Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Why... Why can't ASM be good? Spidey is my favorite comic book character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Don't buy Giant-Sized Spider Man. That is all

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Any particular reason

I didn't like it. It's a retelling of his origin and then retellings of his first fights with Vulture, Doc Ock and Sandman. Nothing offensive but not worth $5.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I loved Superior Spider Man. The first 2/3rds is great, it's the last 1/3rd that goes totally off the rails.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I love Spider Man and I started reading comics again when Superior Spider Man started. I liked Superior because of how different the character was. I can't stand Amazing at all. While I didn't think this issue was as bad as some people, I really can't stand this story at all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

notthegoatseguy posted:

Can I ask why ASM isn't appealing to you? It is the exact same creative team and really the same flaws and strengths of Slott (in my opinion) are present in both his ASM and his SSM. Is it just the character of Spock that makes it worth it or did you notice soemthing different in terms of writing and plot that somehow doesn't exist now?

I enjoyed Spock as a fresh twist on an old character. ASM just doesn't "speak" to me the way that SSM did. It could be partially that SSM was responsible for getting me reading comics again after a 12 year hiatus and I'm still bitter that it ended. I'm sure in a few months I'll look forward to new issues of ASM. I also have trouble dealing with change in general :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

Bought a grab box of 70+ comics off of eBay for dirt cheap and they came in today. This was in the box. A Spider-Man #1 signed by Todd McFarlane, including a letter of authenticity. Sweet digs.

I am legit very jealous of you. I love that cover.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

notthegoatseguy posted:

I actually didn't totally hate the Spock 32 issue. I find it interesting that Spider-Verse is basically going to be a thing due to something Spock did.

Of course I also thought the intro issue to Spider-Island was pretty good too, and look how that all turned out.

Cool start. I'm excited to see where this goes. I really liked "Wolverine Trained Spider Man".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I loved all those issues.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Edge of Spiderverse was really loving creepy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Schneider Heim posted:

SP//dr was really awesome. I would read an ongoing of this. I spotted Simon from Gurren Lagann as a cameo, too.

Also Kaneda from Akira had a cameo. I didn't see the Simon one which is surprising consider how much I love Gurren Lagann.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just before we see the cast of Eva, he's not as obvious, tho.

I was at my local comic shop today and the owner pointed out the Eva cast to me. I can't believe I didn't catch it the first time I read it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I didn't realize Spider Woman came out last week, how was that?

Scarlet Spiders - Pretty awesome. I'm glad to see Kaine back (I didn't read New Warriors). Is this supposed to be a mini series to correspond with Spiderverse or is this something thats going to be ongoing?

Spider Man 2099 - I haven't been reading this book but I really enjoyed this particular issue. I have been loving Spider Man even more since Spiderverse started.

Superior Foes of Spider Man - I can't believe it's over. I loved the last issue so much. The story was fantastic and I'm really going to miss reading this book.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

Spider-Woman 1 was terrible, don't read.

Thanks for saving me the money!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Probably Magic posted:

The first Spider-Man comics I ever owned were from DeMateiss, which was an arc where Spider-Man had to fight Vermin and Harry Osborn at the same time while having really, really bad flashbacks to being buried alive by Kraven. It was pretty dark, but I really liked it.

Was that the one where Vermin reverted mentally to a small child and started having flashbacks of being abused or something like that?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Probably Magic posted:

Yep, that'd be the one. And then I think I seriously started following the ongoing around the time JMS took over. These days, not so much, but hey, whatever Scarlet Spider is in usually ends up good!

That's crazy because that's the first issue of spider man 8 ever read as well

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My LCS has a Spider Man #1 (black and gold version) CGC 9.4 for $100 and I can't tell you how badly I want to buy that because I love the cover of that book.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

If you look earlier in the thread from my posts I have that exact issue (not CGC however, but nearly mint) signed by Todd McFarlane :)

Edit: found the post

Turns out it's the black and silver not black and gold :-/

I'm pretty sure I drooled over it when you posted it originally

Codependent Poster posted:

So buy it! When I was a kid I'd try to buy first appearance comics of characters I like or just fill out backissues of my favorite comics. I think I spent like $50 for the Sword of Azrael series because I liked him and liked Joe Quesada's art. That was a lot for a kid!

I've been tempted to but I really don't have 100 to spend :-(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 5, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

He's the one who went to WWE and became Sin Cara and kept injuring himself until he got fired, right?

Yep. I felt bad for the guy but goddamn did he have poo poo luck in the WWE. At one point Mistico was one of the most popular wrestlers in the world.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Spider Man 2099 was awesome. Was nice to see Leopardon back.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow. I have been looking so forward to Spider-Verse ever since they announced it. What a turd of an event.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

net cafe scandal posted:

Who is everyones favorite alt universe Spider-Man? Mine is SP//Dr.

I really liked Steam Punk Spider Woman

EDIT: If Superior Spider-Man counts thats my answer

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I highly enjoyed Spider Gwen. I'm excited to see where it goes!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

I didn't expect to come away thinking that Silk had the better first issue. That was the surprise. Both are good books (admittedly after only one issue) and I'm glad they exist.

I was amazed at how good Silk #1 was. I had very low expectations for it as I've generally not enjoyed the character since she's been introduced. I love Spider Man and all things Spider Man related so I bought it on a whim and really enjoyed it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I can't anti-recommend that story enough.

There's a Vermin 5-parter later in Dematteis' run that's pretty nightmarish and dark.

I'm pretty sure that was the first Spider Man story arc I read. Thats the one where you find out he was sexually abused by his mother right?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Yes. It also deals with Peter's leftover issues regarding the Kraven incident. I really like it.

I'm going to have to see if I can dig those books up. I'm almost positive I still have them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Spider Gwen was cool. Was cool seeing Jean DeWolffe again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

They were stolen by my brother out of my room and he sold them for drug money (lovely, I know). He was with me to go get them back. They offered to return them for the price at which they gave him cash for, which was very fair, but unfortunately they already had sold. It was a first appearance Mary Jane, first non comics code authority comic: #96, a signed copy of #66 by John Romita, and an issue #36 which wasn't all that valuable or anything. But it was my very first spider-man comic I ever bought and it was Ditko art so I was a fan of it.

e: also they didn't have a record of who they sold it to. Only a record of who they bought it from. Which I already knew. Seeing as he was standing next to me.

I remember you posting that your Spider Man 42 was in super good shape too. I'm sorry man :-(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

In other news, can someone link me a resource or explain how I can get this copy CGC rated? It's definitely in good enough condition to warrant that and it's mega key.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Just an FYI to anyone interested, Edge of Spiderverse #2 (first appearance of Spider-Gwen) is going for between $85 and $100. The variant cover I believe is going to for 200 to 300. Pretty loving crazy. It's easily the most valuable book I own.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm hoping post Secret Wars shakes things up in Amazing because I'm having a harder and harder time justifying to myself why I keep reading it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

I don't whine every time a writer brings in Darkhawk and sticks him in a lovely role. I'm just glad someone remembered him besides me and enjoy seeing him.

I loved Darkhawk as a kid and I would love for him to get a new series.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
How is Spider-Verse #1?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Hello, it's me, the only poster on the forums who is going to agree with you. Superior Spider-Man was fun as hell and I don't care what anyone says.

Also I'm really hoping Spider-Gwen picks right back up and doesn't time-jump like everything else apparently will. I'm loving Latour's writing on it, and the art's so fuckin cool.

SSM is the book responsible for getting me back into comic books so I will forever love that series no matter how bad it is in hindsight.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

I'm with you until the Spidermobile, then i just lose it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm cautious about the premise of the book, I however, cannot get over the Spidermobile. It seems so stupid, watching Ultimate Spider-Man on Netflix with the Spider-cycle shows why this is such a stupid idea. He doesn't need a goddamn Spider-Mobile, he's loving Spider Man. gently caress.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've really enjoyed all the Spider Man SW titles so far, but man Spider Island is pretty drat awesome. Its been my favorite of the 3.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

I think it's been interesting that a recurring element in the SW Spidey books is Peter Parker abandoning/being removed from the role of Spider-Man.

I hadn't thought about that but drat that's interesting

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm a few weeks behind, I really enjoyed Spider-Verse (even though the end was a little "abrupt") and Renew Your Vows was good too. I would say that all the Secret Wars Spider books have been good. I haven't picked up Spider Island yet, but the first 2 issues I thought were pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
ASM#1 wasn't too bad. I initially was against the "Spiderman INC" idea but after one issue it doesn't annoy me. The previews for the other books coming out were cool. I think I will skip Web Warriors unless people like it. I'll probably skip Spider Woman and Silk as well. Spider Gwen and Spider Man are going to be it for me I think. I still think the Spidermobile is beyond stupid but in context it sort of makes sense.

• Locked thread