Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Toxxupation posted:

thirty for thirty....*tents fingers*....owns

but FNL owns harder and if you don't "get" why sports are important or positive influences on their communities in their purest sense after watching it, well

I couldn't get past season 2 it got too loving much about pregnancies and bad high school romance but that first loving season man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

UNDEFEATED

DOCUMENTARY

WON BEST DOCUMENTARY FROM THE ACADEMY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860355/

:perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect::perfect:

Toxxupation posted:

season 2 is generally regarded as both the worst season of the show and one of the worst examples of "Terrible season of a fantastic show"

personally speaking i find it better than 1 because 1 had the godawfu love triangle which just dominated everything and never knew how to write street

but yeah watch FNL dudes, it...owns

Can I just skip season 2?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WHAT WAS THE SUPER COMPELLING ONE ABOUT THE TWO RUSSIANS WHO GO PLAY AMERICAN BASKETBALL AND THAT ONE DUDE GETS TO loving PLAY WITH KOBE AND SHAQ

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Guys what I'm saying is that if sports documentaries that are phenomenal can't move your heart then you have no loving soul.

CLEAR EYES

FULL HEARTS

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

https://vimeo.com/36827025

BLOW YOUR loving MINDS WITH SPORTS.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8flLpb3zXA&t=81s

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How the gently caress did John say that stadiums look like they're designed by coked-up Willy Wonka, start talking about the Marlins, and not once mention what happens when they hit a home run?

I think it's because the dinger machine has been around a while and CLEARLY he couldn't top the comedy stylings of the MLB photoshop thread that one time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Please someone find that dinger gif thread in the MLB N/V thread it was way too loving funny.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IT"S STILL THE FUNNIEST THING THE WORLD

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Irish Joe is hiliarous when you just read the first and last sentence of his paragraphs

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't it, though? What was the gun for, if not to enact violence upon another human being?

Its easy to downplay your local marijuana dealer as just a normal high school/college kid trying to make some extra cash; a kid with no violent intention and a bright future ahead of him. Yes, it is regrettable that some dolphins might get caught up in our tuna nets, but when you can walk down the street without getting shot, you'll know it was worth it.

What dumb thing was in the middle? Who knows, who cares!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love how it was deemed unconstitutional not because of the injustice of being put in jail for longer than what the crime really deserves, but instead it being deemed unconstitutional because you couldn't lock someone up as long as you wanted to. Perfect right?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Pfft, who put this 'cruel and unusual' thing here, must be a typo!

No no it was within the constitution. It would be unusual to not let a judge judge the case the way they want to and should totallllyyy be able to judge outside the confines of the law makes sense, iT MAKES 100% SENSE.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

Sorry in advance for being that one contrarian goon, but screw it. This has been gnawing at me for the past couple of months.

I haven't regularly tuned in to Last Week Tonight for a couple of months because ever since the Snowden interview, the show format has gotten stale and predictable. It's still funny, but week in and week out, the format has almost always been as follows:
  • Five-to-ten minute roundup of world news.
  • An "And Now..." segue. Hardly ever anything else these days because it's cheaper to rattle off a bunch of news clips, and apparently HBO is skimping John on production money (sorta defeats the purpose of him going to HBO in the first place, but I don't call the shots).
  • A main story that can always be summed up as "America sucks because of X public policy." At least when they did that with domestic spying, they had one hell of an interview lined up. When this is the topic every week, not even someone as funny as John can sugarcoat things enough to get me to tune in.
John is too talented and funny to let this show stagnate. It's a shame that it kinda has. I don't see why he doesn't do a main story on, say, foreign elections- like he did in his very first episode with India- or another going-on (bonus points if he ties it in with American foreign policy) once in a while. Americans are pretty ignorant of the world around them. And I know he can't do a big effort story like Jeff We Can every week, but he hasn't done something big like that in a while. We're overdue for something that's not the same old thing, but with each passing week I lose faith that we're going to get that.

Yeah I think that's fair. I don't know if I'd go as far to say the show is stagnating because of it, but I certainly see the criticism and agree that there should be more international stories.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's amazing how bad abstinence only sex ed is vs the ladder which is what I had which ended being like 2 weeks of sex ed when I was in 7th grade, and it was pretty cool. We even did the question box where the teacher answered any question you dropped in the box so it was anonymous and honest. Also funny because kids came up with absurd question to try and break the teacher but at least you learned.

gently caress me how and when did you end up learning all of things you need to konw about sex florida men.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is it harder to come up with a mental illness than to come out gay?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've been classified as bipolar in the past, and I actually got some medication that helped with the depression (Pristiq). And then my insurance ran out and I've had to go back to living medication free and its been fairly brutal.

A LOT of conversations I have with friends go something like this....
"you seem down, are you struggling with that stuff?"
"Dude you don't want to know."
"I'm four beers in, hit me with it."
*I proceed to tell him/her exactly how I feel and my mental state.
"That's too much. You, uh, should, uh, talk to, uh, someone, about that."

And if that struggle exists within friends I've known for literal years, how I do even begin to share this sort of thing with a romantic interest?

I hope you find a way to get meds, it's really important to manage both the mania and the depression.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not at all. I'm bipolar, and having made glib jokes about the Crazy Bipolar Girlfriend roommate I had in college, the diagnosis was a tough pill to swallow.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup, though I wish I could say the jokes were just glib.

MVP posted:

Is there any evidence that shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver actually get anything done in terms of political reform?

Or is it just another "here's a problem, here's is a joke about it, let's move on" scenario?

Miss America scholarships was a definite thing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is true, but bipolar disorder is tricky since you have to manage both sides of the equation. Most patients do veer towards the depressive side, and that much is "easy" enough to deal with.

The manic side is trickier for a few reasons. Lithium is the all-purpose slegdehammer, but it can have brutal side effects and it it quite literally a difficult pill (or two, or three) to swallow. There's another one called Lamictal which I believe is lithium-based, but it's more referred to as a mood stabilizer than antimanic. It works if your symptoms aren't too severe, and in either case you really need to be using some kind of antidepressant as well.

I mean, think about it. There are extremely debilitating and opposite conditions that have to be dealt with simultaneously, and if you go too heavily with meds on either side, it can trigger the worst of the other. Imagine a sine wave. The best one can really hope for is to lessen the intensity. So, a bipolar patient, even with the beat treatment and meds possible is going to have mood swings. Unfortunately, the hope is that they veer depressive because while sadness sucks, mania is downright dangerous.

What really shocked me, upon diagnosis, was how unheard of it is. Again with the crazy bipolar college roommate, but for some reason I thought it was common knowledge, but it isn't. This is why I'm inclined to say that even just saying the word, and that this is not only a thing but more common of a thing than anybody really realizes, is a good and powerful first step for now.

The bipolar disorder part of the brain is shared with the same part of the brain that causes epilepsies, so it's very common to find those drugs be shared with one another. Lamictal, latuda, and depakote are all ones that work for treating bipolar disorder. There's an assload of drugs are there to take that can help, and why it's important to have regular visits with a psychiatrist to get your medications and especially your dosages right. Lithium is great and all but you need more in your life to really get there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

They say that the law is supposed to be about more substantive persuasiveness and not just someone stating their opinion.

I wish he had more time to just have this anger him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

When I was 18 I got kicked out of my dad's house and had to go move in with my mom, but she lived in a different state. In a the very liberal state of washington, to be able to get a license starting from scratch I had to

• Go to the social security office and start there to get a social security card. 5 dollar fee, about 2 weeks to get it
  • Use the social to apply for a birth certificate, but i was born in california. Had to deal with the california offices to get my birth certificate back, going back and forth. Total time 2 months (thanks cali)
  • Then I needed an alternative ID, which, THANK GOD they took my learners permit which was just a piece of paper. Otherwise I'd need a bill in my name (while living with my mom?) or join a local club that'd let me register as me

If I had been working on top of it then yeah good the gently caress luck getting a stupid ID card if anything in your life happens. Thankfully I had my mom who could drive me everywhere on top of it, which I would have been hosed had i have to bus. Also there's no law saying you need to carry an ID, so, if you're black and you don't feel like getting in trouble, don't carry an ID and say nothing to police. They can take you in, but they won't cause of all the work if you just shut the gently caress up.

Voter ID laws are intended to suppress poor people and minorities from voting.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Every job I've ever had required me to show a photo ID and social security card to gain employment there. I would think most working people have IDs already and the people having trouble getting ID are not employed (or not employed legally).

You're only legally required to get someone's social security number so you can pay taxes. The restaurant and construction industry would be dead if ID's were a requirement.

Also non working people turns out have a right to vote too so what does working have to do with anything!!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What the gently caress would you do after 10 years? go back to the courts?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Gyges posted:

Edit:With some sort of set rotation you know exactly who is rotating out and how the court is going to be changed with a new President. Which isn't necessarily bad, but there's something to be said for not taking into account exactly who is being replaced on the bench come November.

A lot of bullshit would then happen where justices "retire" early so that certain presidents can nominate for their party and such and such bullshit it'd make it really political thus defeating the purpose of the courts.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke, because that is exactly what they do now.

It happens but not with that much frequency.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I work with a lot of these taxes in payroll.

They're a loving nightmare and a half.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

webmeister posted:

Yeah fair enough, I guess that makes sense. But I still don't really see why a state government couldn't control fire departments or hospitals, as opposed to essentially unelected interested parties with very little oversight?

You'd politicize the money aspect of it immensely having it completely run by the state. America is big on representation and having your state manage the processes really is unamerican at its core in comparison to a small local government.

Oversight is the issue not the thing itself.

Also they have an incredible amount of power to force you to pay anything which he went into with people but mother gently caress do they have power over businesses.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

No LWT but we do have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNS4lecOaAc

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Pillow Hat posted:

Any more advice about getting bullshit removed? I have successfully disputed one item on my credit report in the past -- a medical bill that should have been paid by workman's comp (and eventually was). But I have a bad account on my report still. This is the situation: I had a CapitalOne card, which I canceled (because they're a bad company to work with) with zero balance. Months after canceling, CapitalOne permitted a charge from Amazon (annual Prime membership fee). I moved addresses and didn't tell CapitalOne since I had no open accounts with them. The unpaid balance accrued interest and ultimately resulted in a charge off.

How can I get this god drat poo poo off my report? It's dishonest.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

It's a very good thread about how to deal with credit agencies especially with getting items removed from your credit report, and the incentive the CR companies and the creditors use.

swickles posted:

Don't pay anything, get everything in writing and write down the name, time and if they have one, the ID number of anyone you talk to. You can start by asking (in writing, USPS Certified mail with confirmation of delivery etc.) for them to verify the debt. Usually that resolves a good chunk of bullshit. Otherwise submit your evidence of cancellation and continue down that road.

Step one always get a debt verification inwriting and if you don't ask for it to be removed and they have to.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hope the hell do you check it out if it's 1000s of dollars? Just listen to the soundtrack?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I have to say that this episode annoyed me because of the topic more than anything. I hate how everyone hates tax breaks and the "they took our jobs" loving attitude of sending jobs overseas and Puerto Rico does it then we're supposed to feel bad for them when they have our jobs, then we're supposed to feel even more bad when we take them back loving which oen do you want america.

Also Puerto Rico doesn't pay federal taxes, just payroll taxes and even on that they don't pay until they make something absurd like 40k dollars, and universal health care, and they spent themselves into a dumb mess that the're currently in.

They need a bail out, I get john is asking for a patch fix but they need a loving bailout like crazy. They also shouldn't be tied to america if they want to pull off stunts like this.

Did I mention pretty much nobody pays taxes in Puerto Rico?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

You do realize they did that to get people to come and get some income into the commonwealth? Also how can they be taking our jobs when they are American citizens?

Right and why did we cut section 936? To help the commonwealth? To keep jobs in PR?

socialsecurity posted:

If all those poor people without jobs would just pay more taxes all of their problems would go away.

Someone should pay taxes. Someone and yes that includes people making 20-40k a year

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also was this the one where they talked about that stupider than poo poo port rule that PR has to follow to "import" good into the country? I get my sources mixed up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Practical Demon posted:

Did you miss the part where almost half the population is below the poverty line? Yes, a lot of things need to be fixed in Puerto Rico, but it's not the citizens' faults. The US set up their economic rules to benefit the US, some corrupt PR politicians didn't do much to make it better, then the US kept making it worse, and now lovely US business people are preying on them.

Yeah, that'll happen every time.

Dumbshoe what is the poverty line amount? If you look it up you'll see I didn't miss it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

45% of the population is below the poverty line and the median income is 19,000

Is that below or above 20k?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Those comments are so full of :salt: from Bernie supporters over facts like these are the vote counts it's loving great.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

John didn't really get into it because it wasn't really the point, but there are a shitload of federal protections for dealing with debt collectors, in which every violation you could sue for 1,000 dollars which include an additional phone call when you have done a DNC, being threatened, attempting to collect on debt without proven you owe the debt, things like that.

Not a lot of education out there on it, but it's there for the taking.

MrPablo posted:

How did they do it? Under the guise of preventing fraud, they changed the law to exclude student loans:

The bill was actually a handout to banks and credit card companies.

You're not being honest. Lawyers would go to school, rack up all the debt they possibly could then file bankruptcy and discharge 300k in loans. After that just pay in cash for 7 years and you're g2g.

It's gross that this still exists.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

If anyone could take a loan on ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD then file for bankruptcy who would be stupid enough to issue a loan for ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD.

You can't keep what the money was loaned to you for it's called collateral. If i loan you 30000 to buy a car and you can't make payments i get a car at the end of it. There is zero collateral in a student loan so there is no incentive to pay

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

"There for the taking" is assuming a lot.

The people who would need to invoke those protections and sue are the people working 12 hour days likely at two jobs. They have neither the time nor the money to bring suit against these debt collectors.

Even if they can find someone to take their case for free, the simple act of taking time off to show up in court is likely beyond what they can afford to do.

This is a prime example as to why there needs to be government entities that are specifically tasked with enforcing regulations. Someone working minimum wage shouldn't be required to lawyer up to gain protection or collect punitive damages under the law.

you do it in small claims court, a lot of it is DYI. It's lovely but it exists.

MiddleOne posted:

This is why the state issues student loans in sane countries. Your future prosperity is always an investment for the state.

We have a lot of federal loans that can get that big though!

The issue still stands where teh state takes a hit for 500k in your scenario because of *reasons*. You're solving the wrong thing and you shouldn't be able to discharge loans.

Though you really shouldn't be able to amass more than 50 but... you know how it goes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Sorry, I'm not as read up on this as I'd prefer to be. What in particular are you referring to?

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized#how-much

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Fluorescent posted:

Anyone who can't afford to pay for college at all wouldn't be able to finish college on 50k. Just two years at my undergrad institution would've exceeded that.

ok? and?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You are completely glossing over the time aspect of it. Even filling out the forms is likely to require a visit to a government office, an office that is likely closed wherever the person isn't working. The justice system is only really accessible to those that have some autonomy in their work hours, these people don't fall into that group. The cost benefit analysis of potentially losing a job in order to maybe get some money out of a debt collection agency doesn't work out.

These people were what, 86 million americans? Stop making up a magic american. I'm just saying that the entire thing isn't doom and gloom because there are some things that can be done.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 7, 2016

• Locked thread