Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

Halal doesn't bother me, really. When it comes to buying meat most of the time, you're buying meat that's been unethically treated anyway (either through battery farming or non-stunned killing).

Don't you worry about the magic turning you Muslim? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I guess these are those "alarming noises" they were talking about?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Saw one of those big UKIP billboards on the way back from the takeaway last night, and it chilled me a bit to realise I hadn't really thought of them as real until right then. Seeing something I can only interpret as deep parody posted earnestly in real life rather than on the internet is unsettling.

Also the beeb did one of their stupid opinion spots the other day, asking people (mainly commuters it seemed like) on a ferry to France "have you had enough of the EU". For some stupid loving reason they decided to show a majority answering yes.

:ughh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's possible that the "stupid reason" was that a majority of the respondents did in fact say yes.

That would also be stupid, because the people they quizzed are some of the ones benefiting most tangibly from EU membership.

I phrased it that way because I don't trust the BBC as far as I could throw them when it comes to "fair and balanced", and also because I want to retain my faith in humanity :cripes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

"We don't want to make inroads into the core of the estate," he said.

"And we don't want to have to evict tenanted farmers and other tenants and what have you from their houses so we can sell them."

I won't bother making a bet that whoever buys the place will do exactly that in order to turn a quick profit; nobody here would take it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

The French spend more than anyone, though. Their system is about getting the absolute best care possible as opposed to ours, which is high-functioning high-efficiency. Was, anyway.

Efficiency is defined as output divided by input. If government input to health care is zero, public sector efficiency is automatically infinite! :buddy:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

tentish klown posted:

Yeah so gently caress the Spectator and James Delingpole

"The Gilded Generation", i.e. everything looks great on the surface but any kind of closer inspection reveals that things are actually poo poo. A Good Headline

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm not surprised in the least, but loving hell :laffo:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

big scary monsters posted:

Regular exercise, people you love, a hobby you enjoy and eating properly.

Additionally, drink.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

e/ I was going to use one of these, but then I remembered somebody mentioned Batman and UKIP in the same breath a couple of pages ago, so :v:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 9, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The one near where I live has got me stumped for witty comebacks:

It's just so completely wrong :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

twoot posted:

Britain First Political Election Broadcast 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDKaUiYKVk

:magical:

I love how the "we" in "we are a minority" is a) white British only and b) only a shade less than 50%. Also the whole bit with "here are some quotes from GADDAFI, WELL KNOWN TYRANT AND SPEAKER FOR MOSLEMS". Great stuff.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even if you're absolutely on board with the European Ideal, the actual European Union is bloated, massively corrupt, and generally about the worst possible way of implementing that ideal.

But would you agree that getting out right now is not likely to do anything to fix this or help the UK in the short term?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Look, do you want a job or not? You can't complain about losing out to foreign workers if you're not willing to make yourself competitive by abandoning the right to higher pay, you know? Really, it's always something with you working types :wotwot:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Antti posted:

Okay, I got to "pay for a shotgun" before I realized it's a joke.

... please tell me it's a joke.

They are all lies, much like UKIP's genuine election propaganda.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DesperateDan posted:

Ugh, I'm really trying to wean myself off any judgement of a person based on their appearance.

But when every one of those kids showed up, I thought "this is your loving master race right here? this is your loving perfect aryan hitler youth? LOL" or "where the gently caress is your chin".

I got to the one spouting off about cultural marxism and had to skip it because of the shadenfreude.

masterrace.jpg

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Broniki posted:

I just want to know how minorities end up in or supporting UKIP. I can understand it for this girl since she's young but I can't understand an adult supporting a party that specifically holds them in contempt.

They're one of the good ones.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:v: So hey you know it turns out the UK isn't that popular with th-
:supaburn: ENOCH POWELL WAS RIGHT

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pilchenstein posted:

It also implies that we're always right.

Please tell me you're joking. "Always right" types are the absolute second worst, after managers who will throw you under a bus to score points with always-rights.

Trickjaw posted:

Nothing about the word customer describes the JCP experience.

Try thinking of it in terms of the randian definition; customers aren't to be helped, but battled with until both of you (or just you, at least) get what you want. They want your jealously guarded public money, you want them sanctioned for a period of no less than six weeks. :v: (I suggest this not because it's a definition I like, but because I think it's probably much closer to the mindset of the people who suggested using the word "customer" than "the customer is always right")

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pilchenstein posted:

Well I certainly wasn't advocating telling your advisor "if this is how you treat your customers I shall write a sternly worded letter!". Yes, I was joking.

I hate that I can't tell any more :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

IceAgeComing posted:

this is the best thing; I love it when creepy idiots post in D&D

https://soundcloud.com/brian-boyko/chainsaw-hands

I was gonna post something relevant but now I can't because my brain is in a puddle on the floor

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You'll all be singing a different tune when black muslim parliament is forcing you to sit at the back of the bus because whites are a minority :corsair:

Crane Fist posted:

Multiculturalism is basically the best thing ever because let's face it, white people are terrible

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only things worth saving about white British culture are completely inconsequential, and not even unique to us:

• commenting on the weather when there's nothing else to say
  • getting mad at Germans for not knowing how to queue and/or trying to bagsie deckchairs (or not respecting our bagsies, I can never remember how that one goes)
  • only being happy when there's something to be depressed about
  • saying sorry/thank you no fewer than five times at the conclusion of every single social interaction
  • perversely proud of always being Hollywood bad guys

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Answer the question.

The race to the bottom :clegg:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

Housechat? Housechat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-mortgages.html

Earn less than £200k/year? Congratulations on being less productive and valuable than an inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar, slacker. If you're on less than £80k, you're not even as productive as a provincial inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar.

How is the value of houses increasing at double the rate of inflation "not a bubble"? :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mrpwase posted:

WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH GUYS DON'T VOTE UKIP THOUGH HERE HAVE MY 5000 WORD ESSAY ON IT :byodood:

http://www.shouldivoteukip.co.uk/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ferrosol posted:

The first series ignited an important debate about the welfare system and we are interested in seeing if we can revisit this through the experiences of residents of a street in a different part of Britain.”

Sure it did, just like cops on camera inspires important discussion of crime and punishment :jerkbag: (also that crappy UK version of the show about australian border control, wrt immigration)

My dad loving loves shows like this, and I don't get it at all, because they drive him completely mental. It's like he enjoys being righteously angry at criminals/immigrants/scroungers/whatever, which is weird because he's not a terrible person in real life around other people, but at home it's all "Enoch Powell was right" and "rararar I must aggressively exercise my right to be a stereotypical old white man at all times [when nobody I'm not related to is watching]". :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

StoneOfShame posted:

My Dad loves them to he gleefully plays a game of guilty or not along with them, normally making his judgement as soon as he sees them especially on the border control ones. Its depressing how often his racial profiling turns out to be right gotta love TV editing!

PS this is why I hate Law and Order. We know you did it! We have no evidence but we know it was you, suspicious thug! :cop: *one hour later, suspicious thug confirmed as baddy* :doink:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

c) BONUS: watch immigration officials perform house and workplace raids and ruin some lives fail to arrest/deport anyone because THE GOVERNMENT IS SOFT ON FILTHY ILLEGALS :byodood:

I'm fairly certain it's intended to be contrasted with the australian one where at least two people per episode get put back on the boat/plane, because the demographic it's aimed at wouldn't be able to get their jollies if the government was portrayed as an entity that competently carries out their desires [of kicking out all the foreigns].

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

QuantumCrayons posted:

(for example, do the Greens run in every council constituency?)

Not in mine; it's Tories, Labour, or this guy (who as far as I am aware wins pretty much every year).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SybilVimes posted:

on the plus side, thanks to labour, I doubt his kids have to face the pinnacle of the bullying I got - which was when one of my bullies decided to bring some of his dad's 303 rounds and start hitting them with bricks in an attempt to get one to shoot me while being held down by his mates.

:catstare: where and when was this?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

lenoon posted:

That poo poo is racist, son.

Hey man you can't just call people racist, that's rude, because racist is a bad word. Apologise immediately! (I have no idea when this started by the way, has it always been verboten in politics to make a factual statement about someone else's character if the fact is that they're poo poo?)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does anyone remember which thread it was where [I think it was] Brown Moses posted that Australian anti-immigration comic with commentary? I was talking about immigration with my sister and she cited Australia as an ideal example without knowing about the whole concentration camp thing, and I'd like to link her to it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Trickjaw posted:

Haven't seen that. Interesting though, and UKIP keep whittering on about adopting Australia's immigration policy.

This is it, though with less expansive comments; in the event I just showed her some Stewart Lee and she chilled right out :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alecto posted:

FML, my sister just told me about how the majority of the English population are no longer white British. But I guess that's fair enough and she can't at all be blamed for swallowing an obviously ludicrous statistic (~80% of the English population is white British), because, you know, she read it somewhere, and what is healthy scepticism anyway?

It's true for London, and does anywhere else really matter?

I still don't really get why it's such a big deal. "No no, I'm not racist, but it is SUPER IMPORTANT that Britain remains majority white until the end of time because [reasons]."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Illuminti posted:

What about staying majority British? ... I like being British, and having the history and social cues that go with it. And I don't want that to disappear.

Life is change. :dealwithit:

e/ You'll always be British, for as long as you continue to feel that you are. If feeling that you're one of the last saddens you, well, just think of coming to terms with that as practice for when you're on your deathbed :v: (I'm serious)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

Lets focus on helping ease their fears. England has always been a land of immigrants, and that is our heritage. That is what being British has meant through history. If we can make people understand that their kids will see everything they grow up with as being their home, even if it's different to what we remember, and that they will be as British as we have ever been, then perhaps we can fight off the arseholes using peoples concerns about the legacy of their home to gently caress over the less fortunate.

It's an extremely tumblr idea but I'm pretty sure Doctor Who would be a perfect starting point for this kind of angle :cripes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

Doctor Who.

Stupid times call for stupid measures :suicide:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Serotonin posted:

Because some people still think that when he gets called a fascist or racist its just typical lefty mudslinging, as opposed to actually being true.

I don't know where the ambiguity is when he's admitted as much. Either he's a real self-professed fascist or a really poor troll, not worth paying attention to regardless.

Illuminti posted:

What do I think Britishness is? Well it's societal not ethnic.

While "ethnic" can contain allusions to race, outside of lovely dogwhistle language it basically means "culture", i.e. social identity. This is why on [good] diversity forms race and ethnicity are categorised separately. The only reason they still have any apparent relation to each other is that large scale international migration is a very recent thing, so any given person of a particular race (i.e. geographical/genetic heritage) is fairly likely to identify to some extent with the culture associated with the place where that race "originates" (read: has been the majority for the last couple of generations or so).

tl;dr: the thing you described after the excerpt I quoted is exactly what is called "ethnicity", and is entirely independent of race.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are you sure Ireland isn't part of the Malvinas? :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

The real question is why so many people on the left are pro EU

Knee-jerk reaction to racist shitheels being against it.

• Locked thread