Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

krysmopompas posted:

Hell yeah build more poo poo on land that will inevitably not have reliable access to water by 2030 and not address that problem at all. Empty luxury units probably don’t consume that much water, so maybe it’s no big deal.

denser housing (aka duplexes) is far more water efficient than single family detached housing, but please, don’t let that in the way of your masturbatory “heh, you plebs think better things are possible :smug:” fest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Just make the farmers pay for the loving water at anything near a reasonable rate (we are very slowly already doing this, it’s why you see all the angry signs on the five) and they’ll implement irrigation best practices on their own once it’s actually metered.

CA farmers are some of the biggest whiny shitheads imaginable and the image of humble honest yeoman farmers doing honest labor to support their families by providing food can’t die fast enough. Treat their workers like poo poo, devastate the local environment, get subsidized all over the place, and expect to be lauded as heroes for it.

My most tankie opinion is definitely that agriculture should be in some way collectively owned. If we’re going to subsidize it this heavily just cut out the middleman.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes I suspect the real split in politics is as much about whether you want government to help people or punish your perceived enemies as it is whether you're on the left or the right.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a few public figures even, people I used to agree with or even respect, just become increasingly unmoored as the guiding star of their politics became more and more owning THOSE loving SMUG PMC BRUNCH LIBS or something similar.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 23, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, the whole idea is to make it unprofitable to grow water intensive crops like almonds (or at least less profitable) by making the water required cost more. Water doesn’t cost enough for them now, but if it did, almonds wouldn’t be as profitable to grow, at least in the current fashion.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It would impact crops that require water more, which is the bad thing about almonds (shitloads of water). If there are even more water intensive crops that are less profitable I guess that could happen, sure. But the goal is to reduce water used, not necessarily stop almonds from being grown.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

FEEED my my ALMOOOONDS, mister NEWSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

more more more more always more we want it it it's ours give it to us spend as much as it takes to give it to us more more more of course we won't PAY for it who do you think we are

Greedy land baron posted:

Other farmers, like Kathy Briano, reject the prospect of idling fertile Central Valley land. Briano agrees that it makes sense to protect the aquifer. But to make up for it, she wants the state to deliver more water from dams and reservoirs, to which she says the farms are entitled. "My solution is, you need to bring us more water," she says. "We can't keep taking from the valley, because we're taking away [food] production, and where can we grow everything? Right here!"

Even when papers go hunting for the most sympathetic possible small farmer it's stuff like this

Hereditary land baron complain about having to pay to use public resource her extractive business consumes posted:

Masumoto is the fourth generation of her family to farm this land in Del Rey: 80 organic acres of stone fruit in eastern Fresno county in California’s fertile Central Valley, its most perfect peaches bound for the epicurean Chez Panisse restaurant in Berkeley.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Quote! It's not edit folks! :sad:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The almonds themselves aren’t the problem, almonds aren’t like inherently bad or some poo poo, they aren’t The Nut Of Sin. It’s that there was until very recently little reason to not farm in the cheapest, most water intensive way possible because it was basically free until very recently and still doesn’t cost farmers what it should.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Proust Malone posted:

It should be noted that the “area” isn’t really poor. There is a shitload of money in ag. If you took all the dollars from all the gold dug up in the gold rush, CA ag makes that. Every year. Year over year.

Very little of that trickles down to the workers in the area of course

Yes. Farmers are, overall, wealthier than average. Farm workers are the ones who actually put food on our tables and are treated like poo poo because agricultural labor sucks (there’s a reason multiple civilizations, searching for a reliable way to get people to do it, landed on: slavery).

That being said, banning almonds is dumb, farmers don’t grow them because they’re Captain Planet villains who chortle and say I LOVE WASTING WATER. Crops like almonds are the symptom, not the problem themselves.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I guess if a goon ever looks likely to win power in CA I’m filing a warehouse with Marzipan to make a killing after almond prohibition goes through. I’ll be the sugary Escobar of the Central Valley.

E: It is a little weird that something we evidently corner not only the national but global market in features so little in state identity, symbols, etc. If any other state produced like 80% of the world’s almonds you know it would be in the state motto and the state university football team would be called the Fightin’ Nuts.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 24, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FMguru posted:

One of the big negative effects of ag water being so cheap in CA is that farms have zero incentive to invest in conserving it. A ton of it is just straight-up wasted because there's no economic reason to fix leaky pipes or take measures to reduce evaporation.

Yep. If big ag paid anywhere near what you or I did for their water, you’d see way more effective water use. But poo poo’s basically free, the only practical limit is what you can pump, so why not?

I mean, the water is gonna be used, crops need water, people need food. But only when water is more or less free for farmers are you gonna see it used for a crop that takes a gallon per nut and sells for only ten bucks a pound.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Can’t wait until after The Glorious Revolution when crops requiring water and people requiring food (both symptoms of capitalist alienation) cease.

Central Valley is some of the most fertile agricultural land in the world, poo poo’s gonna grow there, and it needs water. There’s no way around that even under luxury space communism. But there’s better uses for that water and land than almonds or alfalfa.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 25, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I would be surprised if compliance with mask mandates in gyms was that high anyway honestly. My gym has one and working out with a mask sucks (yeah it's still good policy in place where people are breathing heavily, etc), saw plenty of people just disregarding totally. Pretty much resigned to staying at home with my kettlebell until things get much better.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It sucks that dems have committed in many states like CA to more fair methods like committees for redistricting, because it pretty much amounts to unilaterally disarming. If the courts won't ban gerrymandering, you need some deterrent to republicans doing it, and one of the the few things that keeps norms like that intact is the prospect of retaliation: I don't gently caress you over too bad because I know that you'll likely be in my position in the near future and don't want to get hosed.

I'd rather a world with no gerrymandering at all, but a world in which the GOP feels no reason at all to not let 'er rip in places like North Carolina, while dems are committed to a fair process, isn't that. Every California republican should be sweating bullets that some GIS wizard with a political science PhD is gonna find a way to gently caress them out of their seat.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Word. I remember when Larry "No Mandates gently caress You" Elder and Gavin "K12 Vax Mandate" Newsom read their policies and it was like they were totally in sync.

no you see there are two possible camps in politics: full communism now and everything else. no other possible differences exist.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, I’d far rather more democrats adopted the Illinois ethos of “when they go low, we kick”, but we’ve sorted the parties such that most of the earnest good government process respecter types are in one party, so that party is at serious disadvantage when it comes to rear end in a top hat brinksmanship games.

We have allowed a ‘real sonofabitch’ gap to develop that is strategically disastrous. Need less Obamas and more Jesse Unruhs, just some shameless partisan hack motherfuckers.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Kaal posted:

https://twitter.com/LesserFrederick/status/1454135007992291344?s=20

At first I thought this plan was just laughably dystopian, but when I paged through the design presentation, it didn't look too bad. The lack of windows would suck, but housing stock in the area is basically non-existent. The market rate for a one-bedroom is heading north of $2,000/month. Lucky students are living three to dorm room or bouncing between hotel rooms, the unlucky students are talking about commuting 2.5 hours via Amtrak, or living out of their car.

There's certainly other solutions - building ample Haussman-style apartments, moving the university back to online classes, or constructing traditional apartment tower complexes. But when I think about my own college dorm it doesn't sound too different - just larger.

yeah honestly my main problem with it is that he isn't footing the whole bill. Actually looks like more space per person than where I lived for my freshman year. If he wanted to fork over enough of his own cash for UCSB to build a giant pseudo-arcology, I don't think I'd really have any objections, and would probably find it kinda interesting. But evidently he's only forking over $200m towards a proposed construction cost of over a billion, which, yeah, no. If you have that singular and weird of a vision, you cover the whole thing Charlie.

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/status/1454181222855299077?s=20

It would be hilarious is this was what got SB NIMBYs to be ok with normal apartment buildings. Just threaten them with The Cube whenever they complain about views or neighborhood character.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 30, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I had assumed they were going to build this in Isla Vista or on campus, where there are no NIMBYs. Were they planning to build it in Santa Barbara proper?

I was talking more about land use in the general area (have to imagine that boomer NIMBY types wouldn't want something like this anywhere near them at all). I believe that the UC, as a state entity, has a lot more lattitude with land use than normal builders, yeah. But rest assured, lovely older people who evidently didn't know they were buying a house next to giant undergrad university can still gently caress things up. Look at what's happening in Berkeley right now, where they literally managed to sue to get the school to admit less students.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The current theory running around the chud fever swamps is that Gavin is dead from a booster shot, because he evidently has not been seen in public for a few days.

https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1457537773909397506?s=21

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Kenning posted:

Missions should be preserved like Nazi work-camps, since that's what they were. They should absolutely not be places where people get married and celebrate mass and where schoolchildren get taken around to admire the architecture and hear about all the hardworking priests and their loyal Indian parishioners.

Like with the statues of Junipero Sierra, I know some older Latino folks are really into them as symbols of the region’s Latino and Catholic history/heritage. I personally don’t really give a poo poo either way, no real dog in that fight. But the contours of the debate over what they symbolically represent to people are a little more complicated than with things like confederate monuments , where it's lost cause types defending them and you know exactly why.

I found this book, on the same subject, really interesting, albeit grim as well: Bordelands of slavery

It also deals with the practice of debt peonage, which was a huge deal in CA and other parts of the southwest.
Congress actually had to send the army into the region to end the practice after the civil war.

In remote areas of the southwest this poo poo continued until the 1960s

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You know, thinking about this: the fact that German concentration camps are rightly regarded as sites of horror and murder probably has more to do than we’d like to admit with the fact that they’re ugly, utilitarian buildings.

There are plenty of structures where horrific things happened, some of which were built specifically to facilitate those things, that essentially are remembered mainly as that pretty old building, all over the world.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah but even in 100 years I don't think people are going to be getting Dachau weddings the way that they do with, say, plantations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Seph posted:

I was specifically referring to the California missions, but yes, all of those things you listed are bad too. I'm not here to defend imperialism. I'm just saying the argument "but people don't have weddings at Dachau!" is kinda dumb because aesthetics is a major consideration for a wedding venue so unless you're into the concentration camp vibe no one is going to want to have a wedding there.

That's literally what I was saying: if the place where horrific things happened is aesthetically nice or not probably plays a major role in how the place is viewed, probably a lot more than we'd like to admit.

As time goes on, the number of people who think of it as simply a nice building is probably going to go up, all else being equal.

CPColin posted:

Some people probably have their wedding at a Mission because they are Catholic and the Mission is perhaps the local Catholic church and they would like their grandparents to not disown them

Yeah, ultimately I think that's why they're always gonna be around. The portion of people who think of it as the nice historic church is probably always going to larger than the number of people who regarded it as a symbol of atrocity.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Manager at the fast causal place I went into for lunch just now was literally asking me and every other young-ish looking person that came in if we were looking for a job because they were hiring. Labor market must be crazy tight now.

Best time in a long time to be a low skill worker probably. Small business tyrants must be getting rinsed compared to larger firms that can afford to raise wages. Which is great, gently caress ‘em. But the political backlash from those kind of people is gonna be pretty scary. Imagine that’s behind a lot of the screaming for the fed to do something to ‘fight inflation’.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
A big political economy challenge is that the people hurt by a tight labor market are going to scream at the top of their lungs about how bad it is, and the people helped by it doing have anywhere near as large a platform. And this is all wonky numbers poo poo so the people most likely to vote are going to come away with vague impression that Things Are Bad Due To Government Spending And Inflation.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yes actually, there’s a ag. labor shortage in a lot of the country right now, or at least there was a couple of months ago. Part of the reason that food prices have gone up a bit.

E: if it wasn’t for rising food prices and the likely political backlash from them, I would want that shortage in particular to get far worse. I cannot think of a group of people who loving deserve to get screwed by a tight labor market more than farmers.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s kinda sad that the vaccine development isn’t seen as more of an accomplishment. Developing an incredibly effective vaccine in record time using new methods and rapidly getting it out. Should be putting that poo poo on postage stamps like stuff like the moon landing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
At this point it looks like the equilibrium policy is, or should be at any rate: vaccines mandated everywhere, periodic boosters, and masks mandated wherever practical and enforceable. Otherwise just open poo poo up. Zero Covid isn’t happening and countries with far greater state capacity in terms of the welfare state haven’t been able to pull it off either.

Absent a variant that vaccines are totally powerless against, there isn’t going to be another lockdown.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

LOL other countries have been able to keep it way way down and not kill off a million of their citizens but since they aren't at Zero why even try amirite

lol buddy you got a time machine to go back to the beginning of 2020, I’ll get in it with you and support lockdowns till I’m blue in the face. But until you get the flux capacitor working, it’s pretty clear that it would be both impossible to pull off politically (because it would be tremendously unpopular), and unlikely to work at this point.

Get shots in arms and require masks on places like public transit.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
At this point I don't really give a poo poo about mask mandates either way honestly. As practiced (where there's little enforcement of wearing them, cloth masks satisfy the criteria, and plenty of absurd little rituals like wearing the mask to your table at a restaurant and then taking it off for hours) it's marginal costs, marginal benefits. It's not a great imposition, it's also unlikely that effective, so honestly I think anyone super passionate about mandates in their current form, in either direction, is just addicted to the COVID culture war.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

No it isn't. There is no shadowy cabal of rich people going "How will we maintain an optimal level of homelessness this quarter?".

It's just indifference where you don't care if someone is out on the streets if it makes you $10, or want to not see them camping on the street without caring if they have anywhere else to go after the cops hassle them away.

yeah people who think there's some financier cabal responsible for this poo poo have lost the plot. It's the conflux of a bunch of petty little evils rather than some council of Wall Street interests.

Major problem with stuff like this is the million little petty fiefdoms that federalism gives us. you can't solve homelessness at the city council level for the people on the streets, but you can maybe get your cops to brutalize them enough that they move on and no longer bother the homeowners who vote in elections for these things.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Get any new boosters as soon as they become available, wear an N95 where appropriate during surges, otherwise just live your life as normal, whatever normal is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Gavin thinking he might be president one day loving us so badly rn

The kind of Indian more likely to migrate to the US, and especially the kind of Indian American likely to be of higher SES and thus more active in politics are more likely to be higher-caste basically.

It's kinda bleakly funny because Indian-Americans are otherwise pretty liberal as a bloc. I know personally know someone who works in Tech DEI, uses "BIPOC", "LATINX", big on land acknowledgements, etc. who was cheering this bill not being signed today. Prevented "Western cultural norms" from being imposed, you see.