Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Sydin posted:

China is the primary export partner for alfalfa, but it's actually the EU and India these days that are buying up all of our almond harvest. China used to be a much larger player in that space but they slapped huge tariffs on them in response to Trump's trade war a couple years ago and have mostly shifted their importing to other countries.

One wonders how long California can keep going as one of the world's major breadbaskets. Pasture, alfalfa, almonds, rice, etc are grown in abundance here but at some point if current climate trends continue there's just not gonna be enough water for that.

We already don't have enough water for it. We're drawing so much faster than the aquifers replenish. Soon the entire central valley will be sinking yearly as empty aquafers collapse in on themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Centrist Committee posted:

Who's this we? I ain't drawing poo poo.

Check out this as an example of how widespread the problem is becoming. It's not just Nestle and Wonderful, it's happening throughout the agricultural system: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/08/well-fixers-story-california-drought/619753/

EDIT: If you are paywalled by the Atlantic, you can read the article here: https://outline.com/NbZBt4

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 22, 2021

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Centrist Committee posted:

I get it, the point is I am not a billionaire, nor am I capitalist, and I don't appreciate being rhetorically included in some performative flagellation, indicting all of humanity, just because liberals are morons who can't see class.

Totally agree, actually. I hate that residential use is even a consideration in debates over water use. Residential use is basically irrelevant. The 'we' in the original post was just referring to all the people living in the state, but I agree that most of us shouldn't have been included in that we.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Masking in San Diego is 50/50 at best. The difference here is that almost none of the stores have updated their signs to require masks. They still have their "masks only required if unvaccinated" signs up, so a lot of people are still opting to forgo them.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The people that are personally affronted by the fact that other people are wearing masks are beyond help. I kinda see how someone might not want to wear masks themselves, but why the hell do they care what other people do? The only possible effect it can have on them is to benefit them... The crazy thing about a lot of these people is they claim elsewhere to be libertarians.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah my aunt had to live in an iron lung for a few weeks because of polio. There's a reason "the iron lung" is no longer a TV prop/plot point.

Vaccines rule.

For real. They are literally the closest thing to magic we've got and tons of people are like, "Nah, I'm not gonna do that".

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FilthyImp posted:

We could probably do well to do come kind of incentive-based works project switching from sprinklers to drip feeds

Drip feeds don't reduce water usage, they just allow farmer to plant more land with the same water. If they run out of land, they sell the water to someone else, who uses it. Water efficiency is really besides the point when talking about Ag water usage.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Dirk the Average posted:

It is a lot more upsetting to me than I would expect to see someone write down "5" instead of "the 5."

Apparently, people outside of California find it upsetting when I say "the 5" instead of "I-5". I didn't realize saying "the #" for a freeway was regional.

EDIT: Oh god, is this even regional within California?

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2021

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
SDGE rates are absolutely absurd after the latest rate hike. We have the highest rates in the country, higher than even Hawaii. If anything makes me start a revolution, it's legal monopolies squeezing their customers for everything they have.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The rest of the country: Prepare for a large winter storm, ice and snow everywhere! School is canceled, toilet paper is in limited supply.

California: Prepare for extended 80-90 degree weather.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I imagine the decision to means test here is because they don't want blowback from other marginalized groups. The justification given by panel members voting for not requiring ancestry was basically there is a lot of systemic racism that affects all African Americans (which is true), but that is also just as true of latinos in California, who wouldn't be getting any money from the state.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I guess it is time for California to officially codify abortion as a right since it seems like that is going away at a federal level.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

quarantinethepast posted:

it's like bolt down anything valuable because there's a tornado coming.
So true. That is exactly how it feels right now. And the more we get into the state constitution, the better, because I could see republicans trying to pass a federal ban on abortion (or gay marriage) next time they control everything if the protections are removed by the courts.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My only hope is that if a federal ban somehow gets passed that California will basically say nope, we’re still allowing them, make us stop.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Abortion tourism here we come.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Larry Parrish posted:

ive run into 2 people now evangelizing prop 31 and asking them how it stops people getting tobacco under age just gets me a blank stare even though that's what the entire campaign is supposedly organized around. someone told me that the perfidious tobacco companies market menthols to kids but i asked where the last place they saw a tobacco ad was and they just paused for like 5 seconds before moving on to the next talking point lol.

I'm not for 31, but the logic is pretty straightforward. Tobacco tastes like poo poo and is, at best, an acquired taste. That bad taste may pose a barrier to addiction for some. On the other hand, flavored nicotine products don't taste (as much) like poo poo, which removes that barrier. Removing that barrier may lead to more first-time users (e.g., kids) getting addicted in the end because it's easier to keep using the product.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Jaxyon posted:

not hipster enough, should have tallboy cans only

Is PBR even hipster anymore? Or is this just what 30 to 40-year-olds think is hipster because it was back in 2000-2010? Asking as an out-of-touch late-30s drinker of PBR.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I wish I could find Narragansett here because I used to love that when I was on the east coast.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

jokes posted:

Yep. Public Defenders > Prosecutors is the rule for all these judges, and also for everyone everywhere. DAs are just cops who can read.

:hmmyes:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Otoh, hyphy was fun.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hadlock posted:

Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months, that's about $30/hr @60 hrs/ wk or $23/hr @80 hrs a week which is honestly pretty fair given it's effectively a paid apprenticeship with a bunch of tax advantaged loans and other cost of living discounts and programs

No science lab lets you have any of the breaks off lol. It's a full-time job. Only the humanities, who get their money from teaching, rather than lab work, get the summer/winter breaks off. But even when not teaching you're supposed to be writing full-time.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The degree is usually separate from the work. TA/grading work has nothing to do with the degree or the student's own research. Same with work as a lab assistant helping a professor do their publications. It is possible to get a PhD without doing either of those things, but it's expensive.

Lol if you think grad students are "helping a professor do their publications". Grad students do all the work, write the papers, and the professors "advise" them. The only time a professor actually writes a paper is when they do a review and even then most outsource a lot of it to their grad students and postdocs. The actual job of professors in the sciences is writing grants, but those aren't published per se, just submitted to the review board.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Highbrow Slick posted:

Just poppin in to say my estimated PG&E bill for this cycle (beginning July 11th) is $763 for a 1250 sq ft condo got drat this poo poo sucks. We keep our thermostat at 78 but bumped it up tonight to 84.

Yeah, same here. We got our mid-cycle update and it was already at like $350 halfway through the month (so looking at like $700+ for the month). Also a 1200 sq ft condo/townhouse thing with single pane and an inefficient AC from the 1990s but we rent so there is nothing we can do about it other than move and the rental market is a madmax hellscape. The crazy thing is that where we are the temps have only been around 90, so it's pretty outrageous that our bill is so high. gently caress SDGE.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
SDGE is $0.45 per kWh until 130% of baseline (406 kWh), then $0.57 per kWh. It is extortionate.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Congratulations to the group of adventurers who successfully found and destroyed her phylactery. I hope you got a ton of XP from the final boss fight

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

mikeycp posted:

Lmao he also vetoed insulin price caps

He's actually the worst wtf

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

big black turnout posted:

Cursive is a massive waste of school time and resources and you should be embarrassed if you're boomer brained enough to think it isn't. Hopefully that's dropped before my kids are old enough to be affected

Yes! Cursive is so useless that it is completely mind-boggling that old people decided it needed to come back. There is literally no value to it and the posted article raises literally zero valid points in favor of bringing it back as a universal requirement. Its only purpose was to speed up handwriting in a world where typing didn't exist. You don't need faster handwriting in any context anymore.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 19, 2023

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

mikeycp posted:

i never have to use math besides basic addition and recognizing numbers, but i had to take 12 years of it.

why are we even still teaching it

:thunk:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Vegetable posted:

I think cursive is a pretty useless skill, but it’s better not to pretend you’re an education expert. These decisions should be left to civil servants. American schools are overdemocratized. poo poo like school boards and loud parents — even well-meaning, progressive ones — get in the way of experts doing what they do best. Even if the educators occasionally gently caress up it’s still better than letting the public decide what students should be taught. Nowhere else in the world are parents so influential over what gets taught.

Letting civil servants make decisions is how you end up with absolutely wrong-headed curriculum decisions like California continuing to use the whole language approach instead of phonics even after it has been discredited and the original proponent fired from columbia.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Vegetable posted:

It would be easier to engage in this discussion if your source isn’t an incoherent rant by a right-wing think tank in a tabloid newspaper.

Sorry, it was just the first google result that I threw in at the last second so that people didn't think I was making it all up. There is a lot of data on this though.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Since we’re sharing anecdotes about cursive as evidence for this decision being good, here is mine to the contrary. I learned it in grade school and then never used it once my entire life after getting into high school. Every assignment I did had to be turned in typed in hs, undergrad, and grad school. In class exams specifically asked you not to use cursive because graders found it hard to read.

As an adult, all my messages to others are via my phone or laptop. I do write notes to myself by hand but I do it in print and have never noticed any issue with doing them that way.

I don’t feel like I’m living some sort of unique existence given that the current moral panics are about kids being on their phones too much. Typing is the future, cursive is the past, except in niche circumstances. In those cases people can learn it as an adult like the people here did. I just don’t see how this change can be construed as a step forward in any way. It’s a pure conservative desire to return to the past.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Jaxyon posted:

Political ads going hard on Katie Porter, who did she piss off?

She's the next most viable candidate, as much as I like Barbara Lee, so Schiff doesn't want to face her one-on-one. Also, she's anti-corporate and probably, following Warren, anti-crypto so she'll have a lot of PACs gunning for her regardless.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Too many dead kids. Good luck against the even worse ghouls though.

If that's your deciding issue, then, yeah, Schiff is way worse than Porter and I'm sure Garvey is a nightmare.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
To say the quiet part out loud, refusing to vote for the lesser evil gave us Trump in 2016. I hated that poo poo and it really galvanized me to suck it up and vote for whoever I perceive to be the lesser of two evils. Maybe other people around these parts didn't take the same lesson from 2016, so ymmv, but I highly recommend voting for whichever candidate in contention you think sucks less.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

SlimGoodbody posted:

rather than to the allow the dreaded Republicans to do it, for reasons of reply hazy, try again

Because the Republicans do all that and more? They pass tax cuts for the rich, they cut social programs for the poor, and they stack the courts with revisionist shitheads that rule however they feel. I don't think the reasons are very hazy.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

drk posted:

I'm glad to see the guy who wrote the crazy unhinged rant in his candidate statement for senator is in dead last place. He's currently on track to win like 10,000 votes though, which you really have to wonder who these voters are.

Seems too early to call the Senate race (14% reporting right now), but so far it looks like Schiff and Garvey will go to the general, with Porter and Lee both trailing pretty far back. No big surprise there.

edit: actually AP has newer numbers than the SOS page, and is calling Schiff one of the two winners

I don't understand who all these people are that want Schiff. I haven't met any of them, but I guess I'm just in a bubble. Like I knew he was gonna win by a lot, but I don't really understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
medi-cal for all, please