Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I figured it out, it was Legend of Hell House. I got it confused because they have very similar stories. Matheson is much more misogynistic than Shirley Jackson, tho

e: House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price owns. The ending is hilariously bonkers

It's amazing, everyone should watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Song of the south is so racist america loved it enough to release it five times

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Tales of the Jedi is apparently from 93 and also name drops Sith a bunch

Star wars has been dumb for a very long time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i liked those first three, they had fun lasers and space ships and robots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know if there was ever a joke where George calls her “Sarah” or “sally” after she died because he forgot her name but there should have been.

"My late fiance, Sith Lord Darth Sidious

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

This is such a lovely, lovely prop.

Okay, the idea of a codpiece gun is entertaining, but at least make it look like something that's capable of functioning instead of something fabricated by someone who might have read a description of a revolver in a book somewhere once.

I don't like Robert Rodriguez because his movies are full of stuff like this, where's there's a funny or cool idea but the execution is cheap and lazy and fucks up the second you think about it for more than a moment

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It is insane to me that anyone likes Encanto. That movie fukkin sucks. Hey, you know that trauma you've been collectively experiencing as a family for years at the hands of one old woman? Well she's kind of sorry about it, so let's all just be cool with everything now

Also Mirabel still doesn't get powers

Everything I've heard about it makes it seem like A Bad One

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

Also is the only acceptable message now 'if your family is messy and hosed up because of generational trauma, cut them off forever'? Is forgiveness never acceptable in any story?

Forgiveness should be earned in some way instead of just handed out without any acknowledgment of the past wrongdoing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HopperUK posted:

Wasn't there a whole scene about it where they talked and came to understand each other and Abuela was sorry and they hugged? On the riverbank? Maybe I just misunderstood what was going on, I don't know. I thought it was sweet.

How would I know I have not seen it.

Rude

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Regardless of writing quality garth ennis can gently caress off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

oldpainless posted:

What would be interesting about the character of Nedry is if you removed the fact that he is

A: fat
B: messy/sloppy
C: played by Newman

There’s a good chance many people wouldn’t see him as a villain

But Wayne Knight is the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Christmas posted:

I heard they also smirked at old-fashioned Captain America being shocked by this, what with only old fuddy-duddies being shocked by incest back in the Aughts.

I think it's Wasp that thinks he's old fashioned, yeah
E:Horribly beaten, lol

Worse than I remembered TBH

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BooDooBoo posted:

The artist on that run also forgot that Ultimate Wasp wasn't Caucasian, and editorial didn't care enough to point that out.

Oh my god

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

The link on the previous page mentions that if the dad was in the SS then by law the son would have been in the Hitler Youth.

I haven't read the book since I was very young, but that article really made me go "oh wow that's a hosed up way to write about the holocaust"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Crespolini posted:

He's completely correct wrt translations though?

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas was written in english, by an english speaker and is not a translated work.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Crespolini posted:

That doesn't really matter in this context.

It does

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

That's a plot point in one of the Scott pilgrim books

I miss the place, it always had wild poo poo for sale

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I can't hate it...

Because there's no way I'm sitting through a four hour cut of a superhero movie unless the original vision for Superman is miraculously restored.

For loving real. It could be the best film of the decade and I will never loving watch four hours of cape garbage

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Mar 23, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Which is itself bad enough, as she famously wrote the first book in a cheap coffee shop while on welfare struggling to feed her kids. So she's actually a freed slave arguing that slavery is fine and that no other slaves need to be free.

Also she's a loving TERF.

She's a ladder pulling TERF and can be safely thrown into the sun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shai-Hulud posted:

Her powers always scale to the plot. Like how she can seal Black Bolts mouth shut enough for him blow up his own head but needs to fight Captain Carter hand by hand. So she can reshape reality but only a bit when it's convenient

That poo poo was super annoying

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

datajugend posted:

I never speak because its like totally dangerous but when i have no mouth i must scream.

Let's fight the baddy! By standing around waiting until they've killed several of us first

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I usually don't care that much about using licensed songs in media but I can't loving stand it when they chop it up and gently caress up the song so they can fit the opening and the chorus into a 15 second scene

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FFT posted:

She starts by recommending Event Horizon which is pretty hosed up

Also ruins his copy of her book by ripping out pages and demonstrating the most basic "wormholes as FTL travel" without even signing it when she's done

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

credburn posted:

Psychic powers are different from movie to movie but so many of them cause the same iddy biddy widdle nose bweed. My cousin has a psychic attack whenever she moves to higher elevations too quickly. It annoys me that something magical that is portrayed differently has the same rather minor consequence of a little sinus leakage.

Also can someone please figure out how to represent someone's mind being attack that doesn't involve them yelling "Get out of my head!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah there's no suggestion the infinity stones are like a monkeys paw or that they're steadfastly literal

There's not really much of a suggestion of anything at all besides snap finger thing happen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

flavor.flv posted:

Maybe you should just call them convenience stores like every other city in the loving country

Seriously

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

So do non-bodega convenience stores.

Yeah, it isn't uncommon or unique

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phy posted:

I figured it was more "Don't notice the assassins lest you be drawn into their bullshit"

"Oh jeez maybe if I don't look they won't ask me to hide a body or something, I got too much poo poo to do for that"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Don't we get enough of these blanket MCU bad statements in CD? I demand an itemized list of each specific moment that was bad so as to match the thread concept.

every moment is bad, especially if you liked it, person reading this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
E: nevermind

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

I don't care or even notice

But there were also three people with my first name in my graduating class

I was one of three matthews when i graduated high school. I was one of seven matthews when i graduated college

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

credburn posted:

I'm having a Berenstein Bears moment here

Maybe you were thinking of the Hitchhiker ghost from one of the Creepshow shorts

E: dammit, beaten

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Morpheus posted:

Sure, predictions can be defied given foreknowledge, but then that's true in real life - if you know someone is going to murder someone, and you tell them "hey don't murder that person or we will arrest you", chances are they are not going to do the murder.

What they needed to do is simply use the premonitions like any other sort of evidence in a trial for intent to murder. Emphasize rehabilitation rather than full-on life in prison as well.

And yeah, the system can be abused, but so can the regular legal system, and this one is a whole lot tougher to do. Just needed reforms, not complete cancellation. Because I bet you that, were it not for this system, the bad guy would've had a whole lot of an easier time to get away with murder.

I mean yeah if it was a different movie things would have different

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Movie Mario is that weird inbetween of realisticish and cartoony that hollywood has been into lately. Ugly af

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Captain Monkey posted:

It's weird that you keep insisting doing it utterly thoughtlessly is what this fake person who has endless water is going to do.

Like, I promise nobody is actually about to turn the Sahara desert into endless farmland. Having a ton of extra fresh water is a net good though.

I don't even remember what the initial post was about, but 'we could help Saharan farmers' seems like an okay random thought for what we could do with endless fresh water, even if nobody is busting out a detailed land management plan that conforms to your desired specifications.

Irrigating the sahara is one of those old super science plans envisioned by people that thought we'd all be flying helicopters to work and it's vaguely annoying to see it still get referenced in the current day

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mauser posted:

In Wednesday, the crime lab guy is developing photos and he puts the paper in the developer, then quickly moves it to the stop bath, then to the fixer, and then pulls it out if the final tray, all before the image appears on the paper. The image would normally appear in the developer and the other chemicals are for stopping development and preserving the print.

Speedrun strat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Keromaru5 posted:

She's also referring directly to when she reported a stalker and he, as sheriff, ignored it. The actual line is "Men like you don't know what it's like to not be believed." On that note, I'm having a difficult time believing any Addams would feel all that bad about killing somebody who came after them, especially Gomez when it's to protect Morticia. It was self-defense anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ww1crg078

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hated the song Savages even though it's got a good beat, because the natives are loving RIGHT and to show them as bad as the English invaders is loving dumb. The English literally showed up and started taking poo poo, shot at members of the tribe, killed at least one if not more, but bOtH sIdEs ArE tHe SaMe. NO they loving are not! The English literally started everything, and Kocoum attacked Smith, yes, but that was after some of the tribe had already been attacked, and he had no way of knowing Smith wasn't going to kill her too.

Pocahontas is bad movie for a lot of reasons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean every culture has walking dead of some kind. in my hometown, its a centuries long superstition that walking by the beach at night might allow strandvaskere* to ride on your back. it was felt as a heavy burden. the trick/cure was to set what you had in hand (a stick, fishing rod, etc) into the sand and say "stay here, i will come back for you tomorrow", after which the burden would go away and you could sleep "peacefully" knowing you had to go get the drowned man tomorrow, he would have washed up on the beach where you set the stick. i dont think you would have made it home if you didnt make a deal with him, but the reporting is scant on that case.

I hate it when ghosts give me a job :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

maybealabia posted:

I think some bonehead got the idea to make it look super realistic even though

1. No one asked for that
2. Most people have never been reef diving for comparison
3. It's a fantasy movie about mermaids and singing crabs not a documentary

Also real life looks more vibrant and interesting than that