Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

redscare posted:

The whole state is failing, different regions are simply failing differently (e.g. economic collapse in the center vs affordability collapse on the coast).

You don't know what failing is. I think what you mean is actually "not living up to (unrealistically) high expectations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

silence_kit posted:

This is totally wrong. Do you think that standardized tests actually are quizzing students on Hollywood celebrity gossip trivia? To outright state, which you did, that standardized tests are totally meaningless and are only tests of test-taking ability is delusional.

The issue is honestly with the type I and type II errors that come into play with the test. Even if you assume that the test roughly "works" for gauging intelligence/ability (a contested assumption but whatever) then you need to ask the question "how well does it work?"

As someone who used to do SAT prep on the side for privileged white kids I can tell you that it doesn't work well. Many people take the test multiple times and then submit their highest scores (talk about cherry picking data points!) In addition, the margin of error for any given student (under an environment without multiple testing) can be 120 points or more. Once you include multiple tests it gets way worse. The college board itself uses examples of students that score as much as 220 points higher through multiple testing. I can tell you I've personally seen repeat testers score as high as 400-500 points more on subsequent tries. Now if all of the students were equally being effected by the statistical failings of the test you might be able to argue that there's no racial bias since both URMs and white kids are being mis-categorized equally, but white kids (average and excellent alike) are, as a group, much more likely to re-test until the dice roll in their favor.

Also, your nursing school anecdote has multiple possible explanations that have nothing to do with the test, many of which you yourself note. The people that school accepts: 1) Have lower grades and 2) Come from rural high schools. The school itself is also a low-tier school with a reputation that probably creates a self-selected pool of candidates that aren't as capable. There are probably a dozen other factors in there that contribute to that scenario. The SAT scores aren't the issue here. The other factors likely have much greater explanatory power.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Probably because poll workers, including the person running the station, get like 2-3 hours of training before election day.

I ran a polling station on the primary and this is more true than it should be. This is also why showing up at 7AM to be the first voter is generally a bad idea because we're still making sure we have the process correct/we're trying to put out fires. They tell you to show up at 6 AM in order to be open in time at 7. At my station we showed up the night before to set up and spent two hours setting up and the morning of we were still rushing like hell come 7:00 to get everything in place.

That being said, if you didn't have your vote by mail envelope and just had the ballot, you had to do a provisional. If you handed over both ballot and the envelope AND you were on the roster then you'd get a regular ballot.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 11, 2016

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tuxedo Gin posted:

When I ran a poling station a few years back I had to transport the stuff in my own vehicle.

I'll have you all know that I thoughtfully safeguarded our democracy this weekend by putting a blanket over the ballots in the back of my car before locking it and leaving it overnight in our parking spot.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Litany Unheard posted:

250k is barely enough to get by? Really? My parents raised three kids on a combined 80k a year in Monterey. How loving incompetent are you people with money?

And if the 2-3% of people making over 250k are barely scraping by, then how are the other 98% managing? Must be those big welfare checks you heard about from your friends at the country club.

clearly you're just reinforcing his belief that the well-to-do are the Most Maligned Class In America

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah. There's a real attitude out there that government funded labor is sometimes necessary but overall has a negative value to society. It drives a lot of the privatization thinking - to the point that even where it makes no sense on a cost basis to do so people are still for it because "private companies are value creators!" :hurr:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Inconvenience is a powerful force. Also the law will really shut down industry because sellers are incredibly risk averse when it comes to liability.

Just take a look at two different areas: magic mushroom spores in California and abortion restriction laws in Texas.

Neither sets of laws stop motivated individuals (and both create situations where those motivated individuals get thrown into the harms of black market purchases) but the aggregate result is a reduction in participation.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The only reason I listen to forum is so I can hear the guests (who are often legitimately good) answer from callers. Callers are usually incoherent of course, and Krasney is milquetoast as gently caress and boring - but since the whole program is like 2 hours you're guaranteed to get at least one nugget of decent discussion out of the whole ordeal.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Personally, I believe the system can and should be greatly improved. I think there should be a legal barrier to the sort of freewheeling marketing direct to doctors and hospitals and insurance companies that drug makers are allowed to do right now, and probably a barrier to advertising drugs to the public, too. Maybe drug companies shouldn't be allowed to do anything more than submit their clinical trial results to a national database of clinical therapies, to which every doctor would refer whenever deciding on a treatment for a patient. Maybe there should be a hard cap on drugs that treat life-threatening illness, and if a company can prove it would take a loss selling a specific drug for under that cap not including marketing costs, the government could subsidise the purchase of those specific drugs.

Not just marketing. There are a lot of direct payments made to doctors in what amount to broker fees for connecting clients with products. Those fees are essentially invisible to patients and they either affect care or cost or both in really pernicious ways.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oh hey, I wonder if that BART extension to San Jose, Los Angeles transit expansion, or HSR were depending on federal funds for completion, because that would make another little cherry on the poo poo sundae that was Tuesday night.

I dunno actually. I could see that being one area where Trump does something worthwhile. The dude spent his career in the large-construction-project industry and I imagine he'd love to shove as many lucrative mega-projects towards cronies as possible, with the side benefits of us actually getting something built (albiet expensively.)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

Snakes too, or so I've been led to believe.

A perfect flag in response to the gadsden

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I saw her give a post election speech to the sf chamber of commerce a few weeks ago - she seemed real old and a bit confused (on account of being old.).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

lol no, California's economy is stronger and getting stronger at a greater rate than loving Texas' min wage job explosion.

Anyway, stop talking about retarded poo poo like CalExit.

It's actually gonna melt down any day now and has already started to do so.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This entire talking point revolves around the paradox of tolerance, something that was brought up and settled over 50 years ago. A free society that values, tolerates and permits freedom of expression has to be intolerant of speech and activity that undermines that value.

Basically I disagree with you but I'll die for your right to be disagreeable only holds so long as that sentiment is reciprocal.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

If they can make it through the night they've got two days to figure something out: https://www.google.com/search?pws=0&q=weather+oroville

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

At the Barbara Lee town hall today she said that Californians should expect to have funding cut and be ready and willing to raise taxes to compensate

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Necroskowitz posted:

Watch out folks, Nigel is coming for us.

This is the only reasonable proposition I've seen around the Calexit discussion, but I don't want to engage in it because I know it's going to generate pages of useless hypothetical circle-jerking.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Calexit isn't going to happen

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yep, Clinton-voting liberal Democrats are rushing to stomp out the single-payer fire in favor of a "public option." John Burton told the California Nurses Association to "shut the gently caress up or go outside."

I can confirm this. I remember that my indivisible group co-ran an event with the moveon/organizing for action folks and their lead national organizer told me to go around the room confiscating california single-payer signs during our event (I didn't).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, it has nothing to do with "skill level" (as if your profession were a video game.). The floors and ceilings here have very little to do with how progressed you are down a mythical mastery tree.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eNcuGcPW4

It was just a nice little reminder of how garbage dog whistle racism gets dressed up in California by libertarians

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Saw Gavin Newsom speak recently - dude is a corporatist snake in a human skin suit. I really hope Chiang defeats him but it sounds like the tech companies really want to railroad Newsom into office. What was he like as mayor of SF?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I asked newsom if he though the state should assume the responsibility for ensuring a middle class quality of life for Californians if business won't do it and he was like "nope. Personal responsibility! That's the future so get used to it."

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Linking transportation funds with low income housing won't help the traffic problem, by the way, since it would divert funds otherwise spent on public transport.

That plan also assumes that NIMBY communities want transportation funds at all when in reality they want neither.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm about 20 minutes into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9623QQ6j8

Sirens started going off in my head when he was asked about automation and the gig economy, he started talking about how much he loves entrepreneurs.

Yeah, it's definitely moving into election season, expect new speech circuit videos every few weeks for the rest of the year. He had this one come out a few weeks ago. He's a big work-requirements-being-tied-to-benefits kinda guy. Also he doesn't like mincome unless it's in the context of eliminating all other government assistance programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnccrPuc6iU

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 11, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Nunes isn’t going anywhere, Tulare County is red as gently caress and his district manages to miss most of Fresno so it’s entirely suburban & rural.

That being said, I found out from a family member the other day that the Long Island district where she lives, which is one of the reddest voting areas in New York, recently voted in a democratic supervisor (for this first time in 30+ years).

So hey, anything's possible now? :shrug:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

Illegal immigrants' presence in our communities is the fruit of a crime.

You've said this like 6 times and it's actually not true. There are a dozen or more different types of cases for people that don't have documentation (other posters have mentioned some.) Undocumented people are not "illegal". That term doesn't even have a well understood legal meaning.

Also, "fruit of a crime"? Really? What is this, the old testament? That's another concept with no meaning, it just sounds flowery and dramatic.

What was the crime? What was the benefit? Was harm inflicted? What is the punishment? Is it reasonable in relation to the severity of the crime? Even if it's reasonable, is it cruel and unusual? How long ago was the crime committed? Are there specific details that matter?

These are all questions that matter and that you don't seem give a poo poo about.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

jeeves posted:

1. seconding, thirding, and fourthing, the gently caress FEINSTEIN thing.

2. Having conservatives flee to deep red states would be great if we lived in a country with real voting. We don't. Those people get way more voting power by moving to a place like that than they ever should. For example, the House not properly being representative and the senate having an absurd amount of power for just two people per state regardless of size. For second example: Senator Feinstein. gently caress Feinstein.

Reminder that feinstein flew the confederate flag over San Francisco in the 80's, prompting an American hero to climb up and take it down for her.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 1, 2018

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

gently caress that prop 13 bullshit. I fully expect it to pass as well, which is twice as infuriating.

Here's a less infuriating comedy ballot intiative that won't pass

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1006704607769255941

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 13, 2018

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1015423379065761792

Stay cool So-Cal goons

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeirDrinWk

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I predict they just fudge the numbers by moving poo poo off of the California books and giving the ugliest, most pollutiest crap to the federal government to manage.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm voting in my sheriff election because the department sent me an email begging me to vote for one of the candidates. So I'm gonna vote for the other, because gently caress cops.

This was how I used https://judgevoterguide.com/ when trying to find information on the judges in my area. There was almost no information, so I just went the opposite way and voted for all of the :spooky:judicial activists :spooky:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

From the Trump thread.

I really hope Prop 8 passes. gently caress these ghouls for holding people hostage over their profit margins.

Whether it passes or not it's a good thing for the SEIU because they essentially punished the baddies for not negotiating with them

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Maybe the only good part of the entire bay area being smothered in toxic ash and smoke for days on end is that this combined with smothering ash also falling all over Sacramento combined with the recent historical memory of a bunch of rich fucks getting torched in the north bay last year combined with a sudden and surprising legislative supermajority in the state legislature will result in...something?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

^^^hooray!

In other gently caress you news:

quote:

As California employers know, employees in California are entitled to a 30-minute off-duty meal break for shifts greater than five hours, and a second 30-minute meal break for shifts over 10 hours. In addition, employees are entitled to a 10-minute off-duty rest break for every four hours worked or major fraction thereof.

The PHMSA concluded that California’s meal and rest break requirements conflict with the federal laws governing drivers transporting hazardous materials.

Just lol. Can't wait to die in a toxic chemical fire

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

People get mad about DMV not because there are lines, but because a lot of the time you get dicked around unnecessarily. You stood in the wrong line, someone told you to do the wrong form, you can't get an appointment, etc. etc. And the reason that happens is because of bad training, understaffing, bad/broken software systems, overcrowding, and the inability of DMV employees to suffer their awful jobs for years on end without becoming angry, lazy, bossy, semi-comatose, or developing some other obvious psychological affliction from the trauma.

In other words, the place is underfunded.

That was my experience when I went to register a car I bought out of state a couple months ago. On my first visit it was the week of the fires and I waited inside for about 3 hours until I saw a guy who looked over all of my paperwork, applied $300 in fines to my registration and then told me he couldn't finish the process because nobody was leaving the building to do VIN checks on account of the smoke, but that I could pay.

Like...could you have told me that at the front before you gave me a number and saw I was there for a registration? geeze? When I returned though, I got a very nice lady who looked through my paperwork, applied none of the fines but said I had a signature missing (which the first person said nothing about.) I opted to pay that time because hey, lock-in the re-roll.

Third time, it was just the normal wait to hand over the paperwork.

Writing this, I also just realized they said they'd send me a new title...but I've yet to get one in the mail a month later. Fuuuuck.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FMguru posted:

Could it be?!?!
Removing Prop13 protections from commercial real estate is long, long, long overdue.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/08/california-to-vote-on-partial-repeal-of-sweeping-tax-law.html

be still my beating heart

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

Does San Francisco have unused facilities that could become housing for the homeless?

After the 1906 earthquake, tents and shacks sprung up in vast encampments around the city, including at Golden Gate Park where 40,000 found refuge. Soldiers lived in barracks built directly in front of City Hall in Civic Center Plaza during World War II. And 300 people slept aboard the USS Peleliu, a now-decommissioned aircraft carrier docked near the Bay Bridge following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

The retired Navy ship and its 5,000 bunks could “temporarily house most, if not all, of San Francisco’s homeless living in tents on the streets while permanent housing is built,” suggested former Mayor Art Agnos in a September 2016 opinion piece for the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/9/10/17824724/housing-homeless-san-francisco-barracks-ships-temporary-shelter

I was thinking about this exact item this morning when I saw there were two cruise ships docked in SF. Then I remembered that consolidating a giant mass of homeless folks in one area is bad for everyone and shouldn't ever be the solution adopted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So her response to a well-informed teacher and her well-informed students confronting her was to introduce legislation calling them ignorant. cool senator.