Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

The March Hare posted:

http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=259

Looks like they are ending the dev blogs in preparation for announcing the CBT? Sort of a weird announcement to parse.

Not so much ending as taking a break from posting dev blogs because they're focusing on internal testing before CBT launch. At least that's how I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Does your gaming vpn offer you a Korean ssn and a working Korean cellphone number?

Didn't they make it illegal, a few years back, for game companies to collect SSNs?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Guys this game isn't like the rest. Burn it. Burn!

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Yes, as with all korean games you need a korean identity. But if you have that, it's an "open" closed beta so long as you register before tuesday next.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

hype again!!!

e: I wonder what kinds of throwaway github lines I could get away with mutilating.

It's not really that hard. You just scan through lines and go "well this sounds like something google translate would say" and you fix it up to sound better.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh. Is there anything that I should be careful about? I have literally never contributed to GitHub outside of grabbing ZIPs and then being confused about them because they're not compiled code. I can follow a guide to create a pull request, but I wanted to know if there was anything that wasn't obvious.

Just check the issues and pull requests page and make sure you're not overlapping what someone else has already done. They used to have an open issue where people would write what they're doing but that seems to be gone, so at least just check any open pull requests before you invest a lot of time.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I guess it makes sense on some level, not wanting 50,000 people suddenly mobbing down the github page because beta keys. Oh well.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Been playing the korean beta for the last two days now and with regards to stamina, I can honestly say I haven't used a single pill on this character. I'm level 61 and melee, with no jump or teleport skills. And 300 ping. Against bosses that rape melee.

So I'm not sure what you're griping so hard about. It's not that bad a mechanic.

Anyway key points to take away from my experience so far:

- Talk to every NPC you see. He may have quests and they are real easy and great exp.
- If you're not into grouping, kill everything and try to stay like 10 levels above your area. It's not that hard.
- Blue-blinking monsters give 1-2 levels worth of experience. If you have to run across the room flailing your weapon like a mad person to get at one of these guys, do it.
- Blue-blinking monsters can also just be some idiot cleric who hexed it. There's a difference.
- Gold/white-blinking monsters are loot piñatas.
- Exp is shared between people who hit monsters. More people = less exp, so try and get away from player packs. Or group with them.
- Boss monsters will rotate/follow for a few seconds between each attack. This is your chance to smack at them. You get a feel for it after a while.
- Some monsters are weak against slashing (swords), some monsters are weak against blunt (maces), some against piercing (arrows, barbarians), fire/ice/lightning/etc. Learn their weaknesses and exploit them. Swordsman has a passive skill especially for this purpose (weapon swap). So far I've done exceptionally well running with both a mace and a sword.
- Talk to your class guy and learn your passives!
- Use anvils (potion shop) to upgrade items. Upgrading doesn't seem to fail as far as I can tell, but it gets hella expensive after +3. Like +1 = 300g, +2 = 800g, +3 = 1500g, +4 = 9000g, +5 = 18000g.
- Sit down (insert) and use gem crafting to combine gems into bigger gems.
- The auction house interface is like... But if you can stomach it you can find really cheap items there. People will sell stuff at 100g over vendor price. Idiots.
- You are locked into whatever class you pick, they make very sure of telling you this, so be sure before you hit OK. Therefore we can deduce there may or may not be cash shop items to reset skill points within your class, but there most likely will not be cash shop items to reset your class tree.
- If you find a good grind spot, exploit the gently caress out of it. There areas scattered all over where easy monsters spawn in huge packs.

I'll add more if I think of it.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Also if you don't like stamina, I did find this gem of a cash shop item:

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Okay so when you're enchanting items, up to +5 is just buy the anvil item and enchant away. Above +5 you have a chance of failing. If you fail, it eats a Potential point (items have potential points) and resets it to rank 0. Expect +6 and above to get expensive real fast.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Dackel posted:

Wouldn't be an asian MMO without this (+5 for "free" is super generous)

Free as in it still costs a good deal of money to get up there, but yeah. Usually it's only +3 or so. But on the other hand I have no idea what the maximum is. There could be many, many levels of failure to go through. Introducing cash shop item Auto-Enchanter Mk.IX?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Dackel posted:

I thought so too, but wouldn't they just code them to attack crystals? Isn't the stamina replenish off of them area wide? Thought I saw that in the cbt2 stream

The recovery thing covers a wide area around the crystal yeah.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
When you finish the third level of the Crystal Mine area

you do not go down to the marked area.

This is an unmarked exit into a level 120 zone that will catch you by surprise. Monsters will be waiting for you at the entrance when you load in. You will die.

When you die, you lose every unused gem in your inventory, so it's a good idea to stash them when you have the chance. Also a lot of item durability.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
The korean beta was finally exp scaled the other day according to what it's actually supposed to be, after many days of exp events and upped rates. International CBT launches with real rates and grind parties are forming already at level 25+. The grind is real people. It is very real.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Been a long time since I just grouped up and talked to people in a game while grinding mobs. Made lots of buddies already. World of Warcraft (and clones) has nothing on this game.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Crateria posted:

Next time around (if I'm in beta again) or when the game comes out I definitely wanna level with someone!

Are there any bonuses or perks to leveling with another person/party? (boosted EXP, etc)

The more people you have the more exp monsters give, but it's of course split between players. Still better than soloing though. Unless you're a tank and can kill your entire pull by yourself, then people wanting to "help out" just end up sucking your tit.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Checked out some PvP videos on YouTube and am pretty stoked to plan out some PvP specific character builds. Just hope that they increase the exp rates since everyone seems to be reporting it being insanely grindy even at lv30 and that means less motivation for rerolling characters :[

A level 200 built for PVP will beat a level 150 regardless of what he tries to counter with, so just keep grinding.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Soon.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
They announced it.

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/update-regarding-the-next-cbt/41322

quote:

Hello guys!
It’s already been two months since we've had our 1st CBT (wow time flies! :open_mouth:) and I'm excited to finally share with you some updates we have for our 2nd CBT. (please note that the following may be subject to change depending on the progress of development)
Our plan at the moment is to launch the 2nd CBT for Tree of Savior in October. The test will run longer this time, for approximately one month, and previous testers who have joined us in the 1st CBT will be able to join us again, along with 5,000 new testers.
Further details regarding test schedules and tester selection will be announced as we finalize so please hang on for official announcements in the future and until then, thank you for your patience and ongoing support for Tree of Savior.

And then their servers killed themselves.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Silento posted:

This is a centurion skill, and we should make it our emblem:

If not that, then something else anime. But remember... That means Grunty gets the final say!

Grunty knows he needs to level up to templar class to make guilds right? I'm guessing he does. He wouldn't have said that otherwise.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

hubris.height posted:

i'm a lazy loving idiot, but i'm also curious if there's an english announcement for this game yet

thanks, see you later

The koreans do primary game testing, the rest of us muppets do regional infrastructure tests, but for all I know it seems like they intend to release the game simultaneously across all regions, except those that have been outsourced to other publishers.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Pixelslol posted:

Ah I can finally get in on this, sweet. Will be away in Japan for half of it :/ do you think they block IP's from there because of the english only thing then? Would suck to miss playing it. Maybe a VPN would work.

quote:

However, our fans from the countries like Korea, Japan, China and the other countries where we have our local publishers will be excluded from the test. We seek for your kind understanding in advance.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Offsite forum what for? Opsec?

Mumbles is definitely needed though but I guess we can mooch CTS again like we did last time.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone can set up channels so I did one down in the Misc section.

Also apparently there are 121,713 beta signups so far. Compared to 5000 people last time I predict it's going to be a bumpy ride.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Oh jeez I misread the announcement as signups starting on Oct. 19, almost made a life-changing error.

Ah yeah if you haven't signed up yet, get to it. Signups close tomorrow.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Countblanc posted:

can't wait to play this pile with old RO people and reminisce about the time there was a suicide in our vent

Do tell!

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

rizzen posted:

So is there a recommended class/build/thing to play as to learn the ropes of the game, so to speak? Going into this test knowing pretty much gently caress all other than that it looks pretty, and I need to collect all the hats.

Make a swordsman and pick str at every level up. You'll have things pretty much figured out by the time you reach rank 3 and have to start making more interesting class choices.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Did you guys actually get keys emailed you to you yet or has that not happened? Because I haven't seen anything in my email.

Looking forward to seeing just how kMMO this game is, based on the pay-for-respecs and Tales of the Grind already, I'm guessing Extremely. The music alone has convinced me to at least give it a try though.

They start mailing keys tomorrow but they have to chew through 150k mails so...

Also they've boosted the xp quite heavily in this beta to allow people to get higher up during the one month of play, so at least this time around it wont be as kMMO as it was last time.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Sacro posted:

They are all in Virginia.

That was last beta. Seems like they've moved everything up north a bit this time around. Not sure where that guy got those server locations from, but on my end all three run through paix01-jfk1.amazon.com, which is the Amazon Pennsynvania exchange.

Could be they all end up in New York this time around, but we really won't know for sure until the game servers come online.

pertinent fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 22, 2015

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

I missed the beta signup :smith:

Is there any way to get a key now?

Lie/cheat/scam/steal

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Slack is retarded. Can't create an account without creating a team. Can't join a team without creating an account. Can't create an account because I tried too many things too fast. Why can't I just create an account? Why aren't we just using IRC like we have been since forever?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I accept the challenge. I propose a pistol duel. How's 10 paces?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
They will be squeezing 150,000 people into three servers. Please understand they will all be completely full of brasilians, russians and australians.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Scoss posted:

Someone who understands the game's stats more than I, explain to me why this sword hits harder than this mace, even against enemies who aren't granting the 50% slash vulnerability. My character sheet shows me having a decidedly higher physical attack stat with the mace on, and obviously the weapon itself has a higher range, so what gives. The mace has a red gem in it but unless I'm completely misunderstanding it, that shouldn't matter.

There's no indicator for when you get -50% damage, only when you get +50%, and mobs that are strong against mace are much more common than monsters that are strong against sword. Very few monsters are neutral against both so it's hard to compare properly.

Also swords are awesome.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

But would all the spear and shield required skills be useless to me once (if) I hit Fencer?
I think I'm gonna go Highlander for C3.

You can see on tosbase which skills require spearshield stance and which don't.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK Im having issues paying for poo poo as it is so I guess I'm taking a break or switching to another character while that is sorted.

If all you do is quest you get practically no money. Grind some.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I'm not really enjoying this beta with the increased xp rates. It's become just another mad rush to solo beeline-grind all the quests and get max level. Basically it has become every other MMO.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Hy_C posted:

Actually I don't think wanting to grind levels makes you hardcore. It just makes you more intelligent that the masses that managed to dumb down an entire genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

How is the founder server gonna work in regard to people from different regions? Since I'll probably end up playing on the Brazilian server, the current system doesn't mean much to me, is it NA only?

They're only making an east coast server. So it'll be full of brazilians and russians and french people. And canadians.

• Locked thread