Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I love seattle, but this city is getting insane. How is it that in such a dog friendly city(you can take your dogs into almost any store, pretty much all condo/apartments take dogs) I can not find a loving house that will let me rent it because of my ridiculous little wiener dog? I was hoping to not have to move to another rental house before I finally buy something, but my landlord wont extend my lease since she needs to move back into the house so I have to move. The rental market is just down right insane right now too. Tiny run down 2 bedroom house in north seattle? $2.5k a month and no dogs. Hell I can deal with paying over $2k a month for a house, but since I have a dog I can't find a place.

Luckily I have till the end of june to move, so hopefully I will find something decent that has a garage. If not I will have to figure out something for my celica. And I need to actually sell my e30. I just picked up a fender and hood to replace the ones on it that are hosed up. Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Come on up to lynnwood! We have...um...a mall? and garages for most houses

i feel you on the dog thing, its even worse if you have a dog over 60-75lbs like we do.

We live in shoreline right now and are trying to get back to greenwood/ballard. The commute to downtown is bad enough now that it usually takes me 45 minutes to get to the office and my house is ~10 miles away, I don't think I could deal with living farther north. And now that my girlfriend is done with school, she works in belltown. I just wish we could stay in this house for another 6 months so we could buy our own place.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

For some reason I thought you were in west seattle. I'd love to live in ballard but housing prices are bullshit in Seattle.

There is someone else in west seattle(mat_drinks?). I honestly would not mind moving to west seattle, but there is no way I could convince the gf to move there. I grew up in ballard with a dad who worked in the fishing industry and I still can't get over how much the area has changed. As much as I would love to buy a house in ballard, I don't think its going to happen, so we are looking more in the greenwood/broadview area where its somewhat affordable.

Every time I spot a decently priced house for rent that I would be all over, they don't allow pets. I can understand people not wanting dogs in their rental houses if they are destructive, but they don't even give anyone a chance. My dog has never chewed on anything she wasn't supposed to, doesn't dig in the yard or anything like that. I am half tempted to register* her as a service dog because then she would be no longer considered a pet and people could not legally not rent to us because of her. I know that they would find another reason to not rent to us but its starting to drive me insane

* The laws in washington for having a service dog are stupidly lax

quote:

Q. What about any “no pets” policies?

Legally, a service animal is not a pet. You are required to modify your “no pets” policy to allow the use of a service animal by an individual with a disability. A “no pets” policy may be continued, but you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

Even better is this part

quote:

Q. How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

There are no legal requirements for service animals to be specially identified. Some, but not all, service animals, wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or “certified” and/or have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. A public entity cannot require any proof of a person’s disability, or identification or certification of the service animal’s status.

A housing provider may ask for a health care professional’s statement that an individual is a person with a disability and will be assisted by a service animal. A housing provider may not ask for details or the nature of an individual’s disability.

So there is no actual certification, and its illegal to ask someone what their actual disability is. All you have to say is "This is a service animal that I need because I have a disability."

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Magic Underwear posted:

Did you not even read the second paragraph? It says right there a housing provider can require a doctor's note. That may or may not be easy to get but it isn't the same as just bluffing it.

Yea, I did see that just forgot to mention it. The easiest way to deal with that is you just have a note that you have anxiety issues(which both my gf and I have) and then you have a service animal that helps keep your anxiety in check. It also says that the note only has to say that you have a disability that a service animal might help.

Don't get me wrong, I would never do this. I was mainly posting all of that because I was amazed how lax all the rules were. The last thing I want to do is have a landlord who hates me from the get go and I am very against abusing rules like this, it just makes it harder on the people with actual service dogs that they need.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

I had to move to Edmonds when I finally decided to buy a house, West Seattle was out because I work in Ballard and I didn't want to risk the viaduct clusterfuck ruining my commute. Ballard is so different now I'm not sure I really would want to move back even if I had the means

I don't really like what ballard has become either, that is one of the reasons we would rather live in greenwood. Doesn't hurt that most of our friends live there as well.

I honestly really like edmonds and would move there if it wasn't for the commute. Its not as bad for me because I can work from home and make my own hours, but the gf does not have that luxury.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ferremit posted:

My Dachshund decided to get into the "Powercord eating Phase" for a while. After he bit into the power cord for my macbook pro (the low voltage side fortunately) and got a tooth to link the inner core and outer conductora and ate a 19v shock through the jaw.

Didnt touch a power cord again.

As terrible as my dachshund can be, I am so glad that she does not chew on anything except her toys. Hell she doesn't even dig with encouragement. I think I got a broken dog, she just wants to sleep on your lap.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Go barefoot or wear shoes, sandals are pretty poo poo for driving.

Srsly, I never even thought of trying to drive with sandals on, especially not flip flops. I just kick them off when I get in the car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

You Am I posted:

I am surprised you lot are happy to drive barefoot or in thongs (flip flops). I can't think of anything worse. Always wear shoes while driving.

I don't mind driving barefoot. I started when we would autox my dads old lotus 7 clone, since the pedal box was so small I could not drive with shoes on.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

T1g4h posted:

Oh god I hope not. I really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing that, especially after sinking $100 on the new rad :sigh:

Oh wow they're under $15. Huh. Alright, not such a huge deal then. Might as well replace that Thursday just to be safe. AI, I do so love your advice :h:

Easiest way to check, does your heater work? If it just barely blows warm air after driving for a while, prolly have a thermostat that is stuck open.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

Renting in my town sucks. 99% of it is student garbage and every 6-12 months, when an affordable, reasonable quality home comes up, it's a shitstorm of 150 applicants and it's off the market in 30 minutes. I'm top of the list for one now, but they want a year lease and I might be getting a part or full time job offer in a different city the next few months. My current place sucks balls and my landlady wants to move back in soon, so I need to find a good situation soon, but the liability of a lease is huge.

I am dealing with the exact same bullshit right now, except for the fact that there are plenty of nice houses around if you want to pay $3k+ a month for rent. I keep seeing the same people at all of house showings I go to, and they all keep showing up before their appointments. Nothing better than setting a specific time with a realtor and having 3 other couples show up early and monopolize the realtors time and then leave before me so they can get their application in first. At least I think we beat them to the punch yesterday and should have a house secured, just waiting for the realtor to get back to me with the final decision. More rent than I would like to be paying, but at least we like the house and location.

Worst part is there is no garage, and I have no idea wtf I am going to do with my celica.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

I would offer storage space but I'll probably be having to find a new place to live in 6 months and will be in the same boat wrt Celica storage.

Thanks, but something tells me the shipping from seattle to where ever you live would make it not the best move.

The house has 1 off street parking spot, but I am concerned about pissing off the neighbors/realtor by parking it there. The lot next door was split into 2 semi townhouse things, so the house I will probably be renting and both those houses share a driveway, so the car would be kinda right out in the open. I am probably going to do it anyway, and just get a car cover for it. Worst case some friends rent a house nearby that has big fenced in parking lot, so I can prolly pay them to let me park it there.

I think I have a buyer for my e30, thanks to my brother. I really just need to bite the bullet and sell the celica. There are a couple nice AW11's on CL that I would rather have and sink money into.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

if anything you should dump the celica and keep the 318 for fun.

Honestly I have thought about it. I have all the parts to fix the body damage, the clutch is pretty much near, the tires are new but the suspension is pretty worn. Some new struts/springs/bushings and it would be pretty well setup, but then I would start thinking of motor swaps.

What it really comes down to is I just want another aw11, I know its not the best car ever but I love them too much. After my last 2 aw11's were totaled I went got a different car that is well regarded. First was my 91 miata, which was a great little car but I ended up getting a killer deal on a aw11 and I never drove the miata again. Even on nice sunny days, I was out in my black on black mr2 dying in the heat while my white miata just sat in the garage since I would rather drive the mr2. When that one got totaled I ended up getting the e30, which I really did enjoy and was amazed how nice it was to have back doors on a car after driving 2 seaters for so long. Now that we have a JSW, having a sedan fun car doesn't do me any good since the wagon is way more practical, so I might as well buy another 2 seater.

I have been tossing around the idea of buying a s2000, but I don't like the attention they get from cops/other drivers. After driving the girlfriends dad's e36 m3('98? low miles ultra violet with vaders that he is making perfect), I started thinking about buying one but again they get more attention than I like. Also have been thinking about first gen rx7's since I have always loved how they look, but rotarys scare me. Or maybe a sw20 mr2 or mr2 spyder. Or maybe another miata, mine was dead stock/worn out so that might have tarnished my thoughts on it since it was being compared to nicely upgraded aw11. To many cars that I would like to have.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Two words: track car

Anyway, hit me up if you are thinking of selling the celica my buddy who owns a jdm ST185 might be interested.

I have thought about the track car idea, just don't really have the time to sink into something like that. Esp without a garage at the new house.

Are you on the facebook group? If so find me on there, my name is damian.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I am not (yet?)

well then just email me

damiancurry at gmail

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

SVN is kinda archaic compared to git from what I hear, but I'm used to it. And at least it isn't SCCS, CVS, or worse, Visual SourceSafe.

I think what it really comes down to is all revision management software sucks, git just seems to be the least lovely. That might be because its relatively new so you are not dealing with the 20 year old legacy SVN setup.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would look so strange but I guess that is one option.

Fixed that for you...34 years old. I have no idea but likely not as reliable as the VW. Honestly it's going up for sale this afternoon once I put the interior back together. Fun car but I'd rather have the cash.

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ferremit posted:

Anyone know how to deal with egg stealing crows? Ive got a couple that are stealing my chicken eggs every morning and have started to pinch the wiper blades off the cars. They've worked out that anything long and straight is bad juju after I blew up a few of their mates with rifles/shotguns so now they just fly behind things to valuable to shoot whenever they see you (Cars, water tanks, the house...) so Im kinda out of ideas that dont involve nasty poisons.

Don't gently caress with crows, because they recognize your face and tell other crows to gently caress with you.

Seriously, crows are way to smart and evil.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Eh, that's kinda true with the local DMV. At least, it's the difference between a 30 minute wait and a 3 hour wait.

Do you have to get the emissions test done by the end of the month? End of the month usually seems to be the most insane time, so if you can I would say wait a week or 2 then show up close to 8am on a saturday.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

WTF happened, I go away for a day and there's 150 replies of hot sauce, women stuff and cats. You guys are wrong, cats are bad. Dogs are better :colbert:

I'm at my parents place for a few days so expect dog pictures. One just had puppies. This dummy hasn't left my side since I got home but that's likely due to food.

Some of those photos may even be focused and not entirely poo poo. Guess the cheap phone is cheap because the camera is junk.

Bernese Mountain dogs are the best. We had one growing up that lived to be almost 13. My next dog is either going to be a bernese or a newfie.

On the hot stuff talk, we did this a couple weeks ago

~125 hot wings at Kings Hardware in ballard(monday is 27 cent wings). Apparently it was the most anyone had ordered at one time. It was amazing and I hated myself shortly after finishing them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I had no idea they had a cheap wing night, that looks so good.

Surprisingly good wings actually, better than wingdome as far as we are concerned. We are usually there most mondays, let me know if you plan on stopping by sometime.

• Locked thread