Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not showing up in Hbogo?

According to the Twitter account, it'll be up the following day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shakugan posted:

"Upload time"? TV execs wonder why piracy of tv shows is so rampant (hint: it has something to do with pirated streaming sites having 720p streams up within ~3 minutes of airing finishing). Want to compete with illegal service providers? Try providing a better service than them and you know, not wait a whole day (or even a minute) for no reason at all to upload episodes of shows. There's no reason at all that services like HBOGo shouldn't have episodes available as soon a they begin airing. If you prefer people to watch on TV because of increased ad revenue, just have increased ads if someone is watching at the same time it's airing on TV. Jesus Christ, it's not hard.

I can see it being a combination of CDN screwiness combined with the relatively short time between "filming concludes" and "episode airs". If nothing else, there's a lot less time between the two than there is with Game of Thrones.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shakugan posted:

The intended reason is so more people will watch the show live, resulting in increased ad revenue (because more ads are shown and are "unskippable" during live broadcast)

...on HBO.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Start the reactor, QuaidJohn.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I know income inequality and how impossible it is to discuss is a serious problem, but I'm still stuck on the fact that a man literally named "Harding" didn't use that when naming his penis.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

uublog posted:

I really hope his extended segment this Sunday is on what's happening in Ferguson. It fits the qualifier of "barely noticed by MSM"! *weeps*

Looks like you got your wish.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/503732701183348737

No new episode tonight. :(

But they are putting up a Youtube vid as a consolation. I wonder what happened.

They went on vacation for a couple of weeks, apparently.

Here's the video, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWtbMb8Fhw

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

When is this show available on HBOGo?

Usually around noon EST the following Monday.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The Jeanette Rankin Women's Scholarship Fund (one of the three groups that John Oliver mentioned towards the end of the Miss America segment) has taken the time to send out personal, physical thank-you cards to everyone who donated in the wake of the episode.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm pretty sure they already did a story on the Winter Olympics bullshit.

It was a short four-minute bit, but yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKf-fAekds

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Game of Thrones and pointless sexualization. It's like every single Skyrim mod combined into one photo.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
In case anyone wasn't paying attention to the credits for that episode: yes, they were entirely serious about the new addition.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Offler posted:

That's quite impressive! You not only managed to not read the thread, you couldn't even bother reading the actual post you quoted carefully enough to realize that DoggPickle is a woman before stomping in and calling her "dickless" and "fagget"! Why even bother posting at that point?

If you ask me, the two of them deserve each other.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

I remember hearing a while ago that some GG guys were begging John Oliver to cover their crusade. So Twitter's going to be hilarious over the next 24 hours and possibly a few days beyond that.

Between that and the inevitable Scalia descent on Obergefell v. Hodges, I'm wondering if I'm going to need to find an antidote for schadenfreude poisoning.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

I love the term SJW because as soon as someone uses it as some sort of insult or whatever I instantly know how worthless their opinion is really cuts out a lot of guesswork.

So basically, "SJW" as pejorative is the linguistic equivalent of the Confederate flag?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

axelsoar posted:

Wait, a guy is having a woman speak on his behalf to talk about feminism? the gently caress?

As I understand it, the two of them work together on the videos. And I'm pretty sure Anita'd take the blame for anything that gets said regardless even if all she did was make sure the camera didn't spontaneously explode.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also an actual Laibach cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VMDxSyLAU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

And now, I know, lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's been like that ever since "politician" became something you do your entire life. Ancient Greek democracy was basically something you did as a side job before you went back to your normal life, kind of like jury duty. Somehow we took that idea and figured the best thing to do with it was create a class of people who spend their entire lives as politicians. Then those people have kids and those kids become politicians themselves.

Politics is out of touch with reality because the only people politicians ever meet are other politicians.

I'm guessing you missed the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Get off my lawn! *shakes cane angrily*

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

Whenever this question comes up, I always think back to that Crossfire interview Jon did back in... gently caress, 2004? And his response to this exact criticism, "You're on CNN! The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."

That interview is, I'm pretty sure, the only reason that anyone still remembers that Crank Yankers ever existed. And I'm including the people who worked on the show in that "anyone".

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Steven Joyce clearly didn't think his tweet all the way through.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My only regret about tonight's episode was that Yorba Linda never came up.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sereri posted:

Should've gone with Trans-union to be honest, a union for transsexuals or something.

You need something worse than the real thing, though. That particular bit of confusion would just make me think better of Transunion.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

I love musicals but I generally don't like rap/hiphop and it took me a few songs to warm up to it, but now it's awesome.

That was almost literally the exact reaction of my father -- a 60-something white guy. So yeah, just because you're not a fan of the specific music genre that it's largely associated with doesn't mean you'll dislike Hamilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

thehustler posted:

If you enjoyed the discussion about scientific reporting and accuracy then you could do a lot worse than get involved with your local skeptics group where we talk about this poo poo all the time.

Yeah, but then you have to meet the kind of people who get involved in any sort of organized skepticism. And that can be kind of a crapshoot.

• Locked thread