Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pookel posted:

I remember this too, and my memory is suggesting that the killer had the body chopped up in sealed garbage bags in the trunk. I don't think it was Dahmer (I have a vague memory that it was someone with adult female victims). Might have been Bundy, but I thought it was someone else. I went through a phase of reading about serial killers, but it's been a long time.

The story that always stuck in my head about Bundy was about one potential victim who got away. She was a waitress, I think, and he had her in his car and wouldn't let her go. She told him "please, my 5-year-old daughter is sleeping alone at home and I don't know what she'll do if she wakes up and I'm not there," and she said something changed in his face and he stopped the car and let her out. Like he had a small moment of humanity that broke through. For some reason that makes him creepier to me than if he were straight-up evil 100% of the time. Like, somewhere inside him there was a human being, and then he did all those horrible things anyway.

Could be Ed Kemper, the Co-Ed Killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Kemper. He had a habit of driving around with dismembered bodies in his trunk, including his mother's head. I don't recall him ever being almost caught at a checkpoint though, so it may have been Bundy.

Anyway serial killers are each their own hosed up mix of disorders and past traumas, so there's no general rule to follow that will make one more likely to let you go. Some, like Dahmer, actually do have a good amount of "humanity" left, but from what I've read I don't think Bundy was one of these. He seemed like the paranoid schemer type, so I'd think its more likely he realized a woman with a kid would be reported missing much more quickly than he wanted. Who loving knows.

They say similar things about women in a rape scenario. Its impossible to know whether fighting back may cause the attacker to run off(kinda like punching a shark and making it realize there's easier prey elsewhere), or just anger him and turn things potentially deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

:monocle: you mean Satan himself didn't plant them on earth to torture us?

This actually created quite a big derail not that long ago. Some people have a really hard time with the idea that a human being will always be a human being no matter what horrible things they've done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

I thought this was the Zodiac killer but I can't seem to find anything on it

What you're probably remembering is that after Zodiac killed a cab driver, he walked away from the scene and was seen by two cops who later realized it was the killer. The reason they didn't stop and ask him questions is because the APB went out as an African American suspect. The guy the two cops saw apparently looked exactly like the sketch made by one of the victims and I believe Zodiac even referenced the cops in a letter later on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kemper was one messed up dude for sure. He literally hosed decapitated heads....including his mother's.

A famous profiler, Robert Ressler interviewed Kemper a few times. They were alone in a room together and Ressler pressed the button to summon the guard to end the interview but nobody came. When Ressler became visibly anxious Kemper said something like "You know I could break your neck and put your head on this table before anybody had a chance to get in here". Apparently that was Kemper's idea of a hilarious joke, the guard came a minute later and Kemper told Ressler he was just messing with him.

Ressler put that experience in one of his books and its been referenced a bunch of times in different t.v. shows(Criminal Minds)

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jul 22, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea like a lot of teenagers I went through a phase where I read a lot about serial killers, when I came across Kemper he was the one who finally made me say "You know what, maybe I shouldn't be reading this poo poo".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

GEE. I wonder if maybe her trying contributed to his later depravity?:allears:

Yea he definitely had some pretty hosed up connections in his brain between women and horrific violence. His most famous quote is basically describing what goes through his head when he sees an attractive woman.

"When I see a pretty girl walking down the street, I think two things: one part of me wants to take her home, be real nice and treat her right; the other part wonders what her head would look like on a stick."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

So people have been making noise lately that Sandra Bland, that lady in Texas who died in custody, may actually have been dead in her mugshot:

http://www.hiphophangover.com/sandra-bland-was-already-dead-during-this-mugshot/

Personally, yeah I think it looks weird but it's a mug shot, they all look weird.

Well I guess they did a good enough job to fool me, because I think it looks like any other mug shot. She's got kind of a listless expression on her face but she's been through a traumatic experience; I've seen that look on plenty of faces in mug shots.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems like that ferryman saved a bunch of lives by suspending the ferry service. A lot of other people may have just said gently caress it I'm here to do a job and kept going but his caution paid off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I have a pretty strong stomach but even I knew I couldn't make it all the way through. I had to pause it right after the point where the metal panel fell through and she pushed her son away. The video has kindly been edited with frequent pauses to let you know what's coming next, but I'm still surprised it was made available on CNN, front-and-center on the page.

From what I did see, it's not gory but it is terrifying.

A situation like that has to be so surreal and just baffling, I'm not sure the human brain even has time to process poo poo like that. Like, she's about to fall through and she's clinging to the edge, but there's no way it would even occur to me in that moment that I was in mortal danger. Then a second later she's in there I assume being all ground up in the machinery and its all over with. Life is bullshit man.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Not to cheapen it at all, but it looks less like she saved her son and more like he was already in a safe place. Every escalator I've ever seen has an emergency stop button near the top and bottom. Wonder if that would have made a difference.

I'm not sure, he's standing in a spot where it really could have gone either way considering they were holding hands at the time. She easily could have instinctively dragged him down too, or he could have stumbled back really easily with just one false step. I think there's a good shot she saved his life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have no idea if this was actually a true opinion held by the real Ted Bundy, but after he got brought up the other day I watched Riverman, where Bundy is played by Cary Elwes.

Anyway in the film he talks about how he doesn't respect some killers(in this case the Green River Killer) because they have no "moves", and therefore only go after prostitutes who will get in their car regardless of their social ineptness. Bundy thought he was above those guys because he could talk regular college girls into his car.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Grim Sleeper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper got away with killing prostitutes for like 20 years. He was only caught because of a combination of DNA techniques improving and having a petty criminal son(Lonnie Franklin himself was not in the database).

He got his nickname because people thought he had stopped killing for a period of about 14 years, but really most experts think he was just using his job as a garbage truck driver to dump the bodies in the landfill. So there's an indeterminate number of women who were wiped from existence(quite literally, its like they never existed) because nobody gave a poo poo to look for them or even know they were missing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One serial killer story that I always found fascinating. I can't remember who it was but I saw this on like a special or something. The guy was a serial killer, living at home, and his father found a locked box under his bed or something. He said he waited for his son to come home and he was going to confront him with the box, thinking it was like drugs or something. The guy came home, and knew immediately that it was some severed body part in the box and refused to open it. His father said that he just got really mad and took the box and left. When he came back the son apologized and I think admitted that it was drugs or something in the box and the father never thought anything about it until after his son was found and I think his son finally told him what was in that box. The father seemed so distraught over the fact that he could have found out early on what was really going on and it was so close but he never saw what was in the box.

There's a pretty soul-crushing interview that was done with Dahmer and his father in prison only a year or two before he was killed. The father trying to figure out what he could have done differently and Dahmer constantly trying to make the point that he made his own hosed-up choices in life and that the father isn't at fault.

Maybe that's why the Dahmer case is so sad. It feels like, compared to a lot of other cases, there were so many opportunities for Dahmer's life to go another way and all those people would still be alive. He had people in his life that cared about him and would have tried to get him the help he needed but instead he chose to keep everything a secret, and it all built up into something horrific.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not really going to beat myself up over the Berenstain Bears thing. I was like 6 years old when I read those books and I'm Jewish so I know a bunch of Bernsteins in real life. Its not some great mystery that I thought it was spelled differently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

They still support her? What the gently caress? Maybe she wasn't lying when she claimed the family wouldn't care

Its probably just ignorance, the trauma of losing their son in such a horrific way, and the instinct to make sense of it all that might make them feel that way for now. Its probably easier to accept that the girl stupidly thought she was using reverse psychology or something than the real truth that their son had been dating someone who, for whatever hosed up reason, wanted him dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its pretty unnerving that the Golden kid from the school shooting was caught trying to buy a concealed handgun permit in 2008. God only knows what he gets up to these days.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know this is kinda unorthodox for this thread but I got kinda sick to my stomach and really bummed out when I watched that video so I looked up a compilation of people being kickass real-life heroes and it made me feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYrIi_Mt8A

There's a few with people falling and I assume getting hurt but they all have a happy ending!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not linking to it but the guy did in fact take a video of the shooting and nobody should watch it. I don't know why I do this to myself, I guess morbid curiosity gets the better of me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Apparently the guy shot himself but didn't die and is now in critical condition. I saw the first video tweeted before I realized what it was and watched it. I've felt sick all day. Goddamn that's horrifying.

I've felt nauseas for hours now, it just won't go away. Doesn't help that I go for walk and stop in a bagel shop and the story is getting nonstop coverage on the t.v. in there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

loving human beings, man.

"People who deal with death every day seem very mal-adjusted for some reason... I wonder if I should watch two people die right before my eyes!"

"gently caress I WATCHED TWO PEOPLE DIE FROM WHAT I KNEW WOULD BE A TERRIBLE POV. I FEEL SO NAUSEOUS AND A-BLOO-BLOO-BLOO."

Literally in the thread where we discuss horrible broken people and their disregard for life and death, people keep wondering what happens if they watch enough death.

Ftfy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

darkwasthenight posted:

The other wrestlers clearly know something is up because Rey pulls his kick over the guy's head when he's still on the ropes and hasn't gone all the way down. They quickly go for a finish so they can get him off without making it too obvious, but guessing they didn't realise how bad he was hurt. No idea what the gently caress the bald guy thought he was doing though.

I don't think they would have guessed he would have had a spinal injury based on what happened in the match, its not like he got dropped on is head or anything. At first they probably just thought he got knocked out or had a concussion, which happens all the time, and wrestlers are usually able to at least improvise a quick finish to the match when it happens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've known about the Rosemary Kennedy thing for years, I didn't realize a book needed to be written to expose all that. I know Howard Stern's been talking about it on his show for a long time, he loves to poo poo on the Kennedys.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Many people seem to have a misconception about what "mental illness" means in the context of the justice system. For the most part mental illness' are treated like any other illness.

For instance, a man who thinks that the neighbors dog is talking to him and commanding him to kill is certainly mentally ill. Yet he still knows that the act of killing someone is illegal, and he understands that the people he kills are real people and not in fact a figment of his imagination or some sort of dream. Although the man is of course evaluated psychiatrically after his arrest, he still goes to prison for six consecutive life terms.

This has come up before when people talk about the Dahmer story. Was Dahmer mentally ill at the time of his arrest? Is a man who is so desperate for a companion that he tries to create living "zombies" mentally ill? There are reasons why maybe its understandable to feel sympathy for someone like Dahmer(I do), but that doesn't change the fact that he needed to be locked away from society for the rest of his life. Many times people aren't able to separate those two things in their mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of these incidents at least in America, aren't even about the sports teams themselves. Its about drunk macho alpha male types who can't let even the smallest insult slide. Its never the specific comment about the team that starts the fight, its the "go gently caress yourself" response that always kicks things off because some guys just can't walk away when someone says certain magic words. Alcohol is a major factor, in my opinion it shouldn't be served at large sporting events, or there should be some way to limit people to 2 or 3 drinks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Of course the real answer is that beer companies are major sponsors of these leagues, and also the owners of the teams/stadiums would never want to cut out a major stream of revenue by banning alcohol.

But it could be done fairly easily, especially in a pro sport, or on any college campus where the football team is nationally known and successful. These programs rake in millions upon millions every year, it really wouldn't be that burdensome to institute a policy of no tailgating/drinking on campus and hiring security to patrol and kick people off the property if they violate the rules. But then I suppose the whole enterprise would implode because half the people attending these games wouldn't be there if they couldn't drink.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea its a very tough thing to get your head around, the idea of being in such a packed group of people that you literally can't expand your lungs to breathe. All I can do is imagine my own experiences at certain concerts where I was uncomfortable and maybe a little overheated because of the crowd, but its just not even the same ballpark, its apples and oranges.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

And if you've forgotten the kid in the car, and if he's in a rear carseat, you don't necessarily see him if you reach into the driver's seat, and you don't check to see if he's in there because so far as you know there's no reason for him to be there. Seriously, big Pulitzer-winning article about how a rush to condemn people in such an awful circumstances is probably not the right thing to do, just up the page a bit.

Its hard to tell if the cops are just trying to make sure nothing gets released that could taint the jury pool, or if that internet search rumor was actually bullshit. Because I'd think it could be a pretty quick trial if he did in fact search for "how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car". That's pretty much all I'd need to hear to convict.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

drat, I better hope I never get arrested for serial killing because I've went to serial killer websites linked from this very forum.

Totally the same thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

It can be argued as incidental by any lawyer worth their salt so shouldn't be a "smoking gun" that some dude did a search on his computer once. I mean seriously. This shouldn't be "all the evidence I'd need" to convict a guy of murder.

When that search occurs shortly before your child dies in that exact manner, its absolutely a smoking gun. Sure, it "can" be argued as incidental by a lawyer, and I'm sure it would be. I'd still vote to convict.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depends on when he did the search. If he did it 9 months before the child died then maybe you can have some reasonable doubt that it was just a coincidence. If he did it the day before or the week before then I really find it difficult to believe the two things aren't connected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Grieving parents would rather be able to attach blame to a specific(even if unknown) person than have to live with the fact that sometimes horrifically tragic things happen for no other reason than bad luck or clumsiness. And when a person is found in the water and a definitive cause of death is impossible because they've been in there too long, that only helps support the family's belief that something more happened than a simple drowning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The person who wrote that poo poo article didn't mention being connected to any of the deceased. Was I not reading closely enough? :confused:

Nah, I wasn't referring to the guy who wrote the article. But I've read interviews with parents of a few of these drowning victims and they understandably latch onto any sliver of a possibility that their son didn't just drunkenly slip and fall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

Could you even imagine having the presence of mind to stay rational enough to make that decision? I fear I wouldn't be able to claw out of the animalistic depths of terror i'd be drowning in (not to mention the ash) before having the clarity to realize my eminent demise and safeguard some value in my death.

I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to even realize I didn't have a chance. I'd have just took off running in the opposite direction until I couldn't run anymore or the ash overtook me(within about 5 minutes I'm sure).

Its easy to glance at those pictures and miss the scale of what's happening. Then you see the road, and follow it back to the tree-line, and you realize just how huge that cloud is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell? How would anyone get "stuck" on a dick if someone died? Do....do spikes shoot out of my penis when I die?

Its a legit medical condition that doesn't happen specifically when someone dies. It may have been the extreme stress and shock of the situation that caused it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dylanthulhu posted:

edit to avoid double posting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_Boys is an article I found in the "Unsolved Mass Murders" category on wikipedia. Five South Korean boys aged 9-13 go off to catch frogs on election day in 1991. They're reported missing. The area is searched over 500 times. At one point "300,000 police officers" are sent to look for them. (Holy poo poo, Korea.) The bodies are found close to their homes in an already-searched area eleven years later by a man searching for acorns. Some of their clothes are knotted and the police try to say they wandered off, got lost, and died of hypothermia. Forensics showed all but one died of multiple blows to the head. The other boy was killed with a shotgun.

The craziest thing about this is that the statute of limitations(for quintuple murder!) ran out after only like fifteen years, so someone could literally confess to the crime without fear of prosecution. For brutally murdering five children. What the hell?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Whats the logic behind having a statute of limitations on murder? Is it that its super rare to convict someone so far after the fact? Because I seem to rememeber not too long ago a murder being solved after like 40 years or something because of DNA testing.

Maybe the thinking is that any evidence discovered 30 or 40 years after the fact is unreliable. Even a confession I guess? Who knows, I'm struggling to figure that one out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

I'm guessing they just have a general statute of limitations for all crimes and simply haven't made an exception for murder, perhaps because having one for murder means you get pressure to have a different one for aggravated assault, and if you have one for that you have to answer why you don't have one for rape and so on.

Ah yes, a slippery slope argument. Those are always the best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I end up reading that thread again every time its brought up and it never gets any less ridiculous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lets not have the derail that is coming up on the horizon please. I just got unbanned.

Damnit, and I had a sick burn for that guy who is fine with mentally ill psychotics being put to death. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I meant the "Hey lady the man who killed your daughter was actually mentally ill and thought she was a demon" part. I don't think he should be executed for it if he is, and don't approve of the hotheads who aren't even directly affected by this lobbying for his death, but at the same time the girl is dead either way and I don't think it matters a whole lot to the mother what was going through the dude's head at the time.

Nobody said that the mother should feel anything about anything. It would be totally natural and understandable for her to want to see the guy executed. Doesn't mean its the right thing to do though.