Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Metal Loaf posted:

Should I get the Roger Stern omnibus? I've heard it's meant to be good.

Yes. After Stan Lee it's the definitive Spider-Man as far as I'm concerned.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to read Marvel in the 80s. What an incredible collection of runs on so many characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey I've got a random Spider-Man question: What's the deal with Chameleon's face? Is there a reason it's white and has a snake nose? Is that a mask? What's the deal?

His face would be an animated version of a wig stand. A very blank face with only vague impressions of the features. The same kind of face he would later give The Question, but white. When Chameleon was first created he was a master of disguise, switching between and using a combination of masks and wigs he had on him. Only later or in adaptations did he get powers or gadget help.

It ties in with one of the motifs you find in a lot of Ditko characters, that being false or blank faces. Gas/smoke being another. Green Goblin, Big Man, Crime Master, Mysterio, Chameleon, The Looter. And that's just his Spider-Man villains.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Some dude just bought twenty copies of Amazing #1. I don't even know what the gently caress.

There was this story this past week about a local shop putting up Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 (the OG) for sale and this story mixed with what you posted and for a moment I was like "WHO IS THIS loving MILLIONAIRE?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grump posted:

I know this is a comic book forum, but I was wondering if anyone remembered the cartoon where Spider-Man's eyes became fully circular when he got spider sense. If anyone could find a screenshot, that'd be great, but I'm having trouble finding one myself.

I think it's either in the Spectacular Spider-Man or the '90s cartoon.

I know this is a really vague question, but I'd appreciate any help. It's for a tattoo.

I don't remember that in Spectacular though I could be wrong, but it wasn't the 90s cartoon because that one had the trippy flashing lava lamp / circulatory system background thing with a high shrill whistle type sound.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't even know how to describe it. It's not quite a steam whistle and not quite the sound of a bomb dropping.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Fantastic Foes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter Parker and Hobie Brown take over an old repair shop. Flexible hours, reasonable but never guaranteed or steady income, someone who could cover for him and team up every now and then, constant stream of supporting cast neighbourhood peeps or new characters and their problems, and he and Hobie can futz around with his (or their) gear all they want.

Bonus points if the shop has a punny name like All the Fixin's.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheJoker138 posted:

How about Peter Parker is a former photographer who now teaches high school in a low income section of town?

Nah, that would never work.

It doesn't, really. I'm not dismissing the good character interactions Pete has with some of the kids but being a teacher isn't a hobby. It requires consistent, expected, and long hours.

It's not a coincidence superheroes tend to be either independently wealthy or have jobs outside the norm. It's partly why Thor's secret identities have been jettisoned or why Foggy Nelson is critical to Murdock's law practice.

Working at a paper has worked for Clark Kent and Peter Parker so well because it gets them close to the action, indirectly provides them with money from their superheroics, and it excuses them for long absences as long as they produce results. If you're going to change Pete's job then he needs something similar or something easy going, which is why Slott had given Peter the most amazing and lenient boss at the tech company.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I would not at all be surprised if, within the next 12 months, Peter folds Parker Industries (or Anna Maria or Sajani or someoen buys it out) and he goes back to being a photographer.

It's strange, because I like Peter being a photographer in many of the media adaptations because it is just such a fun thing to see him try to pull off while super heroing. But it has been done to death so many times. I think the Bugle Cast is important to Spidey and besides people like Betty, it is hard to integrate them without the Bugle. But Peter being a photographer in the comics just bores me to no end.

It's why Bendis' idea to have him be one of the Bugle's web people was such a great one, beyond the obvious pun. It's the kind of work that he was able to do intermittently without treading the well-worn shutterbug ground and kept him around the Bugle. Nowadays you could have Peter be something like an app developer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

The most logical job for Pete to have would just be as a scientist or researcher working for Stark (like he was pre-Civil War) or Reed Richards, who both already know who he is. But that effectively eliminates the potential drama of hiding his identity and explaining his repeated absences so it would never last as the status quo.

I don't like the idea of Peter working for another hero, for several reasons, but I see the issue as being less about the drama and more about how the job would fit into his story or give him something meaningful to do. If he's up in an ivory tower trying to make improvements to the latest Quantum Flummoxer what does that actually mean for Peter, his supporting cast, his adventures, or the reader? At the Bugle or at the school, his job got him directly involved with the people of the city who were in trouble or causing trouble and leaving some guy webbed to a light standard at the end of the issue was a resolution for both his superhero job and regular job. Even Stark, who works for no one but himself, doesn't have stories centered around Making Science, but is concerned with high level captain-of-industry problems and ideals.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of working for Stark or Reed, why not just work for himself? If he's such a genius (and that gets played up WAAAY too much) and if it's so necessary for his genius to be part of his work (never mind that his employment consisted entirely of being a lovely photographer for the vast majority of his publication history) then why not be his own boss?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

Tactical realism man. He can't run his own company and be Spidey. Too much. He would be a deadbeat boss not paying employees and poo poo as his company goes under and he no take business classes which is mastering the art of bullshit. Real business management is like...not what you see in Comics unless you are lovely rear end Bruce Wayne. He can be his own consultant and charge for services.

But whatever. Just be interesting for story.

When I say he should be his own boss I don't mean running a Fortune 500 company. That's why I brought up something like a small shop he can co-own. He gets to use his smarts but in a way more down-to-earth than calibrating Reed's Protonic Widget Array and it keeps him as street level as he can possibly be without being a garbageman or hot dog vendor. You get some supporting cast old dude bringing in a toaster to fix... but he also mentions the proliferation of drug dealers in the area. The guy who owns the bodega next door gets Pete to help fix his refrigerators... and confesses that some mobsters have been leaning on him for protection money. Some kid brings in a gadget of some type he found in his backyard and Pete realizes it's one of Shocker's gauntlets but how did it get in this kid's yard?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it must have sounded like a clever title, but it just makes Spider-Man sound like a baby.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beards age him to much.

Not if the stories took place more in Brooklyn.

Or maybe Marvel could do a special beard month of issues. Movember Marvel, proceeds go to charity. Every superhero (and superheroine...?) sports a different, bitchin' beard for an issue or two. Because of some Asgardian magic screw up thing.

Edit: <<--- And JJJ is conspicuously missing his `stache.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through the second grade of Scarlet Spider now, and really enjoying it, but there's one issue that ends off with "continued in Minimum Carnage!" I've already skipped past it to keep going through the trade but is Minimum Carnage worth reading?

Also, once I'm done the Scarlet Spider trades what should be next if I want his continuing adventures? I see mixed reviews about New Warriors.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've long wondered how DC or Marvel would do if they only did digests and trades/hardcovers. Better story pacing, fewer deadlines, looser continuity timelines, customers wanting to binge on stories, and every fan could stay current if there were only one format in which to buy the latest instalment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senor Candle posted:

Probably not good considering they would either lose all ad revenue or start sticking ads in trades

Magazines need ads to survive. Books don't. I don't know how much ads in the floppies are subsidizing production of the rest of their print media but there are clearly many models for making it work without ads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Professor Dog posted:

Is anyone else vaguely grossed out by a costume made out of webbing? Especially organic webbing. I mean, I only own two shirts that have buttons, so I can't really lecture anyone about fashion, but still. The Baxter Building is right around the corner. Get Reed Richards or any kid from the Future Foundation to whip up a proper costume between breakfast and nap-time. Or hit the gift shop even.

Think about this time the next time you down a cold glass of milk. Mm, that delicious flavour that comes from another species' tits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if it's still around but for years after Batman: TAS there was a comic companion/continuation of it. All I really want is that but for Spectacular Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morlun is such a nerdy name. I know you're supposed to read it like some sexy Romanian baritone is saying Dracula but I hear it as a squawky Jewish mother from Long island saying Mortimer.

"Morlun, you come back here and put your sunscreen on! You know how you get in the sun!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty much is the second-best run after the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It might be nit picky but Dusk had underarm wings like Spider-Man's armpit webbing. It looks like just a placeholder.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I used to like about Spider-Man was his concept not being diluted by so many other derivative characters or a "Spider-Family". So many Super people, Flashes, Green Lanterns, etc. Now it seems like every character has their own imitators or legacy characters.

So even if Slott was incredible I'm not looking forward to that storyline as I power through Amazing on Marvel Unlimited.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really Slott's fault there. We've been bombarded with Spider-Families since Venom and the Clone Saga.

Not really assigning blame. Just worried about the quality of the storylines with this particular author now that it's happened again. I've heard some of the characters in their own books are quite good (and I even liked the most recent Kaine Scarlet Spider books) but it's always going to bug me a bit that Spider-Man is just not nearly as unique anymore. The Spider-Family proliferated over the last few years.

Anyway, that's just me being a(n old?) crank.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do actually have fun reading comics, I swear it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of having fun reading comics, I forgot how good Waid's Daredevil run was. I picked up the monthlies way back when it started but got out of comics for a while. Thanks to MU I'm catching up on it and every issue seems better than the last, especially when my boy Marcos Martin is drawing. I *loved* that dude on Amazing.

I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Cage comics to read with his series coming out only next month. Looks like it's mostly just his time as an Avenger. Thought for sure they would have the classic Heroes for Hire available.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

They have most of Cage's original 70s stuff and all of the 90's cage series.

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Otto is a German name but giving him an accent makes him an immigrant and there was never anything to suggest that Dr. Octopus was any less a homegrown New Yorker than Spider-Man. But it made for a distinct voice in the cartoon and that's usually a good move if you can get away with it.

Also, who still has the last name Octavius in the 20th century? His family is keeping that ancient Roman heritage strong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think it's explicit that Kingsley tinkered with the formula himself. Kingsley found Osborn's old notes, versions of formulas, and raided Osborn's chemical warehouses (his legitimate business ones I mean). I think you can infer that the formula the Osborns took had not been perfected and it was Norman who knew or hypothesized how it could be done and Kingsley followed through on that.

Lobok posted:

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

As an update for anyone else who might be interested, the Hero for Hire stuff from the 70s has now been added to Marvel Unlimited. Previously it was just issue #1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate to double post, and I have gone on the record with my dislike of Web Warriors, but drat this cover is fantastic:

:swoon:

You're allowed to like Rivera's art. It'd be suspicious if you didn't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're all swinging around a giant pole like a big ol' game of Spider-Tetherball.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is another great webswinging cover he did years ago, I think during his first stint on Spider-Man comics.

Spectacular Spider-Man v2 #14

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you straddle a rocket-powered broomstick that looks like it's spewing pixie dust, it's hard to have a respectable first appearance.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ditko can throw people off when people first experience his art (like every Spider-Man does at some point) because his faces can be a little rougher and they're very expressive in a way you don't see from early Silver Age where it seems so many of his contemporaries have a more polished look, like Romita who had a commercial illustration background.

But man, once you appreciate his work there's no one like him. The way his Spider-Man is constantly contorted and positioned in a way that would be so awkward for other heroes is still unmatched today. Credit for that kind of stuff usually goes to McFarlane, Bagley, Larsen, or even Frenz (who I loved) but those guys all do Spider-Man with his poses always somewhat self-consciously cool or gymnastic whereas Ditko's Spider-Man often seemed just on the verge of pure flailing, which sounds bad but it made the art so dynamic and made it look like the fights were more dangerous. I'm a huge fan of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master movies and that style of drunken boxing is what Ditko's Spider-Man reminds me of, where he's able to fight effectively in a way that looks like he's about to trip over his own feet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

Also shouldn't Spider-man's web shooters not work underwater? If so that's a neat idea.

They don't work in the sense that he can't fire a line through the water but they still release webs. There's a panel shortly after where he does and it spools out into a big mess between him and Ock.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another thing I only realised recently is that there's something like 25 years between the first and second appearances of the Sinister Six operating as a unified supervillain team-up. They're in that annual, which I think is 1964, then I don't think they're back until Michelinie is writing in 1989 or so.

Yeah the Frightful Four over in FF were making lots of appearances but for some reason writers didn't use the Sinister Six for a long time.

I think the stories are better for it, honestly. It should only be a special event. The more Spider-Man is able to defeat all six the less important or scary any single one of them is. You also need to keep thinking of increasingly contrived reasons for why they wouldn't all team up at the same time and win or why they would choose to fight only one at a time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another thing that I remember surprising me the first time I read any Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (having only been familiar with the Spider-Man '94 cartoon and the first Sam Raimi movie) was that in those issues, Doctor Octopus is effectively his arch-enemy. Goblin has some big stories but even after he discovers Peter's secret identity, he's not his biggest villain. He doesn't become that until he kills Gwen, and even after that story, he's dead and gone for about 25 years until the third act of the Clone Saga. Meanwhile, Ock is the first villain who beats Spider-Man, the first who unmasks him, the one who organises and leads the Sinister Six, and he's the one who's was revealed as the true villain in the Master Planner storyline.

Before Norman came back I doubt there would have been a Spider-Man fan who questioned Ock being Spider-Man's greatest enemy. I get the feeling Slott wanted to go back to that.

The only other contenders would be Hobgoblin, Venom, and Harry. Even in the 80s though when the answer might be Hobgoblin or Harry there were some big Dr. Octopus appearances. The storyline with him, Owl, and Black Cat was great. The sense of dread in the lead up to Spider-Man having to protect Black Cat at the hospital when he knows Ock is coming back to finish her off sticks with me from when I first read those issues over ten years ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I that I think only the Flash comes closest to out of any Superhero.

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

The Flash has his entire Rogue's Gallery though? Most of whom don't have speed powers.

Oh, he has a ton of other villains but aren't his most evil arch-enemies typically speedsters? I know Captain Cold and Grodd are up there but they don't seem like the ones who really hurt Flash like other villains who kill people close to him.

But I'm not all that well-versed in Flash so maybe I'm way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I think it was a huge mistake to bring Norman back and retcon him into having been an evil guy even before he turned into the Goblin. We got some fun stories out of it but it essentially just turned the character into a generic evil businessman first and the Green Goblin second, and completely invalidated the emotional punch of all those old stories. It removes the tragedy inherent in the character.

Flop sweat Norman was the best Norman. He makes an appearance in Raimi's movie when Norman recovers from his Osborn trance in the elevator up to Pete and Harry's place.

• Locked thread