Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of the anti-circumcision people are uncircumcised themselves. Because I have heard some crazy poo poo that people would know was absolutely not true if they asked even one circumcised man.

I mean the original logic behind circumcision being a common practice is fairly stupid (It'll stop them from masturbating!), so there's not really any point to getting it done, but going beyond "it's actually pointless" as a reason not to get it done is just getting into insane hyperbole and if someone does have it done it really doesn't matter.
leave the baby penis alone. When you see a newborn baby, resist the burning urge to start loving with his penis. With each other's support, we can get through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

The fact that you watch the same shows I do (because I keep reading your dross in all the threads I follow) seriously worries me.
And yet you took the third desperate bait he's thrown out for attention? C'mon son.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Was the LGBT bit part of the main segment?

pwn
May 27, 2004

It ain't basically like debtor's prisons, it is debtor's prison.

That judge going YOU WANNA TAKE IT OUTSIDE I WILL FIGHT YOU IRL was unbelievable, but holy poo poo that the defender didn't miss a beat and lept into the fight head-first. That's the guy I want representing me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

speshl guy posted:

Has technology evolved to the point where you can just search [Fox News Analyst Name] [Embarassing Phrase/Gesture] into a big database or do need a couple interns sifting through years and years of garbage looking for something specific.

"Godammit Lou you missed John McCain's July 16th, 2003 crying baby joke retelling, you're fired!"
The system pioneered at TDS was recording all the news and, yes, searching the recordings' closed captioning. So you want to find all mentions of "war on christmas" you punch that it, cut it together, get paid.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Atomizer posted:

I missed last week's episode of LWT because my U-Verse DVR has been making GBS threads a brick and deleting recorded programs, most likely due to a worn-out HDD. Unfortunately, the replacement DVR they sent us, which is clearly used/refurbished, is doing the same thing, but that's another story. :sigh:

Anyways, I went on HBO GO to catch the episode, and while they have a thumbnail from each episode to presumably help you recognize ones you've seen before, most of the images look like this:

:downs:
They need to get the same person who does their YouTube page:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I was watching an old SNL last night, Ben Affleck / N.E.R.D. from March 2004, and the 12:55 sketch used "Janice from Accounting"

The Full Moon Killer

Either an SNL writer from that era now works on LWT, or it's just a good name/profession combo for comedy writing. Betting on the latter.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is the first topic Oliver's covered where him and I are in disagreement. Stark disagreement, at that. The arguments he made were facile.

The main point, "it costs more to make a penny than the penny's worth!," is true. The flipside of that coin is that dimes and quarters costs far less to make than the coin's face value - in 2014, about 4 and 9 cents, respectively. That year, the US Mint made $289 million worth of coinage after the costs of production, including the loss from pennies and nickels.

The secondary point, which boils down to "people don't bother picking up a penny," well, in those big cities, that appears to be true. I've never lived in NYC or San Francisco, but in smaller cities I've lived in, pennies are appreciated. However, I realize the rest of the country which resides outside of the big cities wherein these shows tape doesn't exist/matter, so I'll concede that point.

Finally, the notion of getting rid of the ha'penny in 1867, when we were all primates I guess, so what's stopping us now?? A half-penny, by definition, is a fraction of a denomination, not a denomination in itself. It was a necessity of the time, when a penny had more value. Simply put, if a dollar is 100 units, you have to be able to break it into 100 units.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There's a difference between the death of a retired Fucker and an active Fucker

pwn
May 27, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

This is a pretty stunning level of cognitive dissonance. The only victims when we "burn it all down" will be the poor and middle class.
I've been unemployed for almost two years and living in poverty for my whole life. I'm done with right of center shitheads who only pay lip service to me. That said Bernie will win the nomination, so this is a non-issue.

Pillow Hat posted:

People saying they would vote for Bernie but not Hillary seem like they don't recognize the importance of SCOTUS. It is so myopic.
Is Obama still trying to find a conservative to replace Scalia? I sure do want four more years of this poo poo.

The SC bogeyman doesn't work anymore. You're a tribal sucker for your team if you still think the Democratic establishment has the interests of the poor in mind.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pillow Hat posted:

There will be at least two SCOTUS appointments by the next president regardless of what happens with Scalia's seat.

POTUS is not the only thing you vote for, and it's certainly not the only thing that matters. Local elections are important and your vote matters.
Here in Wisconsin, you can no longer get food stamps if you're unemployed (and not disabled or a single mother.) I sure was ready to believe it was the fault of the POS Republicans who came into power in 2010, but nope! It was the Democratic-controlled 2007 Senate* what made my miserable existence even more gruelling! :buddy:

*The law only went into effect last year after being suspended during the financial crisis. Thank god that's over whew

Edit

Pillow Hat posted:

I can't tell if this is an obvious troll or what. I love Bernie and if I had my druthers he'd be the nominee, but it's not going to happen. Period.
No troll, Bernie is going to be the next president.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 1, 2016

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pillow Hat posted:

What you are saying is awful I agree, but it is not at odds with anything I said.
Voting for local democrats my whole life has let me down in my time of need.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post, don't worry I'm not staying home in the alternate universe timeline where Bernie's not on the ballot in November.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 1, 2016

pwn
May 27, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I earned this avatar, buddy.

I don't want to go deep into the philosophy of it, because I really hate trump and have put a fair amount of money and time in for Bernie so I can vote for a candidate I want, but I don't like the prospects of the DNC after hillary clinton if she wins. A victory for moderate/conservative democrats on the national stage will pretty much ensure the party is pulled further to the right, and frankly I'm willing to put up four or eight years of abject misery under a horrible idiot in order to keep the party at least where it is, if not push it to the left in the interim. This just won't be possible with a hillary president.
More or less, I agree. I still can't bring myself to vote for Trump in the event of it being Trump vs. Hillary. Maybe Ventura?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fear of a Trump World.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sorry, this video is not found or no longer available due to date or rights restrictions.

:saddowns:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Is that to do with libel laws, or is the UK broadcaster a poo poo?

Or both

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pretty sure Roker was making sardonic commentary on this very subject, John. Don't yell at Al Roker you limey twit, he's a national treasure t:mad:

pwn
May 27, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

The intro was heart-breaking. Watching him after the opening jingle sitting there, not drumming on the desk like usual, looking somber, then watching him slip into his persona like putting on a jacket, was both heart-breaking and impressive.
I think they tape the show on Saturday, the intro was taped after the show without an audience.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Atomizer posted:

I had no idea this movie existed. :shobon:
How do you make a sequel to a film called Now You See Me and not call it, Now You Don't?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also there won't be a new episode until July 24.

But here's this week's web exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQwMCQFgQgo

Happy Independence Day!

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

This was in the early 1990s. In these small towns, tanning beds were often in, believe it or not, video rental stores.
Oh thank god this is a thing beyond my hometown. In my early 20s I worked in a video store / tanning salon, and was perplexed as to why these disparate businesses were paired together. I can only guess it was a low-overhead supplemental revenue stream to compliment the rentals. Or,

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, the operating costs are basically "buy 4 tanning beds (maybe), rent a small strip mall spot, pay electricity and a bored teenager to man the counter."

pwn
May 27, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I think the most shocking/telling point so far was how Reince Priebus immediately accidentally called the 2-term President of the United States of America "osama" three loving times in a row.

Second amendment solutions may be necessary from the left as well
I googled the Priebus thing, and a cursory look reveals that he said this back in 2010, when he was the Wisconsin GOP chair. Also he was calling Osama Obama, not that it makes much difference, but facts is facts.

One hit came back for a piece posted yesterday on occupy democrats, which is one of those clickbait sites with misleading/unreliable info.

Finally, please don't call for violent action against elected persons on these forums as I enjoy these forums and do not want to lose them thank you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gyges posted:

I think the day of Trump's insane press conference, that made everyone say "wow", one of the late night shows made a point to describe a segment they worked on that had little to do with Trump directly, and then the news conference happened so they had to ditch the segment.
Aye, that was Seth. They threw out a planned Closer Look on healthcare.

Edit: The segment in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar-XQGtoB6o

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 21, 2017

pwn
May 27, 2004

Servaetes posted:

I mean for folks that aren't oorah Obama I can't fully blame them for immediately disliking a thing that bares his name. It's ignorant, sure, but I get it.

GutBomb posted:

Using the word panel makes it sound like a hearing where a judge or appointed official has the final say. The correct wording in the ACA is counseling not panel.
it's as though these phrases were specifically engineered to create negative public opinion of affordable health care

It really is a case study in effective marketing. Take something incredible that everybody should love, and make them hate it with words and repetition. It's really cool that this is reality. Cool

pwn
May 27, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

That NBC news segment about the KILLER WASHING MACHINE gave me ADD. What's with the loving crash-zooms, sudden cuts to black and white and camera shakes and tilts in the goddamn news?
To be fair to the rest of the NBC News division, that was a segment from the Today Show, and to be fair to the entire rest of the Today Show, that was a regular feature by Jeff Rossen, "Rossen Reports," a guy who obnoxiously files a consumer alert report every week by going and doing whatever the thing is (escaping from a flooding car for example.) It's a good enough idea but, uh, the presentation leaves something to be desired, as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-pZtVsCcY

pwn
May 27, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Basically, Ric Romero reports. It's pretty common I guess in local TV news, when people get tired of pet of the week and feel-good pieces about firefighters visiting cancer kids or some other similar bullshit.

my favorite fluff piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91_K-s4pMM
Exactly, local news. I expect this calibre of pseudo-investigative journalism from Action StormDoppler Team News 6, not so much from NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdE-WzSIGoQ

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn
May 27, 2004

Canned Panda posted:

I need to get myself a high quality screenshot of that Chef Boyardee funeral.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Drifter posted:

Voting (in a non-swing state) is literally like LIKE-ing a starving orphan in Somalia's Facebook page so you can say you helped them.
No, it isn't. Voting contributes a vote to a candidate. Liking a post about a starving Somalian orphan doesn't help them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tsob posted:

I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a €10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than €10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.
You've put more critical thought and research into this than 99% of the viewers who watched that "report."

pwn
May 27, 2004

Company Scrip for the 21st century. Amazing

pwn
May 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

He's 70 years old and also drugs.

Like, A LOT of drugs.

It's easy to think that Meatloaf is younger than he is because of when he was famous but the dude did not get famous young.
Rocky Horror came out 42 years ago, 2 months before NBC’s Saturday Night premiered

I wouldn’t say 28 is all that old.

pwn
May 27, 2004

You do. Come up with $17 a day if you don’t want to suffer withdrawals, peasant.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of methodone. No clue about suboxone.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There have been a number of episodes which briskly passed the 30-minute mark. But I imagine those are specially-arranged, or there’s an, “optional up to X amount of extended episodes” part of the contract.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Public figures are fair game.

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

quote:

:pwn:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Surprisingly, there’s a new episode listed for April 1.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Unless it's a loving joke. And I wouldn't put it past them.
It’s also Easter! Why take the week before Eostre off and work the week of Estre??

pwn
May 27, 2004

There may be problems fitting it all into 80 characters or whatever the limit is.

What would be good is if mods could edit a thread title to a longer length. Maybe when the new forums software drops in 21XX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Last Week Tonight: The John Oliver Koala Chlamydia Ward

• Locked thread