Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except that predated the Webb films where Emma Stone made her popular again as well as Spider-Gwen herself.

You are aware that JMS's original plan for that was to bring Gwen Stacy back right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The most popular and well known version of the character died on screen last summer so its not like anyone is clamoring for her to really return.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

You're right. I do hope there's always a young Spider-Man because when I was a teenager I found high school student Peter more relatable than high school teacher Peter.heroes.

I felt the same way but in 2001, when JMS made him a HS teacher it rekindled my like of the character because I was in school to do the same thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Superior Spider-Man was the Best Avenger.

"Yes, well I spit in that."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Know who I'd love to have on Spider-Man?

Mike Wieringo :(

You dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Silk is spinning off into her own book so isn't staying as Spider-Man's girlfriend or anything.

Is she leaving NYC?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Making Wolverine into a grimdark teenage girl was just making text the subtext hanging around him for years. The reason he hangs around with young girls so much isn't some mentoring older figure thing, nor is it him creeping, it's that those are his people.

Daniel Way said that the only reason X-23 existed was to give guys an excuse to jerk off to Wolverine in a "not homo way."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Get the gently caress out of here. 43 issues?

We stopped carrying it somewhere in the mid 20's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Arana is and always has been a terrible character.

I know a dude with an Arana tattoo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really wanted to like Spider-woman this week but something about it just felt off putting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Hopeless has some things that really annoy me. Like last issue when he had an actual female character say they weren't going to be fridged. It was a terrible line and he's super clumsy with his 4th wall poo poo. I wish he would avoid that and just write. I really enjoyed his X-Men Season One graphic novel.

Holy poo poo, in Spider-woman #4?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yep.

Even worse, it was Gwen talking about her alternate self. Just loving terrible.

"Fridged off a bridge."

Jesus Christ.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flameingblack posted:

It's nearly as ham-fisted as someone in a Spider-Man comic saying "Dan Slott? Man, I love that guy!"

The only people who would know what "fridging" is are people who follow Gail religiously, or post very regularly on places like 4chan, SA, ect. A casual comic book fan is not going to know what fridging is.

Did...did this happen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

DC comics do exist in the Marvel universe tough. Characters like Batman and Superman get referenced frequently.

They've also crossed into the MU a few times. Hawkeye called the Justice League a crappy ripoff of the Squadron Supreme.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Miles how is the storyline with Miles in All New X-men?

Not good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, are we doing that opinion thing in this thread too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can't give Slott too much credit for Flash as Venom. I mean they'd just come off a multi-year arc with Mac Gargin in the suit. Going back to Eddie would have been predictable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Flash as Venom could have been loving horrible, it's not an idea that's inherently good. It was made good by a talented writer.

By talented writer you forget to mention that it wasn't Dan Slott.

Look at Silk. Silk has been terrible in all her Slott written appearances but her first issue was absolutely fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

His ideas aren't even that good, he just seems to be able to pitch his ideas better than most and not have them shot down immediately.

Hasbro must love him for how many action figures have been churned out of his run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gosh, it's almost as if the SV tie-ins were better than the core book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's sloppy book-keeping! At least you got a neat comic out of it.

If they used a credit card, legally they're supposed to contact the buyer and tell them they bought stolen goods. I've been through this a few times. I have a pretty great customer who only pays cash because he once bought stolen comics and in the end the police seized them as he received stolen goods and he never got his cash back. Ever since he's cash only.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

The store isn't required to refund him in that case? I'm not saying you're in charge of that and at fault if it was at your place, but just in general, but I'd thought there'd be laws or whatever in place to help people who buy stolen goods and compensate them.

In some cases. I believe in Indiana it's governed under pawn laws which get weird. Technically if you pay cash for anything you have to hold a pawn license but they don't really police it.

The last time this happened I bought three boxes of comics, mostly decent 70-80's Marvel stuff. I think I paid out $150. Nothing seemed off about the guy at all, we took the books and gave him cash, just wrote his name in the log book. When word got around that a collection had been stolen I realized part of it was what I had purchased. But we'd already sold almost all of it. The owner wanted his books back, not cash so his insurance actually ended up taking care of it and since it was petty on our end we didn't pay anything, we just surrendered the remaining books back to him. We don't take the names of everyone who buys back issues and to avoid stupid things like inventory I have two barcodes for old comics so it's actually kind of a huge headache to trace purchases to customers even with credit cards.

And in case anyone is curious about what I mean about the barcodes, When I put a book into back issues, it is removed from our regular inventory and I place a printed barcode that reads MISC22 on it. This is my back issue code. Every back issue gets one and they are all $1.00 each. That way it's very easy to just count by the box instead of checking every physical books. For high dollar books I put a code on the back that reads CBBIN which is "comic book back issue of note." We don't do a lot with high dollar stuff, I usually pass it along to a few specific customers right away but it's still easier to keep them all the same code with adjustable pricing.

Whoa shop talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

It's cool when you post about this stuff, you have interesting experience. There isn't really any "comic book shops" around here, just places that also stock comics, so it's all foreign to me.

I should just stick to this stuff, any time I branch into other things it just ends badly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Silk is definitely the best of the three Spider-Lady ongoings right now and I never once expected that to be something I thought. Especially considering her appearances in ASM to date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

All the stuff about what the comic shop is legally required to do would likely require him to press charges against his brother, it's entirely possible that he doesn't want to do that.

Yeah, that's a detail I didn't think of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

I remember a lot of people being really upset that Bendis killed Hawkeye. I also remember being really confused by that because Hawkeye was lame and who cares. Now if they killed Hawkeye I'd be really upset.

You're remembering correctly. Bendis has a lot to do with the upswing in his popularity. People were super excited when he came back and became Ronin, and later when he and Mockingbird were back together the reaction from fans was overwhelmingly positive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Well I liked Hawkeye before it was cool.

What if it's never been cool?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have a goon who's husband does an amazing job at cosplaying Hawkeye.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SalTheBard posted:

Just an FYI to anyone interested, Edge of Spiderverse #2 (first appearance of Spider-Gwen) is going for between $85 and $100. The variant cover I believe is going to for 200 to 300. Pretty loving crazy. It's easily the most valuable book I own.

It blows my mind. I let a complete set of the variants for for $175 a few months ago. I knew I should have waited. I do intend to get my EoS #2 graded shortly, hoping to cash in a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

John Byrne's coin is still being examined by scientist as it constantly oscillates to whatever would cause him to be the shittiest human being at the moment.

So the team they dispatched did succeed in removing it from up his rear end?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Silk is amazing. Easily the issue of the week for me.

I still can't believe how great the book is considering where she came from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's pretty good evidence of the "no bad characters, just bad writers" argument.

Something something Jubilee something something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Technically, the entire multiverse has died, so if they brought it back now they weren't actually lying (Steve Rodgers and a bunch of other people died who were still around before Secret Wars had died and came back). I would say part of the reason for this was to not eliminate alternate universe poo poo, but try and defocus it, but I thought half the point of Age of Ultron was to cut down on time travel shenanigans, but then it seemed like everyone was doubling down on the time travel poo poo after that, including Hickman.

Nobody cared about AoU, not even Marvel editorial.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grumpy Old Avengers would be such a good book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Toss in Old Thor from Aaron's run and you've got a hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

I miss u Spock~

You're terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Buncha outlets reporting that Miles will be THE ONLY SPIDER-MAN of the "new" Marvel U the past few days.

Somehow I doubt that.

Most media outlets are reporting post SW as a total relaunch so yeah, gently caress those guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

You work in a comic shop, are there book to be ordered that about Spider-People not titled Spider-Man, Spider-Woman or Spider-Gwen? Actually is Spider-Woman still an ongoing?

You mean right now? It's Amazing RYV and Spider-verse. But considering we've seen like 12 of the 60 new books it's a good bet there will be a half dozen Spider books come October.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That costume sucks.

That premise sucks.

Dan Slott sucks.

Everything about this sucks.

I was trying to find something good about it but yeah, sucks pretty much sums it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Brevoort wrote this, which obviously runs exactly counter to this story.

I could give less than half a gently caress about how old Peter is portrayed, I just want Dan Slott off the loving book already.

• Locked thread