Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Ro Khanna is actually really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I remember him being billed as a “business friendly” technocrat during the campaign, but I gotta give him props on Yemen and Saudi Arabia

I was skeptical of Ro Khanna at first because he ousted Mike Honda, who was a solidly liberal congressman, but he's gained my support within the last year.

Khanna supports some really progressive legislation like John Conyer's HR 676 Medicare For All Bill as well as the Social Security 2100 Act, which would expand Social Security benefits rather than cut them. Ro Khanna recently introduced a bill titled the Corporate Responsibility and Taxpayer Protection Act of 2017, which taxes large corporations who do not pay their employees a living wage. I also admire that he did the right thing and endorsed Kevin de Leon over Dianne Feinstein for the 2018 Senate race.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Prop 13 is never going anywhere, even after the last boomer draws their last breath. I’m set to inherit a dinky two bedroom ranch home in Menlo Park worth nearly a million dollars and so are many of my friends. We need that equity for when we get screwed out of social security.

I don't know about that dude. I don't see homeownership in California rising anytime in the near future.

Bodhidharma fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 27, 2018

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Newsom is the likely next governor and he's apparently been very pro single payer. Are any of the other candidates?

We have a larger economy than the UK. If they can do single payer we can

Delaine Eastin supports single-payer, but hasn't been as vocal as Newsom on the issue.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

silence_kit posted:

These things seem to me to be not that related to the merits of the California State Government--what am I missing here?

Public colleges in California were tuition-free until Reagan became governor.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

predicto posted:

There are something like 20 flags around the square, all flags that flew over US territory at some time. There’s the Lone star Texas flag, and the Don’t tread on Me snake flag, and a California Bear Republic flag, and a bunch of others. Back then the Confederate flag was one of them.

Here’s a list of the ones there now.

https://parkerhiggins.net/2013/09/the-flags-of-san-franciscos-civic-center-plaza/

And the assertion that Feinstein was trying to curry favor with Dixiecrats appears to be the opinion of one writer for the Spartacist Youth League. It might be true, but I suspect she was just got pissed that someone showed her up and wouldn’t let it go. Shes kind of vindictive once she gets challenged - just ask the Mitchell Brothers.

That still doesn't change the fact that the Confederate flag is hateful and treasonous.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Governor Brown signed SB 822 into law today.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-net-neutrality-california-signed-governor-jerry-brown-20180930-story.html

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

filthy regex posted:

Is the thread completely backing Lara for Commissioner of Insurance, or does Poizner actually have support in here? I'm having trouble reconciling that literally every newspaper I look at endorses Poizner.

Poizner was registered as a Republican until he decided to run for Insurance Commissioner. I think the choice is pretty clear-cut.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like Tony Thurmond currently has a slight lead over noted corporate charter school shill Marshall Tuck. I hope Thurmond is able to edge out a victory.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Sydin posted:

I've probably asked this before but what authority does the state legislature have, if any, to overturn ballot props? Could the dems actually chip away at Prop 13 on their own, or does it have to be another ballot prop? Because if they can do anything I will start badgering my state reps for it.

Only the courts or a another proposition will be able to amend Prop 13.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Cicero posted:

This used to be a real thing right?

Lake Tulare used to be the largest lake west of the Mississippi before ag and water districts drained it entirely.

Now, the largest lake in California is the Salton Sea :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Having somewhat recently moved to California, I have to say the ratio of people here that act like they’re the only ones in the world seems way out of wack compared to everywhere else I’ve lived. It’s really odd.

Which part of California did you move to? I don't believe this is the case throughout the entire state.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone know anything about Tim Grayson or Mike Thompson? Alternatively, how are you guys usually looking up information about candidates?

Couragescore.org is a pretty good entry-level resource for current incumbents at the state level. I wouldn't use the website as an end-all-be-all, but it keeps a good record of many important bill votes.

https://www.couragescore.org/people/timothy-grayson/

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Barbara Lee would make a really great Senator, but I doubt she will run for the office.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Tree of Amalion posted:

So I heard this week from a high school student I mentor that her school (in LAUSD) is opening on May 15th. I've been looking to see if this is the case, but my news finding ability is weak and I couldn't find any current news about LAUSD schools. Anyone in this thread know what the deal is? I couldn't believe that the schools would actually be opening again.

I know that LA County's Safer At Home order is currently in place until the 15th, so it is possible that she is conflating that with reopening LAUSD.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Still Dismal posted:

Now that the OC is increasingly no longer uniformly terrible I need to find a new region to hate. I’m thinking Bakersfield.

There are still plenty of places in California to dunk on. I would go with the State of Jefferson area or any of the enclaves where the wealthy segregate themselves to like Palos Verdes Estates.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know why anyone would think that Plumpjack is a good name for a company.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

It would be really cool if Barbara Lee became Senator, but I'm doubtful it would happen.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

I agree. I always feel like entrenching racial classifications into systems only serves to further the development of racialized systems.

It's especially problematic when you start to consider how those categories are so flawed or oversimplified to begin with. There are similar problems with gender. By baking in a discrete set of binary options for a reality that's much more complicated, you end up with whole buildings and programs that cater only to those options and disenfranchise the rest.

I think the better systems look a bit more like the Texas admissions process (flat automatic acceptance of students in the top 10% of each Texas high school.) Which achieve affirmative action goals without further entrenching socially constructed racial hierarchies and categories into decision-making.

The University of Texas uses race as a factor in their admissions process for students who don't score within the top 10% of their class. This came after a series of "race-neutral" admissions changes scrapping affirmative action led to sharp enrollment decreases for minority students (African American enrollment dropped by 40% and Hispanic enrollment dropped by 5%). Without factoring race, student enrollment in UT schools under the top 10% admissions policy remained stagnant or worsened in some cases until race was included as part of a holistic review process.

Bodhidharma fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2020

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Pervis posted:

I think we were still under the 2/3 rules for tax increases that the Reagan/Prop 13 era left us with, so funding cuts and car registration fees were the only thing that could pass.

I just wanted to add a minor correction. We still have the 2/3rds rule in place to increase any new taxes due to Prop 13, so the state is signifcantly kneecapped when it comes to raising new revenue.

The 2/3rds vote rule from Prop 13 to pass a budget was in effect back then though. This made the whole process of passing a budget a huge pain in the rear end on top of the inability to raise taxes.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not personally against a strong mayor system, but it's clear that Measure A is a power grab by Darrell Steinberg. He's also putting in other good things in the measure to make it look better than it actually is.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Prop 25:

Opposed by: Pretty much every group that works on justice reform and has spend years or decades trying to end cash bail.

Supported by: People who have heard cash bail is bad and who's engagement with the subject will begin and likely end with voting on this prop

Supported by: https://yesoncaprop25.com/bail_reform_supporters

Opposed by: https://stopprop25.com/coalition-members-2/

It's pretty clear to me that the endorsements on the Stop Prop 25's website aren't opposed to it due to their commitment to criminal justice reform.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Yep, noted shill and former Black Panther activist Barbara Lee falls into this category. 100%.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

I found a good article that outlines some of the strongest arguments in favor and in opposition to Prop 25. A lot of this has been echoed in the thread already, but it's still a good read.

One issue that I haven't seen brought up with voting no on Prop 25 is that it would constitutionally prohibit the legislature from passing similar legislation, so it could make passing the elimination of bail much more difficult.

https://www.courthousenews.com/the-strange-bedfellows-of-proposition-25-and-californias-fight-to-end-cash-bail/

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Campa Najjar is a piece of poo poo who has shown at this point that he is willing to say anything to get elected, but he would definitely be better than Darrell "I committed grand theft auto and burned down my business for insurance money" Issa. The really awful thing about Campa Najjar is that he seemed like he was actually pretty solidly progressive in 2018.

Here's some highlights from the interview with the white supremacist group:

During his interview with Haskins, Campa-Najjar said progressive proposals like Medicare For All and The Green New Deal are “plans that are s—- wall to wall.”

When asked, he also said he was open to the federal government investigating former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation.

Of former Vice President Joe Biden, Campa-Najjar said, “You think I will vote for Biden necessarily; I still want to see how they perform in the debates.”

“I don’t think all 22,000 members are White supremacists.... They have parts of them that are very worthy of condemnation, and my hope is this group grows out of that. And I want them to denounce that hate and truly do right by East County.”

lol, what a spineless prick:

In a video Campa-Najjar posted on Twitter Sunday night he apologized for appearing alongside Defend East County and said he understands he needs to give people a reason to trust him again.

“Despite my best intentions, I messed up, I messed up bad and I should have been stronger and I should have called this out more strongly,” Campa-Najjar said in the two minute video.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

My issue with Scott Wiener is that while I think he's better than most state senators in CA, he's too conservative and too bought out for San Francisco. The City could have someone who is more progressive or a real leftist representing that district.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

droll posted:

Why? That's not representative of pro capital neoliberal gently caress the poor San Francisco. That's why they elect neoliberals.

Yeah that's true that there's a large influential corporate neolib dem contingent in SF, but it's also the city that elects folks like Dean Preston to the Board of Supervisors and almost elected Jane Kim instead of Wiener in 2016. But on the other hand, people like London Breed exist :smith:

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

jetz0r posted:

On urinal cakes.

Yes. This is the perfect way to honor trickle down economics.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Here's another one:

https://twitter.com/hknightsf/status/1333903343182245889?s=20

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I got some good news yesterday. The park in Westchester I do outreach in was going to get swept on Monday and we were able to get it canceled! Mike Bonin's office has agreed to work with Street Watch again to create a cleaning system that doesn't gently caress over the unhoused living in the park! His office worked with one of our members in Venice on a new cleaning pilot program, the radical concept of just asking unhoused people what they want thrown away and then throwing that stuff away. Its a pretty small political victory, but I will be real I don't get many victories so I am happy. Next step will be trying to get the showers at the park made available.

That's awesome news!

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Two-thirds vote for override. They never do it, though.

Yeah, the last time the legislature overrode a veto occurred during Jerry Brown's first stint as Governor.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

I actually don't want chuds to leave the state because I think California can absorb them. What we really need is a new homestead act that would encourage a few million blue voters to move to the red states with small populations.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

buglord posted:

The republican favorite (which is leading the dem favorite last I checked) wants to replace Newsoms questionable covid response with something more along the lines of pretending covid doesn’t exist and rolling back the few safety mandates we have in place.

Given your personal experience, I wouldn’t blame you if you marked Yes on the ballot. And again someone can tell me if I’m wrong, but it looks like we’d be in a worse position covid-wise if the republican pick got elected. There’s no second round of voting, whoever gets the most votes on the second question becomes governor for a year if enough people vote Yes to the first question.

Good luck and vote where your heart points you to.

I would say that all of the alternatives with a chance of winning would put us in a worse position in regards to covid. Newsom's campaign and the CA Democratic Party pushed any Democrat with a prominent name to stay out of the recall election. I think the most ideal path going forward would be to support an actual progressive challenger for the next election in 2022.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Anyone who watched the movie Mank knows that they did the same suit vs Upton Sinclair. "If he gets elected the capital will leave"

Small business tyrants are now called "taxpayers". These idiots believe they are of like 5 total tax payers in the state.

I usually don't post this much. but I figured that I would share a cool old-timey video from the 1934 California Gubernatorial Election. A bunch of people are interviewed and give their thoughts on Sinclair as well as the two other major candidates. Hopefully the thread appreciates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIq9eIIAq4

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

confused posted:

I think he had a few big things going for him: 1. He obviously loves California and did the things he did because he thought it was the best thing for the state. 2. Since he's ineligible to run for POTUS and expressed no interest in running for anything else, he really didn't need to make purely political moves for a future campaign. For contrast, see Ron DeSantis. 3. While many of his policy views were minority positions in CA, he didn't try to pull any shenanigans to try to override the majority.

I think because of those things, while a lot of people had valid good faith disagreements on his policies, I don't think there were many instances where people didn't think he was being genuine.

I would say that the biggest shenanigans that Schwarzenegger did while he was office was veto hundreds of bills that were on his desk right before the deadline to act on them because his office couldn't review the bills in time.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

I'm curious if most of the state will actually adhere to the new mandate. Folks in Southern California outside of LA seem to not really give a poo poo about face coverings at this point.

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1470508377948123136

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

That's heartening, but it seems like every time I go out I see less and less people bothering. Maybe the new variant will panic people enough that that will change, but I'm not hopeful.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same about this. I noticed that there were pretty large regional differences with mask wearing from by experience too. I moved from Sacramento to San Diego in May and people from Sacramento took COVID-19 precautions much more seriously on average.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

The state has a large budget surplus, we have a federal administration with a Health and Human Services Secretary who has supported his support for single payer healthcare in the past, and we're still in a pandemic. If a universal healthcare system can't pass now in California, then we're hosed in the near-term future.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

Actually climate change is not a net benefit for California at all. Climate change means worsening wildfire conditions, rising sea levels which will make some communities uninhabitable and destroy infrastructure, and a more strained energy grid than we already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

quarantinethepast posted:

In a country where the federal government does gently caress all, state and local governments pick up the slack.

Yep, it would have been nice getting healthcare instead of this band-aid of a solution.