Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GTi_guy posted:

Just bought a new house for the family.

Backs right onto the local conservation area and escarpment, so I'll never have neighbors looking in my back window.

That house looks sweet, congrats. The garage doors look out of place to me, though, because of the color - I think they would look great if you matched them to the off white window shutters down the line some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GTi_guy posted:

Thanks! The entire garage, inside and out, is getting renovated and finished this summer.

:getin:

Finished garages are awesome - it can then be a true year-round mancave of awesomeness.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

This is excellent.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lilleput posted:

The Rancilio Silvia is probably the cheapest espresso machine, that is recommendable

We've got a Breville Duo-Temp thermoblock machine for a wedding present, and it's not terrible. It's certainly not café quality, and I wouldn't want to drink it straight, but it makes perfectly acceptable lattes for the morning commute. That Rancilio just got added to my Amazon wish list, though... That would be a lovely upgrade.

On topic, bought some flowers for my mom and a tomato plant for the porch.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

As awesome as that watch is, yeah, you sound have done that a bit differently. Even if you just bump up to a Suit Supply suit. They are 500-1k, but if you got an Omega that shouldn't be too hard to swing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The Aviator:

For this avian:

That face :3:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I got a subscription to Spotify Premium, and I'm enjoying it very much so far. Between that and Netflix, all my free time now has background noise. My Denon receiver has a Spotify app, so I can easily have it play cool music at any time. My phone can now save albums or playlists for offline listening, so I can listen on my drive to work without using data or losing a streaming connection in the many spots on the drive with no data signal.

For music nerds, I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's much better than Pandora.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:circlefap:

Such a nice looking car.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

burnsep posted:

Could you go into a bit more depth?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

That's the first proper case I've seen for them, looks good. I haven't looked into them for months, waiting for more accessories and cases and such.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

It's a Trilby, you plebe.

advion posted:

I just bought these to go with my CSP v2s and eventual H/SQ Shifter.

Fanatec CSW

What rim(s) did you get? I'd love a new wheel, but I need a shifter and better pedals first. A load cell brake pedal would be so nice, and the pedal vibration under lockup would be much more helpful than wheel vibration under lockup.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

advion posted:

Got the Formula Rim for now. I want to see what else Fanatec puts out if anything. I'll probably just get the wheel hub next.

I highly recommend getting the CSPv2 pedals they are amazing.

They look like such an improvement over my CSRs. My CSR wheel is still just fine, except I wish the force feedback had some more balls. First on the list, though, is a shifter. I'm staying away from the CSR shifter, since it looks like a toddler's toy. Hopefully I can save up for both by this Thanksgiving, so I can race the poo poo out of them this winter.

Also, don't buy Fossil watches either. They are better than Armani, but only because you are only kinda getting ripped off instead of completely getting ripped off. If you don't want a snooty(kickass) mechanical watch, just get a Timex, Seiko quartz, or even a Citizen Eco-Drive if you want a really well made watch for normal people. Their batteries will last forever and a day, and will be easier to replace. My old Pulsar goes through a battery every two years or less - one of the reasons I went mechanical.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

My liquor stock was getting dangerously low. I only had a half-full bottle of Bombay Sapphire, and I didn't feel like drinking Christmas tree water tonight, so I grabbed this on the way home:

Please don't shame me - I drink it mixed with a little Diet Coke to cut the edge.

Cut it with ginger ale. Gives it some fizz and softens the bite, without hiding the delicious taste. Or learn how to make a proper Old Fashioned.

I didn't buy it, but my parents bought some horseshoes and never opened the box. I took them home and played two games with my wife (and won both games :clint:) We live a block from a park with horseshoe pits, so hopefully we will pay a lot this summer.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

axia posted:

After debating what bike to buy for months and months, my wife made up my mind for me and surprised me with this bad boy:

Trek Remedy 9

I never want to be off of it!

This is great. You are great. Your wife is great. Please introduce your wife to mine so I can get a surprise bike also.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Two new pairs of shoes - Adidas Busenitz. I wanted a set of gray shoes similar to my red Sambas (also pictured) and they had a sale, so I got two. The gum soles will be in regular rotation with the Sambas, and the white soles will be for non-work occasions when I want a light colored summer shoe.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Those grey ones are my dream shoes. Where'd you get them?

Zumiez, 70 bucks for dark gray and 25 for the lights (Yay sales). I looked everywhere I could, and the only place I could find Adidas soccer style shoes in a non-black colorway was Zumiez. Other places had Samoas, but I don't like the way they fit. I wanted to try Dragons, but couldn't find any. Also, I can't understand why Asics Onitsuka Tigers are so recommended, I didn't like them :shrug:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Yup, that's them. They were 5 bucks cheaper in store before the sale also.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

My first foray into clipless pedals:

Clipless pedals are excellent, especially ones with a built in platform like those. I will now only ride clipless unless I am doing jumps - the security of being attached to the bike has really helped my riding speed. You can still get accidentally unclipped if you strike a rock or root or something, though...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

From my understanding, the previous version of clip-in pedals had that firm rubber cage around the toe. This cage is what prevented your foot from coming off the pedals. This modern design does away with this clip cage, and is therefore clipless.

E:

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Jul 6, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rockcity posted:

Found a pretty good deal on a barely used Rancilio Silvia espresso machine on Craigslist yesterday so I made a spur of the moment decision to upgrade from my Gaggia.

The guy selling it runs a few coffee carts and bought it for home use, but ended up getting a deal very soon after on a larger unit so he was looking to see this one. He's used it only three times and he had both the single and double spout portafilters for it. Around $750 in equipment that I picked up for $400. I'm pretty satisfied.

That's totally worth 4 bills, nice find. Our machine was almost that much, and yours will certainly make better froo-froo lattes than ours can :tipshat:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lenovo T440s with a solid state drive and extended battery. This battery is ridiculous. I have no doubt that it could last over 12 hours on a full charge with standard use.

Well, I didn't actually buy this one since I got it from my new job as a work computer (and therefore can't install stuff on it) but my wife likes it and needs a new laptop... so we'll probably be buying one when the right deal comes along.

I did get to expense a laptop bag from Staples, so I kinda bought stuff?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Found a record today.

:stare:

I just dropped a hundred bucks at a tailor to make some shirts and a jacket look better, I get to pick them up in two weeks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

widefault posted:

I bought a box.

For what purpose does one get such a box?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Daimo posted:

Shame, it would make a lovely whisky glass.

Agreed. It's a sweet vase, but it would be a bitchin' glass.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

McKilligan posted:

2 grand well spent.

Nice. How long did it take to plan it out?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Trillest Parrot posted:

tc electronic RS212 bass cabinet to go with my 210 and fatten up the low end. This is my setup now (not my pic, but the same gear), which is about 150lbs. lighter and a lot smaller than my piecemeal gear from Craigslist. And just in time for a gig!

Modular cabs are the best. I love my 2x12 fullrange, but it is the size of a 6x10 and doesn't fit in my car alongside my upright. I'm deciding what to build next: another front facing horn loaded 1x10 to match my current little cab, or a horn loaded 10“ subwoofer to stack with it. Either one will be much more portable, with drat near the same output of the behemoth cab.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

plus they are are pretty super ugly.

FTFY

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Sorry brah, but that's not a good looking watch - especially to wear with a suit. A Timex Weekender with a leather strap actually has a readable face, classy styling with plenty of color options, and a price tag that reflects a realistic value.

Back on topic, I just bought a BMT from Subway, and it was delicious.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

beanieson posted:

New Bike repair stand Day :kiddo:

That's a sick colorway on that Cannondale, super cool. Something about loud colors on bikes makes me fuzzy inside.

I got a Joe Blow floor pump because my lovely electric pump finally died, and these Beckmans because one pair of Red Wings isn't enough. They were a great price so I won't feel bad about wearing them through the snow.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Geoj posted:

I'd suggest a pair of overshoes, or else religiously treat the soles with mink oil. The original soles on my Beckmans fell apart after two winters of wearing them in the snow.

I tried overshoes with my Iron Rangers, wasn't a fan at all. I've got mink oil, I guess I'll just have to apply it much more often than I would otherwise. I got them for a hundred bucks, though, so two seasons still wouldn't be awful before re-soling if it really comes to that.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

Picked up a deal for 3 months of audible for $6 (3 books) so I could get The Great Courses titles, which are massive and pricey.

48 45min lectures. The professor is surprisingly funny which is nice.

Next two months will be the courses in ancient Rome and Egypt. Good poo poo for history geeks, and people needing something for the gym or long work commutes.

Link to coupon stuff if possible? That's a fantastic deal. I'm almost done with a sixty hour audiobook on the Third Reich and that sounds like a great thing to add to my collection. I check out audiobooks from Overdrive but it would be nice to have my own copy of some, and not have to wait in line for the good stuff.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7338342-audible-three-month-membership-1-95-month-6

People who already have an Audible account can still do the deal.

Also you can get a NY Times and Wall Street Journal audio sub free with it as well.

Excellent, thanks!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

The coupon worked for me, and I already had an account... But I cancelled my subscription a while ago. Maybe it won't work for an account that is still active?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

drat that's a good price for a neck-thru bass from a good maker. Don't skimp on the luthier work, if they mess up the fingerboard or create a dead spot it will be a pain in the rear end to fix.

E: make sure you post updates in the Bass thread in Musician's Lounge. I can't be the only one who would like to do a similar project myself.

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Nov 20, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Because my wife wanted a jersey for Christmas and Matthews is a beast.

Because I wanted a bracelet to dress down my Jazzmaster, and RobAwesome and the rest of the watch thread would have an aneurysm if I put it on a NATO.

E: Whoops, timg

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

sassassin posted:

You know this means he's allowed to gently caress her now, right?

He's too busy beating away Pitch Perfect fangirls with a broom since that movie trailer dropped last week.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Red Wing Iron Ranger (picture from GIS)

Always wanted a pair but never got around to getting it.. But I'm on holiday in Paris where its raining all the time and Clark DBs are letting in water like a sieve so I bought one on impulse in the first shop I found which carried one. $60 more than Amazon's price :smithicide:

Good choice. The break in sucks, but not nearly as much as Beckmans... I thought my IR break in was pretty uncomfortable, but my Beckmans were straight up awful for a month.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I'd ask what you use it for, but you would just reply, "cut vinyl."

It's for making vinyl decals to stick to poo poo, making signs, etc. We have one at work for making display-sized signs for company events, direction and safety signage in the warehouse, that sort of thing.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Two matching Dell IPS monitors, monitor mounts, mouse pad, and various cables to upgrade to a triple-monitor sim setup. A few years down the road, after my next computer build, I'll get a nice center monitor so I have good color reproduction all the way across... but this old TN monitor is responsive so it's staying for now. The left monitor is still on a stand because I occasionally use it on the desk with my work laptop and that won't work if it's mounted to my sim rig :v:

A bunch of books, almost all from the library book sale. Paperbacks were a buck, hardcovers were two. I think there are only three books on this shelf that weren't from the library sale.

E: Yup, the three on the right weren't from the sale, but the crochet books for my wife aren't on this shelf so it almost evens out

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

You should do a full PVC roll cage to complete the feel of it.

Thought about it, actually. This one splits in two with a few seconds of work with a drill - unscrew the fasteners for the two pipes in front of the seat and the angled bracing pipe, and it can be carried in two trips (sans monitors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

LTBS posted:

DSW sale and I make bad shoe choices

Cole Haan (and I have the same ones in British Tan... needed some new black shoes)

Adidas for walking around the city.

Adidas good, Cole Haans baaaaad