Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought some comics this morning :)

Comixology is having a sale through tomorrow on Godzilla comics if anyone else is interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I bought a bird with my boyfriend :kimchi:

This is Zero, a green cheek conure, 8 weeks old, really skittish about potentially being touched (but is totally fine when you're actually touching him?? I have a feeling I'll be posting in PI a lot). The cage we bought him won't arrive until tomorrow or Thursday so we won't actually be able to bring him home officially until then.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I finally got my hands on the new Vita model in this bundle:

Also Danganronpa and Persona 4 Golden for it, neither of which I know anything about (and can't bother finding pictures for) but people won't stop talking about them so they are probably pretty good.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I am buying around $1300 worth of dental work over the next few weeks.

Here are some x-rays I've already paid for.

For the love of god, people, floss.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I bought a Moto 360 a few days ago and I should get it by end of day today. I got an open-box one for forty bucks off the original price. I'm crossing my fingers that it was simply returned because someone changed their mind and wasn't a display model because I'm pretty sure the batteries in those are totally shot from charging literally all the time.

Whatever the case, even though the insides are a little less powerful than other models, the 360 is the most attractive smartwatch out right now imo.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm fairly certain being on the charger all the time has no affect on battery cycles.

Is that so? That used to not be the case -- if your device was plugged in beyond being fully charged for too long it damaged the battery -- but perhaps I'm just not up-to-date on how battery technology has changed :blush: I guess those fears from days long past are still with me!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just ordered a Surface Pro 3 plus the keyboard (mine is purple) and a case. Got a big discount through my boyfriend's company. He should be getting one soon too to test out for use for his team at work.

I'm very excited. I don't have a laptop or a tablet anymore, so being able to do stuff on the go again will be great. Also: drawing! Waiting 3-7 days for it to ship to me is going to be agony.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

beato posted:

How are they for drawing?

I've only ever run Photoshop CC on it, but it runs like a dream and the pen pressure is very nice even if it doesn't quite compare to what a Wacom product offers (I had to do some tweaking; the Windows App Store has a program that's just called 'Surface' that will let you mess with the pressure sensitivity). All of my brush presets imported and work fine with the included pen. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the actual surface of the device. Since it's made of glass it's very slick, quite unlike what I'm used to with my Cintiq 21X, but I've read that you can fix this by getting a screen protector to dull things down a little. I'm still looking into which one is the most recommended for this purpose. Even without, I'm sure that with enough time I'd get used to it.

This is a good resource if you're interested.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Mar 3, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Because I'm a huge lame nerd:

They're the same shoes worn by Black Widow in like a five minute sequence where she and Cap are undercover at a mall in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The reviews all say they're super comfy too and, hey, I need some sneakers that don't suck.

EDIT: I've been informed that I am wrong. Serves me right for not fact-checking :saddowns:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Mar 31, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Aw, boo. Another site told me bad information :( I guess I should have looked into it a little more now that the movie isn't brand new and people actually know what they're talking about... They've been sitting on my wishlist for ages. Oh well, I still like them just fine.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I got an electric goose neck kettle...

... and a 3-cup Chambrod French press with a pound of Death Wish coffee to go with it.

babby's first grown up coffee making :blush:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

colas posted:

Death Wish Coffee... that poo poo is potent.

I think the same Co. makes Vahalla.

They do. I thought about picking it up as well but they had a bundle for Death Wish with the press that I wanted to get any way and I don't need two coffees that are going to kick my rear end.

I just need to learn where I can get good beans now. All I have near me is a Kroger and a Starbucks :( Any goon brands I should check out?

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I bought a cute little mirrorless camera. I love my DSLR but man it's big and inconvenient to carry around. Wanted something a little nicer than my phone on hand.

The Samsung NX3000. I got a really good deal at my local Best Buy.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Got a giant mug tankard for probably coffee and other hot drinks. There are only 1500 of them in the world!

I don't care about that though, I just think it's cool v:shobon:v

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I picked up the Razer Tartarus for use with my Surface for digital art.

Trying to use the Surface's keyboard cover for shortcuts while using the pen to draw is loving impossible, especially if you like to draw with the screen laying flat like I do. I just bound my keyboard shortcuts to this thing and all of my problems went away. It's super comfortable and hitting the keys is very satisfying. It looks stupid but it works like a dream.

Plus I got a referb for like thirty bucks. I have zero complaints. I guess I'll probably try to use it for actual gaming at some point too.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 2, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
edit: ugh double post

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Oh man, that's a good idea, if not extremely nerdy. I've been eyeballing a Surface 3 for drawing on the train and slow times at work. Is it really nice or just an adequate substitute?

I own a Cintiq 21X also, so I can say that it is actually very nice. It doesn't have over 2000 levels of pressure like the Cintiq, but it is not as huge of a difference as you'd think. I use Photoshop, mainly, for drawing and I had to tweak that a little bit to get it to play nice. By default it's zoomed out so much because of the screen resolution that it's impossible to hit any of the little icons, but turning on 200% zoom mode in the experimental settings fixed that just fine. You can download an app from the Windows Store (simply called 'Surface') to tweak the pressure settings more to your liking since the defaults aren't great. But once you get things how you like them, it's honestly very pleasing to use for art.

The thing I'd very highly recommend is also getting a screen protector for it, not because the screen is fragile, but because it's made of glass and is very slippery to draw on. When I first got the Surface I thought this was going to be a deal breaker, it felt so wrong to draw on and it was so slick and shiny and ughhh, but I got this matte screen protector and that fixed all of my issues. It makes the screen a little more grippy like what you'd feel on a Cintiq and it eliminates glare so you can actually see what you're doing. I don't know how anyone goes on using their Surface day to day without one of these.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with it and I paid less than half of what a Cintiq Companion with comparable specs costs. This website is a good resource if you want to read more about it.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

App13 posted:

How do you go about calibrating the pen? I have a surface pro 2, and calibration had been a significant issue for me with one note

There's a wizard for setting this up in the system settings, which I did once to calibrate the pen when I first set things up, and I haven't had to do it since. It worked just fine for me. I'm pretty sure the Surface app I mentioned in my last post also does this if you want to check it out -- it might give you more options if you're not satisfied with the way your pen feels. (I'm at work or I would check for sure if this is the case.)

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jun 2, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just picked up the newest Persona game, Persona Q. I got the premium edition because right now on Amazon it's cheaper than the standard one.

click for big

(Amazon link)

It actually arrived yesterday but I left my 3DS at work so I haven't been able to play it yet :(

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

blarzgh posted:

They suck rear end - I'm returning them. To stay on, they have to squeeze your head like The Mountain. Even then, they don't stay on all that great, and the sound quality is nothing near what the price would suggest.

I got these a few years ago for about the same scenario as what you described and I 100% agree. Can't wear them for more than 20 minutes without getting a massive headache, the sound quality is poor, and noise cancelling is almost nonexistent. I was in denial about what a lovely purchase it was for long enough that I was unable to return them, but at least you can still get your money back. Do not buy these, guys :(

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just bought my first new car :shobon:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

strangemusic posted:

That being said, if it is lavender... :3:

It's lavender. :D

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just bought this Batman bundle, not because I care about Batman, but because I got a good deal on it for Amazon's Prime Day. It comes with The Witcher 3 too I guess.

... but really I just got it so I can play Metal Gear Solid V on a huge TV in all of its glory :getin:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Eternal Hobo posted:

I got this bundle too, but am I crazy or did it include a PS+ card too? I thought the image showed it but I can't find anything about it being included in my order details.

Late on the reply here, but it does come with a free year of PS+ and it's in the form of a digital code they're going to email you, not a card iirc. You'll probably see it when your order ships (mine hasn't yet so I can't confirm 100%).

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Please post a trip report after you've gotten a feel for it. I'm torn between this and the Sony Xperia z5 Premium (this doesn't launch until November but I held a z3 in a store and loved it) and I seriously can't choose after seeing the stuff at the Google Nexus Event :(

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Been watching Danaru's thread on it and couldn't help myself.

I own this game for every platform it has ever come out on and this one was my least favourite. The 3D is mediocre at best and the controls are pretty uncomfortable unless you have the Circle Pad Pro attachment, then I guess it's tolerable. I'd recommend getting the HD collection on the PS3 instead, or the one for Vita if you need it to be portable.

Whatever you decide you're in for a treat :shobon:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Coca Koala posted:

This isn't really a huge spoiler if you know anything at all about Snake and Big Boss, but isn't it the case that when Snake loses an eye, they ditch the 3d effect when you go into first person mode? I feel like the 3ds version of the game holds a special place in my heart just because of that, although I've never played it.

Agreed that you're in for a treat, though; MGS3 is one of my all time favourite games.

After a little while (before the point in the game you mentioned) I turned the 3D off since I didn't think it added anything to my experience but this is a very neat detail if it's true :) I'll have to try this out soon.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Got this jacket after reading about it either here or in the recommendation thread:

Arcteryx Atom LT

I also picked up the Nexus 6P 64gb in black. Hopefully it will come soon.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I've been rocking the OG Pebble since its Kickstarter campaign (very briefly gave the Moto 360 a go but switched back within a few months), and now I'm upgrading to the newest model that isn't so ugly. From Best Buy:

Getting the silver/tan one on the far left. I really wanted to get the mesh band to go with it, but those are exclusives on Pebble.com and those aren't on sale. I'd rather have the price cut now and try to buy the strap I want later.

edit: Just bought my boyfriend this for Christmas

Little over a foot tall and super detailed.
Can't wait to see his face :)

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Nov 23, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Placed an order for the Duo Coffee Steeper.

I have a French press right now and it makes fine coffee, but there are a few things I'm not crazy about with it and I'm hoping this will solve all my issues. Got one of their nice mugs for free with a coupon code too, plus an additional basket for brewing loose leaf tea. Very excited for it to arrive!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

I've heard good things, and the physical copy is $5 off on Amazon.

You will not regret it. I had a great time with this on my 3DS and PS Vita. With the free DLC out now there's a lot of replay value too :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I absolutely hate being cold. I'm always chilly when everyone else seems okay and it's getting to the point where I basically have to wear a coat in my office building to not be uncomfortable so I broke down and ordered a internally heated hoodie.

I couldn't find my size (small) that also came with a battery in black or gray like I wanted (those don't have the big logo across the chest), but with enough poking around I eventually found a red one at Home Depot. I should get it by the middle of next week. So excited to not be freezing all the time :3:

Milwaukee is having a promotion right now too so if I submit proof of purchase I can get a free additional battery.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

melon cat posted:

I was considering this exact same sweater for myself since I have a long, cold walk to the office. How long has the battery lasted on a single charge with this sweater?

I don't actually have it yet (should be delivered today actually), but when I was doing a little research into the quality I read that you can get about 6 hours of heat on the lowest setting on a single charge. I also read that the battery charges pretty quickly so you never have to go without for very long. If you buy one between now and the end of February and submit your proof of purchase using the rebate form (link) you can get a free extra battery so you don't ever have to be cold again :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

What do the six smaller ones do?

They're loose leaf tea steepers, I believe.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Is there a LASIK thread? I took a look through the first few pages of TGD and YLLS and didn't see one. I've had a few friends who have had it done, my boyfriend had it done yesterday, and I'd be very interested to read about other people's experiences with it as well. I'd love to not have to wear glasses anymore but the whole idea of it scares the poo poo out of me.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I stopped being a weenie and finally scheduled a procedure to get LASIK here next Thursday. Their website looks terrible but they're the best in this part of the country. I had my consultation this past Monday and was told that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and also found out that the prescription I've had for glasses and contacts is about two whole points weaker than what I really need so I've actually been seeing like poo poo for a long time and had no idea :doh:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Mar 17, 2016

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
After much debate, I've upgraded to a Kindle Voyage.

I'm very happy with it so far, and being able to pay it off in more manageable pieces definitely helps (I think this is a Prime perk?). I got the natural leather origami case for it too and love the feel of it. Nice and sturdy for reading hands-free. Now to find someone who will buy my old one (Paperwhite) off me...

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Opioid posted:

I've got a paperwhite as well. What do you like about the voyage over paperwhite?

Honestly my original reason for wanting to switch is pretty stupid - I liked the fact that the Voyage's screen is flush with the bezel. I always had issues keeping the space where the screen meets the bezel on the Paperwhite free of dust and fuzzes even though it has always been kept in a case and it bugged me. Definitely satisfied as far as that goes. I've been using it for a few days and while I didn't think I'd care about it when I was still considering the purchase, I've come to really love the PagePress buttons on the sides of the screen. You just kinda squeeze the edge and the page turns, giving a tiny bit of haptic feedback to let you know you've squeezed hard enough. I like using that way more than swiping the screen.

Seems more responsive and feels a lot nicer in hand since it's not made of plastic (this is magnesium and a non-glare glass). The text also seems crisper on the Voyage than on the Paperwhite.

I didn't need to upgrade, but I'm very pleased that I did.

Josh Lyman posted:

I might be interested in the paper white if you can convince me I'd use it. I don't have an e-reader and just read the forums in bed on my iPhone.

I guess it's just a matter of how much you read whether it'd be useful to you or not. I definitely notice that I don't get the eye strain using it that I do reading things on a computer or tablet, so if you read a lot this is a bonus for sure. You can carry tons of books around, check out books from your local library with it (disclaimer: this does require a computer, you can't do it directly from the device), and even send articles to it for reading later with a service like Readability or Pocket. The battery lasts forever too, like a month, so you don't really have to worry about your battery level like you would on a phone or tablet.

It's just personal taste, I guess. My boyfriend reads way more than I do and I can't sell him on it even though I absolutely love mine.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

If you couldn't afford to pay $200 in one go, you can't afford five payments of $40 either.

It's free to defer payment, so why not? I'm already paying for lasers in my eyes, I think I'm already over on my Things I Don't Really Need budget this month. I appreciate your concern for my financial well being though.

edit: oops just noticed who posted that :doh:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just picked up an iPad Mini 4 to replace my Nexus 7. It's really starting to show its age (stutters when trying to run some of the newer games) and the battery drains really fast even when I'm not using it. Manufacturers aren't really making nice tablets that size these days, so even though I don't really like iOS I think an iPad is my best option. I've had it for literally four days and there's already a dent in it because some rear end in a top hat at a party we hosted over the weekend knocked my day bag off the chair it was sitting on and spilled all my stuff over our hard kitchen floor. Nobody would admit to it :( Kind of kicking myself for not buying the Apple Care plan now...

I ordered a BookBook case for it, which should be delivered tomorrow. A little too late.