Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Pete is a dork, very intelligent and constantly having to buy new fabric for your suit and chemicals for your webslinger is a good explanation for why he's always strapped for cash.

I don't actually put in all that much thought into superheroes. They're fun and enjoyable because of what they are: unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember watching a video a while back where people were wearing a sort of headset which measured brain activity in some way. The machine could recognize certain patterns and it was really easy to calibrate certain patterns (the user imagining moving a cursor up, for example) and link it so that those thoughts would actually be realized in a digital environment. The manipulation was quite advanced, allowing a novice user to move a camera perspective around (including zooming in and the like) quite easily after only 5 minutes or so of practice and calibration.

I'm sure that as these kinds of technologies will become increasingly common and tasks performed with them will be more complex, research will be done (or already is being done) on the effect of gestures on mental tasks like that. It wouldn't surprise me that Magneto would point at a single, specific bit of iron to focus on and manipulate it instead of picking up the wrong bit or the whole pile by mistake.

This is probably the nerdiest thing I've thought about in the last week.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

I thought it was meant to be Sherlock Holmes MD, hence the lead character's name.

My doctor really is called House, and that show annoys the hell out of her.

It's fairly obvious that's intentional. House, Holmes. Wilson, Watson. Crippling addiction, etc.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One thing that always annoys me when I notice it is sloppy editing when two characters are having a conversation and you're watching over the shoulder of one of them, seeing only half their face out of focus. I get how it happens, the conversation is filmed twice, once from each perspective, and then movie magic happens, but it really ruins a scene when the person whose shoulder you're looking over is speaking and their entire body movement, most noticeably the jaw, is out of sync with what they're actually saying.

I get that you're supposed to focus on the face that's focused on, gauging their reaction or whatever, but it's often too glaringly obvious not to notice.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

FightingMongoose posted:

Figuratively! Figuratively all the loving time.

What about all the time that's not for loving?

Literally, despite its meaning, doesn't always have to be used literally. Literally can be used figuratively and people should stop being such prescriptivist babies about it.:ssh:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

This isn't a movie thing but more of an actor thing. I've been rewatching The Wire, and while it's even better than I remember (mostly because I'm older and more educated now, so I catch a lot of things I missed when I watched it the first time) I noticed one thing that bugs me: Lance Reddick's walk. It's not just The Wire, I noticed this in Fringe as well, but he's got a weird walk somewhere between a robot and a I don't know, a bodybuilder or something?

The guy is tall and muscled as hell, but there's just something off about the way he moves. It's unnatural or something. Does he have issues with his back or shoulders, or is it just the way he walks?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks, I figured as much. drat good actor, and knowing this adds something to his character.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress the haters, I liked WWZ. I didn't go in expecting anything more or less than an action zombie flick with Brad Pitt as the badass hero and I got that, and at least the whole 'zombies avoid sick people' made more sense and was a tiny bit more original than the whole 'some special people are immune so we have to protect this one person so we can somehow spread those immunity genes through the whole population and save the world' bullshit.

I didn't read the source material, so I enjoyed myself in the cinema even if I don't care to watch it a second time. Want to talk about loving up the source material of a zombie film? gently caress the I Am Legend movie. I'm glad I watched the movie first for some braindead (heh, get it?) entertainment and only read the book later.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

KoB posted:

The book didnt have a cure at all, right? I think its much more interesting that there wasnt a cure or magic way out. It was just a thing they had to deal with from now on.

Yup, no cure. Humanity basically became vampires (daylight was bad and stuff) but didn't actually need to feed on humans if I recall correctly, at least not after a while. The protagonist was one of the last old humans alive spending his nights holed up in his fortress and his days going around killing the zombies/vampires while they were sleeping. In the end he's captured through a ruse and it's revealed that the new generation of humanity have had things pretty well back to normal for a while now, all things considered, which he didn't know because when they were awake, at night, he was hidden and scared shitless because they were trying to get to him in his fortress. You know, because he was killing them indiscriminately when they were vulnerable, women and children and everyone. Like the mythical vampires of old, except in reverse. They put him to trial and execute him, I think, and the legendary monster that stalked through the daytime and killed them was finally dealt with.

Hence the title: I am Legend.

Now compare that to the bullshit movie that, as usual, end with a safe haven and a cure gotten from a sample of the savior who was somehow genetically immune or some poo poo. gently caress that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

drat, I had forgotten about that. Again, say what you will about World War Z, but at least zombies ignoring ill people and the 'cure' being giving everyone an incurable but not actually lethal disease is more original and better than the standard poo poo you see all over.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

I thought it was pretty obvious. It's not that we ruined earth's ability to sustain life, it's that we ruined its ability to sustain us. Life goes on without us.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Seriously, that's what irritates you? It's a movie where you've got a literal flying electric dude throwing lightning around and at the end a dude in a giant mech suit firing a gazillion bullets a second and the general public crowds around like it's some sort of spectator sport, parents with little kids and all.

It's all par for the course, and it doesn't make sense, but it's fun as hell.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hope the next spider-man movie skips ahead to Doc Ock bodysnatching Peter

Well, I did spot (a prototype of) the arms in the research lab basement or whatever when that dude went to gently caress himself up with the serum.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gently caress movies that don't use the actual language when portraying foreign people or countries. We're in the goddamn 21st century and I just don't understand why they gently caress it up so often. Is it an attempt at humor or something? Are they really too stupid/lazy? 90% of the time something that's supposed to be Dutch is either German or gibberish.

I mean, a little while back I saw this Southpark episode where they parodied Santa by replacing him with Slash (the guitar guy) and making it a Dutch tradition/folktale and while they got the melody of 'Sinterklaas Kapoentje' (the most used children's song for Sinterklaas) down perfectly the words were gibberish, and that was fine, because it's supposed to be silly and nonsensical and it's South Park so whatever, but I see it in more serious tv shows and movies too.
Either it's gibberish, or it's German, and it's just so goddamn stupid. Even relatively big budget productions are guilt of this (gently caress you Austin Powers.)

Do they do this with other countries/languages too? I don't mean accents, but I mean having like a supposedly Italian character and having them speak Greek or whatever. I don't get why in the 21st century it's seemingly impossible to do a quick google search to see what a language is like, instead of just defaulting to throwing a dart at a map in the general vicinity and going "meh, close enough."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

kinmik posted:

This is probably the only reason I like Inglorious Basterds. German people speak German amongst themselves, the French speak French, and Bradd Pitt's "Gor-lah-mee" cracked me the gently caress up. Also Cristoph Waltz's casting was inspired. :allears:

It's sad that something like that, which honestly should be standard practice, surprises me and speaks hugely in a movie's favor.
Really, if you need an actor that speaks a certain language, get one that actually does. I'm sure there's plenty of great actors that speak whatever language to choose from, especially if it's for minor roles or background characters.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

A few pages back, I know, but can you name any more examples other than Austin Powers? Because that was the first thing I thought of as well when reading your post, but I can't think of any other examples and am genuinely curious.

I remember some Kung Fu movie, maybe with Jackie Chan, but I'm not entirely sure, and several instances in tv shows (although again, I can't give you any specifics), although those were always minor characters. There's also this scene from Eurotrip :nws: where her accent isn't even close to a Dutch accent and the safe-word is literally composed of letters we don't even use. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but gently caress, there's plenty of actual Dutch words that are just as gibberish seeming and impossible to pronounce for foreigner.

At any rate, it's more of a general complaint rather than Dutch specifically, I just chose it as an example because it's closest to home.

On the other hand you've got little moments where you can tell they actually tried their hardest to get it right and while they rarely get it 100%, the effort that went into it really makes those moments shine. "Jij bent een ezel." in perfectly understandable Dutch was a surprisingly hilarious moments in Friends, for example.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

How did she know that's when she lost the power? She would've had to test it by dying.

I mean I guess he 'felt' it.
Is fine or whatever, but it's irritating.

They both felt it, and said so quite explicitly a couple of times. I guess being able to respawn gives you a buzz or something.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Why didn't I save nine bucks by staying home and doing something more enjoyable, like stepping on a LEGO with bare feet?"

That bad, huh?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of fight scenes, this guy explains it quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

darkhand posted:

That was a really great watch, thanks for showing us.

Check out his other videos too if cinematography and stuff interests you.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I always took Sam and Dean not believing in something was because if it had existed they probably would've known about it, or at least it would be referenced in some book or whatever, or might've been referenced somewhere as definitely a myth and not existing. I mean, if I've got a thousand year old book that tells me what supernatural beings exist and it says such-or-so is commonly believed to exist but don't worry, it definitely doesn't, then my brother goes up to me and says he totally saw that thing, I'd probably question it too. More often than not, it's not actually such-or-so but rather something stupid like a shapeshifter or a manifestation of people's fears or whatever.

Then again, Supernatural (and SHIELD and the like) isn't a show I watch all that attentively or critically because it's goofy, fun and self-deprecating, so I just go along for the ride without thinking too much about it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

There's a great video on texting in film/TV: http://youtu.be/uFfq2zblGXw

Damnit, I wanted to post this.

Seriously, check that video and the others on the channel out, it's really interesting and well done.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ladron posted:

Six Feet Under gets a pass on everything just because the final episode was amazing.

Yeah, after reading it referenced a couple of times as a great show I went into it blind, deliberately knowing nothing except the title, and I ended up binge watching it over the holidays. It's rare a show has a solid ending that leaves you satisfied like that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The Progenitor RPG setting by Greg Stolze does this in a much more interesting and believable way. Mainly because the omnipotent character takes ~30 years to go full on psychotic, even if it's implied she starts seeing other people as lesser beings pretty early on.

Then again the setting also fills the world with thousands of other, less powerful physics defying assholes, so it may not be a great comparison.

So far, for me, Watchmen dealt with this the best way, the difference of course being that Dr. Manhattan also had the temporal disconnect, which is hard to convey but I think the comic did a very good job, and this adaptation on youtube is very well done, for those of you that haven't read the comic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stKh-TQxHLw

The movie differs a bit, but there's no major spoilers if you've seen the movie but still want to read the graphic novel.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Agreed. I thought it worked well and humanized a completely broken, emotionless Reeves in a really good way. Most people would break when their wife got killed by some hitmen, and if they were a hitman themselves they'd go ballistic. That's easy and cliché and par for the course. Having the killing of the dog push him (someone who was really struggling to escape his former life, figure who he is, was and wants to be, and fundamentally change himself) over the edge like that worked really well in what is essentially a bare-bones 'look at our awesome violence and choreography'-film.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

outlier posted:

Interstellar is a well-made film, with a terrible script. It's littered with dumb exposition ("maybe love is some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive"), manufactured dilemmas, characters pulling solutions out of their rear end and then later being ignorant of things they should have accounted for (e.g. time dilation). For an SF film that bathes in physics and high falutin' talk, it's remarkably stupid.

Not just time dilation but when they visit that first planet with the huge gently caress-off waves they totally should've known what it would be like.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's fairly obviously structured around Shakespeare's Richard III which, being quite familiar with the play, I thought was pretty cool.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I forget which episode exactly but its part of that whole character arc where Hank is feeling really worthless as an agent. He goes into some really seedy looking bar and intentionally picks a fight with some guy and then pulls his badge and either storms out or arrests the guy, its been awhile. But he definitely goes into a bar and picks a fight at some point.

Yeah, he basically takes his partner to the seediest bar in town, notes how couple of guys are holding drugs to which his partner replies along the lines of "In this bar the bartender is probably holding, let's get the gently caress out of here."

They leave, he goes back, starts a fight and arrests them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand that can go just as wrong if you aren't careful. LOST is a good example of not explaining things so the audience can fill them in themselves.... but then never actually bothering to come up with something coherent and ultimately writing yourself into a wall.

Ideally it should feel like the author knows the answer but he just isn't sharing it.

This isn't movies but I loved how Iain M. Banks did it in his Culture novels. It's all perfectly plausible up to the point where us normal humans could understand, and all the really advanced tech was invented by smug AI minds who would at most use some vague metaphors and stuff because we wouldn't understand anyway. You'd have ship computers literally talk down to humans asking questions they wouldn't understand the answer to, like a rocket scientist would to a 6 year old.

Or one of my favourite bits: the AI of a ship showing it's passengers seemingly real time footage of the spacebattle it was engaged in, and when the passenger understandably freaks out they're told to relax, it's all an extremely slowed down replay, the actual battle only took like half a second.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I thought that was the point. The Watchmen are hosed up, broken people.

Edit: is Matt Murdock not being blind a real thing? If so, why bother calling him Daredevil since that's his entire thing.

Nah, he's blind. People just get confused because there's this one scene when he describes the world as he senses it and they do a visual representation of that in a 'world on fire' kind of way (Matt's words.)

People are just exaggerating and/or being stupid. Yeah, he's blind but he's got supersmell and superhearing and echolocation and all that superhero poo poo so he knows the bad guy is three floors down talking to people because he can smell the cologne and maybe he can read printed text because he's got supersense in his fingers so he can feel the ink (although I don't remember that from the series) but I mean, he's a goddamn superhero with superpowers. There's a fair bit of suspension of disbelief going on anyway, why start nitpicking and being a baby?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously though the amount of real technology that was invented based on sci-fi from Star Trek or Alien is pretty amazing.

I don't know if I'd say "based on" because I think it's more like convergent evolution. Different starting points (in this case real tech and sci-fi tech) getting to roughly the same point through different paths. That doesn't mean that current technology like tablets is based on Star Trek, but rather that the creators of Star Trek were imaginative enough to take things to a logical conclusion and the real world did the same, without the two being directly connected enough to say that one was based on the other.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

syscall girl posted:

It's supposed to tie in with Brazil and Twelve Monkeys. I guess.

Those movies were insanely good and Zero took a pass for obvious reasons.

I did like his psychiatrist's breakdown and several aspects of it but I can't recommend it.

I was disappointed as well, but I would recommend it if you don't invest too much into it beforehand. It's a weird and entertaining movie, albeit somewhat forgettable in the end. Definitely not on the same level as 12 Monkeys or Brazil.

As for some actual contribution, I just watched Chappie. It was very entertaining because I didn't take it too serious from the start. (I think that a lot of gripes people have with movies is because they go into it with the wrong mindset or expectations, which is one of the reasons that Zero Theorem was a disappointment for me.)

I do have 2 irritating moments to share about Chappie that struck me while I was watching:

The first being that Deon took the master key thingy, which was said to be this extremely high security measure, and not only did it take the company what, two days? for them to figure out it was missing in the first hand but even worse, when they finally did log it missing he was told to return it by the end of the day or *serious repercussions.* I mean, holy poo poo, that's some lacks loving security for something that could possibly endanger law enforcement in its totality.

The second being that Wolverine has this super awesome combat mech thing going on, but for whatever reason (A) apparently it needs some kind of mind-linkage remote control poo poo to function and (B) apparently Joburg exists in a vacuum and the wider world doesn't exist, a supermech isn't profitable and couldn't possible be used in actual combat zones and poo poo. They even make a point of the police people mocking the guy because what use is being able to take down aircrafts when you're trying to enforce the law in a city? Yeah, no poo poo, get some military guys in there and they'll buy a shitton of mechs. It reminded me of the new Robocop film where those mechs were used.

Like I said, I really, really enjoyed myself for two hours, but only because it's very entertaining to see an AI acting like a powerful robot teenager raised by Die Antwoord. Also, the ending was very predictable but no less fun because of it.

eta:
Also, for some reason, the big robot during the big showdown looked very CGI/fake to me, which surprised me because the CGI is top notch aside from those couple of scenes.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 23:38 on May 17, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

If they went with using brains to run the Matrix we'd all be bitching about them going with the "We only use 10% of our brains!"-cliche they'd probably include.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

PicklePants posted:

What do you do after experiencing something like that? We rebuild.

Goddamn this. I just saw the movie last night and that moment made me think of this thread. It's not even the line itself, I mean, it's cliche as gently caress but whatever, it's a fun disaster movie so I expected nothing less. What got me was that goddamn smug self satisfied nod afterwards. "Yup, like a million loving people died, but gosh darn it we're Americans, and we're awesome." It seemed so callous. If the line was delivered in a sad way, with a sigh, it would've worked so much better, but no, gotta be a feelgood moment.

e:

Light Gun Man posted:

I was annoyed how long it took them to think of using the laser as a signal device because like as soon as they picked it up I was like "good idea, that could be useful in a disaster situation." And not only does it take them forever to think of it they act like it's some amazing revelation when it's like, basically what the drat thing is for.

This, on the other hand, didn't annoy me at all. I can easily imagine even forgetting you have the laser at all in a situation like that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Another phobe thing I noticed in the lqst episode of Gotham. Whenever someone gets an unexpected or impossible call they pull the phone away and just stare at it flabbergasted for a couple of seconds. Does anyone ever do that in real life? I can kind of see it with modern phones to check the number r something, but it just looks so stupid and must be incredibly awkward for the actor to do.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I like that in more recent comics they have picked up on this, like there is a guy whose power is that he has eyes all over his body and I think he even has a few sour conversations with mutants who look like supermodels and have bothersome powers such as "controls the weather."

I'm always reminded of this throwaway line in the original X-Men cartoon. There's riots, people hunting mutants, buildings getting wrecked and poo poo and this poor blue guy with freakish features and a big nose desperately exclaims: "I just look like this. I can't even do anything." I only saw it once, maybe two decades ago, and it stuck with me ever since.

Tiggum posted:

It's especially annoying when it's someone who could totally ignore their powers if they wanted but still act like it's this huge burden. If you look like a normal person and no one can tell you're not until you start levitating or whatever, then maybe just don't do that. Problem solved.

To be fair, aside from the who government/evil organizations hunting you, that only becomes an option once you've learned to control your power. They always make a big deal of people not being able to help themselves and burn their house down, melt their best friend, whatever.

I mean, as awesome as being able to fly would be, it would kind of suck to just float away one moment in class in high school, or turn invisible when you're stressed during a test or whatever.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

darkhand posted:

Guns and cellphones actually working correctly in movies would ruin most of them.

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

There should be plenty to say about that one.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Taeke posted:

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

There should be plenty to say about that one.

Holy poo poo this was a terrible post and you're all completely right in calling it out. I have no excuse other than blaming fatigue from traveling and fever and meds. Guess I turn into kind of a dick when I'm like that. poo poo, I actually like the irrational stuff I complained about. That's the whole purpose of this loving thread.

I honestly have no idea what I was thinking posting that and I do apologize.

As for Minority Report: it's so full of holes I don't even know where to start. Aside from Anderton's murder not being premeditated and as such shouldn't be precogged that far in advance, Burgess's plan was and the 'echos' that were discarded should've reflected that (and thus not be discarded.) They planned to make the whole system going national ignoring the fact that the precogs were limited, so they either needed to 'boost' their abilities or get more precogs I guess? Anderton is also able to get through security with his detached eyeballs while all his access should've obviously been denied.

There's probably dozens more examples but despite all its flaws it's still a very entertaining movie and I couldn't help but be amused by the constant references to him having to keep running because that's kind of Tom Cruise's thing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I mean, it's really, really loving obvious it's all in his head. That's not just implied subtly, it's pretty much thrown in your face and outright stated. There's even the scene in the hospital where the nurse pretends to turn off the machine and they all give each other knowing looks. They're not actually trying to help him battle EM radiation in any practical way because that's pointless. Instead they're just humoring him because that's all you can do when you don't have the ability to help someone with a mental illness like that.

The only thing he suffers from is anxiety issues and panic attacks, which he (delusionally) explains as EM sensitivity, but it's all very irrational because that the nature of those things.

e:
Not trying to jump down your throat or anything, sorry if it comes off that way, but complaining about the lack of a proper Faraday cage/suit is completely missing the point of it all.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

No its not 'really loving obvious'. That one scene in the hospital is the only hard evidence that he's making it up. Jimmy seems to believe him all along, and its shown as one of his redeeming qualities that as scummy as he is, he stands up for his brother where everybody else doubts him. We see plenty of other scenes which seem to make it realistic, Chuck seems to know there are electrical devices on even when people say there aren't. He could have guessed, but it goes both ways. The show is very clearly ambiguous about it, not "loving obvious".

Yeah, sorry, my tone was completely off.

I do disagree with you though. He defends his brother out of loyalty but I remember plenty of telling sighs and eye rolling and even conversations with the female lawyer where it's apparent that Jimmy is aware that it's a mental health issue. He just doesn't know how to deal with it, so he goes along with his brother's demands and invents ways help him. Even the man himself seems to realize what's going on at the end and tries to overcome his fears by going out of the house as a form of exposure therapy.

eta:
Another sign that not all is well (psychologically speaking) with Chuck is his OCD, but for me the most telling was the fact that the medical equipment didn't actually trigger his symptoms. It's very real to him, but it's psychosomatic.

eta 2:
Take a look at the very last scene of episode 8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOca4KF1Ik

Chuck is so caught up in his work that he completely forgets about his issues up until the moment this mindset is broken by Jimmy and he realizes he's outside, triggering his anxiety.

Taeke has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Nov 2, 2015