Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I know a couple people who work in SF regional politics, and evidently Yee has always had a reputation as something of a slimeball who does shady poo poo. Still, they're pretty shocked that instead of getting busted for getting campaign contributions from illegal sources or something similar, he was loving helping to sneak MANPADS into the country. Jesus. Know when to quit Leland.

Motherfucker cost the Dems their supermajority too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Telesphorus posted:

Is there really any practical way to address gentrification in the Bay Area? I guess I'm confused, because if there's a tech boom in an area that's expensive to begin with, then of course non-tech skilled people are going to be at a disadvantage.

It does, however, make me wonder how the hell police officers and mailmen afford to live there - even in apartments, let alone raise families? Do they all have to commute to the city they police/deliver mail in?

Seems like these changes are out of our control. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CA is the best place in the country to be a public employee. SFPD start at 80 grand, although that may just be the high cost of living.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Some good news : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-04/university-of-california-endowment-returns-7-2-in-2015 .

Anyone else get affected by this? My fellowship got doubled because the department will have more funding than they anticipated . Maybe grad school was a good decision.:unsmith:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The SAT has plenty of problems, and if I were emperor I would probably try and have it replaced with a better test, but some kind of standardized test is absolutely necessary as part of the college admissions process. Grades are all but worthless in determining student mastery of matieral because the variation between schools is so great. I've worked in a high-need low-income school, and showing up, not being disruptive, and making any kind of effort to learn was enough to get an A from many of the teachers there. Compare that to a student who went to a more rigorous college prep school where you have to bust your rear end to even get a C, and you see how unreliable grades can be as a metric. It's a complicated problem.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Cryogenically freeze Jerry Brown and thaw him out in 4 years.

Moonbeam 2020.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Press enterprise says they both passed.

Also whattup fellow rivergoon. Mission inn! Wood streets! Uhhh, yeah!

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I'm kind of glad Newman won aside from the supermajority. He's an endearingly weird guy who clearly put together large parts of his campaign website personally.

I mean look at the picture his campaign gave the LA times.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You so Feine you blow my mind, Diane.

Person who works in state politics told me the other day that the main "swing vote" (most flexible demographic) in CA elections is white liberal-leaning mothers, and most campaign strategies were centered around them. Is this true? It does kinda make sense.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
We can be pretty economically liberal, if you put a tax increase on rich people on the ballot it will probably pass.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Goddamn what the hell is baby-mans problem?

Anyway, how realistic id Brown's whole "we'll launch our drat satellites!". Is that something CA could realistically do?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Thanks to you clowns, most of the guns and people who are knowledgeable about them are in other states now, so have fun dying in droves on the Idaho front.

Small arms will be useless once is the Moonbeam orbital weapons platform is online friend.

In all seriousness, of all the reasons CalExit would be a terrible idea, "heh you effete liberals will be no match for TUFF COUNTRY FOLK" isn't really one of them. Guns aren't hard to make, and getting a working knowledge of them sufficient for an average soldier isn't that difficult. There are many things that make CalExit a fantastically bad idea, but the notion that it's somehow beyond the capability of one of the world's largest economies to start manufacturing assault rifles and training people in their use isn't one of them.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Although I don't think that CalExit would be a good idea at all, does anyone think that seriously threatening independence(to the extent of having a referendum on it Scotland style) would get the state some more leverage with the federal government? Maybe stop the Feds from dicking around in attempts to get state level UHC or get popular vote presidential elections or fairer legislative representation?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Orinda is the far more revolutionary location.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

sincx posted:

There are goons in Lamorinda? :tinfoil:

We are everywhere friend.
What part of The Whitest Land do you reside in?

Re figure chat, surprised no one mentioned Hiram Johnson. Complicated but interesting guy.

How good is Tony Villa? None of the other candidates for governor really excite me. I really don't like Chiang, and Newsome
Is eh.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 12, 2017

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Evidently we aren't America anymore.

"I'm taking my ball and going home to Texas."

I've never seen someone take losing an election so poorly.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I normally think primarying incumbent Dems is a horrible idea, but I'd actually be all for it Feinstein''s case.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
90% of the time bills don't reach the floor unless they know it's going to pass. No one in the majority wants to waste legislative time on non-starters.

90% of the time.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I just logged onto the stream.... I'm guessing the name on the screen is not the name of the person talking.

nope, name of guy who introduced the bill

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
MULTI PAYER SYSTEM

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Newman is suuupppeerr vulnerable (facing a recall), don't know which way he'll go on this.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
i know hope is a mistake, but uhhhh drat

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
if it passes the senate that's probably ballgame for the legislature, they wouldn't have brought it to the senate floor without doing the armbreaking necessary there first.

Brown's signature on the other hand...

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I for one am fine with the decades old underwater tunnel being maintained every night. I like not dying in total darkness surrounded by screaming people.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You don't have a defend a job as being technically complex and hard for it to deserve a living wage, and I'll never understand the impulse of so many leftists to reflexively do so. It's fine to admit that some jobs are relatively low-skill, not terribly difficult ones, and that the people doing them should still be guaranteed enough to live dignified, fulfilling lives

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Driving back home from work this week has been amazing. I can't telecommute, its not possible with my line of work, but I was thinking about how many commuters can actually do that. Why isn't this poo poo being pushed? Would a tax incentive be a bad idea?

Anyway, some California content today that was shared from a conservative facebook friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYREe5MsZEw

Simplistic feel good as gently caress.

"Californians spend too much of their lives in cars, so let's expand freeways"

Choke and die on smog motherfucker

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 30, 2017

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The CA GOP are concerned that they’ll gently caress themselves out of being on the governors ballot this year like they did with the senate last election by running too many candidates in the jungle primary (leading to the top two vote getters both being democrats), so that’s good.

https://twitter.com/latseema/status/950113359478767616

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I was under the impression that whenever you hear about a city ‘paying’ $texas in a settelement, that’s rarely what happens. They’re insured for that lessons of thing, I think at least. They probably just end up paying higher premiums.

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey is this the place to ask for info on getting involved in the 2018 campaign against Jeff Denham (CA-10)? Way back I signed up for newsletters from a group called Swing Left and they feel like they've just devolved into another fundraising email generator but I definitely noticed when they said his district looked target-able for 2018. Yet as 2018 actually arrives I realize I'm a disconnected dumbass and I'm not even sure who if anyone is setting up to take a shot at his seat. I'd like to stop being a disconnected dumbass.

Isn’t the whole point of swing left that they’ll send you emails and tell you when/how to get involved in a particular race? I’m disappointed if they don’t work.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Assemblyman Choi posted today about voting against the rent control bill in committee on his facebook. I was following the post and got a notification that he commented on it.

He posted a gif of two shirtless dudes making out. The whole post has been deleted, but i managed to grab a screenshot.

llooolll dude is a big ‘traditional values’ type too.

coronaball posted:

Ballotpedia says this guy has the most cash on hand by a wide margin. I don't know a thing about him, other than he looks like he's fifteen years old.

https://www.harderforcongress.com/

I was expecting to be all ‘uggh well at least he’s marginally better than a republican’, but he seems...good? If this is how bold even technocrat centrists in competitive districts feel, i’m (very) cautiously optimistic.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Any exit polls so far or will I be required to wait 25 whole minutes?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Early results don’t look good. At least one shutout so far. gently caress.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Is the republican in second place behind Huey Lewis and the Newsome the trump republicans or the boring\koch one?

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 6, 2018

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The UC is still v. good, the schools kill it in the rankings, it's just rapidly becoming no longer a public institution.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Proud boys are evidently gonna be in Oakland tonight looking to start fights with people at bars.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
In non-hell news, it looks like the Dems may totally shut out the GOP in ....Orange County?

The OC is good now I guess.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
So uh, who is the state education superintendent? The SoS website shows Thurmond ahead with 100% reporting by about three thousand, but doesn't appear to have made any kind of official declaration.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean, it’s not inconceivable that a few people are taking advantage of the inferno to do a little insurance fraud.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
My watch is telling me not to go outside because the air isn't good to breathe, cool future we have here.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I would legit loving sue if I was on one of those teams and they tried to get me to perform incredible intensive physical activity with this air quality.

e: the football teams, not the firefighter crews in case it wasn't clear

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I think Gavin Newsome is fine actually? I mean this thread, myself included is pretty far to the left of CA electorate, so we obviously have problems with him, but honestly, he’s...fine? I don’t really care what’s in his heart of hearts, I care about what policies he excites, and the ones he’s proposed are good for the most part. We’ll see I guess.

I do think left skepticism of him is good though, because it keeps up pressure on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean, let’s at least see what the guy does in office before we scorn him as the Cali-Coumo or whatever.