Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ridley Scott's lovely Robin Hood

Ugh, I'd forgotten about this. Why would you make a Robin Hood film with LITTLE TO NO ARCHERY. THAT IS HIS THING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The goofy part is that in the finished movie the Sheriff is barely in the film.

This. I remember the sheriff being introduced and thinking he seemed an interesting character - like he wasn't EVIL evil, just a bureaucrat in a poo poo situation, from memory. Then nothing.

Boo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Watched Spectre last night and was IIMM'd when Mr Hinx kills the dude at the Spectre meeting in Rome to show his "credentials".

They had one agent position to fill (Sciara's) but now they have to replace the dead dude as well. Hope there's someone who knows what's what in his office.

Plus they'll have to get someone to take over Mr Hinx's position. Being an evil HR supervisor must suck.

Also, they seemed to make a deal about Hinx's thumbnails - ooh, must be his gimmick!

But no, we don't see them again, not even for an ironic death where Bond turns his gimmick back on him.

Boo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mister Nobody posted:

I'm pretty sure Hinx and the other guy were just contract killers auditioning for the job as spectre's premier assassin.

The thumbnail thing was really weird though, I definitely thought we would have seen more of that.

Zaphod42 posted:

I kept waiting for him to come back later in the film, but nope. I guess he died at the train. Seemed too comical for such a big henchman to be his way to die. I'd love it if he showed up at the end and Bond was like "you AGAIN?"

Also I thought it was really weird how he killed him by poking his eyes out, but the guy didn't scream or fight back or anything. But then I guess it ended up being a thing because the villain goes on about how the guy knew he was dead already or whatever. But that just seems really silly and stupid and also complete bullshit.

You're probably right, Mr Nobody. The other dude had been sitting at the end table for the whole meeting and the fact he didn't fight back seemed like he was more an evil paper pusher than an assassin.

The trailer for In the Heart of the Sea played when I saw Spectre. At first I thought they had massacred Moby Dick and added a romantic subplot (the only romantic subplot should be Queequeg and Ishmael) then it seemed like it was historical, but finished looking like they tried to do Moby Dick without doing Moby Dick - ugh.

Somebody should do Moby Dick, but with all the whale fun facts from the book - like have a dude dressed as Herman Melville reading all those whale quotes for 30 minutes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Last Jedi I generally enjoyed the film, though I think half of it could have been cut - it spent too much time rehashing bits from the original film.

But mostly, gently caress Poe Dameron. Fucker should have been shot after disobeying orders during Operation Slow-moving Flimsy Space Bombers Attacking from the Worst Possible Angle.

He should have been shot after sending Finn and Rose on a stupid mission that undermined Laura Dern's sensible escape plan and resulting in like 80% of the transports being picked off. In fairness, she could have said "Dude, I have a plan - chillax", especially when she knew he was likely to go all maverick.

He should have been shot after wasting the remaining pilots on Operation Fly lovely Slow Vehicles in a Tight Cluster Towards a Prepared Enemy.

Dude is just about responsible for all the good guys deaths in the film - I'd argue even Luke.

In conclusion, gently caress Poe Dameron. He was pretty cool in the previous film, but just super sucked here.

That said, I really like the crackly sound of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. There's something satisfyingly creepy about it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Imagined posted:

Agreed. It suits his character. Barely contained, menacing, and unstable, but also a self-made poor imitation of a greater original.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're pretty much on point there. I felt his characterization in the first half of the film, unlike the previous film and the end of this one, had that nuance. But they kinda threw it away after the lightsaber tug-o-war.

Tunicate posted:

If the dreadnought had followed them, it would have killed their remaining cruisers within about twenty seconds. It's a fleet killer with those big superguns. Poe's choice was ultimately the correct one.

Yeah, but if you're going to be pedantic about it (and I am) there's no reason the Rebels should have had any chance of even starting the stupid bomb run - they were caught with their pants down. The not-Star Destroyers by all rights should have come out of hyperspace with guns blazing and ripped through the Rebels, but they stopped to speechify and be comically delayed by Poe's prank call, then lolly-gag as the Rebels dicked about with their bombs on the Dreadnaught. None of it particularly added to the story, at least not in any organic way.

This, and a lot of the other big action scenes would have been better if they'd stopped trying to work in references to the previous films and just got on with it. As it is, it depends a lot on the supposedly overwhelming First Order standing around incompetently waiting for the Rebels to be plucky underdogs.

Its a happy coincidence that Adrian Edmonson had his cameo in this scene, because this is kinda how I felt about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnoaasHJ9Y&t=30s

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

That's the entire movie, really. For instance, the rebel plan hinges on the first order never expecting that when the rebels ran out of fuel they'd abandon ship.

It feels like they had a few cool setpieces they really wanted to include, then just tried to loosely string them together.

For instance, the big problem of 'we are trapped and can't find a way out' gets totally ruined when the protagonists fly off to have adventures on some other planet and then come back.

But for all that you've mentioned there, it could have been a tighter, punchier movie. And the more I think about it, the more it annoys me!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Katanas in action films, more specifically Western action films in a contemporary setting. If someone has a sword, its almost always a loving katana, regardless of any context.

Humans have been killing each other with a great array of swords down through the centuries, maybe pick a different one? A Roman gladius or a rapier perhaps?

Triggered by Altered Carbon - its the space-future and you have all sorts of cool space-future tech, why would you have a katana? WHY?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is Altered Carbon any good?

I've enjoyed it so far, though I'm only half way through the season. The visuals are really pretty - its a grimy, neon space-future - kinda like original Bladerunner, but with shinier stuff from late 90's and early 00's space-future (like Gattaca).

The tech concepts are pretty cool - it reminds me slightly of M. John Harrison's Light (which would make an AWESOME (if weird) TV series) - though there are parts that are starting to feel like the sonic weapon bits in Lynch's Dune, a bit out of place or tone with everything else happening.

Also the katana. Grr.

The actors who have to play a number of diverse characters due to the main concept of the series are pretty cool, especially Matt Biedel.

It also has Matt Frewer, best known as Max Headroom, in a cool, neon space-future get up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

South Korea is less overdone than Japan and has less political baggage than China while still being exotic yet developed, I bet.

One of best touches in Cloud Atlas is that the futuristic setting is South Korea. In the 80's, Japan probably seemed like the future, but actually visiting a couple of years ago, it often felt either caught in the 80's or very traditional - which is nice, but not super cyberpunk. South Korea seems more willing to pick up technology - I think they have the fastest internet speeds by a wide margin, from memory.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

They do and have the highest tech sector growth in the world (well, depending on your metric).

See, if cyberpunk was created now rather than the '80's, I feel we'd have a whole generation of Kore-aboos and Taiwan-aboos.

In other news, I'm currently annoyed at both Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek Discovery - they both start with really interesting premises (plucky humans taking their first steps into the galaxy and the Federation/Klingon war, respectively) but gently caress off into stupid and unnecessary tangets (the stupid Time Cold War and the parallel universe/spore drive stuff). I don't care about the future or your alternate timeline fan fiction! Its like they have no faith in fairly straight forward concepts being entertaining.

I feel like its a general trend in television now, like every show needs to have an overarching story line. That's fine, if you're telling a story that requires that space (like Stranger Things or Dark) but there's nothing wrong with just having a monster of the week format. I can enjoy that - I don't necessarily want to watch relationships blossom over the course of a series - maybe I just want to watch space people fight cool space stuff!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'm mildly irritated that a number of movies have incorrectly predicted the future. Movies like Deathrace 2000, Rollerball and The Running Man all promised a future where human life was cheap and we would be able to watch death sports on television, which I presume is a critique of television and consumer culture.

I was sitting in a cafe the other day, and a trailer for Married at First Sight came on a TV and I realised how far of the mark all the death sport type movies were. We're never going to get Rollerball, its just crappy reality TV all the way down.

The problem is, that its a hard trope to escape, even when we should know better.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Dude!

Legit best show on TV.

No Dynamo. Zero out of ten, would not clap if i loved.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

This is the Irrational thread, not the Rational thread. There's just something about Keaton that rubs me wrong - I really dislike even looking at him. Maybe someone who looked like him or acted like his characters or something yelled at me as a kid? I don't really know but man I do hate that guy.

It's to Homecoming's testament that I still enjoyed the movie, even with him in it.

For years, I loathed Val Kilmer. Wasn't keen on watching him in anything.

I heard good things about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang when it came out and about Kilmer in particular. I never ended up watching it, but was puzzled why I didn't like Kilmer when it seemed he was the kind of actor I usually like.

A few years ago, I realised he'd been Jim Morrison in The Doors and I HATE Jim Morrison, the pretentious dead wanker. And irrationally, I'd transferred that to Kilmer.

Anyway, there's a million stories, naked city, etc.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I really liked [b]Arrival[\b], and I realise that the aliens are encouraging humans to extend themselves and figure out the galactic language by themselves, prove themselves worthy, blah blah.

On reflection though, it does seem like the interstellar version of going to a foreign country and speaking English LOUDLY and S-L-O-W-L-Y to the natives like the worst Ugly Tourist stereotype.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

there's a reason for this

if someone takes a bite of something then gives a really good take but you want to use a take of another one of the actors from earlier/later in the scene, your continuity gets all hosed up

no one eats the food because then editing gets pinned down to one sequence of events, which just wouldn't be feasible to the process - you lose the freedom to pick and choose takes for the best performances. movies are like giant puzzles - they're shot in bits and fitted painstakingly together to look sequential.

This is kinda the opposite of I and irritating, but I just finished watching The Shadow Line last night. It's an older UK series about dodgy cops and drug dealers.

One of the main characters has a conversation with his boss in a public place, during which his boss eats a flake cone (soft serve with a chocolate bar jammed in it). The actor very clearly licks the cone during the conversation, but as it's in a licked state from the start, there's no issue for continuity.

Firstly, it's cool to see people actually eating, and secondly, I liked that a dodgy cop in process of eliminating other dodgy cops and scheming to get control of a drug ring still has time to enjoy a flake cone.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There's a Hong Kong revenge action film where a guy single handedly destroys some large gang who've kidnapped his son for whatever reason.

The last scene is him driving with his son on a motorboat while some text explains he is arrested and gets life in prison and never sees his son again.

I wish for the life of me I could remember the name, I think it was a Ringo Lam film...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lol no, that wasn't it, but basically the same format.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I know, I just wanted to show that off because it is hilarious.

Understandable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

You can kill aliens, nazis and robots and it's okay. So Star Wars has a loophole.

I feel that someone decided that it would be okay to kill the robots in Clone Wars because they're clearly not people and wouldn't be problematic.

They then went and gave the robots comedic, klutzy personalities rather than them being mindless automatons...and it made it feel problematic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

This reminds me of my favorite visual effects trick, which was from Escape from NY

They wanted to render a wireframe view of the city as the glider flew into it, but Carpenter was told it would cost the entire film's budget to render it with the technology of the day.

So what did they do?

Well, they were using a scale model to film the glider's point of view shot. So... somebody got the clever idea to cover the edges of the buildings in reflective tape, and turn most of the lights off, and... real-life wireframe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYmMRxnEic&t=75s

If you pay attention you'll notice the buildings still occlude each other, so its not a proper wireframe at all. But you see green boxy lines in a city shape and you just kinda accept it as a computer readout. Works great!

This is great. It reminds me of the book bits from the Hitchhiker's Guide tv series from the 80's and Max Headroom. The dude who hand animated the former to look like a computer, did the backgrounds the same way for the later. And Max himself is just Matt Frewer in a fibreglass suit.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Holy poo poo, can't believe I didn't realize this.

Edit: gently caress it also has Kang-ho Song in it, and Doona Bae.

Doona Bae sounds like a companion to Pillow Waifu.

(Doona is an Australianism for duvet, before you ask.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

On silly/punny album titles:

Horrible Sydney rap-rock band of the early 90sPearls & Swine released an album called "Far King Great"

(I saw them once in concert, supporting somebody or other. They were rat poo poo awful.)

They supported Guns 'n' Roses in the early 90's. I didn't go, but I heard Axl bagged them out on stage. I always thought Axl was being a dick, but maybe not...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

My 4-year old has been obsessed with listening to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as an audiobook on YouTube, so I let her watch the Tim Burton film last week when she was sick. She thought the melting animatronics were hilarious.

I don't mind Johnny Depp's take on Wonka, but felt it was a bit prissy.

Reading Wikipedia, Nic Cage had been in talks to play Willy Wonka early on, but had lost interest.

My IIMM is that we missed out on a Nic Cage Willy Wonka. I don't think many actors could get the weird, cynical and manic energy that Wonka needs, but I feel Cage would have nailed it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'm more surprised that the Malcolm series changed so much from a sweet film about an autistic Australian man in the first to a biopic about an American civil right's leader in the tenth.

In another timeline, that's probably a Thomas Pynchon novel.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

My IIMM is that you had her watch this one rather than the Gene Wilder version.

I like the oompah-loompahs and the songs better in the Burton version.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

This isn't the objectively wrong opinions thread.

I know. The oompah-loompahs in the Wilder film are rubbish. FightBattle-dance me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Vandar posted:

I love that the Tim Burton movie was all like 'this is going to be more accurate to the book and a more accurate adaptation overall!' and then it threw in the absolutely unneeded subplot about Wonka's dad being some sort of evil dentist.

Its nice that its Christopher Lee, but still, ugh.

Wikipedia posted:

Burton and August also worked together in creating Wilbur Wonka, Willy's domineering dentist father. Burton thought the paternal character would help explain Willy Wonka himself and that otherwise he would be "just a weird guy".

Yes, Wonka IS a weird guy. That's the point.

Fucks sake, Tim Burton.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought Prince could have pulled it off. He's acted, could certainly do the music, has the wild clothes, eccentric mannerisms and sort of owned his own musical chocolate factory with Paisley Park.

Oh god, that would have been perfect.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised that Mandalorians of his stripe consider their personal appearance a bit of a quiet hobby, considering they don't expect to show it.

We don't see enough characters shave. Someone's personal grooming is interesting to see, it says so much about them given context.

How about a Scorsese film just about shaving?

https://youtu.be/339_xkqiCLk

Warning: blood.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

*glares Orthodoxly*

*sips tea and nibbles biscuit Anglicanly*

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

He's dealing with his problems in a British way.

To quote Bill Bailey: "I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I liked how, in the Mad Max game, it turns out it was just every apocalypse kinda happening one after the other.

Oil runs out, disease spreads, global warming, the oceans vanishing, atomic war, Australians spreading out and conquering the world.

My Mad Max theory is that every Australian has a deep-seated desire to dress in outlandish costumes, however this is normally crushed beneath Australian blokey-bloke culture.

As evidence, some music acts that are super popular in Australia, relative to the rest of the world: Kiss, ABBA, the Village People.

Three days after civilization collapses, Australia is going to look like an amateur audition for a gritty Priscilla reboot.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Have you seen "The Cars That Ate Paris"? Also Directed by George Miller if I remember rightly. Cars in silly costumes.

Tut tut, Peter Weir's first feature. I know of it, but I've never seen it. Interestingly, half the cast will have been in the various Mad Max films. Or Farscape. Or both.

Edit: also VB voice over guy.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jan 5, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

8one6 posted:

Farscape, the greatest work of Australian fiction, is ample evidence of this theory.

Trying to think of counter example, but keep get stuck on The Man from Ironbark.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you ever seen TISM?

Not live, but then I'm not in the wankers club.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was wondering about how to do a third Alien movie without killing Newt, Hicks, or Bishop and how it would be hard considering it's been 6 or 7 years and while you can pretend adults aren't that much older after that much time it's going to be obvious that Newt is either a different actress or 17 years old.

Maybe it's been however long and Newt's pod malfunctioned and woke her up early, and she's been alone with the ship's AI for 7 years or something by herself trying to figure out how to wake up everyone else. It would have been a hell of an opening shot to have Ripley wake up from cryosleep and look over and have a teenager just sitting there staring at her and say "hi mom."

You could go the route of original ThunderCats and have a malfunction that keeps her asleep, but her body ages normally. Lion-O is actually younger than the kid characters and I hate my brain has wasted neurones remembering this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ways of becoming a vampire in the old folklore:
-Eating dirt from a vampires grave

Oops, I thought I was just eating regular grave dirt and now I'm the undead.

FreudianSlippers posted:

**This is mostly true for Bulgarian vampires who are also distinguished by their love of wrestling and eating poop. Usually not both at the same time.

Going from my rough memory of Bulgarian participation in the Olympics, how is this different from regular Bulgarians (and indeed, a lot of people from Eastern Europe)?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Eating poo poo tends to be frowned upon. Even in Bulgaria.

Maybe this would change if the sport didn't keep getting shafted in Olympic coverage.

Please write your local IOC representative.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The whole Maui/Moana subplot was nice enough, but I found it distracted from the main plot point, which is the importance of being shiny.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'm not a vampire, but I can't imagine what a centuries old unholy creature would see in any mortal, let alone a teenager. I mean, other than as a food bag or an egg sac.

Hanging around teenagers as a 44yo sounds tedious enough, but anyone living has got to be the teenager equivalent for a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Avaunt, food bag. Your impertinent questions are answered by the finely stitched phrase that you see on my flowing black satin cape: I am not a vampire.