Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought a nice leather everyday carry bag from a Greek Etsy shop a couple weeks ago and it was just delivered on my lunch break. It has adjustable straps for cross-body, over the shoulder, and backpack mode. I haven't used it yet, but it looks and feels very nice! I'm hoping to give it a go this week :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Blackchamber posted:

Nexus 6P. I got Project Fi in beta when it was nexus 6 or nothing, and I really dont like that ugly featureless phone, so happy to upgrade finally. Case and screen protector also.

How do you like Project Fi? Does it work well? I'm considering switching to it from Verizon because I feel like I"m paying way too much for what I'm actually getting. Congrats on the new phone, by the way. I've had the 6P since launch and I love it :)

Content:
Peak Design, makers of the Everyday Messenger Bag, have a new Kickstarter for three new types of bags. I love my Messenger so much I immediately jumped on this.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jul 13, 2016

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I got engaged this weekend so here is the ring I bought for my boyfriend:

It's made of titanium with a stripe of crushed T. Rex fossil (big reddish one) and a smaller stripe of stardust from an Argentinian meteorite. He proposed to me at a (mostly empty) restaurant, but he told me later that he had originally wanted to propose in front of Sue while we were there over the weekend but all the people there made him too nervous. What a huge nerd :3:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is that a custom job? If so, how long did it take to find a professional lapidary willing to work with fossils, and a jeweler who could accommodate such a unique request? I'm not even going to ask what it cost by the end of it.

It took forever to find someone who could work with ammonite and was cool with taking on a similar project back when I got married.

He actually picked out the ring himself. His cousin has a similar ring (though much less cool - no dino bones) which he thought was awesome and it was just a matter of searching online before he found someone who could make something like it. Apparently he's been looking at it for a while. The night he proposed he showed it to me and I purchased it right away because it takes a while to make, plus if the guy ran out of meteor or bones in the meantime we'd be SOL. You could pay more to have it rushed but since it's the wedding band there's really no hurry.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :kimchi:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Every year I think "this will be the year I won't get a new phone." My phone is good enough, and my very similar Nexus 6P is my fav phone of all time, but I still did this

Google Pixel XL...

Would you mind coming back and posting a trip report after you've used it for a few weeks? I'm actually in the same position you are - I have a Nexus 6P right now and it's a fine phone, but the reviews on the Pixel XL are very enticing. I've only had my Nexus for a year but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. Would really appreciate it!

edit for content:
Preordered this:

I have the X&Y edition one but it's the not-New version and I'm sick of coming back to my games after a day or two of inactivity and finding the battery completely dead :(

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Oct 21, 2016

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Follow up as requested -

Wow, that's a great picture! Honestly that's what's giving me the itch to switch the most, especially after an article I read by a photographer who said his daily driver was an iPhone under he took the Pixel out for a spin and then immediately ditched the iPhone.

Thanks so much for posting again :) I'll have to have a long think about whether I should do it or not. I want to, but I know my wallet won't thank me...

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Humerus posted:

Speaking of dubious value:

Just got it and still doing updates and stuff. Won't really have impressions until the weekend

I'm a little late, but please post a trip report when you've gotten to use it for a little bit!

I'm between this and the LG Watch Style. The ZenWatch has a little bigger battery (100 mAh more, I don't know if this is significant in a gadget this size) and is much more visually appealing, but I'm concerned about the big lugs on the Zen being too chunky on my little wrists and the protruding buttons being awkward. The LG is sort of plain looking, but I'm rocking a Pebble Time Round right now and it's not exactly a show-stopper so that doesn't bother me... I do like that the Style has the rotating crown for navigation a LOT. I watched a video review of it in use and it looks slick as hell. There are a good amount of third party straps for the Style too, and it can use Google's MODE straps... The ZenWatch can only use ASUS brand.

Ugh I'm so indecisive :ohdear: I secretly already bought the Style (Best Buy open-box deal for $200, will be delivered sometime next week), but if this is nice I might return it before I tell my fiance I bought it - he told me I should hold off and I'd never hear the end of it if I immediately want to swap it out for something else.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
This past Sunday at 3:30am managed to roll into a 24hr Walmart and grab a Nintendo Switch, one of only 5 of them they got in. I can't believe how hard these still are to find, especially since I was reading the Switch thread in Games and some people were just waltzing into store on release day and getting one with no issues. Already had Breath of the Wild good to go. :getin:

Bought a case for it so I can take it places without worry about dropping or scratching it.

(Brand is Butterfox if anyone cares.)

I also just bought a backpack for an upcoming weekend Vegas trip so I don't have to pay to check a bag. I haven't owned a backpack since grade school so I hope I can fit 3 days of clothes and incidentals in it.

(Tortuga Air 27L travel backpack)

Not pictured: plane tickets to and from Las Vegas.

:homebrew: I should probably not spend any money for a while.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought a powerbank that has been confirmed to be able to charge the Nintendo Switch while you play, and my phone is USB-C too so being able to quick charge my phone when I'm out and about will be cool.

Anker PowerCore+ with a 20100mAh capacity

Bigger memory card for the Switch for future game since the internal storage is terrible for how large digital games are these days.

Junji Ito's new book, Dissolving Classroom.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Impulse-bought a purse that's looks like a skull

from Killstar, there's a slight sale happening now

And a pair of those conductive bone headphones to wear at work so I can listen to music or podcasts without bothering anybody and also be able to hear the phone or whatever. I've only used them briefly at the end of the day yesterday and to the grocery on my way home from work, but I'm pretty impressed so far.

AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Open Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought some shoes while I was in Las Vegas over the weekend because the shoes I brought with me were not suited at all for the amount of walking we did.

Nike Free Transform Flyknit

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Welp just bought a drone, the Parrot 2

It gets 25 minutes of fly time, has a 14 megapixel camera, and wasn't prohibitively expensive. I'm pretty excited to take some cool aerial photos this summer :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought my third bag from Peak Design: the Everyday Sling.

It's smaller than the Everyday Messenger and the Tote, which is good for me because I end up bringing way too much stuff out with me than necessary. In the divider configuration I'm using now, I can fit in my portable battery, my Moleskine, Kindle, and my Nintendo Switch case and some odds and ends like a tiny hand sanitizer, mini flashlight, etc in the main compartment. There a small zippered part in the top flap that has little pockets for small stuff like USB drives, cables, credit cards/ID, and lip balm. There's an expandable outer pouch that I haven't really used yet, I just keep it unzipped and slide my phone in there so I have easy access to it if I don't have pockets.

Very impressed with the quality and design, just as I have been with each of their other products that I've owned. I swear I'm not getting paid to post about them, I just really like their stuff :shobon: I thought it would be a good bag to take on my honeymoon in a few months since it's a great size to conveniently carry my camera and some other essentials for a day out adventuring.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

RFX posted:

I didn't realize others are having this issue! Do I just need to contact Google support? I never got anything about this class action.

I don't know about the lawsuit, but my 6P had the same problem and I reached out through their chat system accessed through the phone's settings. It's enough of an issue that I barely had to describe what was wrong for them to send me a new phone. Unfortunately what they did they send me was another 6P which also has the same problem :saddowns: so get a Pixel if you have the option. At this point I'm just going to wait out the month or so until the Pixel 2 comes out.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Sep 8, 2017

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I just contact Google over my issue last night and I'm getting a black 128gb Pixel XL as my replacement. Should come Monday.

I picked up this Spigen case to offer it some protection, though I am planning to get the Pixel 2 when it's announced in about three weeks.

I was just going to deal with the issues my replacement 6P was giving me, but I will be going on my honeymoon between now and then and wanted to have a reliable phone to take with me out of the country.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I got a popsocket for my phone and it is kind of dorky but man it makes the phone way easier to hold

I see PopSockets everywhere and always thought they were dumb, but I caved and got one because my coworker is constantly raving about it and I actually really like it a lot. I recently got the Pixel XL 2 and it's sort of hard to use one-handed with my small, girlish hands (on account of being a small girl), and getting one of these things has been great. And I haven't dropped my phone on my face once yet!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Thanks for the heads up on the LookHuman sale! Got my husband this blanket for Christmas.

He loves dinosaurs :3:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Bought the only thing that matters in this world

If you can stomach going to one, the HotTopic exclusive ones are flocked so they're all fuzzy :kimchi:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Went to two different Targets trying to find the one with the open mouth, no dice. We were pretty dejected so we didn't try the HT because the flocked ones are probably long gone as well :saddowns:

The ones with the open mouths are supposed to be a rare variant, I'm not surprised you didn't see them (I haven't either). I don't think HT even carries the regular ones, so there is a pretty good change you will find the flocked ones there. I bought one for my desk at work :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought this snek over the weekend (click for big), terrarium and other snake things to keep it alive not pictured. There are dead mice in my freezer and I am not thrilled about it.

But look at her!!! 5 month old purple extreme het albino hognose. Honestly snakes sort of scare me a little, but my husband has wanted a snake pretty much forever and I just couldn't say no to that face :3:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

white sauce posted:

Very nice snake. I have a ball python that was cute and :3: when it was little but now my gf hates it because it got kinda too huge lol

The breeder told us that she will get nearly three feet long when she is all grown up and that sort of worries me, but hopefully by then I will have gotten over my snake anxiety. I don't really know much about reptile behaviour in general and it makes me nervous that I can't tell what she's thinking. I'm hoping in time that I will learn to read her.

Although so far she has been incredibly sweet with me and has hissed at my husband a few times, so somehow I am already better at snakes than he is lol

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just booked a flight and hotel for 6 days for me and my husband to fly out for a buddy's wedding in Denver in a few weeks. I live in Ohio and I've never been to that part of the country before, so I'm pretty excited.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Signed up for AMC A-List (3 movies per week including IMAX, 3D, etc) for $20/month, and then immediately got a ticket to see Mission Impossible Fallout in the new crazy Dolby Atmos cinema for this Friday. :getin:

So you get three tickets a week to see whatever you want - can three different people go see the same movie together? Or are these tickets only good for one person? I was interested in signing up for this when it was announced but I'm not really sure what the limitations are.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
No picture because I haven't opened it, but I got the cute mouse/cute robot Playstation VR bundle. It's going to be a Christmas gift for the household this year. Hopefully my husband won't buy one before then, he has an annoying habit of doing that when I'm trying to get shopping done early :saddowns:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Picked up a copy of Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! and it's the cutest thing :3:

I'm also desperately trying to talk my husband out of buying a PSVR for Black Friday because I've already bought it for him for Christmas but I don't want to outright say "I already bought this" and spoil the surprise :saddowns:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
My husband went in with his parents and siblings to put a down payment on this place. His folks have been wanting a lake house for a while and they finally found one they can all reasonably afford that isn't a heaping garbage pile. We saw a LOT of duds before this one.

It has direct lake access in the back. Unfortunately the sellers won't part with their furniture or boat for the price they settled on, so it still has to be furnished, but I'm still very excited!

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Imported this from Japan. Pokemon Eevee Tamagotchi!

It's so cute and tiny I love it so much :kimchi:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I've been hearing about the Sony WH-1000XM3 non-stop lately, supposedly a Bose killer in terms of active noise cancellation technology. I got lucky and picked up a pair for relatively cheap on eBay.

This is my first pair of ANC headphones and I really love them! They're super comfy and sound quality is great. I really like the ambient noise mode, where it lets in sound from your environment, so you don't get mowed down by a car or bike when you're out for a walk, for example.

Also I really love the rose gold accents :swoon:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

I bought a Switch. I'm not much of a gamer and haven't bought a system of any sort in like at least a decade, I imagine, but eh, I'm heading out to the ship in a couple of weeks and I think I've consumed all the media out there that I have any interest in.

Pick up Breath of the Wild and you will not be disappointed.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Pre-ordered a Pixel 4 XL this morning in that bright heckin' orange. I'm pretty excited! I have a Pixel 2 XL now with a big ol' crack in it, so this'll be a nice update.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I've had a lot more time to listen to music lately. I've gone from listening almost not at all -- partially due to time restraints and partially due to depression -- to about five hours a day thanks to working from home, and I'm really rediscovering my love for my favourite band, AFI, and the singer and guitarist's various side projects. Between AFI, Blaqk Audio, XTRMST, and DREAMCAR, I've had six albums to catch up on.

I bought a limited edition version of my first album of theirs, Sing the Sorrow, from 2003.

It's a 60 page book featuring never-before released concept art and handwritten lyrics made up to look like a well-loved journal. There are pockets on the inside and back covers that contain a copy of the CD, and a DVD which contains an exclusive 8 minute film which set fans loose to find real-world clues in an ARG. It was really cool back when the internet was barely a thing. I'm hoping to get it signed the next time they tour. I've been to enough shows that Davey and Jade both recognise me by now so chances are pretty good.

I was able to get my hands on a super limited signed XTRMST record.

I don't have anything to play a record with and I already own the album digitally, but the fact that they touched this with their own hands makes it very special to me. The sleeve got damaged on the way here but the signatures and record are intact so I'm not bothered too much. There aren't any more so I couldn't get a replacement if I wanted to.

I also bought a photo print from a show directly from a photographer on Darkroom, but unfortunately I can't find the site in my history and my order confirmation gives literally no information about who it was, so I can't link them :saddowns: They were limiting their prints to 10 for each image, and I think I got a really good one.
This is the image, I don't want to take the poster out of its roll until I can buy a frame for it.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
My husband bought an Atomic Purple shell off Amazon for my Switch and installed it for my birthday this year :3: What another poster said is true, it's a more glossy plastic... Also of note, it makes the JoyCons much louder. The clicks the buttons make, but especially the rumble.

Something to think about if you're interested.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

That’s the right order if only that FF7 is 30 hours and newer and persona will take you 100 hours.

My husband just finished with FFVIIR and it took him 109 hours. But that's the game on normal, on hard, and getting all the trophies and beating the extra bosses.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Just bought a gently used Pixelbook Go on eBay to be my media-absorption powerhouse. Unfortunately I got the black version since nobody is apparently willing to part with the pretty blush colour :( but I am saving like $500 on the model I wanted so I can't complain too much.

I touched one at a Best Buy over the weekend and I was very pleased. It's light and has a really quiet keyboard that feels good to type on. Even the base model they had in the store felt zippy with a bunch of tabs and apps open and videos playing, the screen looked really vibrant, and it'll run the writing apps I use. It'll be a huge step up from my million year-old Surface 2, which was a nightmare to try to use propped up on my lap like a laptop, and no more squinting down at my phone screen in the evenings.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I put an Ember on my Christmas wishlist, thinking of it as something that would be cool to have but that I would never buy for myself, and my mother-in-law bought it for me this past holiday. I used it for the first time the other night and I love the thing. Out of the box it heats your beverage to a nice 135F, which is perfect coffee drinking temperature imo, so you don't even really have to fiddle with the app if you don't want to. I connected my mug to the app and made my LED pink :kimchi:

I made a cup of coffee before dinner, had a few sips, ate, got distracted with Animal Crossing, and when I came back 40 minutes later my drink was still lovely and warm when it otherwise would have been sad and cold. I can see how it would be really useful to someone who makes a cuppa and can't drink it all right away, like in an office where you have to pause frequently to take calls or write emails or whatever. Or if you, like me, are prone to forgetting that your drink exists until it's too late.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I bought a Champion hoodie with a cute plague doctor mask embroidered on the chest :3: I got it very oversized so it's super cosy.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I ordered the new iPad Air (2020) and the Pencil 2.

I accidentally put a not-small scratch in my original iPad Pro recently - I was holding my bag open with one hand and sliding the iPad in with the other, and with the way my hand was positioned the rock on my wedding ring raked across the screen :argh: I'd given up hope that I'd get any money for it when it came up to upgrade, but luck has it that a friend is looking for a cheap-ish iPad to do some light sketching and didn't mind the damage. My couch also ate my Pencil a few months ago so it has mostly been a glorified Media Slab. The opportunity was too good to pass up.

Unfortunately they don't have the pink colour I wanted in stock anywhere within a three hour drive, so I won't have it for another week or so.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

We have that setup and while the pencil is nice it’s of limited use to me as I don’t draw. Makes for decent navigation of apps, but since you can’t use it for system navigation the functionality is a bit lacking. It was a gift so I don’t feel too bad about it. If you do take to drawing I’d take a look at a matte screen protector that provides a bit of paper like texture.

I do a good amount of drawing in Procreate. I've been eyeing Paperlike, the fancy "big name" matte screen protector for that purpose, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of spending $20 on a single sheet (mandatory two-pack). I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of the (much) cheaper alternatives I see on Amazon. I'm all ears if someone has a recommendation :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Welp, I'm one of those assholes who bought a COVID puppy now. He's an Alaskan Klee Kai, turned 4.5 weeks old yesterday and had his first vet visit. The vet is pretty sure he's going to have two blue eyes when he's a bit older. We won't get to take him home for a few more weeks yet, but I'm excited :kimchi:

My green cheek conure and Western hognose both bit the dust last year within a month of each other (the bird suddenly out of nowhere, for no discernable reason; the snake had a chronic illness). The house has been way too quiet this last year without them :saddowns: I never thought my husband and I would adopt a mammal, but here we are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

NewFatMike posted:

I got an iPhone 13 Pro in Sierra Blue after many years of Nexus/Pixel phones and even using Google Fi for my carrier for years.

I’m blown way the hell away. This is even massively superior to my experience using an iPad Pro before I had to sell it a few years ago.

I've used some form of Android phone since smartphones were a thing but I'm open to the idea of changing things up if I hear a good argument for it. I've had iPads on and off for a while, and I can't imagine a smaller one of these being my daily driver.

What about the iPhone do you like the most after switching?