Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

[*]Since when has Peter Parker ever been known for extraordinary good looks? Never, that I recall. The fact that Otto just walks around with an earpiece and girls all flock to him like Brad Pitt is so laughable.

It depends on the writer and the girl but Slott certainly isn't the first to do it and he doesn't even do it all that much. Lee/Ditko/Romita have Betty, Liz, MJ, and Gwen all fighting over him at one time or another. Lee's successor, Conway, introduced Glory Grant who also made several passes at Peter.

I really overall agree with everything else you said. Superior has some decent issues but they aren't happening until you get through at least the first half dozen. And even the decent issues are mixed with some horrible scenes when they involve the Avengers or pre-Spock supporting cast being struck with a Dumb Stick due to the story.

The MJ stuff was excessively creepy. Even for Slott. The only "good" thing is they at least got it out of the way by issue #2.

ASM1 was mostly garbage. Slott really goes for the most juvenile humor possible. He can't even write MJ decently for all of the two panels she appears in. The end-of-book cliffhanger has some promise but I'm not holding my breath.

The Electro backup story for the blatant movie cash in was decent enough.

Black Cat backup was okay but I'm really not buying her as master planner villain.

Peter David's 2099 story was good and I'll at least check out that story.

Yost's Kaine backup, of sorts, was really touching. Good summary of Scarlet Spider for those who haven't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't get it someone ELSE was bitten and we never knew about it!!

The whole "secret origin" trope is one of the absolute dumbest gimmicks in comics.

And we're getting an entire event based around it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

I finally gave it a fair shot and I didn't hate the idea but light bless Slott is not a very good writer. In December 2012 there was the Sandy Hook shooting, and in January 2013 Slott began writing a character who went into a burger chain and shot up everyone inside of it, then went to a bank or something and shot up more people. That was just tasteless, and there's not a good reason why that had to happen in the comic, even if there hadn't been a mass shooting in the US for the last 10 years.
Behind the scenes Dan Slott threw a fit because those comics were getting more praise so he used his pull to have them all canceled so he could write the true Superior Spider-Man comic (Because it has no opposition)

So because a school shooting happened, there should be no shooting or guns in comics at all? That's a stretch.

Aren't comics usually done 4-6 months ahead of release? That's why sometimes pop culture references feel dated especially when it comes to fads.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Should I get the Roger Stern omnibus? I've heard it's meant to be good.

Roger Stern has a very strong run on Spider-Man and wrote some of my favorite stories. The Hobgoblin mystery kind of became a clusterfuck after he left because every writer had a different idea on who the Hobgoblin was. And Stern sure as hell didn't help make it any better with that lovely Hobgoblin Lives mini in the late 90s.

But his work on Spidey is still very, very strong.

I gave the online shop the wrong loving address so my omnibus is delayed but I've read his run before and I'd highly recommend it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Some dude just bought twenty copies of Amazing #1. I don't even know what the gently caress.

I'm gonna go to Ebay and be rich, I tell ya! rich!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Man Slott has had a lot of dumb stuff but I don't think even he has had something as dumb as Peter getting paranoid because Iron Man knows about his Spider-Sense or having Tony and Peter break the fourth wall to call the audience dumb nerds.

The Spider-Sense stuff was done in Iron Man's title and not written by JMS.

I'd say Slott's first BND story with the first page being Peter macking with some random girl was trolling fans pretty hard as well.

Comic writer throws hissy fit can pretty much be applied to every comic writer.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Superior Carnage had a good first four issues, though it really is much more of a Wizard story (very faithful to Hickman's Wizard in F4 rather than Slott's dumb wizard in some of the Spider-Man stories). The fifth issue is just the likely editorially mandated re-set button.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!

Lee always had girls fighting over Peter. By the time he was dating Betty Brant, MJ, Liz, and Gwen would all hit on him and make obvious passes at him, in front of Betty and in front of their own boyfriends.

The best part, though, is those weird snarky word bubbles they use when they're being vicious to each other. I think Slott has used it a few times and I find those hilarious. It is a nice touch of using a retro feature while at the same time not completely reverting to 1960s art.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I'm going to derail this thread for a minute to ask a question. I felt it more appropriate to post in the Spider-Man thread rather than clutter up the forums with another new thread.

I recently got a collection of older Spider-Man comics from a friend of mine who is moving and doesn't want them anymore. One of them (#229) has a signature on it, and neither of us can figure out who it might be. Does anyone happen to know who's signature this is? A few quick searches lead me to believe that it is NOT Stan Lee, John Romita Jr, Jim Mooney, Tom DeFalco or Roger Stern. Any ideas? Surely it is SOMEBODY!

If it is none of those then it probably doesn't matter.

Also that is one of the best Spider Man stories of all time.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The best part of early ASM is whoever is writing the words on the page clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

ASM #2 spends the entire issue calling him "Peter Palmer".

ASM #3 Doc Ock calls him, in bold letters, Super-Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hahahaha

I'm really glad they never bother to correct it in the re-prints. At least they didn't in the Masterworks edition.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Suben posted:

Peter Parker spearheading the prison industrial complex is honestly worse than anything Slott did on Superior goddamn.

And if he cures Electro of powers, then what's the point of building a supermax super prison?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I would not at all be surprised if, within the next 12 months, Peter folds Parker Industries (or Anna Maria or Sajani or someoen buys it out) and he goes back to being a photographer.

It's strange, because I like Peter being a photographer in many of the media adaptations because it is just such a fun thing to see him try to pull off while super heroing. But it has been done to death so many times. I think the Bugle Cast is important to Spidey and besides people like Betty, it is hard to integrate them without the Bugle. But Peter being a photographer in the comics just bores me to no end.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

According to ASM 2, Tony actually doesn't know Spidey's identity. Cap seems to know but I don't think he was present during any unmasking scene.

Peter was a TA while working on non specific post grad studies back in the 80s.

To me, Peter is smart but he's not a genius on the level of Reed or Stark. But he's a great thinker on his feet and has a knack for inventing devices that work with his powers. At times, he's also shown a bit of a journalist in him probably from the years around Jonah, Robbie and Urich. That's a great skill set and he can work well in scientist groups to bring a new perspective, like Hickman did in FF. But I don't think he could go it alone like Reed or Tchalla often do.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually really liked MJ getting spider powers in Spider-Island and kind of wish she'd kept them.

Of course when you've beaten back both the Will O Wisp and Chameleon with no powers, I guess you don't really need them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I mean it'll probably be whatever the newspaper adaptation of it is.

Wait, has the newspaper strip done Doc Ock and Aunt May's marriage yet?

Lee himself wrote that story. Would he really wanna retread it?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, Yost's two crossovers are easily the worst stories. The other one crosses over with Spock Team-Up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

He was. For multiple years.

Waid came on halfway roughly through BND but I think it is different working as a team of writers who take turns taking the lead versus doing it solo.

I, for example, hated Waid's last story in BND which was the very last story. With Ock and everyone chasing after Mystery Goblin baby. There were some good character moments here and there but for the most part, it went on too long, the conclusion was a let down, and it felt like it was a rush job to solve a bunch of sub plots that other writers had failed to resolve earlier.

It also had some of the worst loving art I've ever seen.

But I think a Waid solo Spider-Man run could be different, working on his own rather than as a team. I mean we see it here in this run. I'd say Slott's BND stories were much better with a team than his solo stuff.

That all being said, I thought Family Business was pretty cool but not outstanding. It's a nice Roger Stern-ish type piece with some great art. And it was nice seeing Kingpin in a more cartoonish villain role rather than a criminal empire role.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Venom ran a bit after Bunn took over and certainly wasn't a short run. But Venom or anything Spider related is going to have a built in fan base that'll keep it running for a while.

His Magneto series is really good. He isn't a horrible writer by any means but for the most part, his work is usually sub par or average.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Superior Spider-Man 17-19. Miguel appears in other issues after that but that's the story that sets up his status quo for the solo series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slott's track record is really more like she'll die but come back as evil or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Guys it could be worse, Slott could be writing her for an extended period of time. Isn't death preferable?

I used to love Spider-Girl but DeFalco's idea of how teenagers talk really wears on you after a while. I thought the one issue done by the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane guy was really good, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

It kept going for over a 100 issues, so they must have done something right.

Like Breevort is doing with Captain Marvel, Quesada kept it going far longer than it should've been because it was starring a woman, and a teenager at that. They said the digests, as well as the Marvel Adventures digests, sold really well and a lot to schools and parents who ordered them in the mail. Obviously that didn't hold out forever. The single issue numbers, even after the re-launches and proper trade collections, were really loving low.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Wonder if Anya is going to meet Mayday and face off in the All-new Superior Spider-Girl? This thing feels like such a Geoff Johns "Throwing all my toys against each other" comic. I just wish it were wrote by Johns instead of Slott, because maybe then it'd be readable.

By then, Anya will probably be mind-swapped with Female Doc Ock.

Still really surprised she never showed up during Superior.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought the first two or three Superior issues were absolutely horrible, with the very creepy handling of Spock-MJ and Peter the Friendly Ghost was a weak part of the early issues as well.

Somewhere in the middle are some fairly entertaining issues, mostly due to his interactions with new cast, and not the old cast who have all been struck with a Dumb Stick due to plot.

But overall, if you enjoyed Slott's ASM, you'll enjoy Superior. It has all of Slott's strengths and, in my opinion, faults. No need for me to go over them again but I think his Spidey writing has some very obvious flaws and the change in setting with Spock didn't make them go away.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Beyond everyone's gripes with how he treated MJ, or how everyone was stupid as hell, the enemy of the first arc was a guy who committed mass shootings right after Sandy Hook and the Boston Bombings showing real lack of taste by Slott

I actually don't think Massacre is that bad of a an idea for a villain and I'm still convinced we haven't seen the last of him. He didn't even get killed on panel. You just hear about it in media reports from eye witnesses. Slott has a history of a lot of fake-out deaths (Hobgoblin, Silver Sable).

My beef with Massacre wasn't so much Massacre, but the story he was introduced in. As Peter is mourning the loss of Marla (and i'll say that funeral and Peter's dream sequence were really well done, probably in no small part due to Martin's art), the Massacre part sucked. As Peter on the other side of town promised "No one dies", Massacre just offs like 6 people right off the bat just for fun. It was really more like "No one dies as long as I am physically present". If anything, Peter should've learned that unless he dedicates his life 24/7 to Spider-Man, there's no way he can make that type of promise.

I'm sure Spock stuffed Massacre away in a secret test tube just like he did with Superior Six.

Speaking of Superior Six, Yost's take on Spock was good in almost every issue of Avenging Spider-Man/Spock Team-Up he wrote.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

drat, did that issue loving suck. Peter wasn't that bad but Spider-Man being a self centered jagoff at a supposedly end of the world scenario was hard to read.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 24, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I love Spider Man and I started reading comics again when Superior Spider Man started. I liked Superior because of how different the character was. I can't stand Amazing at all. While I didn't think this issue was as bad as some people, I really can't stand this story at all.

Can I ask why ASM isn't appealing to you? It is the exact same creative team and really the same flaws and strengths of Slott (in my opinion) are present in both his ASM and his SSM. Is it just the character of Spock that makes it worth it or did you notice soemthing different in terms of writing and plot that somehow doesn't exist now?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually didn't totally hate the Spock 32 issue. I find it interesting that Spider-Verse is basically going to be a thing due to something Spock did.

Of course I also thought the intro issue to Spider-Island was pretty good too, and look how that all turned out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Black Cat speaking entirely in cliches and puns is just :psyduck:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That's cool Glover is being cast. His voice acting work for Community's gimmick episodes didn't floor me, but they weren't bad either. But the larger problem is USM is still a horrible show no matter who they cast.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

This just seems so loving weird. I mean JMS wrote Spidey as being nervous to introduce MJ to Captain America. Now Peter is just making out with Silk every change he gets, even in front of the woman who is supposed to publicly be his actual girlfriend.

On the plus side, Edge of Spider-Verse 1930s style was pretty cool.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

To be fair the garbage voice directing of USM strangles the talent out of everyone.

I think the direction is "Just talk into the microphone and who cares? We'll be making a toy out of it anyway".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

At least the Gage co-writing credit either means the script will read a bit better or it'll have a kickass Gage backup story.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

And even though Spider-Man 2099 is in 616 currently, the 616 stuff he's interacting with is almost completely separate from whatever is going on in the core ASM book. Liz Allan/Alchemex and all that jazz just isn't on Peter's radar right now. So while he's away from his unique universe, he isn't bogged down by whatever is going on with Peter.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm kinda pissed I only got half of a pretty good (Yes I do admit Slott can sometimes do something good) Ms. Marvel team-up only so some bullshit Spider event garbage can fill in the other half.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Of course the out of destroying alternate universes is just using the out of "oh this is a similar alternate universe but not THAT" which I guess is exactly what happened in this case.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ASM has never had a sales problem in any recent creation team from JMS on up. It very well could be one of those titles that is going to have a base that is pretty loyal regardless of its creator. They were selling 30-50k per issue during the BND era when they were publishing 3x a month. Slott has scaled back to 2x a month for most months since he took over and I think think after the tie ins for Spider-verse wrap up we'll sink back down to 60-70k per issue which is about what the first two Dying Wish issues did (the last Dying Wish was 700, which is obviously a collectors/variant market thing).

The secondary Spider titles and titles that try to spin out of Spider-Man, however, have a much different record.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Oh gently caress, that's Spider-Man: The End from JMS' run.

I really do loving love that jacket costume.

Too bad the main event from Slott will suck. This build up, mostly from writers I'm not familiar with, has been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Almost none of the Spider-Men from alternate worlds are the ORIGNALS from alternate worlds. Ultimate Universe designation is 1610. But in Spider-Verse, it is identified as 610. The Amazing Friends TV show is Earth-8107. In Amazing #7, the Amazing Friends is Earth-1983. These are mostly, if not entirely, alternate realities so that the original universes these characters come from can still be used in the future. Or hell Slott will probably have everything wrapped up in a neat little bow by the end of the story.

Hell the Spider-Man 2099 stuck in 616 isn't even from the original 2099-verse. He's like the the third one. Original, the one from Exiles, and the current guy.

• Locked thread