Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The fact that it's a faculty strike is pretty interesting. I didn't think their union was organized enough to pull something like that off. Good for them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Do bigoted they hide their articles behind paywalls

article posted:

Some minority groups can’t catch a break.

Opposition to one such group was overpowering Tuesday, when more than 500 supporters of the Chabot Gun Club packed an East Bay Regional Park District meeting in an effort to keep it from closing. But the gun lovers never had a chance.

It ain’t easy being conservative in the Bay Area, a part of the country known for tolerance, inclusion and diversity — except when diversity includes right wingers.

“Every angry middle-aged white guy in Alameda County is here,” quipped one East Bay Regional Park District official, who described the park district as “Occupy Oakland versus ‘Duck Dynasty.’”

Packing a public meeting with supporters is a strategy that has been used successfully by left-leaning Bay Area activists for decades, and it still works. But for conservative supporters — outnumbered and outgunned in Bay Area politics — not so much.

Of course, not every gun club supporter who showed up Tuesday was necessarily a registered Republican, a Trump supporter or a card-carrying conservative. But let’s face it: Guns are a core issue among conservatives, and when pitted against environmental concerns, the love of guns typically wins out.

After five hours of impassioned pleas from gun owners and law enforcement agencies, which were met with calls for responsible environmental protections, the East Bay Regional Park District Board voted unanimously to close the gun range for good. The club was given one year to manage its affairs and clear out.

Keeping a low profile

In Alameda County, where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans more than 4 to 1, conservatives tend to tread lightly, said Sue Caro, a former chair of the Alameda County Republican Party.

“I discovered very quickly that if you’re a Republican, the deeper into Oakland and Berkeley you go, the more you encounter indifference and people who just ignore you,” Caro said. Republicans like Caro, who has lived in Oakland for 30 years, tend to maintain a low profile, even sometimes concealing — or denying — their true party affiliation, she added.

As a result, most Republicans aren’t often regarded as legitimate candidates, Caro said and complained that in Berkeley and Oakland, the League of Women Voters doesn’t invite Republican candidates to join in candidate forums they sponsor.

“And when we ask, they show surprise that a Republican is running.” she said. “It’s like we don’t matter. That’s how they treat us.”

Louise Rothman-Riemer, president of the League of Women Voters Oakland, called Caro’s assertion false and said that all candidates who qualify for the ballot are invited to participate in such forums.

Caro has filed as a candidate in the November congressional race to run against incumbent Barbara Lee, a Democratic icon, but views her candidacy as little more than a token effort.

“No one is going to pay attention to me, and when nobody pays attention you don’t get press opportunities — and you don’t get to give your message to large groups when there is no money coming in,” Caro said. “There is no cavalry coming to help me.”

Caro said even as the local Republic Party is grooming a new generation of candidates who represent the area’s ethnic diversity, they get no media attention.

Perhaps that’s why local Republicans are suspicious of media inquiries, often regarding them as potential ambushes. No one from the Chabot Gun Club returned my calls to talk about the meeting.

Making gains

If there is a silent minority in the Bay Area, I’m pretty sure it’s Republicans.

Despite their second-class status, inroads are being made, say some conservatives, who point to the rise of Catharine Baker of San Ramon, who won the 16th Assembly District seat in 2014. Caro pointed to the five-member Pleasanton City Council: all Republican. And to nearby Dublin, where three of five council members are GOP members. The mayors of both cities are Republicans as well, she said.

In Bay Area politics, there is no pendulum swing in voter trends and little tolerance for opposing viewpoints. Instead, Bay Area residents choose from moderate to extreme degrees of liberal politics — and in a region of the country on the leading edge of diverse communities and inclusion, they effectively silence opposing views. That doesn’t sound like the tolerance we espouse.

edit: vv good point, I've edited in the article instead of discussing how to get around paywalls.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 5, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fits my needs posted:

No. They need to make the trains automated and cut the chaff. Too bad the unions will stone wall and block any changes that might make the commuters' experience better and make things more efficient. You can barely understand what the hell some conductors are saying like names of stops or other announcements. Why is that not automated? How many times has a disabled person been screwed over because of that? Can't lose those jobs!

After seeing a Bart janitor using the same mop and bucket of water to clean the handrails of the escalators and stairs as the floor, I think they are being paid fine for their work. It's pretty awesome too when he smiles and says what a good job he's doing!

Plus it's not like it matters. The way Bart is funded and how integral it is now pretty much guarantees apathy and not giving a gently caress in regards to service provided by its public center employees.

I've seen the (often literal) poo poo that the janitors have to clean up at BART stations, and honestly they deserve to be paid well for that work. But you know that the strike was about more than them, right? The drivers and the track maintenance workers were the main force behind it, and they have technical, safety critical jobs which are vital to the day-to-day operation of the entire Bay Area. Why shouldn't they be able to push for better/safer working conditions? The strike was an effective tactic, and if management didn't want to inconvenience the people who rely on the BART workers to get to work safely every day, then management shouldn't have tried to play hardball with the contract.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I figure traffic can only get so bad, and if the tech industry keeps growing then eventually we will see more serious money dumped into mass transit / someone will actually form a regional transit authority. So we probably won't be dead by the time BART gets significantly expanded, but it'll be a while yet.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Why do we have laws about breaking and entering? I can open most older doors with a credit card. For that matter, why do we even have locks? It's relatively easy to make a lockpicking set at home, plenty of people do it. Sure, lockpicks are illegal but when has something being illegal ever stopped a criminal?

I agree with your broader point, but the lockpick part is kind of a bad argument because lockpicks are legal in most of the US (and most relevantly they are legal in CA).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Because that way we can punish people after the fact. Also laws supposedly act as deterrents.

Violent crimes are usually different. A law requiring you pass a background check to buy ammo (for the gun you already passed a check to get, or for the gun you got illegally but somehow couldn't get ammo for by the same means) is going to deter someone from shooting up a theater, or murdering their spouse? Because the misdemeanor penalty for breaking that law is scary, but the murder rap they'll face isn't?

Trab already covered the background checks for ammo catching some people who slipped through the cracks on the background check when buying guns, but I wanted to address the other half of your post, about people murdering their spouse (or committing suicide). These things are often impulse decisions, and if we make it less convenient to go buy some extra ammo, it can give people the time they need to cool off and work through their problem in a less violent manner. Now, sure, some people will already have the ammo they need at home and won't need to go buy more before they kill their wives/their neighbors/themselves, but not everyone will. This legislation will save lives, and I don't really think it's so onerous to most gun owners as to not be worth that.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So what would effective gun control legislation look like? If there's already an effortpost or an article on this somewhere feel free to just quote that post or point me to the article or whatever. I've often heard the argument from gun people that there could be better legislation if politicians knew more about guns, but I've never actually heard what that better legislation would be.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

drat, that sucks. The USA has been boycotting sovereign nations since before its founding, and boycotts were a major force against the South African apartheid. Now Israel has its own apartheid, and California says boycotting that is a step too far.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Artificer posted:

Anyone have thoughts on this site? http://ballot.fyi/

It's getting posted around facebook and a cursory examination so far seems to confirm my suspicions that anything that talks about voting on propositions from a "non-partisan" point of view isn't.

For what it's worth, KQED's California proposition site seems pretty decent.

edit: There's no substitute for ballotpedia though. Also yeah the site you linked is pretty far from "nonpartisan".

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm voting Clinton because I think she's legitimately the best candidate on the ballot by a pretty wide margin. Also the Democrats this year have a very progressive platform (by Democratic standards), and Hillary's platform in particular has a lot of good stuff in it, and I think voting for them now that they have moved left encourages them to continue moving left.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Well if you're going to have fun voting third party, how's Peace And Freedom? They seem decent from a cursory glance, but with that kind of nanoparty you never know if they have some completely awful view that you've just happened to miss.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Anyone have a good writeup on prop 57, I'm having a hard time with this one.

Vote yes.

https://lwvc.org/vote/elections/ballot-recommendations/prop-57-public-safety-and-rehabilitation-act
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-end-proposition-57-20161004-snap-story.html
http://www.peterates.com/props-1116.shtml#prop57

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

The main problem with CRV in California (and other states) is that you basically have to drive to the podunk outskirts of town to a recycling center, and often wait in a long smelly line just to get your return. This means you usually have to stockpile a lot of cans to make it even worthwhile to make that trip, and many people do not have room to stockpile a bunch of cans and then dedicate the time to go out for that long trip. Effectively it is just sort of an extra tax on the average person and most people will just opt to throw it in their recycling dumpster instead since it's still not quite worth the while unless you're literally unemployed or have a big yard to keep a giant garbage can full of cans.

I recently tried to cash in the beer bottles left at my house after a Halloween party, and I made four separate trips to the town's recycling center. I was told on the first trip that the hours listed for the recycling center online were wrong and it was closed, on the second trip that the recycling center decided to close early that day, on the third trip that they weren't accepting bottles that day, and on the fourth trip that the line was well over an hour long. After all that I just decided that it wasn't worth the $7.50 or whatever I was going to get from the recycling center so I just threw the ~150 bottles in the recycling bin. I couldn't believe how annoying the whole process was.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Yeah something tells me succeeding from the union won't go as smoothly as you guys think.

It could, especially if Scotland successfully secedes first to show people how modern secession is done. No one wants a war with California, and the Republicans probably want California to secede anyways since it gives them a very solid electoral map even when demographic shifts would otherwise catch up to them.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I personally think it would be pretty awesome if California's healthcare system was so good that sick people from across the country moved here to use it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

My girlfriend and I went to the rally in downtown San Luis Obispo. Our chief of police gave a quick speech at the start that we could barely hear, but was apparently stressing that they are not our enemy and just want everybody to be safe.

Nice. One thing that I've been very happy with is authority figures in CA standing up and explicitly taking the anti-hate side. I got emails from Janet Napolitano, George Blumenthal (Chancellor of UCSC), and the local graduate student administration all saying that Trump does not reflect the values of their organizations nor the values of Californians.

quote:

Lots of "Not our president" chants that we didn't join in on, because he'll be it, like it or not.

I think this chant is more about Trump not being "their president" as in he is not the president that they personally elected, nor is he a president who reflects their values. Obviously he soon will actually be the president of the USA.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It just occurred to me that if we do #Calexit we might get the President Brown and California nationalism that Jello Biafra promised us.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Snakes too, or so I've been led to believe.

That flag kicks rear end.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The California Condor is the correct symbol of California.

On the one hand, it's a bird that we've brought back from the very edge of extinction, by caring about the environment and making an effort to save a critically endangered species. And, much like California, it's the biggest - the largest North American land bird, with a wingspan of almost ten feet. And it's mostly due to California's efforts that now garbage states like Utah and Arizona get to have this bird back again. At enormous expense, mind you, no Republican would think of spending $35M to save one endangered species.

On the other hand, it's a hideous giant vulture that eats rotten roadkill.

Look at this majestic animal:

Look into it's eye. That expression is 100% "gently caress You." Perfect.

This post is perfect.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sydin posted:

No idea what the laws are around states launching their own sattelites, but California certainly has the money and manpower to do it if they really wanted to.

As much as I would love a full-fledged CA space program, my guess is that the more likely option would be CA providing some funding to support current satellites and to subcontract future launches out to SpaceX.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So one thing that is occasionally brought up when discussing California standing up to the federal government is the federal government cutting off highway funding to California. How feasible would it be for California to supply that funding itself? I feel as though a temporary tax increase in order to fund our state in spite of the feds could pass if it was sold to the voters well. And if California could supply its own highway funding, what else could the federal government do to dick over California and could we deal with those things as well?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Though, yes, we'll probably be doing everything in our power to give them reasons to hate us more over the next four+ years, too.

Hallelujah :ca:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

Dunno if this is the correct thread for it, but it's the closest I could find on the first couple pages of DnD.

My wife is hispanic and looking for some books on early American-hispanic relations, injustices, politics, labor rights etc.

The majority of what she's found with some quick searching is kids books, fictional novels, or personal memoirs. She's looking more for a historical analysis/discussion type book.

If you know of a better thread to ask in that be cool too.

I think this thread is a fine place to ask this, but you might also want to try a thread in the new race subforum of D&D. Specifically the new racial history thread might be interested in it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Ahem its two point five buck chuck thank you very much

"Upchuck"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Universities have a duty to protect their students. Milo is a threat to the students, having bullied a trans student until she was forced to drop out, and because of this Universities should not allow him to visit.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Edit: on second thought, this post was kind of rambling and stupid.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 2, 2017

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I don't really buy the argument that California seceding would lead to civil war. There is not nearly as much ill-will between CA and the rest of the US as there was between the South and the North. There's nothing as divisive or horrible as slavery, there's no bleeding Kansas, there's no John Brown, etc. And secession without civil war is not exactly unheard of nowadays--Scotland almost did it a few years ago, and no one was thinking that the UK would invade them if they left. If California voted to secede the Republicans would have a choice between letting them go, and thus ensuring Republican dominance for at least another generation, or fighting a possibly-extremely-bloody civil war for no real benefit. I have a hard time thinking they would choose the latter.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Litany Unheard posted:

Losing one-eighth of your tax base seems like something most nations would fight pretty hard to prevent.

Seriously the US economy would be crippled without California. You aren't building roads in Bumblefuck, Arkansas without those sweet Cali tax dollars.

Edit: The post above mine said basically the same thing but better. Teach me to leave tabs open.

I mean, Scotland is 1/12th of the UK's GDP. It's not like that is orders of magnitude different. And a civil war would definitely be much, much worse for the US economy than letting California leave in peace.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Necroskowitz posted:

Watch out folks, Nigel is coming for us.

Why would any Democratic Californian vote for that split? If I'm reading this right, it basically creates a new red state, while not significantly decreasing California's population (which is the source of California's electoral underrepresentation). Plus it's not like the red inland parts of the state are dragging down the rest of CA, since we have a Dem supermajority in both houses.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Fresno itself is terrorism but i dont see anyone tripping over themselves to do anything about it.

Did some new info come out or something? I thought the police had been pretty adamant in saying it wasn't terrorism, just a guy off his meds.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

you misunderstand - Fresno the city is an act of civic terrorism

Oh gotcha. Somehow my eyes just skipped right over the word "itself" in your post.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Looks like we are one step closer to single payer. There are still a lot of unanswered questions though.

The LA Times posted:

A sweeping measure that would establish government-run universal healthcare in California cleared its first legislative hurdle Wednesday as scores of supporters crammed into the Capitol to advocate for a single-payer system.

The Senate Health Committee approved the measure on a 5-2 vote after a nearly three-hour hearing, but Democrats and Republicans alike signaled unease with the major question still unanswered in the legislation: how the program would be paid for.

The bill, SB 562, would establish a publicly run healthcare plan that would cover everyone living in California, including those without legal immigration status. The proposal would drastically reduce the role of insurance companies: The state would pay for all medical expenses, including inpatient, outpatient, emergency services, dental, vision, mental health and nursing home care.

The measure says the program would be funded by "broad-based revenue," but does not specify where that money would come from.

"How can we go forward with this bill without a fiscal analysis, a detailed financing plan?" asked Sen. Janet Nguyen (R-Garden Grove).

Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens), a coauthor of the bill, said a detailed financial study would be completed in May, before the bill is heard in the Appropriations Committee, a key fiscal panel.

"Sen. [Toni] Atkins and I are not just going to do this on a whim," Lara said, referring to his coauthor, a Democrat from San Diego. "We want to make sure it's sustainable."

With the significant unanswered question of funding still looming, lawmakers turned their focus to the implementation of such a system, with ideas including the use of electronic health records and securing waivers from the federal government to administer Medicare and Medi-Cal funds.

"Because I ask questions about how we operationalize the bill, it should not call into question my commitment to healthcare for all," Sen. Holly J. Mitchell (D-Los Angeles) said, emphasizing that her inquiries were on "the issue of how we get it done."

Supporters of the bill turned out in force at the Capitol, many wearing red shirts identifying them as members of the California Nurses Assn., a powerful labor group sponsoring the bill. Other labor groups, including the California Labor Federation, and consumer groups also backed the effort, as well as members of the grass-roots Our Revolution group inspired by the 2016 presidential campaign of U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

A wide array of business groups opposed the measure, including health insurers, manufacturers and the California Chamber of Commerce, which called the bill a "job killer."

The hearing came on the heels of a fact-finding trip to Canada by Lara, who, who along with two other Democratic senators met with health officials in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec to learn about their single-payer healthcare systems.

In an interview, Lara described how his spring break trip to Canada helped inform his views on public healthcare. He said his Canadian hosts acknowledged their healthcare system was not perfect, pointing to long wait times to see specialists as a legitimate concern.

But other fears, such as whether public healthcare would dampen research and innovation, were assuaged by a visit to a high-tech cardiac center in Toronto, he said.

"It was refreshing for me to see that … under a public system that research and state-of-the-art facilities and care can also exist," Lara said.

None of the Canadian experts warned the senators away from pursuing a single-payer plan, but they recommended a cautious approach, Lara said, particularly when it comes to deciding at the outset what type of care would be covered under the public plan.

The advice was to "be very diligent and thoughtful in terms of what you're going to offer — because once you offer it, you can't take it away," Lara said. They also advised looking to other models — not just Canada's — in crafting a plan for California. Lara said he intends to examine Taiwan's healthcare system, as well as Maryland's "all-payer" system, in which all private insurers pay the same rate for hospital procedures.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

FCKGW posted:

My rep Ken Calvert is a real piece of poo poo with a quickly growing Hispanic constituency but he still won 2016 by 17 points :/

Good. If Kansas 4 or Georgia 6 are any indication, that puts him right within striking distance of replacement.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Just called my rep (Bill Monning) about SB 562, which was actually my first time calling a political office. I feel pretty good about it! It only took a second, too. http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, that's like, every public facing city employee (and occasionally members of the Board of Supervisors.)

Agreed. Those people should all be paid extremely well, too.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

For reference, Governor Jerry just signed this guy and moved the presidential primary up to March:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB568

I wonder why most members of a certain bloc voted No!

Still hoping we move to ranked-choice voting, or something like it, one of these days.

Hell yeah! This is great news.

Agreed w/r/t ranked choice, or my personal favorite: approval voting. Also, I don't think any federal-level election (including primaries) should be winner-take-all, and instead delegates should be awarded proportionally for each state. But this is an excellent (if small) step towards making things better.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sydin posted:

Thoughts on the new 12 cents/gallon gas tax going into effect tomorrow? On the one hand $5+ billion in additional revenue for transport infrastructure is much needed and it's nice that some of that money is earmarked for local towns to use for their own infrastructure. On the other hand though it feels regressive as gently caress; the only group that's going to feel the squeeze are poor earners who have to commute for work.

Yeah it's super regressive, especially in California where the poor commute 1.5 hours each way and the rich walk to work (or work from home). The extra money is definitely a good thing, but it's an awful way to pay for it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

I somewhat disagree. I'm against sales-tax and obviously best thing to do is repeal Prop 13. But Bay Bridge toll is going up $6 to $9, should it even have a toll because that's regressive? Infact should all bridges be free just because it's regressive? Should alcohol tax be abolished (perhaps it should) because it's super regressive? Should weed not be taxed when it's finalized sold legally?

I'd personally answer yes to all of these (and additionally think we shouldn't tax cigarettes), but in the case of alcohol, weed, and cigarettes I can at least understand wanting to try to control people's behavior via taxes. In the case of gas taxes though, it is often very difficult for the poor (or shrinking middle class) to reduce their driving significantly since public transit is such a mess in CA and they need to get to work and they can't afford to move closer to work. So I don't think this is likely to reduce driving much, and will instead just disproportionately tax the poor and middle classes.

If it comes out that this actually does decrease driving significantly, I'll still grumble that it's regressive but won't find it nearly as distasteful as a whole.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cicero posted:

Cascadia thread is that way

You got me all excited; I thought there really was a Cascadia thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cross-posting from the state and local politics thread: Sacramento's mayor is extremely :black101:

https://twitter.com/Mayor_Steinberg/status/948988941364965376