Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
here in camarillo it just looks like any other day, but we're still pretty far from fire for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
real cool that if your taxable income was $0 you also don't qualify

thanks gav

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

can we get that bear on the ballot?

i feel like a literal actual bear would be doing a better job with this

at the very least it'd be cuter

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i would personally try very hard not to see those family members

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would personally try very hard not to leave my home

i mean yeah, but that's also something that'd be true if there wasn't a pandemic

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Someone (NOT me) should simply burn all the almond farms to the ground in a controlled manner

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Does it honestly matter in this case? They're both actively decaying and should've been gone long long ago

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

is there an opposite of half mast we can do for this one? or do we just put a confederate flag at half?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Gavbot vetoed the mushroom bill. Dude sucks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I want gav to think he'll be president so I can see him eat incredible amounts of poo poo on a national stage

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

mllaneza posted:

So long as that's in a D primary I'm more than just OK with that.

Absolutely. The lineup would have to be loving dire for him to make it past the primary. Now, I CAN see it being that dire, but

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

BeeSeeBee posted:

Like corn dogs and fried butter at State fairs, or just metaphorically? I wanna see both because there's surprisingly few photos of him eating at all and you know he's going to do it weirdly.

I hadn't considered the first case but now I do want both

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lmao he also vetoed insulin price caps

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The only one I actually cared about was mushrooms and that's dead. I already hated gav but now I lust for the biggest crash and burn possible on the largest stage possible

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

No mushrooms or insulin price caps, but cursive is back on the menu, boys.

https://abc7.com/amp/cursive-california-schools-governor-newsom-teaching-handwriting/13926546/

(I'm a fan of this, but still it's the principle of the thing)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the article raises points in favor that i agree with, but i'm also a weirdo that's in favor of handwriting as much as possible.

i know it helps me remember things way better, and writing in script rather than just block even moreso.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i never have to use math besides basic addition and recognizing numbers, but i had to take 12 years of it.

why are we even still teaching it

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

what's wrong? does something not...compute? :smuggo:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i was hooked on phonics as a childe

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

did it work for you?

jury is still out on that one, kevin

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

CPColin posted:

I'm already writing up a discrimination lawsuit on behalf of left-handed schoolchildren everywhere. Get ready for a ballot proposition allowing lefties to learn cursive backwards (that will fail 95-2).

they have ink for lefties that dries near instantly

anyway the solution for it being as part of art class is good. do that, california

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

sb hermit posted:

as a guy who has many pilot metros and other fountain pens, I would like more people to use fountain pens but I find it impractical for most k12 students to have them given the difficulty in sourcing ink quickly without going online and also getting them to do the minimum amount of maintenance to keep them from drying out or getting ink everywhere

I didn’t take art in high school so maybe this is already a solved problem

tldr having a nice ballpoint pen is good enough to use for cursive

Preppys basically never dry out as long as you can put the cap back on

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kestral posted:

Well, that's the thing, it's not quite that straightforward because there's some neurology weirdness going on. A fair number of studies - like this one, which actually isn't one I'd seen before - have found a connection between note-taking by hand and information retention, possibly because the use of fine motor control encourages the brain to form those memories for whatever reason, and the effects are found in both adults and children.

Like I said, I didn't grow up writing everything, and was a "computers from the age of 5" person and took my college notes on a laptop. Turns out I retain written information noticeably better than typed. But my anecdote is just that, anecdotal, and if the subject actually interests you there's plenty of academic work on it - not all of which comes to the same conclusion! It's still very much an open area of study, not one we can readily dismiss.

Edit: And is it a big deal in the grand scheme of education? Nah. But if we're legislating about it anyway, might as well do it properly.

it's definitely anecdotally the case with me too. i took notes both ways in college, and i never had to look at my handwritten notes because i just remembered it. types notes i had to actually study (often by just copying them by hand). i was also using computers since i was old enough to understand how to use one.

brains are weird

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Self driving robots aiming directly at kids once again

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

https://swindledpodcast.com/podcast/105-the-monopoly/

Listened to this episode of Swindled this morning. Everyone knows PG&E are horrible, but loving hell :guillotine:

yeah i'm from san bruno and was in college when the explosion happened. i got to find out by means of a dozen ims asking where in the city my family lived (not there)

i didn't know anyone in that area, but i think my parents did know people who were just vaporized

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it's been bad all week. it's also made traffic loving awful. my 20 minute drive to work has regularly been 40

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it probably wouldn't hurt

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

One of the models (ICON) has two feet of rain around Santa Barbara by Tuesday.

hm. i'm relatively close to there so this is mildly concerning

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I wish I could get paid to write a couple thousand words saying nothing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

california sucks but it sucks a whole lot less than nearly every other state in this suckass country

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

NGL that sounds fun as gently caress

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I mean for president in particular in this state it's generally safe to have that position.

I can't imagine what it would take for a chud to win CA for president in 20XX

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

*nods furiously* we should make the minimum for everybody $20/hour

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the central coast is good as long as you don't extend it to include ventura county

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

You definitely don't want to know what's going on behind the scenes at the places building your banking apps

Judging how poorly most of them are made I definitely don't want to know

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

before i quit, people at my last poo poo rear end coffee job were also thinking about quitting to just get paid more at starbucks or wherever

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

North Korea
Antarctica
Vietnam

Hey don't forget Cuba, unless I'm out of the loop on something

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Vietnam is also a pretty big tourist destination for southeast Asia last I checked and that made the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ventura is so loving bad about fixing potholes (and also most other things)