Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KabukiJoe posted:

I ended up getting a second hand iphone 5 to replace my 4s that I dropped in coffee. Hadn't heard of Spigen cases but I definitely went and picked one up after seeing your post. Thanks!

Spigen cases are great for the money. I've had mine on my iPhone 6 since launch and it's been excellent so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

As a beer enthusiast I'm so happy that the whole IPA fad is over. It got so out of control. I can enjoy a beer with a strong hop taste but a ton of the IPAs are just "hey look how much bitterness I was able to cram in this piss soup"

PS there's a poo poo ton of beer/other food product enthusiast that are not assholes and can enjoy cheap/industrial versions of these product and not be insufferable assholes.

I really do enjoy IPAs, even the really fuckoff hop heavy ones, but it did get out of control. Thankfully I like pretty much any style so I'll just roll with changes.

Barrel aged and sours are definitely the new fad now, which I'm cool with.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the original version of that and I never use the bottle opener. At the bar they always open it for you and if you're at someone's house they open it for you anyway. It's weird that it's advertised as one of the main features.

I have a caribiner bottle opener for my keys and I use it all the time. It's perfect when you're out with a cooler for tailgating or picnics or what have you.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was like 99% sure that you forgot to post a description of the recurve bow you also bought.

I had that exact same thought. It looks exactly like an unstrung recurve.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Got a stainless steel "conical" fermenter from SS Brewtech for my birthday.

The build quality on this thing is pretty nice for $195. I'm pretty excited to get something into this in a couple weeks to try it out. I wish it bottom drained for harvesting yeast like the Fast Ferment does, but that won't fit in my fermentation chamber and this will. Plus this thing just looks and feels awesome.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

I'm driving there. Stops along the way.

I've been to both Denver and Chicago before and I would recommend them to anyone who enjoys travel. Des Moines, well, I just want a burger. :D

Then you should go to Kuma's in Chicago. :rock:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Bought some new glass for my 6D.

Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art

Canon 17-40 f4L

Putting these to use shooting the Warped Tour stop in Orlando on Sunday.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

WugLyfe posted:

This is an unbelievably sharp lens. It's incredible.

I know, I'm so excited to start using it. I've been eyeing it since the day it came out and finally fell into someone selling one on my craigslist in basically unused condition (he said probably 50 shutter clicks) for $700 including a $70 promaster UV Filter. Still had the receipt for everything with it too. I got a pretty great deal on the 17-40L too at $450.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

blarzgh posted:

Get some of these for that chimney starter. You can get any brand, any store. Newspaper is for scrubs.

I've never had a problem with newspaper and I just get it for free when I stay at hotels. Paying for something to light your charcoal is for scrubs.

Also, seconding natural lump charcoal.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

That's a solid vacuum. We've had ours for maybe 5 years and it still works very well. Super quick to empty too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Target has some decent rugs if you get one of the nicer ones. We had one for about five years that held up well. We sold it after that time because of a design change in our living room when we bought our new house. Our new rug is from West Elm and I'm quite fond of it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Do you use 1 kcup to fill the whole pot? Seems like it would be really weak coffee. I'm sure I'm probably wrong though.

It looks like it holds a much bigger kcup, that knowing them, still doesn't hold enough coffee grounds to make coffee properly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finally decided to go to an actual running store and have my feet/stride analyzed so I could buy some proper running shoes that actually work for me. Apparently I have a slight pronation so they recommended something with mild stability control. These felt awesome and fit my feet super nicely and were surprisingly light for a shoe that has stability control. I went for a short run on a treadmill tonight and felt great.

New Balance 870v4

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

El Duderino posted:

Don't be dumb like me and see how long you can go without wearing the lame eye protection... Thankfully for me the ball wasnt hit full speed. Did take one in the ear full speed, was odd being deaf in one ear for a few hours!

I just got a new gym membership and they have courts but I can't seem to connect with people to play with, definitely miss it.

Yep, get eyewear. It took a ball square to the eye to convince me that I needed them. I turned around to look at my friend's shot and it came square at my face.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Never
visit
Kickstarter
when bored.

Ok, the last one I'm still on the fence about.
It's nice and all, but the price tag is a bit on the hefty side.

Pledged for multiple ZNAPS and MiStands though. Hopefully they'll all stick to their schedule, that would give me a nice headstart on my christmas shopping this year.

That bag looks awesome and I might get one.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like the color brown a lot.

Not enough to buy any browns that go together apparently. Also seconding the buy actual gear sentiment. I hope you at least have a full face helmet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

For what it's worth, that jacket is 1.1mm leather (which I understand is a little lightweight for a jacket, but it's not strict fashion garbage thin) with CE level 2 shoulder, elbow and back armor, and the gloves are CE level 1. It's probably poo poo for highway riding but I'm nowhere near highway riding so I think it's fine for now.

Thanks! I definitely plan to. I took the MSF basic rider course and they were quick to deflate any vague sense of confidence anyone may have developed at any point during the course. I know I ride like a huge spaz currently and don't plan on being anywhere near real traffic or high speeds for a long time.

Of course I do.

At least it's more padded than it looks. I wouldn't have guessed it had elbow armor based on those sleeves. Good on you for the full helmet. Most people in that style of gear would have some awful half bubble helmet or something.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

blarzgh posted:

Uh, excuse me but my personal experiences are clearly proof of a global reality.

Also, Ryobi is poo poo; the circular sander I bought to redo some large furniture crapped out halfway through the third piece.

I've had decent luck with the two Ryobi things that I bought thankfully. I have their sander and I've used the heck out of it with no problems. I have a circular saw too, but I haven't used it all that much. If I were using it a lot more often, I'd have gotten a better saw though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

davebo posted:

That seems like a weird way to do a 3 car garage but man would I love to have a 3 car garage. Was it built like that or was there a renovation at some point?

Edit: Hey Summit is actually the closest track to where I live, but I haven't been on it since a training class in the mid-90's. How many cars do they generally allow on the track at once?
Double-edit: looks like that day is for bikes only so wouldn't apply to me, but out of curiosity what's their bike capacity?

Why is that a weird way? I live in a new build community and every house with a three car garage looks basically exactly like that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

It's the "In" thing in photography right now.

Not really. It was the in thing like 3-4 years ago. The in thing now is probably emulating old film styles.

That one outside shot is a hot mess.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Some day I want to try to brew a root beer beer. Just like a root beer spiced brown ale. You could control the sweetness pretty easily.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

It's a tank. I have a GR1 and have put it through a lot of use, including swimming in the ocean for a few days in a row with it on, over two years and it still looks perfect.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dewgy posted:

It says limited edition of 100 so I'd guess it's both real and a joke.

They sell them at Universal Studios in the Simpsons store. I've bought a few of them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

goddamn. are those lenses made out of a solid diamond or something.

If you think a $500 lens is expensive, I do not recommend getting into photography.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

There can't be as much room for improvement on a mechanical part like a lens, though, right? I mean, I've read about improvements for small phone lenses, but I figured it didn't really translate to big fancy lenses. Photo people, what's the story?

Even if it's developed, product quality control in optics is not cheap. I work in the industrial microscope field and also work with a lot of optics manufacturers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Phone won't post pics

Zeagle Stiletto BCD

Great choice. I've had mine for four years now and it still looks brand new. That thing is a tank of a BCD.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A ticket to see this in IMAX 3D on 12/17, as they surprisingly were not all sold out yet! :dance:

I bought tickets for the seven film marathon going on in my city. 4am-8pm. Going to be a looong day.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Spamtheman posted:

My turn to cook some steak, 6 Kg of brisket about to be cooked sous vide.

Sous vide wagyu brisket??? I'm listening...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Keket posted:

I'm going to look fabulous.

I'd actually buy that if it didn't have the cheetah print. I used to love the planes painted with teeth as a kid. I'd totally rock that in helmet form.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nice choice. I have this in a black basketball jersey.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

At least it's a pretty trip to the ER.

Just booked my wife's birthday dinner at Morimoto Asia, his new restaurant here in Orlando. Super excited for some fantastic sushi.

Trip report please. My wife and I have also been meaning to try it out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Solid Oak Acorn posted:

I've never used anything but a manual toothbrush and regular floss. It blows my mind how clean my teeth feel after using this.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0095IMNI0

Waterpiks are awesome, but they still don't replace manual flossing. They're more for cleaning your gums than the insides of your teeth like floss does.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

My wife and I are going to do some wreck diving - I am interested in some simple cave diving, but fear may preclude me from trying. If you want to lose sleep read Diver Down that book freaked me out.

Try cavern diving, it's not all that different from wreck diving, but will give you a taste of it. There are a lot of really easy caverns out there, some with with a lot more overhead than others.

In my training class we had to turn off our lights and take off our mask and find our way out of the cavern using only the line we ran on our way in.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Had to do the same thing with my wreck diving course. Follow the line back out again with no mask on, simulate a silt-out.

Could not ever pay me to do cave diving though, gently caress that noise.

Yeah, I dig caverns, but I have no interest in serious cave diving. I went a couple hundred feet past the cave line with my instructor in a cave he knew well just to check it out. That was enough for me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't have that specific model, but I do have a Travelpro 22" carryon - don't be surprised if you get asked to cram it in that carryon size box (which I'm pretty sure is under their actual size limits because mine never fits in it despite being exactly what they say on their website) before getting on and/or being asked to check it at the gate. I think with my model it claimed to be 22" but when you actually measured it it was 22.5"...it still fit perfectly fine in the overheads, but probably 50% of the time I travel with it I get bothered about it, although I still have yet been forced to check it. One gate attendant told me I'd have to and to give it to the flight attendant onboard, but she just waved me on. I wish they'd spend their time addressing the real problem - people who put their luggage in sideways for no good reason.

Anyway, quality-wise though you made a really good choice - I've had it for about 4 years and it still looks brand new (which may be not so impressive for a carryon, but still...)

I went with a 21" for my last two carry-on bags because of that issue. I was tired of having to slam the door on my 22" one that I'd had forever and I took a job where I was travelling regularly so I went with a 21" Delsey that held up well until the zippers broke and the bottom handle that broke. I got a 21" Samsonite that I'm pretty pleased with to replace it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

WugLyfe posted:

Got a raise, murdered a huge chunk of student loans :shobon:

I just ordered that bag too. They had it on Touch of Modern for $200 and on Black Friday they had a deal that got me $50 in credit for ordering it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

XIII posted:

^I really wish they'd make a solid black version of the CT IIs

We once again agree. I'd definitely snag a pair of all black ones.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
They're definitely pricey but they're built to be abused. Mine has been put through the ringer over the years and it looks barely used. This includes swimming with it in the ocean for several days during a GoRuck event.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finished out my Christmas Shopping.

Bought my wife a new rollerball pen for work since she is starting a new role the day after Christmas.

Herb Scissors for my mom. Stumbled on these randomly and they looked right up her alley.

Also got her a popover pan since she just got into making them and they are awesome.

Blu Rays for my step-dad

Unrelated to Christmas, but I also bought myself a whole bunch of camlock quick disconnect fittings for my homebrewing setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

WHAT? What are these???

They're scissors with five sets of blades. Essentially it allows you to cut herbs quickly right into whatever you're cooking. Not that much faster than using a knife if you know what you're doing, but she likes interesting little kitchen gadgets so I thought these seemed intriguing.