Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Still at Anime Central but here's one of the unedited photos from my Valkyria Chronicles group with my people at the Foam Corps and our buddies at the Verssen Werks :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I hope nobody minds my shameless self-posting too much but I keep getting photos in from my Valkyria group shoots and I'm so excited with how they look.

I am so fortunate to know good photographers. Guy who took this one goes by Vontography on facebook.

e. I'm the HBIC in the middle with the blue hat, I suppose that's not immediately obvious in retrospect, haha.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, this owns pretty hard. Please keep posting. :3:

Thanks, guys. :3: That's all the encouragement I need, mostly I feel bad because I only do 2ish cosplays a year so I only have so many cosplays to post photos of. But I'm moving into my main project for 2014 (Warhammer 40k!) so here's a photo of my Terran marine's last ride. I'm on the far left there, photo by CosIT photography. I'll miss wearing it but transporting the marines, not so much.

And here is photographic evidence that my friends and I are all mature adults.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 03:36 on May 24, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

burnsep posted:

Oddly specific question- a friend (female, mid 20's, petite but very fit) lost her right arm below the elbow a couple of years back, and she's been thinking up cosplay/general costume ideas that play off the arm. She likes the idea of dressing up as Nemo (from Finding Nemo) or Luke Skywalker (although that seems pretty tough to pull off) but I thought I'd check this thread for more thoughts on this. What would you do?

If she likes Magic the Gathering, Tezzeret has a crazy filigree arm that would only work for somebody without an actual arm there. There's also an awesomely campy Japanese movie called Machine Girl where she gets her arm cut off and uses a gun arm instead. Captain Scarlett from Borderlands or even Captain Hook would be pretty awesome. Or Jaime Lannister. So many options!

McKilligan posted:

So I guess it's OK to do our own stuff - Finally had someone take a few pics, so now I've got something other than selfies. It's 95% done, so a few unfinished details, but goddamn was it satisfying to look at these.

This turned out awesome, you did a killer job, man!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Here's some badass League of Legends cosplay for you folks this fine Sunday afternoon, both by Danielle Beaulieu.

Arcade Hecarim:

Haunted Zyra:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

You guys both look great! I need to do a pokemon costume so bad.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Tracula posted:

Goddamn that's amazing. Maybe I'm not remembering NGE correctly but the feet look a bit too big/thick. It does look absolutely hell to wear though.

It looks to me like they added a few inches in the feet for the costume's overall height. Looking at where their actual foot sits, I'd be so nervous about walking in that thing, that is a huge amount of lift.

One of my friends just finished a human version of the pokemon Moltres and I just love how it turned out:

Cosplayer is Malindachan, photo by CosIT photography

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know the "head/tails" guys are from Bioshock but what's their deal?

Plays, played, will play. Totally just play Bioshock Infinite. ;)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

sticklefifer posted:

I once saw a costume of someone clipping through various objects (complete with huge untextured polygons), and now I'm looking for some examples of famous glitches/bugs being cosplayed. Anyone happen to know of any?

I always like a good Missingno!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

malal posted:

If it's cool to post our own builds, I just got this beast on the road.

I do not know you but I love you. ...and also may be obligated to kill you as I am currently balls deep in a Sister of Battle build.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

malal posted:

I can't wait to see it! Judging from your other builds it should be a show stopper. And before you start firing bolter rounds in my direction, can I at least finish the dakka cannons first?!?

Oh jeez, thanks :3: I suppose I'll allow it, it's definitely Imperial style to fight fair, right...?

Hopefully this isn't weird but do you ever go to conventions or anything in the midwest area? We could do the best photoshoot of all time. My group this year should be me as a canoness, my husband as a tech priest, and my 2 besties as a Sister Hospitaller and heavy armor Inquisitor. 40k is my absolute favorite thing to cosplay from, I'm so excited!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Booblord Zagats posted:

Twilight is more aimed at how, and I hate to use this loving term, Mary-Sue, all the protagonists start to feel and how the fans themselves really ate that poo poo up. Like I said, I enjoyed it enough, but really the fanfare over it was inexplicable to me.

As penance for starting that derail

The raccoon mask is really freaking me out

Disinterested looking Bat Girl cracks me up

Haha, I'm friends with both Rocket there (I'm pretty sure anyway, it's a bit tough to tell) and definitely disinterested Bat Girl.

Some friends of mine did costumes from Phantom of the Opera and did a photoshoot this last weekend, fun stuff.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My main cosplay etiquette thing is to try and use common sense where you ask a cosplayer for a photo. I always try not to stop in the middle of hallways and other busy areas so I don't congest traffic and some people get really rude if I tell them I need to move to the side first. It's really annoying! I'm just trying to make sure that people can keep on walking. I totally love doing photos though, I'm a huge ham (in cosplay at least) so it always makes me happy that people like my stuff that much.

Speaking of, my new Warhammer stuff is like 80% done! I have 2.5 weeks until Gencon and then I'll have some new 40k photos for everybody, yay. It's turning out really well, if I do say so myself!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Check out what forums user MajorGravy has been cooking up:

poo poo looks badass, I love it

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Polaron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fAZxSkfRo

Sneaky Zebra does Comic Con. There are some great costumes in here and, uh, McPantserton, is that you at 2:39?

Sadly no, mine's still in 100 pieces just about to be assembled. Also I'm not rich enough to go to giant cons across the country. :saddowns:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
So Gearbox hosted a cosplay contest for the Borderlands Pre-sequel with super good prizes (trip to PAX for the best cosplayer for each character, drat) and I was bummed because I wanted to do an Athena cosplay anyway but I didn't have time for their deadline with my 40k build... but they just announced the winners and a really good friend of mine at Pippi and Ix Cosplay won as that character! So now I'm geeking out a little (a lot), here are photos of her and some props.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Hopefully nobody minds a selfie post of semi-posed con photos but I just got back from GenCon and I'm really happy with how my new costume turned out. :)

I was very pleased to see a likeness of myself on this man's arm.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Sgt. Politeness posted:

poo poo, I totally saw the crane game guy at Gen Con. drat, we coulda done a secret handshake or something.
Haha, I am married to the crane game guy, I'll do a secret handshake for you and righteously confuse him. One dude did recognize me as a goon from my build posts in the DIY subforum cosplay thread and I felt pretty cool and also slightly nerdier than I usually do when dressed as a Warham.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

joat mon posted:

Very nicely done, as usual. There appears to be an electrical wire or actuator of some sort in claw-in-back guy's left hand. What does it do?

His robo arm is articulated, he can pull the cord and the joints move. I thought it was even cooler that the arm moves when he walks since the joints are strung with bungee cords.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm hoping to get some nicer photos within the next few weeks, hopefully nobody minds too much if I post some once they're done!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

muscles like this? posted:

I got a laugh out of this gender bent Handsome Jack.

She borrowed the gun from some really good friends of mine! They built an actual vibrator into it so you can turn it on and it vibrates.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

cowboythreespeech posted:

Moxxie would be proud.

gently caress yeah she would. I think I've posted their stuff before but they're my cosplay besties so here are my ladybros at the Verssen Werks again anyway featuring the above-mentioned Good Touch.

We got a chance to do some really killer photos of our 40k stuff with smokebombs (!!!) too. :D The weather was very terrible for being outside in armor, like 80 degrees and extremely high humidity, but it was worth it.

Both of these by Vontography

And this one by Break Point Z.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Scyantific posted:

Less shitposting about whether a woman's breasts are fake, more cosplay photos.

loving seriously.

Here's Kinpatsu Cosplay lookin' so badass as Syndra from League of Legends that I almost want to start playing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Scyantific posted:

This is really cool. Nice job!

It looks good and all, but why'd they half-rear end the walkman? Shouldn't it be easy to go and find a portable cassette player?

Guardians cosplay has also made old ones really hard to find. A lot of my cosplay friends have been 3D printing them or doing sculpts with decals and whatnot because normal Walkmans (walkmen? hmm) are in demand.

I'm working on Sorceress Edea from FF8 right now so I'm all about Pixiekitty's Edea and Adel Ultimecia cosplays right now.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Oct 2, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you don't mind sharing trade secrets, how are you handling the weird curtain assembly she wears on her back?

I guess, to be more specific, what are you making it out of? I've seen a few friends over the years put together Edea costumes, and they were all grumpy about the backpiece thing. One gal, who is very handy with ornate carpentry, actually made hers out of balsa. Wish I still had photos of it, because it was pretty amazing. It also had the benefit of not weighing a darn thing, but it sadly met its demise when she stumbled getting into an elevator :(

So what I'm doing for mine is making the struts out of hollow aluminum rod for the straight parts, then I'm doing the top finials out of a thermoplastic called Worbla. It's very light, pretty durable, and when you heat it you can mold it like clay so I'm basically making plastic 'snakes' out of my huge bag of scrap pieces and shaping them. I did a vector design of the whole thing and printed it off to scale to help all the sculpting so I just do the plastic right on a piece of paper. The connecting circular thingers between the 7 straight struts will probably also be worbla. I'll coat the worbla parts in wood glue so the texture difference to the aluminum is less obvious. Then the whole thing will all mount into a half-circle wood plate that will mount to my back with backpack straps and an underbust strap, this part will also have a piece that extends down my spine to stabilize the whole rig.

I've only built one so far and I want to do just a bit more refining of the shape and blending between the aluminum and the worbla but here it is so far!

e. I just laughed out loud about my 'trade secrets,' it's more the case that I won't shut up about my build plans :shobon:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

What's wrong with just being in a costume and leaving the "politics" out of it?

Cosplay doesn't happen in a vacuum, as evidenced by the facebook shitstorm over some girl's Michonne (Walking Dead) blackface makeup cosplay!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Alright then, have at them. If it's that important. I don't have a dog in this fight.

No, man, I generally aim to give people the benefit of the doubt, I thought Dr. What's post about cosplaying as psychos and whatnot was very well-put. I myself have cosplayed as a Chaos barbarian amongst other morally ambiguous and I certainly don't condone chopping people in half to harvest their skulls and/or blood. I just also didn't think it was an out-of-line question, really, and I thought that the notion of ignoring politics in cosplay was kind of funny when my social media channels are blowing up hardcore over blackface right now.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start anything either, here's a photo of my friend from CosAwesome Studios looking cool as Cable, which I had previously thought was in defiance of the laws of reality.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh wow look at all these super awesome cosplays

Shoko and Jerome Cosplay are my favorite cosplay team, their poo poo is unreal.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hecuba posted:

Is this the right place to ask for cosplay assistance? If not, let me know and I’ll delete.

I’m looking to cosplay a crazy Biblical-style six-winged multi-eyed Night Vale angel for a big outdoor festival coming up in a couple of months, and was hoping to get some advice on the build. I’m generally pretty crafty but this will be my first ambitious cosplay, so any help would be super appreciated. I don’t have access to a shop, but do own basic hand tools like a drill, staple gun and small electric saw.

I’m thinking three components: a back harness for the wings, a toga/wrap type thing to cover it, and a SHITLOAD of face/body paint.

1. Wings: material is the major concern right now. This event can get crowded, so they have to be sturdy enough to stand up to some jostling. Any suggested materials? As of right now, I’m thinking light balsa wood or something along those lines. Corrugated cardboard would be cheap but probably too fragile. Craft foam is an option. Can anyone vouch for its durability? If I went the balsa/light plywood route, could I cut it with a small electric saw?

I’m also wondering about the construction. My current plan is to cut six backing frames for the wings, then staplegun or hotglue layers of cut-out eyes and feathers on top of them. Spraypaint the whole shebang and then staplegun each wing to a wooden “spine,” which I’d then attach straps to and cover up with the toga. This does seem like a lot, though — maybe just cutting out four larger pieces for each wing and layering them on top of each other would be less of a pain in the rear end?

2. Facepaint: Recommendations on rock-solid smearproof face/body paint would be amazing. There’s also the issue of — well, I’m hoping to do something like this or this (second picture is NSFW), but I’m a white person, and painting my face up black (even jet-black and covered with eyes) seems a little… icky to me. Thoughts?

3. Toga: I went to enough college parties to be able to handle this, I think.

Also, does anyone know where I could acquire a lightbulb that will glow without being screwed into anything? This is hard to phrase — basically I’m looking for something like this that I can hold in my hand.

Thanks, goons! I will deliver pictures when the big day comes, promise.

We actually have a build thread here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045 Join us!!

And here are some more badass cosplays!
Lightning Cosplay

Enayla Cosplay

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Spudd posted:

Isn't Lightning the character from a Final Fantasy game? That's Magda(??) from Diablo 3, a boss from the second act of the game.

Yeah, the cosplayer's page name is Lightning Cosplay. https://www.facebook.com/LightningCos?ref=br_tf

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Spudd posted:

Oh.

That's confusing.

My group goes by the Foam Corps but we don't really use foam much anymore. :supaburn:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

fippo posted:

Just FYI that this is a statue that Blizzard likes to trot out for display at BlizzCon.

Well let's make up for it with real cosplay, here's my best friend as Kerrigan and me and my other bestie lumbering along behind her.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
COSTUMES

Fantastic Leo Cosplay as Leona from League of Legends

I myself am about to get ready to do a new 40k photoshoot so I'll be self-posting some more later, deal with it :c00lbert:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Ooh! What are you doing this time? Is it your chaos berserker again or something new?

Since my Chaos outfit I have also done a new Sister of Battle suit, my first version was back in 2011 before I knew how to make things light and relatively comfortable :gonk: but I love the look so much I rebuilt it this year and it is probably my favorite of all my costumes. My group is normally 4 people but we had only previously been able to do a photoshoot with myself and my husband so today we finally got all 4 of us together for some shots. I'll post some pictures once I get them back from our photographer but in the meantime here's me from our last photoshoot!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Flakey posted:

This is so awesome. You and the Sisters of Battle own.

Thank you! I have been in love with the Sisters since I first discovered Warhammer when I worked at a game store in high school. My best friend went as a Sister Hospitaller and for this shoot I finally remembered to do my fleur de lis face tattoo (still wearing it because I'm extremely cool) so I am super, super excited to see how the pictures came out :D

McKilligan posted:

Had a ton of photos taken, I'm justing hoping that the photographers rememeber to e-mail me the copies. In the meantime, here's what I managed to find from Saturday -

Guess who managed to tuck their cloak under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

Said it before, saying again, this turned out soooooo badass. Makes me want to do something with chainmail so bad.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Trast posted:

How tall are you and your friends in those marine suits?

I'm about 5'8" normally and the suits add about 3.5-4.5" in the feet (depending on what shoes you're wearing in them) and something like 3-6" in the hood depending on how tight the inner straps are, so bumps me up about 9" on average? So 6'5" or so, and my dude friend would be more like 6'8" ish since he's a little taller than me.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Trast posted:

drat, that is a lot to lug around. And being I am 6'4'' a suit like that might add a full foot to me if the scale kept. That would be a pretty cool sight to see stomping around.

Fortunately they are very, very light! The heaviest parts are the wood platforms for the feet and the PVC frame where the backpack straps mount. I'd be surprised if a full suit weighed more than 20 lbs. I think we'd have to do some tweaks in assembly for somebody as tall as you with this setup but it would definitely be doable and absurdly impressive to behold once it was done!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Aleph Null posted:

How rude is it to not buy tickets and stay in con lobby just to take pictures of costumes?

I go to cons and just cosplay around in the lobby without registering at least once or twice a year!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Xun posted:

Which cons do you go to? It'd be awesome to get to see the SoB outfit!

This year it'll be GenCon, Anime Central, GeekKon, Anime Milwaukee, Daisho Con (aka McPantserton Drunk in a Pool), and possibly C2E2. Definitely wearing the 40k at Daisho Con, Anime Central, C2E2 if I go, and maybe Anime Milwaukee, depends on what else my group wants to do. :D

Here's a cosplayer I love, Miss Sinister as Kratos from God of War:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

DeusExMachinima posted:

Are those fingers in the marine armor remotely articulated, just like in canon? I can't totally tell from the picture but it looks like it. Really amazing work!

They are, but not very well, hahaha. They're more difficult to flex than I'd like. Definitely something I'd spend more time on next time around, I did the final articulating on my set of hands in the car on the way to GenCon. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
If you aren't into sanding you can coat EVA foam in glue too, I've done just PVA glue (Elmer's) or I've heard good things about a glue called FlexBond which are both more self-leveling than resin. Or a lot of people also use the aerosol cans of Plastidip, it's meant to rubberize grips and it does a good job protecting the surface.

• Locked thread