tries (and hugely fails) so hard that most of the runtime induces a gigantic cringe for me. It really doesn't help that it's unlike-ably juvenile either.

I understand that people like it and I think I even understand why, but it makes me sad.

Boondock Saints was loving fantastic, when I was a college freshman.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see how the two are related.

They aren't as vaccines are not terribly profitable for them, but a big line of reasoning the anti-vax shitlords like to trot out now that most people are aware that the autism connection is discredited is concern trolling over how big pharma is untrustworthy and well we just really don't know what's in there, do you trust a big corporation to inject something into your child?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've got a feeling that he's going to regret declaring a Twitter war against President Rafael Correa. @LastWeekTonight has about 270,000 Twitter followers and @iamjohnoliver has about 757,000 but @MashiRafael has two million.

Poking an honest to god state leader into starting a twitter war with a comedy show that seemingly has no limits imposed upon it that he can't actually do anything whatsoever about is a loss for Oliver how? The only way el presidente wins that game is if he doesn't play it, which it seems he's probably not smart or in control of himself enough to realize.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wouldn't a homeopathic vaccine be like when everyone's moms made them go play with the kid that got chicken pox? Only with highly infectious and deadly diseases?

Sure that sounds like a wonderful idea.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Samopsa posted:

No it would be more like taking a skin flake of a diseased child, dropping it in the sea in San Francisco, and then dipping your child into the Atlantic Ocean to immunize your kid.

What about the part of him you hold onto to dunk him? One day, 20 years later, a measles is going to hit him on the heel and then what, THEN WHAT?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

He should see how far he can go with this. A well placed Falklands war joke could lengthen the list even further.

If they really want to go this route they should just let Jeremy Clarkson have about 5 minutes per week unfiltered.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thehustler posted:

Everyone says that because the plate had been on the car since the 90s it's proof they didn't plan it.

But what if they searched the plate first, then came up with the idea for what class of cars to use based on what they found?

Just how many porsche 928s, or supercars period, do you think are out there to make that joke? Clarkson revels in being offensive, but this one really probably was just coincidence.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This week's show really made me want a smoke.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's this geyser of money? The economy of Florida is not particularly strong by any metric.

I think Jackshitville is only there because of the military. Maybe he meant that?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

Whilst funny, the "daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants" joke seemed a bit oversimplified and kind of wrong.

Granted, I'm going off Wikipedia here, but there are several things in the Puerto Rican Citizenship article that state that Puerto Rican citizenship is a seperate and different thing to US Citizenship.

Therefore, her parents would have had to "immigrate" would they not?

Nope, as citizens they can freely travel too and fro unhindered. My understanding of the PR issue is that there's a large amount of post-colonial angst, a massive culture divide, and some manner of wizardry that leaves them better off financially if they aren't a state, although they are still desperately poor.

But it's all moot, no more states will ever been admitted to the union because PR is full of browns and DC is extremely liberal when it comes to most relevant issues. The republicans would never allow the balance of power in the senate to shift like that. DC statehood is basically a lock on two left caucusing seats.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm extremely surprised he didn't bring up the UK (not Ireland) passing plain packaging laws this week as well.

Shoulda had Jeff the diseased lung accidentally admit that smoking killed a bunch of people into a hot mic.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 16, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just going to do a preemptive

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Viginti posted:

I don't think John is being a Joe, he does sort of have a point in that there is some payment involved. I just think that most people believe that it's not the correct payment and that its immorally contracted: they're being paid in Disney dollars and paid only at the employers discretion, not to any sort of concrete rate.

Yeah, I mean, the degrees these players get may be worthless, but universities print tons of worthless liberal arts degrees that people happily pay them for*, but that's all the cash the university is going to make on that student, other than like parking or whatever fees. The issue is that these guys bust their asses, often literally, and, far more importantly, are are doing so only to line the pockets of a bunch of already rich assholes with dumptrucks of money for a ~2% gamble that they could go pro.

* I have one in English, before you jump down my throat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Forever Zero posted:

The girl making 10 bucks an hours isn't generating millions for the school. I don't think college athletes should be paid by the university but they should be allowed to get a job, obtain gifts and make their own money by selling autographs.

I don't see why they shouldn't get their fair share of what they bring into the school, their horseshit degrees accounted for I'm sure. How do you even begin to determine what that fair share is? I don't know, but unionizing sounds like a good start, and has precedent now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

Don't say things you can't take back. The NCAA is a way better organization the FIFA.

Yeah FIFA's literal slaves don't even get worthless degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thehustler posted:

I just remembered that in America you get loving televised high school sports. High schools. It's mad.

Only in like west buttfuck texas will you see that.

• Locked thread