Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

LingcodKilla posted:

Not wearing underwear while running sounds like an excellent way to get testicular torsion.

Never want that again.

Just hold your balls while running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Probably because that logo is loving atrocious

I don't know, I would try one of their burger and fries if I drove by.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Must be a big vaper

He did establish that it is stupid.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Expensive weekend :homebrew:

AC Repair, it has been a year with no AC or Central Heat

Electrician to fix circuit that stopped working and quote running electrical in garage for woodshop. To bring it up to code and drop two new circuits would be $6200, so much for that idea in the near future.

Tire carrier for my Jeep since tire won't fit on stock carrier and I want it out of the back seat.

Last real bottleneck on my desktop needed to be resolved.

Needed a new pistol for carry and home.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Theonlydk posted:

Random question but will you use the lanyard loop on the CZ? I'm not a big fan of them although I don't know if they get in the way or anything.

I have no use for it and I might replace the main spring plug with a flush one. I don't plan to use it for competition/play John Wick so it doesn't bother me too much.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Because he is grey in X-Force comics.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

A membership to the local hackerspace so I can make some sawdust :toot:

They're such different styles that I don't really compare the two, but I absolutely agree that the general lack of good pork bbq in Texas is a travesty. It's not impossible to find, but it certainly feels like it.

Thanks for the hackerspace reminder. I am going to go to an open house at Dallas Makerspace tomorrow night, might become a member.

Also Real Texans go hunt the boar and smoke it their self :clint:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah took me two hours. I could probably do it in 30 minutes though now that I know. Nintendo uses triwing screws FYI so make sure you have a driver to do that if you want. Amazon sells those too. Obviously also good small electronics tweezers.

drat, I remember my first gen Gameboy had triwing screws. After I broke the LCD I wanted to take it apart and had never seen that type of screw before. I got it open with a baseball bat...

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're an alcoholic, Belgian-style beers are a much better option. They're more expensive per unit, but you can find alcohol contents upwards of 10% ABV so it only takes hammering a few bottles instead of an entire six-pack and it tastes much better.

The only beer I've had to really taste like water is Colt 45. As it warms it gets a gross adjunct mash flavor, but when ice cold it just tastes like carbonated water that someone waved a beer near.

If you're an alcoholic you know that you cant get a buzz off beer so drink it for the taste while sipping on a flask.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Coredump posted:

You must go bigger. We have the technology.

0.7mm pitch LED...how big is the wall? :circlefap:

You would have to buy speakers though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

I suggest knocking the wall out and installing a ceiling mount theater screen with projector lift

Movie theaters have started to replace projection screens with fine pitch LED :colbert:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Along with things like anti-seize compound, brake fluid, etc...

First time replacing my brakes, watched a couple videos, I think I'll manage it ok.

what up brake buddy. I just got these to do my brakes. It has been like 20 years since I have done a brake job.

Also I used to get Bendix brakes for free, this is the first time I have ever paid for brakes.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I sometimes get impulses to buy random stuff and hit eBay. On Friday, I decided I wanted night vision gear and made an offer of $90 on a monocular with a gen 2 tube that was listed for $100 and it was accepted. We're almost into triple digit temperatures on the CT coast and upstate in Hartford it hit 108 today, so I ordered an evaporative cooling vest and headband made by Ergodyne. I'm sure I'll look like a huge dork, but I almost passed out from the heat when mowing the lawn a couple of weeks ago and I'd rather not die.

One of the things I love about SA is seeing all the nifty things people collect and being able to talk about them. I don't have any questions since I've seen your other posts, but those are awesome.

Almost hit triple digits lol

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Coredump posted:

For CT? That's pretty nuts to me.

Meh, I grew up in RI and remember pretty much every summer there was at least one week in the 90s. The reason I laugh is it will at least get back down in the 80s at night. Here in Texas its "almost triple digits" at 2 am.

As to not be a total derail I got one of these.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Calling lathe tool for fancy cuts

Captive ring (lathe) tool for fancy goblets and stuff.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not bad if you just want a portable Youtube machine

Chromebooks are great machines for doing anything web based. If you are a google user then all the google apps, android app store, etc makes a Chromebook perfect. For the price point they are extremely capable portable PCs.

I just bought a ASUS VivoBook F441BA-DS94 14 as I need something cheap but Windows based for certain programs.

Know what you want to use it for and then get the hardware to do it, no need to buy a $4k laptop to browse the internet.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

colas posted:

Real talk- how do people live in places that hit over 140 degrees(f)? Is it that noticable between 98 (what my car reads in FL after sitting in the July sun all day) and 140? 140 is like, hey why does anyone, how can anyone, even live here?

It is noticeable, when high 90s at night feel cool compared to the 120-130 with heat index of the daytime.

Isn't this the second time this thread derailed into weather in past few weeks?

I bought a bunch of wood and one of these. Should work better than a disposable.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

When I was like 9 or 10 in the late 80s I had a Walkman but no batteries. My young dumb mind thought power was power and stripped a cord then connected it to the battery leads. I had an understanding of what voltage was after that :downs:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I have gotten into turning pens and quickly becoming that guy who pulls out a binder of hand crafted pens of varying styles when someone asks "Do you have a pen?"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've done double and triple features for the price of one so many times over the years at a couple of the local multi-screen AMCs. No one gives a poo poo. Just make sure the times sync up and you're good to go.

I used to just walk by the Usher tearing tickets at the front and tell them I work there if they ask for my ticket. That was almost 20 years ago.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

spog posted:

Bring back movies where you can watch an entire plot in 90mins

Not ones which are so long, you have jet lag when you get back outside.

Go watch TV then.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Just thinking of pen chat, there was a trend 8-10 years ago after someone realized you can just cut 1/8" of plastic off of a Mont Blanc refill and it would fit perfrectly in a Pilot G2. It's a nice way to get $200 ballpoint pen quality for $15

Thank you for that. I like the look and feel of a lot of pen kits for making my own pens but not how they write (usually cheap inserts).

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I helped jump someones car at a Walmart not to long ago. Handed him the leads to put on his battery as I hooked up mine and when I turned around his battery was smoking and my cables were turning white. He had the colored terminal pads backwards on his battery and connected the hot to ground and vice versa :downs: I looked at him and just said, "well they sell new batteries inside" and left.

A jump starter is nice for emergencies but I would also invest in a trickle charger. The reason why most batteries dont last long after a jump is the alternator doesn't run long enough to charge the battery to full capacity.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Should I drop acid during the intermission?

It takes about 30 minutes to fully kick in so you probably want to adjust accordingly. For best effect you should drop as you leave for the theater and by the time you are in your seat for the beginning of the movie it hits you. About 1-1.5 hours in is the peak so you will be fully engaged with the movie for the last half.

I have done a lot of research on this subject in my youth.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can anyone float me a few hundos? Think I'm gonna get this for my nephew, but I'm a little light at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triceratop...9a995%7Ciid%3A1

I like that the photos look like he was cleaning out his attic and found it. "eh, I will toss it on Ebay and see what I can get"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

codo27 posted:

I had the...no..fold? Phil's Wallet but I didn't like having to fold cash all the time so I upgraded to the bi-fold. Happy medium, still pretty thin. I wish I had a pic of my dads wallet to show you guys. Its gotta be 3" thick. I attribute all his back pain to having that in his pocket. (its really arthritis)

I tend to just keep cards/IDs in my wallet and it is about 2" thick. You just made me pull it out and look at it, I found $28 cash and a 2 year old christmas check from my grandmother for $50 in the cash pocket of it. I love finding forgotten money :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

nope, just photo deposit it and all it cares about is routing and checking numbers...and there is money in that account.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Fatality is still a thing? heh I think I have a Creative sound card that was branded with his name in a box somewhere.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I bought this today to press air bubbles out of resin as it cures. For turning on a lathe.

Also a couple of these to test RFID chips with. Now I just need a HID with Wiegand and I think I can setup any type of chip.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

1redflag posted:

Neat; are you going to make RFID-enabled tabled or something? I feel like you have some cool hobbies/projects that people would be interested in reading about.

RFID stuff is for embedding chips into wood/metal hybrid rings and laser etched leather bracelets/watch bands. Need the read/writers connected to Arduino for copying existing cards/tags and eventually adding into my home automation for door locks. The Wiegand encryption is what most HID corporate card readers use ("its secure" lol) so I can clone someones employee badge if they want one. I also hope to tie the chips into tap/wave pay and be able to unlock devices. Might be a long shot but having "one ring to rule them all" so to speak, that opens car door/keyless start car, opens home/work doors with wave of hand, unlocks computer when hands are above keyboard, unlocks phone when you pick it up, etc. However I have a feeling its going to end up being a Thanos gauntlet with all the different RFID chips :v:

The pressure pot is for making resin hybrid blanks for turning projects. Mainly Spheres and other decorative art pieces. On the list is a vacuum chamber (using a communal one, but each run is 24h in the chamber) for creating stabilized wood blanks. You can add dye and powders to both the resin and stabilizing juice to give different colors and effects to the pieces.

Other projects in various states of completion are; never ending Home Automation system, Android app controlled mini submarine with camera, Android app controlled floor mopper/detailer (based on a remote control one I built in HS like 20 years ago), IN 16 Nixie clock, wooden stem wine glass with brass inlay (inlay keeps popping out while I am filing it down), spiral turned candle holder, 3d Laser scanned part I am fixing in Fusion 360 for 3d printing in either SLA or ABS, 2 Bookcases, coffee table/end tables, and bedroom set. On the list of things to learn by the end of the year is metal forging/welding/milling both CNC and by hand.

I also just found a source for $4 4"x12"x9' live edge planks of cedar so probably a resin/wood river table. And picking up a busted microwave in a few days for the transformer to make Lichtenberg figures into wood :science: and have a plan to make a humidor with some of the cedar and oak outside with the Lichtenberg design on it. I need more power to capture them in resin so now I am also researching Van De Graaff generators.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bought a new watch:

Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

If only you had a device that told you how soon next Thursday is coming :downsrim:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I got one of them new fangled OLED Displays :v:

Someone asked me if it was going to show old cigarette commercials that appeal to kids, which has me wanting to make a Joe Cool vs Marlboro Man tiny fighting game inside a cigarette box.

But I am going to use these for room readouts on temp/humidity. They will tie back into a larger touchscreen thermostat to control AC. All controlled by a phone app.

Also some other components for Home automation/security

4x
4x
2x
4x

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 10, 2018

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

Pi is fun. ESP8266 is fun. Home automation is fun. How are you handling power? Just skinny black cords running down walls?

Also, programming this stuff is great Babby's First Project level stuff. If I can do it, anyone can.

How are you handling communication? Pi polls 8266 with sensor, 8266 responds? Or 8266 with sensor just shouts into the void regardless of whether or not anyone's listening?

Yeah I am in no ways a programming wiz, more of a reverse engineer others code till it works for me. Its a lot of researching code libraries and then piecing it all together.

As for the communication I have been playing with Blynk and like it a lot. Easy app to use and it provides a lot of function from video streams to alerts on phone. I am also putting together a server to host Blynk on as well as the Pi communication and camera streams.

For outdoor power I am toying with the idea of small solar panels and battery backups since the sensors don't need much, indoors will probably run them through the walls to outlets. But then again I said that about my A/V cables too and they have been running down the walls for like 6 months now :effort:

I do plan to make custom enclosures in Fusion360 and then 3d print/laser cut them for a nice clean look in the end so will probably run all the wires then.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OniPanda posted:

It’s really fuckin easy to do most things you want to do with an arduino or pi with very little programming knowledge. That’s arduino’s target market, and both arduino and pi have so many people developing stuff for them, there’s code all over the internet.

Its what makes open source so great, those with a lot of knowledge can trickle down so other can learn.

I would say you do need to have a basic understanding of how a program works cause a lot of the code out there is not so much copy, paste, upload. But if you told me to sit down with a blank window and write the code I wouldn't know where to begin, give me something and I can follow what its doing and modify it to work.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

duffmensch posted:

I do it because I’m lazy and don’t want to haul a heavy bag of grass when it’s 110° outside. If the clippings bother you, you can try to move slower or go back to bagging it.

heh, this is why I pay someone else to do my yard. gently caress mowing the lawn in 110F Texas summers. Its so much nicer to come home from work and see it's cut, trimmed, and cleaned up.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jefinabox posted:

Bleep boop

Thats a lot of bleeps and boops. Do you hover touch the knobs like DJs while it plays music?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Diamonds are worthless and irresponsible, but it's important to her so here we go!!!

You could of gotten a Spence diamond. They are man made 100% real diamonds that are formed by compressing methane gasses (Fart Diamonds :v: ) and carbon. Basically by using :science: they speed up the natural compression process from decades to weeks.

I did a lot of work withe company so ended up with a lot of info on how they are made.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Amazon started to ship fake packages to see if their carriers are stealing them. If they mark it as delivered and it wasn't they got an empty box (or with trash for weight) and fired.

Personally I like the the gps tracking on the driver when they get close. Sometimes I hide in the bushes to scare them when they arrive :ninja:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Are you guys not allowed to have packages delivered to your work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

Thats the one.

Brb seeing if amazon can deliver it

well some of the ingredients you can get through Amazon :v:

Fun fact, if you buy 4 gallons of acetone at one time the BATFE call and ask "whatcha doing?"