Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cosmik Debris posted:

Wow. I feel so loving stupid. After playing this game for 100+ hours, I only now realized that burner inserters refuel themselves when inserting coal. So, the problem I had with my power system is that the boiler inserters were electric powered and they would turn off when the grid crashed, preventing the system from being able to run since the inserters couldn't put coal in the boilers anymore. To get aroudn this I always had a separate turbine running those inserters, and the electric network was tricky and sometimes I would accidentally connect them together and then get a blackout.

And all I had to do was use loving burner inserters, those "why are they even in the game" inserters, because I didn't realize they would refuel themselves. I kept running around putting coal in them by hand.

God dammit. I love this game.

:negative:

I remember when that feature was added. Check this out:

code:
CC>v
CC-v
1 burner miner + 1 burner arm + 3 belts = THE COAL MINES ITSELF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Moddington posted:

This trick gets even niftier when you realize that you can replace the burner inserter and the belts with another burner miner instead.

No, I can't - there's no coal there. The idea isn't unattended mining of two stacks of coal, it's to set up a coal supply for my boilers without needing to run power to it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I like having my big yellow-chest depot near my factory lines, so I can construct and dismantle production lines to/from storage. Thus, I purple-chest all of my buildables - belts, factories, arms, etc - and use green arms to make sure they're not getting unloaded into the logistics network unless I'm running low.

vvv EDIT: Yeah, green arms get the logistics network if they're physically in range of it, and then they can be set to only offload into a provider if there's < x of the thing in your network.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 14, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ratzap posted:

This is good practice like other posters have already noted (but it bears repeating). Put some of everything into the network, any line you have, every item assembled -> put it into passive or storage with a smarty set up to limit it (I also set the filter to the same item so it's easy to see what thing the smarty will try to move). It just makes life so much easier knowing that if you need something, anything, you can get robots to bring you some rather than run around like a mad thing trying to find where it is.

I usually use my logstics bar to keep a singleton of every relevant buildable in my pocket for drone-stamping, and maybe 25 green circuits to clean blueprints with. Never pick up your own toys, kids - that's what the drones are for!

I am very slow at learning that it's more important to optimize for space in the future (by building poo poo far apart) than it is to optimize for space in the present (by cramming everything in as tight as possible). If you go to the trouble of spawning a world with water only in the starting area, build your production line outside of the starting area.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

SinineSiil posted:

I understand how first one works but could someone explain how second one works? How are items seemingly moving diagonally?

In the bottom example, the items are actually traveling on the underground belts, because they're being peeled off at the entrances.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sage Grimm posted:

And always more iron and copper and holy poo poo so many circuits...

The first time you get a really good, efficient green arm factory going to feed your blue science factories, you will realize that it drinks circuits, and circuits drink copper.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I am very aggressive about cleaning off my old blueprints when I don't need them anymore. You guys know you can do that, right? Right-click the blueprint, it costs you one green circuit and then you can use it for something else. You should only need 3-4 "permanent" blueprints, I'd think.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Garfu posted:

How do I fix this?

I just got back into this, still getting my bearings

edit: Aww poo poo when I alt tabbed it turned off the overlays, eh I guess it doesn't matter that much.

A minimal side-balancer looks like this: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=File:Transport_belts_balance2.gif

The root cause will be because all of your factories are feeding from the same side of the belt preferentially.

It's probably not a big deal to have your belt-sides unbalanced like that. Iit DOES look like you're unloading from the smelters onto both sides of your belt, and it also looks like your factories are all capable of loading from the other side of the belt if the exhaust the empty side, so overall you're not missing anything, your factory just looks dumb.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Chunjee posted:

An extra belt in this green area might help a little, though you will have more iron on your left belts.
Everything has to go through this red area, the slowest splitters. That's why it's backed up behind there.

Actually, just delete the first splitter and juke the input belts to feed the second splitter. The result will be identical.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I want a mod with a research that makes it so when the train hits me, it dies instead.

(No I don't. But I'd like a GIF of that happening.)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jabor posted:

If you're using a blueprint then you can just force-place to get rid of trees, so I don't get why you're calling FARL cheaty for that particular reason and not for any of the other things it brings to the table like "being able to move at train-speed instead of however fast your bots can place stuff".

What is the button to do this?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also when you want to take the one belt you carry in your pocket and shift-drag a new swath of bus, and the personal bots snatch it out of your hands to go install it. :argh:

Speedball posted:

Hmm, so if I want to pave huge areas with pre-designed stuff, I'm gonna need to have all the stuff that will be built either in my inventory already, including facilities, or in Logistics storage. Looks like I might need to automate a hell of a lot more stuff, then.

Hmm...automate the creation of automated factories....doable!

You can just stamp down the blueprint and then check the tooltip on the warning next to your hotbar to see what things it can't find. Then build those things and logistics-trash them and the problem solves itself!

But yes, assemblers building assemblers are good to have.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This should be a gif of a yellow arm moving a fish from one wooden crate to the other.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Green circuits are the only intermediate product I put on a bus, and I do it because:
  1. They're used in a huge number of later recipes.
  2. They're used in large quantities, necessitating lots of parallel production capacity.
  3. Producing them efficiently requires that 3->2 factory setup, which doesn't fit into other factories.
Gears I just make out of plates on the spot.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gibbo posted:

So I think I'm finally going to Man up and try out the bobs kids, but Jesus he's one busy furry. Which mods do I actually need or want?

Why Phone Posting is Bad, a play in one sentence.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lorini posted:

I know I replaced them so they were going the right way, but power could be an issue, thanks.

Replacement doesn't guarantee same facing. Always double-check.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Evilreaver posted:

Flame Turrets are so astoundingly efficient, I just drop 10-20 barrels in an unbottler and a whole TrumpWall™ is good for 10+ hours, minimum.

Trip report from having played a mod where you could put any liquid in a barrel: Having drones deliver barrels as needed is cool and good as hell. Make them bring back the empties, too.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Soylent Purple: Turn biters into bite-size snacks!

killing non-human non-sentient things in order to eat them isn't all that horrifying

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

seravid posted:

I feel like I'm missing something.

I'm building a mining outpost when suddenly, a tornado/firestorm/Godzilla lays waste to my oil processing plant. Now, the situation is either handled automatically or it needs my direct intervention. If it's automated, then I have researched and constructed whatever safeguards/defenses needed and can keep building the outpost in peace. Disasters are never seen, they're just another red triangle in the bottom of the screen.

If it requires my intervention, I'll have to stop my current task and hop on the train. Like biter attacks, that's bound to become extremely annoying after X hours. Anyway, three minutes later I'm at the base and I'll wait for the tornado to pass/put out the fire/kill Godzilla (somehow), then select my "oil processing plant" blueprint and... I don't actually need it because bots have already reconstructed everything that's been destroyed. I hop back on the train, heading for the mining outpost.

Bolded the part you're missing. If it's automated, then you automated it. Building a system redundant and robust enough to self-repair after random failures is an interesting and fun challenge.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

seravid posted:

Yes, you'd have to set up a production chain and whatnot but, after that's done, the disasters (there was mention of storms and hurricanes) - which would take significant resources for the devs to create - would never be witnessed. If a hurricane falls sweeps through your factory doing zero damage (thanks to automated repairs) and no one is around to see it, is it a worthwhile addition to the game?

Again, you're walking right past it. What happens when lightning strikes manage to segment your drone network? Are you supplying drone hubs to your logistics network? How long does it take to get that back online so your drones can deal with the fire on the other side? Do you build dual-redundant drone hubs forever or do you work to make sure ALL parts of your factory can be quickly replaced? Maybe you set up blueprints such that replacement hubs get banked in requester chests throughout the mesh.

A disaster system creates logistics problems to solve. "Hurr durr well once they're all solved that's just boring." Once you're launching a rocket every minute, that's just boring. Anything is boring once it's over.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How many coal worth of steam fit in a tanker car? This is the worst idea.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nevets posted:

A tip on smelter design: Design your rows of smelters so the input & output belts run in the same direction. That way the first smelter to have ore available is also the first smelter on the output line. Once you start adding productivity modules you can prioritize putting them in the smelters that are always active vs the ones that don't run when you have an input shortage or output saturation.

I still prefer opposite direction input/output lines so I can have the body of the smelter line hang away from the factory, extending as needed.

But I also co-belt ore and coal. Once I get electrics I just kind of rebuild into my standard bus-belt configuration.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

metasynthetic posted:

I wound up googling this. Thought maybe it was named after a Polish physicist or something :v:

I messed around with this game a little bit before but never got far. Looks like I got re-interested at the perfect time! Got trains running for the first time, bots for the first time, even messing with the circuit logic. I felt so proud that I realized my solution to having brownouts that crashed my power grid, killing my coal miners, then leading to blackouts was:

- only use burner miners to mine coal
- have them refueled from their own output by burner arms
- use burner arms to load coal into the boilers

I absolutely love burner mining coal. The coal mines itself!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

how much lead space does there need to be before the critical section? like, one of my big ones right now is just two unrelated two-way train lines meeting in a #, and I'd like to keep them from ever possibly crashing, do I need to allow some braking space?

also, do we still need to keep tracks widely separated going around curves? I remember there used to be trouble with paired tracks going around curves too close

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

got it, no need for lead space. and making sure I understand the earlier posts: for an intersection block, chain signal goes on the entrances, regular signal goes on the exits? I think I've been doing all mine backwards lol

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Electric and Steel furnaces are exactly the same speed, right? I tend to run Steel furnaces long after I get electrics just because they take up less space. I'm up to the point where I realistically need to build a smelt plant separate from my main factory. I could do it with electrics and steam delivery, or I could just build it near a coal seam... (and eventually deliver fuel to it anyway)

EDIT: oh I guess electric furnaces can run modules, if you're some kind of NERD

EDIT EDIT: anybody got any bright ideas how to handle research via train? do I just need six separate dropoff stops?

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 25, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

saihttam posted:

\
Also, whats the true use of 4-lane? I use some blueprint splitters from https://wiki.factorio.com/tutorial:main_bus and what's the benefit of 4-lane? Just to make sure you get materials to the "end" of the bus? should I split from any other lane than the left most or right most when I split?

every belt has a throughput limit, so more bus belts = more stuff = bigger factory

side-preference splitters make it kind of impractical to care which side of the bus you split off from. if your right-side tap isn't getting enough stuff, you can use a staircase of three right-output splitters before it to force every possibly item as far right as it can go

generally a ton of really fancy splitter tech got obsoleted by side-preference splitters and nobody's bothered cleaning it out of the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess I really don't get the advantage of the splitters in this design. It looks like the same basic belt side feed design that I hate except now it has splitters. The unload is slower because you're only using 8 inserters per car rather than 12.

I don't mind the slower unload, but am curious why splitters instead of just a t-junction of belts: >^<