Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I burned myself out making this 18K SPM Factorio Extended Plus belt base.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU

Then I made some Smelter updates...

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE

The latest Smelter, while pretty, was horrible for UPS with all the buffer warehouses, so I removed them all and some extraneous balancers(not pictured) and replaced them with inline titanium chests for a small buffer between trains. Making like 1.5Million/min iron plates at 58-60 UPS now. Changed signaling from stacker to drop off stations and throughput is sufficient for uninterrupted production.

After I prettied up the smelters for steel and copper to match the updated iron plate design I had planned on remaking the science base in a similar fashion but my brains is mashed potatoes going back to figuring out a decent layout which would require a lot of belt re-routing and redesigning some blocks for different input methods.

Everything running full steam gets about 40 UPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks guys. I know 12 beacon designs can look like boring boxes, but I enjoy the challenge of belt routing and getting things to fit within those limitations. Most of them aren't possible without the Extended purple underground belt length, and loaders. Sometimes you just can't fit 8 or 12 inserters to supply an assembly machine.

I thought about train length first and settled on 4-16-4 for raw ore for the smelters and 4-12-4 for regular base trains(a few 2-8-2 for low volume and on-demand supply for outparcel factories like for belts, beacons, modules etc..) In this case for 18K, with Extended, 12 cargo wagons is a good multiple for the number of belts needed for the majority of the builds. For example the green circuit builds need 24 belts of copper and 24 belts of iron, red circuits need 48 belts of copper. If you scrutinize the overall science base you can clearly see that I started on the left with red circuits and worked east. I planned each build for the number of belts of the main ingredient. Some builds like the RCU's only need 3 belts worth of blue circuits total, but they get split to 18 belts because the adjacent Speed Module 1 build needs 18 green circuit belts so it's 18 rows tall. Splitting a belt with a 1-6 balancer is better than using 1 belt with 6 splitters down the line because you'll get a better distribution instead of the last row getting hardly any leftovers. That's how I worked out most of the builds. Some over produce 5%-10% but that's not a bad thing on this scale.

I was really happy when I just let it run worker cargo capacity 24 which is like 2 trillion packs or something ridiculous and it just worked without any hiccups for hours. But I hated looking at the brown ground so I started making the smelter look cool with the vanilla tiles. Sometimes the best creativity comes from working with a limited palette. Converting the science base would probably require help. Can you convert a normal save to a multiplayer?

Sheesh I tried building a pleasing 60spm yellow belt base the other day and failed miserably.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Purely a curiosity question - is there a reason for locos on both ends of trains? Is it just something that makes you happy or is there an actual in-game advantage for having locos at both ends?

My new Krastorio game my first few 1-2 trains were taking forever and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered that trains carry a hell of a lot more in Krastorio than they do in Vanilla, so my 1-2 trains are actually carrying as much as an x-8 train I think.

I keep the option open for double ended trains, depending on rail network. Partially aesthetic, partially to keep the station run up distance shorter/less belts. Plus i think they accellerate faster with all locos facing same direction.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Warehouses are Angels Warehouses from Angels mods, available separately.

Mining is typical setup, nothing special. Trains from outposts deliver to a central depot and then dedicated trains from depot to smelter.

Ore patches last a long time when you're up to mining productivity 900 something.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cool, I'll probably post some blueprints on factorioprints.com or factorio.school, but I think the stations should be easy enough to replicate from the screenshots. Stations should work with blue belts and regular stack inserters.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm up to purple production tech cards in K2, seems pretty vanilla up to this point. Does it get crazy after this? Currently designing for 450 SPM as a start, been pretty reasonable up to blue cards and ratios work out very nicely.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

All hail the sacred god that is t3 production modules. Finally got around to upgrading my green circuits and holy gently caress this is insane. Ratios may not be exact but getting 1.9x the copper (in circuits) from copper plates is simply silly. And then there's the copper smelting which is another 1.2x...

so let's see. 50% mining productivity times 20% smelting prod times 40% copper wire prod times 40% green circuit prod times 40% red circuit prod times 40% blue circuit prod... that's stretching the base mines nearly 7x and that's not even counting science pack prod and lab prod.

maybe one of these days I'll actually build a proper megabase instead of just messing around with stuff. I'm building my blueprint books from scratch, though, so some messing around is needed.

Buddy, messin' about is how you lose track of several months.

1.5M Iron Plate/min & about 212K Steel/min in that screenshot. I've made some UPS improvements since then, chugs along at 56-60 UPS...making about 1M Copper Plates too.

Majere fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2020

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Wow. Any more screenshots?

Yes, an old album on Imgur. I've made a lot of improvements to "The Smelter Base" since then. Thinking of putting this save up as a multiplayer game to help rebuild the science base. It all works, but there are many improvements, aesthetic and logistic, to be made. It's a daunting task!

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU - Work in progress from last year. Kind of a first draft, if you will, to check function before rebuilding to form.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE - Improved Smelter Base. I've removed a bunch of redundant balancers and all the storage warehouses since these pics, they were killing UPS.

You can see how I'd like the main science base to have the same aesthetic as the "new" smelter. There are many improvements I'd like to implement with belt routing and overall layouts/placement.

I think a lot of it was a fevered dream...

Oh and in case you were wondering how many gears it takes to make just Purple Belts from Factorio Extended Plus (4500 items/min), they need their own sub-base.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Jesus man, 18k SPM is ridiculous. How is your ups generally? I'm doing a 2k right now and UPs already taking a hit cos of poor trains I think.

It depends what PC I'm on, my desktop (older i7, 16gb ram, with a gtx960?) can run the base at about 45-50 UPS, depending on whats going on, running science full steam. I think factorio hogs about 12gb of ram while this map is loaded. Creative Mode eats a little bit, maybe 5-7. Still some UPS optimizations to be done for the large production blocks. I need to figure out how to clock inserters to all swing at the same time with full hands...I saw some post about that on reddit or youtube base tour but I lost it. The biggest UPS killers for me have been inline warehouse(Angels) buffers and large balancers, 32+ belts. Have to keep splitters to a minimum, so any extraneous balancers have to go. Generally the bigger you go, the fewer things moving is better. The base has biters and pollution turned off as well, no need wasting cpu cycles on that nonsense!

If I'm on my laptop, I can just design. Still 60 UPS idle but chugs along at like 20 UPS as the base gets going.

I'm building a "scale model" 2.7K SPM blue belt base to help optimize layout, much easier to move things around and experiment. Although some designs are only possible with the extended underground length of the purple belts.... and loaders. Technically I could use only blue belts, but using Extended Plus cuts down the number of belts. For example we would need the equivalent of about 450 blue belts worth of copper plate vs a mere 260 purple belts.

TSM mod is a must for the amount of trains the base has. Helps regulate traffic. I think it will help yours as well if you think train pathing is an issue, usually it isn't unless you have 1000 trains trying to path on 2 rails or something.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Seablock was most assuredly written by a sadist.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lol, 283 hours later, "finally automated red science packs!" no.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

"NiceFill" uses the original terrain color (that would be underneath the water) when filling in water instead of just the one brown color.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Do we have any programming nerds here? My favorite calculator hasn't been updated since the switch from solid fuel to sulfur for chemical science. I've reached out to the author a few times but he doesn't seem all that interested in making the change.

https://github.com/barthuijgen/factorio-mods/tree/master/cost-calc

I liked this one because it plainly shows how much of each ingredient goes to the next intermediate, instead of say the kirk mcdonald one that has the spaghetti diagram. I find both versions of the "visualize" diagrams difficult to follow on screen.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rescue Toaster posted:

Unless there's some other magic it literally looks like a one line change
https://github.com/barthuijgen/factorio-mods/blob/master/cost-calc/src/data.json#L76
Just change that to "sulfur"

Yeah I made a website back in 1998 with html in notepad. I have no idea how any of this stuff works anymore :D

Taffer posted:

I'd move to an ingame mod for that if I were you. They're more dynamic and will work with any modded items/machines. I use factory planner, it's good. You can have a whole list of separate planned factories (I do this midgame to plan out ratios and amount for different builds e.g. red circuits). Then later you can have a whole top-down plan that uses sciences and lists all the ingredients you'll need as well as machine count/beacons for each input etc.

I'll give this one a shot. Looks it supports mods like Factorio Extended Plus as well which is a plus for me.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Does anyone like building stupid big 12 beacon stuff? Working on a 21.6K SPM (mostly) vanilla (using some QoL, TSM, and Editor Extensions for creative mode). May put the save up as a multiplayer game, so far I have the steel & iron/copper smelter designs done, a preliminary LDS, & rocket fuel. Currently working on space science first, which is a giant red circuit build, blue circuits & speed 1s for RCUs and somehow wire up 28 or 30 silos to be going nonstop!

https://factoriolab.github.io/list#...E0xm1tI7A3LfmnY

For a size/scale reference of the smelter needed....the train stations are for 2-12-2 trains. The copper section will be nearly twice as long as the iron one. So right now I'm working on the production blocks, once I have them basically designed the hard part is connecting them all in a manner that makes sense and looks neat.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, Mojo has some good stuff. I did an 18K Factorio Extended belt base that got 40-50 UPS on my laptop so I think it will run ok. That base used chest and/or belt stubs, but belts and inserters work a lot better now, so I've been able to make production blocks that don't use splitters or large balancers at all, drastically reduced the number of inserters, and use direct insertion wherever possible.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NachtSieger posted:

Is it possible to wire a requester chest in a way that it only get refilled up to its request limit, and then doesn't get refilled until it hits another number?

Yes with circuits. Sounds like you would need an "S-R Latch"

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Krastorio green belts take an insane amount of steel. It doesn't help that green underground belts take 25 normal belts.

I tried to upgrade from a red belt and a half of iron at my starter base to training in a green belt of iron and it was brutal. just making the green underground belts alone took multiple train loads of iron to feed my steel smelters. Thinking about trying to do the same thing again for steel is making me think about doing bot-based smelting instead. It's efficient but so boooring. Of course Krastorio steel requires two iron smelters per steel smelter so it kind of incentivizes moving away from belts at that point anyways. I much prefer regular factorio's neat 1:1 ratio which encourages setting up custom furnace lines for steel that go iron ore->iron smelter->steel smelter->steel plate output belt.

I assume green/purples are very similar to Factotio Extended tiers. I never finished this thing...but it worked well enough in testing.

Too Many Gears

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Here, I finished up part of muh big base. Made an effort post on reddit tho!

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/c...web2x&context=3

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

Also, I'm colorblind and the research screen is awful for me, there's absolutely no color difference between "things you can research right now" and "things you have already researched", and as far as I can tell there's no setting to fix that. Is there a mod?

They added colorblind options in the graphics settings a while ago.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I made a thing. Please hold your erections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHGzOKKu98

Blueprint of one section with the clock:

code:
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
You can tile it 8 times max in the direction of the coal belts. That will use about 170,000 Petroleum/min and just shy of 3 belts of coal. I use it with 6 tiles as shown for about 126,000 Petroleum/min. I think if you use 1-4 tiles you can get rid of the chest stubs. Any more tiles and the coal inserters spend too much time "hunting" for coal to pickup on the fast moving belt and don't insert in time for the cycle. A solution for that is to run 2 half belts in, but I'm not sure if the extra splitters needed for that are better than the extra inserters. Or just deliver half belts from a train unload. Do whatever you want! Except changing the distance between output inserters...the timing will get messed up. I tried compacting each column that one extra tile we don't need for each machine and it breaks.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't Bob Adjustable Inserters like some trivial 50 red and green science for research?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RUM hack posted:

tucked in the middle:

oh yeah hey just a 20-40% performance gain nbd

21K belt base back on the menu boys!

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Squeakthrough is a handy QoL mod. Especially when you are building a refinery with pipes everywhere. Long reach is nice as well if you set it to a reasonable distance so it's not too cheaty.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Diagonal belts are illegal. I would be wary about posting such obscenities.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Would be the same as rails...remember having curved rails?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Roflex posted:

I use a setup like this to weave in two belts without using long inserters. Uses a lot less undergrounds than traditional weaving; blue splitters are way cheaper on iron than blue undergrounds; and you can use all the same speed belt if you need to (and you don't have to worry about a misplaced upgrade planner misconnecting undergrounds). Main downside is you can only put beacons on the output side, but by the time you're doing big beaconed builds the other methods are more accessible. You could run the outer input belt underground between the splitters to fit a few beacons in on the input side if you really wanted to.

Why avoid long inserters? It would be more efficient than the splitters. The craft time of LDS is long enough for a single long to put in plastic and steel.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

You can see this if you turn on some of the debug options about showing paths and whatnot. The path is actually "stepped", 1 up 1 over to the game but visually they appear straight diagonal.

Im sure it was easier to fudge a train to not "vibrate" along diagonal sections than hundreds of items on a a belt.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Solumin posted:

I start my science production at 30 science/minute, since that's a nice, even number of machines that is easy to achieve for each science pack. Do any of you scale beyond that? And if so, what's your new target?

I'm reaching gold/purple science on my latest save, and bots make scaling up a lot easier. I was thinking maybe 120 science/minute, but that seems a bit extreme.

Got a few thousand hours in this game, and I'm at the point where you test the limits of the game itself, like with simcity or city skylines...working on my vanilla 21K base.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/l34t57/all_you_need_for_21000_space_science_per_minute/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

This is just space science. If you check my other posts you'll see some other parts, rocket fuel, smelter. Working on a post for purple science since that is complete. Currently trying to figure out how to make yellow and blue together or near each other. Red and green are done but small and boring compared to the rest. Then just connect them all together...easy peezy.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lol thanks, it is pretty stupid. I have to build in spurts, one part at a time...then I get burned out. It just takes hours to move stuff, even with creative mode. Half the time I want to build something, I load up the map and stare at it for an hour or so contemplating then close it.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Study your old base, then make a new better one!

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Production science is fun because it just has a ton of "basic" ingredients. I like your linear layouts, nice and tidy.

Here's my WIP 21k purple base.

Train deliveries of plates and plastic only.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

That's more like a 'gigabase'. Eeep... Very impressive.

I know for a fact that I would stop playing long before my UPS/FPS dropped to 10!

When you start building this stupid big it's all about UPS optimization. Which is a challenge in and of itself, testing the limits of the game engine. My 18k Factorio Extended base ran at about 45-50 UPS, so I figured I could do better in vanilla with what I learned from that.

I just cant get into bobs/angels/seablock stuff with so many products & byproducts to manage. Then you unlock a new tech and that entire process you just built is useless.

I've posted some of the other builds over on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/l34t57/all_you_need_for_21000_space_science_per_minute/

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/l437yw/hotdog_rocket_fuel_20kmin_vanilla/

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/l5uiyu/clocked_plastic_satisfaction/

Kinda burned out at yellow science right now. So on a break till the urge comes back.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

I'm trying out the Bob's series of mods, and holy poo poo, did he make things to be complex and convoluted for the sake of being complex and convoluted?

Yes. When you're done with bobs, pyanadons mods will make you believe slamming your johnson in a car door is preferable.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elevated rails is my only wish for this game.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Its basically the Factorio motto

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guys, just make a new armor.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I dont know why...it's kind of easy now. Basic refining just gives you petro gas (back in my day we had no basic refining!). Advanced refining ratio is 8 refineries, 2 heavy to light plants, and 7 light to gas plants. All yer oil will be gas for plastic and a little for sulfur. Plop down 1 more plant and a storage tank for lube and you're set for quite a while. You dont need any other storage tanks for heavy and light oil or circuit controlled pumps. You'll have a good supply of lube saved up when you get to yellow science and blue belts.

The more accurate ratio is 20-5-17 but that generally too much to start with or you use that when you eventually replace the 2-3 copies of the "simple" ratio.

These ratios are without modules of course.

Majere fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 9, 2022

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Squeakthrough and Long Reach for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Depending on how big you're dreaming, it's a good idea to setup a small base/outpost that just makes modules, beacons, and general building stuff like assembly machines and inserers. That way you're not draining your starter base resources making a billion green circuits for modules.