Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
There should be laws against doing that to your cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

I actually understand how marginal tax rates work so I know this isn't actually true!

Some dude at work did a really advanced looking excel sheet that he printed out and put on notice boards all over that showed exactly how much overtime you could work before you started losing money...

loving marginal tax, how does it work?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Taking this here instead of derailing DrPains shop thread.

You Am I posted:

One of dad's friends was a huge Lanz Bulldog collector. The story about the friend losing control of a Lanz on a major road in South Australia, because the engine would not stop and he became a passenger was hilarious

There's a story in the family about great grandpa and how he lost his finger. This would have been in the mid-late forties, and the tractor a Bolinder-Munktell hot bulb two-stroke. A wagon full of hay was on the hitch, great grandpa driving and grandma (about 7-8 years old at the time) sitting next to him on one of the rear fenders. When going up a particularly steep hill, the engine suddenly stopped. The brakes on this particular BM wasn't the most impressive ones and as the tractor started rolling backwards, grandpa accidently let out the clutch which led to the engine bump-starting *backwards*. As they started picking up speed, going backwards downhill, grandma bailed and while doing so accidently turned the steering wheel, sending the wagon and tractor off the road, into the ditch. As the wagon went off the road, it rolled over, taking the tractor with it. Grandpa almost got out unharmed, except for the tractor landing on his middle finger, immediately severing it above the first knuckle.

Grandpa borrowed a bicycle from a nearby house, cycling the 5 km to the village nurse with a severed finger.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
loving hell, y'all. Thanks for making me feel better about my life, I guess?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sooo... M60B30 in E30, bad idea or best idea?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Why would you go with a M60B30 over a M60B40 unless you're getting the drivetrain for free or something

e: I mean the block is physically the same size and weight and poo poo, they get about the same gas mileage as the 4 liter, the only thing you're getting is about 70 less HP, in which case just swap over a M52, with cams and exhaust and a chip they'll make the same power

Has to do with Swedish rules on modified vehicles. A B40 would give a higher power:weight ratio, and also a larger increase in power over stock. If I built with a B30 in a 325, I could probably get away with just changing engine and gearbox and then do an extended re-register inspection to make it street legal, as opposed to using a B40 where I'd probably be required to change out brakes and suspension as well as bolting in ballast weights to get the power:weight ratio within acceptable limits.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Good idea, but I think I'd rather keep the inline 6. Simpler, same amount of power.

Yeah well, the idea started out more like "V8 in E30 LOL" with a friend of mine, so... :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Sooo... M60B30 in E30, bad idea or best idea?

In my pursuit of a good car to start off this idea, I discovered that Chris Harris pays too much for E30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVF7Q_IwoWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3OwX23g30

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Obligatory "that's one big book LOL" joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Best hot sauce; Sambal oelek.

• Locked thread