Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

I tried reading Spiderman from BND but it's kind of boring and I don't like the revolving cast of writers. Recommendations for a good place to pick it up?

BND is bland as gently caress but there are a couple good arcs sprinkled in there.

Try out shed. Its pretty cool. 630-633.

edit: As for a jump on point. Ehhhhhh, not really one at the moment. Maybe the relaunch? Probably not tho.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Disagree I guess. I loving hated that Rhino story.

It was so bad and cliche.

Grim Hunt was a confusing mess that existed to bring back Kraven and little else.

I don't remember much of the rest because you know, bland.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is reaching burtle.

I don't see anyone complaining he is back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Not really an excuse and they are usually dumb too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how people are taken in by the constant issues 1s in 2014.

They seem to think that #1's value going up is decided by random chance.

So even if they think it will bust eventually they might hit.

If they understood why they don't hold the value like they did it would probably die out as a practice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gatts posted:

He can work and do something amazing but it means pushing Spider-man into areas the fanboys probably wouldn't be comfortable with and taking him somewhere else. Not a bad fit, he can do great things, he just needs to think it through, but it won't be accepted because its not what people would be used to. Like the whole "lol totems, wtf?" poo poo. Like, finally some writer does something different and interesting, however flawed, but its lambasted because it isn't single Parker luck Spider-man fighting street level crime and cracking wise like I'm used to.

No he just doesn't want to do it, stop making dumb excuses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair, JMS's original idea was kind of dumb as it was like it was directly from a lovely soap opera.

Still my favorite SM run by far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

To be fair, Peter's "harem" actually did have some likable characters. Norah Winters, MJ, Black Cat, Carol Danvers (sorta). These were all people that fans would have thought were interesting foils for Peter to end up with. It's just unfortunate that he ended up with the blandest one off the bat: Joe Quesada's daughter who he fantasizes hooking up with Spiderman for some reason Carlie Cooper.

I dispute this.

Black Cat hasn't been interesting since her initial arc (with Peter) ended.

She is just kind of there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

I think it's just a big jab at Ditko. Spider-Man becoming an anti-social recluse who can only express himself when he's out super heroing (or making comics in Ditko's case). Grant isn't the first person to make a Freudian joke about Spidey's web, but in the context of a sexless Spider-Man it's a lot more apt.

I don't think so, he is accurately describing what Peter was like in the Ditko days.

He was really, really pathetic.

Some people miss those days.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I don't know if this makes me a bad person but I really liked Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and it was pretty much this. Like someone else said, leaving the main continuity alone and just making a throwback book like this seems like a million times better option if Marvel feels like Spider-Man needs a version that kids can relate to.

This wasn't really about making him more relatable.

Its just Q wanted him to be a certain way so he was.

As to why thy just didn't do it in another book, the main SM title will sell well regardless, while satelite books generally struggle really really hard. Hence why they were dissolved and ASM went triple ship.

I am surprised it took them that long to try that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gatts posted:

You know as much as I'd like it to be MJ and for her character to get respect or move on and get her own series I kinda want that chick and the real Peter to continue on for a bit. She's had a bad deal.

That is a weird starting point that honestly its best to move on from.

That page does actually do a fine enough job for it to end. Suprising to be able to praise Slott but there we go.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 21, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gatts posted:

Keep her character at least then. Let her develop.

It seems easier just to get a new character if you are just gonna make her develop one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lobok posted:

It doesn't, really. I'm not dismissing the good character interactions Pete has with some of the kids but being a teacher isn't a hobby. It requires consistent, expected, and long hours.

It's not a coincidence superheroes tend to be either independently wealthy or have jobs outside the norm. It's partly why Thor's secret identities have been jettisoned or why Foggy Nelson is critical to Murdock's law practice.

Working at a paper has worked for Clark Kent and Peter Parker so well because it gets them close to the action, indirectly provides them with money from their superheroics, and it excuses them for long absences as long as they produce results. If you're going to change Pete's job then he needs something similar or something easy going, which is why Slott had given Peter the most amazing and lenient boss at the tech company.

It worked fine and there is no reason it couldn't continue.

It would be interesting, which I guess is the enemy here. Got to make him a part time tech guy who snooooooore.

or he could go back to the bugle and zzzzzzzzzzzz.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I mostly agree with you but I can't really blame them for preferring that Spider-Man not be middle-aged.

They haven't actually changed his age, they just want him to act like he is still in high school.

While in his late twenties.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I wasn't talking about the marriage part, really. But yes, being married and having a kid are generally seen as milestones in life that age you. I would love to read stories about Spider-Man that include him having a wife and kids, and in fact that's why I liked the old Spider-Girl series. But they aren't really things that are conducive to a mainline continuity designed to last for decades and remain amenable to whatever innovations and changes to the character's status quo the editors want. Whichever editor said Spider-Man is about youth wasn't really wrong. And marriage and children aren't a part of youth. They're things that are supposed to signify that you've basically figured your life out, more or less, and that's kind of anathema to the spirit of the character.

Maybe this is just a problem with wanting characters to last indefinitely. But the way I see it, you either concede that Peter is never going to fully grow up or you set a permanent end date for the character, wrap up his story for good, and introduce a new character to fully and completely take on the mantle for the foreseeable future. But I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Eh it worked for over 20 years.

I also don't think it "went against the character" or whatever, the character has bascally two things on the checklist.

1. Power and responsibility.

2. heaps of guilt.

Have those and you are fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Outside of the Lee run, most of the best and most memorable Spider-man stories were written while he was married or engaged to MJ. Death of Jean Dewolff, Kraven's Last Hunt, Harry's death, the list goes on. The only problem existed in some old editors' minds.

Huh, I didn't think Jean Dewolff fell into that category.

Yeah and it was nice to have a (main) comic character who was married. If was someonewhat different than normal.

I mean now there is the Fantastic Four but their relationship is so dysfunctional I kind of hate them both.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 30, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How about :

Full-bearded peter, who's divorced from MJ with a daughter he sees every other weekend. Has to do fatherly things, stop bad guys, still has a poo poo job and currently trying to get back on the dating scene??

Basically "The Amazingly Dead-Beat Spider-Dad"!

Beards age him to much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Essentially, you would have a slice-of-life comic about a millenial 20-something trying to shoulder a poo poo-ton of responsibility coming from all different angles without sacrificing his own happiness, except one of those angles is supervillains terrorizing NYC. :v: The focus of it would be more on Peter as a person than on Peter as a superhero, and while it would undoubtedly age him, it would basically age him to where the bulk of Marvel's readers nowadays are at (but without sacrificing the central theme of the character to get there).

Yeah but they have made it quite clear they don't want him to actually face any sort of real life problems. Especially in that particular bracket of stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First Look at the 100th Anniversary Special Spider-Man 1

The concept is cool as hell and how I hope the Future's End issues over DC will be, but the story sounds kind of silly (Kingpin owns a tech enhanced Venom symbiote that allows him to merge with the cyberspace) :v:

Oh and the art is fantastic.

They already did that story.

It even involved Venom!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There is going to be so goddamn many dead Spider-Men by the end of this.

Oh my god Gwen is going to be one of them?

That would be laughably terrible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Gwen has way too much positive response to be disposed of. Marvel will find some way to feature her more.

They will pull a spiderman 2099 and completely dump everything that makes her interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is my feeling. If they really do this what the gently caress is the point? Her writing was basically 90% "pretty average Spider-Man" and the most interesting stuff involved her friends/family.

Well it isn't shocking, didn't they just do the same thing to Spider-man 2099?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, remember that Spider-Man cartoon with Iceman and Firestar you probably saw as a kid that was light-hearted? Know how it ends? The characters get brutally murdered and their pet howls in despair.

......what?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yes and those are character people want to use again (for whatever reason), I don't think that is going to happen with the AU Spideys.

Though I agree that what where you expected when you wanted all them in this?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I would just like to address two points.

1. Pretending that no one cares About the universe is downright disingenuous, maybe not enough to read about it. That doesn't mean people don't care.

2. Pretending this is just Slott hate is odd as the thread has been basically dead until now. So obviously this actually effects people.

Just comes off like you trolling water.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Yes.

Let's go out of our way to harass and annoy creators we don't like. I'm sure all parties involved with look mature and reasonable and an intelligent dialogue will come out of it.

Your definition of harassment is hilariously low.

In this case the bar is tweeting in general, not even multiple times, just the once.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 11, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Doesn't make it any less silly, but whatever works for ya.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Has he actually said anything to antagonize anyone or is everybody still acting like changing your name for Halloween is some sort of super troll instead of something lots of people do?

The picture change is antagonizing, I mean I am not really, but I can see how it is to some.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I don't read ASM anymore either, just read here to see what is happening and get a good laugh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It is really not hard to be the next spiderman.

Unless you are talking about sticking and becoming a cultural thing.

To which I say, good luck, but she isn't close to that yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

This really reminds me why I'm constantly hesitant to post in this thread.

Donald Southerland doesn't come up that much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

I am glad that creative freedom was given. What would the comics world be without Wild Thing, Angry Eagle, Darkdevil, Sabreclaw or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

Unfortunately we must only now put up with the hack Dan Slott.

You know you talk about our hatred of Dan Slott but it is like Spider-girl killed your parents or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Castomira posted:

I wonder, would people hate the Inheritors as much if they were, say, Dr. Strange or Elsa Bloodstone antagonists? I don't really see any criticism of them as characters that doesn't pretty much boil down to "the Inheritors belong in a Vampire: The Masquerade supplement."

Probably, that is the same basic reason people hated Morlun when JMS introduced him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have never heard people badmouth death of Jean Dewolff, is that a thing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I see Gerry took a trip to the island of misfit supporting characters/villains.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd say the way this kiss was portrayed certainly wasn't some romantic gesture.

Eh don't worry about it, facepalm has some hangups about this stuff, just let it go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair it is also hard to make it credible and also only involve Spiderman.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

That always seemed weird and counter-productive to me. Wouldn't he be more relatable if he had to age and thus went through the various changes that people do growing up. Or is being married alien to comic bo- Oh nevermind.

Writers really do not think highly about their audience.

Which may be fair, granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really. It's the expected result. The Newspaper Spider-Man one is a good example because that one actually did subvert the expected result by making humorous use of the Spider-Man's setting. Slott knowing Hostess ads doesn't really mean jack in the context of "it would be funnier if the punchline wasn't murder."

I will have you know that there was no greater way to raise the stakes then the failure of the hostess pie.

• Locked thread