Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Idiot Kicker posted:

I have several relatives that say that Catholics are not Christians at all.

During the big Chik fil-A debates that happened on my Facebook, I was informed that Catholics are just Pagans pretending to be Christians. Guess I missed that one when I went to Catechism as a kid.

Anyway, my fiance's friend's wife as expected had another eye incident needing her to not go into work today because she can't see and she made up for it with all these shares today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lap-Lem posted:

If a drug company found out celery juice lowered blood pressure, don't you think they would distill that poo poo down into pill form and patent it, then sell it to you for $3 a pill. Pretty sure most people would happily buy the pill instead of blending, then drinking down a glass of celery juice a day. Besides celery isn't exactly free, how much does that giant glass of celery juice cost a day? Looks like a whole stalk of celery in a glass. Plus the cost of labor it's going to be way over $3. My effort alone is worth more then $3.

Look, I have a garden in my yard where I grow vegetables, I understand how awesome it is to eat fresh, ripe foods. I like working outside, pulling weeds, and puttering around in nature and I think it's pretty rad. But, some people take this poo poo just way too far.

It's like their usual argument of it's in Big Pharma's interest to not cure cancer. They completely forget that if even if a pharmaceutical company was as mustache twirlingly evil and did come up with a cure that worked on multiple forms of cancer, it'd very much be in their interests to market the hell out of that cure just to have that credit of Company that Cured Cancer and massive Nobel prizes for the scientists who worked on it. Something that big'd have them able to surf that success to the point they could hold a kick a baby for distance contest outside corporate headquarters with full media coverage and people'd still be 'but they cured Cancer'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

Ignoring all others, what does this one even mean?
The statement is "6 ways to know it's GMO"
Is it saying that growing it yourself and buying non-gmo foods is gmo? :psyduck:

It might make sense if I was one of those All Natural All Organic Whole Foods is Life types.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Many strains of cannabis are actually bred to produce very little THC and focus on the production of hemp fiber, which is pretty useful for things that aren't eating your weight in nachos. So it's not all that stupid. The rest of those images make up for it, though.

True, but how many of the 420 crowd actually differentiate between the industrial use cannabis and marijuana?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

Most of them. You gotta know what gets you high and what doesn't.

With the ones I know, there's only the ones that get you high which by some logic I don't understand, also is able to be used for industrial purposes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

Wasn't that whole 'happy meal never gets moldy' experiment debunked pretty hard and it shown that McD's food will happily go moldy, anyway?

Here's one of the debunkings: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

swampland posted:

http://themindunleashed.org/2013/10/30-traits-of-empath.html

Link to really wanky poo poo about how empaths can not be boxed in like the normals and are very creative and cool.
Oh and also:

24. Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating: The excess weight is a form of protection to stop the negative incoming energies having as much impact.

lol

With each one of these I read, it's like Empath and Indigo-Crystal-Rainbow-Star Adults/Children traits are all the same to the point you can swap the title around and they're not any different. It's like they've got to be somehow special from the horrible norms in the exact same conformist manner.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

As it's been a while, here's the latest batch of nuttery from my Facebook. Unfortunately now I've got a couple cousins posting these now as well.

I'm steadily amused by each of these I see with no distinction between the weed that gets you high and the industrial use hemp.

News to me as well as my Biology professor who specialized in Genetics that cross pollination for specific genetic traits is completely not a form of GMO.

Kills the herpes virus? You'd think this would be world wide news.

I guess the people who've gotten seriously ill from raw milk with Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, and Listeria were just faking?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Also "fb.com/theUnschoolBus" I really hope you got this from someone who is big into unschooling :allears:.

While so far no one's posted any of that stuff yet, of course I'll be sharing it the moment one pops up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Oddly enough, so far my Facebook's been fairly quiet about the Hobby Lobby thing. The person I was expecting to explode over it who's More Feminist Than Thou is currently raging over the new Wonder Woman team saying "We want her to be a strong -- I don't want to say feminist, but a strong character. Beautiful, but strong." So far it's not really gotten threadworthy, but if it does, I'll share.

In the meantime, since Unschooling was asked, I do have a homeschooler friended. When we shared some classes together back in Community College, she didn't seem the type other than leaning towards being a crunchy momma. Since she's gone the stay at home mom route, she's been homeschooling. Not for religious reasons, but more anti-establishment stick it to the Man type and she's often griping about how hard it is to find non-religious focused homeschool textbooks. So here's a few gems from her:

The nature's flu shots one amuses me in there's no way to really know if it worked or one just got over the flu on your own, and with the call social services for not having organic food sounds like something they'd say 'we'll get right on that after child near beaten to death with an extension cord and the ones growing up in the meth lab'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

kazil posted:

Look, why can't you just be rich enough to be able to have at least one parent stay home to teach and also that same parent be educated enough to actually be able to teach the subjects?

With the acquaintance of mine who homeschools, while her husband has some sort of job that he's away for months at a time, I guess they're bringing in enough to pay bills. But there's been more than a few times where they've been hurting foodwise and since they live out in the far boonies, times where they couldn't get water brought in like usual. As much as at times I'd like to ask into it more, I can't think of a non-tacky way to even broach the subject.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Excels posted:

my mom collects animals because she's crazy and lonely which are not a good mix. her answer to depression is "ACQUIRE MORE ANIMALS OF VARYING SPECIES! :downs:"

over the years, she's had rats. gerbils. dogs. cats. a massive loving fish tank with one really big fish, left behind by her ex. also raised several inbred cats.

The friends my fiance and I have that I've shared some of their live off the land shares here are in the 'acquire animals!' mode. They used to be at the animal count of two ferrets, a chihuahua, an italian greyhound, and some jack russell mix which they had trouble with the upkeep on going from when my fiance and me took care of their place when they went off for their wedding and honeymoon. Trailer not only reeked of piss, but had that greasy feel residue of dried piss everywhere. The ferret cage was a nightmare, no wonder the ferrets loved it when we'd let them out for a run around. They were surprised that we went on a cleaning spree while they were gone. Since then, they got another ferret and the wife's gone on a had to get an english bulldog kick where she shelled out a lot to a breeder for and pampered to where she even used a babysling to carry the dog around, and most recently went pug crazy and got a pug from a breeder. We're dreading the next animal she gets a wild burr up the rear end about getting and are relieved that they've since stopped talking about adopting a baby from Mongolia.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

This girl already has three dogs, two out of three of which are longhaired breeds living in an uncovered yard in the South Carolina heat (that they are constantly trying to escape) because she thinks deworming them or getting them pretty much any basic vet care is 'too expensive'- read, cuts into her being able to shop at Whole Foods instead of Kroger. She now has three dogs trailing worms out their butts and her solution is not 'get them dewormed', it's 'make them live in the yard'. She is constantly posting about wanting a new pet.
Stop adopting the things. :sigh:

Vet care's like regular medical care. If you let something stay untreated too long, it's going to be expensive to treat. But then I'm quicker to get my cats to the vet than I am to shuffle my rear end over to the doctor and didn't think a thing about when I had to scrape up $200 for a full allergen workup with meds for one of the cats who developed an allergy which killed my budget for the month with the rent paid. He's doing fine by the way, still sour about not being able to have any pork products.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Elfface posted:

Yeah, all my info on this is second-hand, I didn't know anything about the birth control they were protesting beyond 'It's a birth control and they say it causes abortions'. I'm a Britgooon, we're too busy worrying who's been diddling kids to cover everything stupid American Politics does.

Even Stateside some are acting like it's any birth control that's not over the counter that's being effected.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Considering a few of the latest batch of lunacy shared on my Facebook were from PreventDisease.com, I took a look at the website. It's pretty much what's to be expected.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I...I think I just had a stroke.

I think it's like how there's a wiki for everything, there's a bingo for everything.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Moatman posted:

:stare:
The rest of those pictures are pretty hosed up, but I'd like to emphasize how much worse this is.
Just... holy poo poo.

Scarily enough it's a sentiment I've heard around from co-workers and classmates. Pretty much since New Mexico along with Sedona, Arizona was where the hippies who didn't want the counterculture thing to end ended up migrating to, there's a lot of multigenerational hippy/holistic types out here. I've lost count how many times when I've not been feeling well that I get loads of recommendations as to what herbs I need to take or which all natural organic food I need to be eating.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Insects in India hate sugar water? :crossarms:

From what I've been able to look up, it's used diluted to attract the bugs that'll eat the other bugs.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Darkhold posted:

I know you are joking but it's amusing to tell these people that we've been diagnosing cancer since about 1600 B.C. It's not something caused by our modern lifestyle.

Considering these are the same people who insist that alternative medicine's the true medicine since modern medicine's only been around for a hundred years, they're only going to listen to what fits their romanticized pre-industrial ideal. As my Mom was big on saying about the hippy/holistic types she knew who'd flock to the communes to live pure off the land, once they realized what it was like living without modern plumbing, they gave up the lifestyle.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Plus drug testing for jobs is completely random and dependent on the employer or management. I've worked for places where everyone got together and smoked weed, places that didn't care if you did drugs in general as long as you didn't show up high, and places that did random drug tests to everyone. Eg clerical workers/call centre that were all nice 50 year old ladies for one company all got drug tested frequently while engineer at big software company got high at work with managers.

Every job I had except for my last one all drug tested, so I was surprised that it wasn't a mandatory everywhere. When my fiance applied at the same job in the same department I was in, they drug tested him and he's the sort who'll show up in the crisp button down shirt and dress slacks. The general consensus with my co-workers since the only other guy that got tested also looked as clean cut was that they only bothered testing the people they could presume would pass.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ninjasaurus posted:

The women sharing that image almost assuredly do not fit this description.

That's pretty much it. Everyone who's shared the 'real women are curvy' sort of thing on my facebook like to say they're curvy but they're more like an overstuffed dumpling on legs.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Folly posted:

But to get that social pressure working, the gyms have to hype it up to the point where its adherents are almost evangelical about it.

I'm wondering if Zumba's that way since I've got someone on my facebook who's always raving about it to the point where she does a countdown until her Zumba session and when she recently went rappelling was crowing about her Zumba skills were a big help.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Esmerelda posted:

My kickboxing gym is definitely that way. I enjoy the workout or else I wouldn't still go but their facebook group can push into uncomfortable "conform or die" territory.

Best I understand it, Zumba's just aerobics under a different label same as Jazzercise and Dancersise was. I'm not sure why it's got some so insanely fired up over it because I don't remember aerobics getting that same insanity. I can see it with Crossfit because of how much they push.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

This one popped up a few times by multiple people today. It reminded me of my experience with Burning Paradise Video. It was a local indie type video store that specialized in Grindhouse/Exploitation genre films and hard to find films. The old location they were at was a bit out of my way so when they relocated closer, I specifically budgeted to plunk down a couple hundred bucks on a wild spending spree. Just walking in the door and looking at the shelves, I saw several films I was ready to buy without blinking an eye. Turned out all the shelves were rentals only, and asking the bored guy at the counter where was the stuff for sale, he waved towards a dinky shelf rack on the wall that was mostly the same current stuff I could get at Wal-Mart and none of it was what they had on the rental shelves. Thinking it was maybe a space issue, I asked if what they had for rentals was also available for sale and was told no.

I ended up walking out without spending a thing and feeling rather disappointed. When I'd see postings from the owners ranting about people not patronizing local businesses and being horrible for shopping at chain stores, I couldn't help but think if they reversed what they had for sale with what they had for rentals, I would've been a steady customer of at least a hundred bucks a trip minimum. From what I heard, they've since gone out of business.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Centripetal Horse posted:

"They didn't do what I, personally, want" is not the same as "bad business model." You just told us this businesses specialized in hard-to-find movies, then complained that they didn't keep shelves full of those movies to sell to you. You then make it sound like this failure to stock the for-sale section with the movies you wanted to buy somehow resulted in the business losing customers to "chain stores." That makes no sense, since the entire point of the business, and the reason you went there, is that you can't get the product in question from chain stores.

There's a pretty good chance that if the demand and price were there, they would have been selling the movies instead of renting them. By definition, hard-to-find items are, you know, hard to find. They sell it to you, then maybe they find another one, maybe they don't. In the meantime, they can't rent out what they don't have. They can have your $200 from one sale, or they can rent the movies over and over. It's probably not their failure to sell you movies that drove them out of business.

They regularly advertised they carry these particular genre movies, and granted I didn't see what they had at their old location which was larger, they still pitched they were the place to buy from. Had they changed their advertising to reflect they were going more in a rental direction or were predominantly rentals, that would've been different and I wouldn't've bothered going in because I was looking to buy. The small sale section they had featured things like the Transformer films and other mainstream stuff. Even if it was just a small section of Grindhouse genre films and the rest rentals, I would've cleared the sales rack out easy and been a regular customer as long as they kept up stock.

I know it's a very niche market, to be honest, when I first heard about them I was surprised that there was a store that specifically specialized in the genre because I didn't think there was enough demand to warrant a dedicated store + costs to it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

As the one person on my facebook who was trying to get disability to get out of working ended up quitting anyway, she's been filling the time with more of this stuff.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hedera Helix posted:

Is this supposed to be an average of all the body's fluids, or does this person not know that one's blood, urine, saliva, stomach acid, etc. all have different pH levels?

Knowing her, I'd say it's the latter.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I haven't been hit yet by any of the Israel/Palestine shares yet, but the holistic/alternative crowd's still going strong with shares.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Byzantine posted:

These always seem to pick the easiest possible things to complain about. "HOW DO I PAY BILLS ARGH"

Granted this was back in the 80s, but my high school had a requirement where you had to take the home finance class or one of the other classes that would fill the requirement. I took the Home Ec 2 class that qualified and that covered how to shop for fresh produce/fish/meat, how to write a check, how to balance a checking account, how to budget, and the basics of starting a food centered home business along with the expected advanced cooking lessons. Even before I took the class, I already knew how to pay bills and write checks from watching my Mom do it at the kitchen table.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

At my highschool a home economics course was required in 11th grade, which included how to pay bills, write checks, and make a budget among other things. As for applying for college, I don't think anything was required, but they had tons of free resources to help you apply for whatever college you want(like writing a good cover letter, and things you can do to make your application look good), and near the end of the year they let you know about them over and over and over.

Going from the application process for CNM and UNM, it just about holds your hand through the whole process. It's even easier if you're transferring from CNM to UNM, just bring up your info and click to send it over.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

A program targeting the health of cafeteria food for public schools in a nation where childhood obesity is a huge (ha) problem banned literal fast food of a chain that serves almost entirely fried chicken from being served to students by the cafeteria? You don't say.

I'm not seeing this as a bad thing. I tried Chik-Fil-A once and it was the most horrible bland chicken I ever tasted. I still can't see why people lose their minds over their food.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

IDK, macaroni and cheese without cheese is pretty dumb. It wouldn't be macaroni and cheese anymore. It'd me macaroni and something else.

It just strikes me odd because vegans are making the lifestyle change choice, but then going through contortions to almost but not quite have the stuff they've given up. But then what do I know, I tried some vegan bacon stuff once and it tasted like rear end.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Still lucking out so far with no shares about either Gaza or the Ukraine.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

karl fungus posted:

Of all the lovely things Monsanto does, why do people focus on the GMO food? It's perfectly fine for you to eat, whereas they have really lovely business practices and gently caress around with farmers in developing countries.

I'm a botanist and the sheer amount of spirituality and wholesomeness and purity that people focus onto plants is loving hilarious to me.

I guess it's the mentality of Big Business = EVIL! so anything Big Business does also has to be EVIL!. Granted this is going from my observations with the anti-GMO crowd around me being either old hippies or neo-hippies all waxing nostalgiac for some pre-industrial times where everyone was living in total harmony with nature and all united under some pagan matriarchal vegan paradise that never existed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Moatman posted:

Where do you people find all these idiots? I even had a GMO discussion on my Facebook frontpage with no idiots showing up!

In my case, it's a combination of former co-workers from the call centers I've been at and a few classmates that seemed reasonable when we shared classes.

http://i.imgur.com/Yv9cQ0R.jpg possible :nws: for drawn nudity.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bored posted:

Between the two of these posts, I'm having a really hard time figuring out if whoever made the originals were creating parodies or not. The egg=cigarette one has to be a parody....right?

I'd like to think so, but for how often eggs have been bounced around as healthy or pure toxins encased in a shell along with the person who shared this being a more crunchy granola than thou type, I'm thinking they were posting it totally serious.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Because women love their babies so much it allows them to soldier on past a completely arbitrary and subjective measure of pain.

It's also kind of absurd because painkillers are things that exist and a lot of women use them during child birth because apparently it's horrifyingly painful.

Having gone through that twice, I can attest that an epidural is the most wonderful thing in the world.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

So, this chick has another Facebook account that she actually linked on one of her posts. They're both active and equally nutso, really weird. Anyway, she posted a link to an article in a local paper about her being anti-vax. Why am I not surprised?

I just can't keep from going further down this rabbit hole...

HAHA a helpful Note on her Facebook. For context, she bashes religion regularly:

"Example of religious vaccine exemption letter.
February 9, 2014 at 12:27pm
I figured I would just make a note of this because I get asked often for the letter I used for my children. "Religious" exemption does not mean you have to be religious.
To Whom This May Concern:

RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION FOR_______________
At this time we are choosing to exercise our rights under the US Supreme court to obtain a religious exemption for our daughter ____________ regarding vaccinations. We hold a sincere spiritual belief that our child should be free of the required vaccinations and believe these convictions apply to her. Our objection is based on our deeply held personal spiritual beliefs."

That she's from Elgin is also not surprising. Anyone who's lived around the Chicagoland area knows there's intense crazy over there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Moatman posted:

I think the line of reasoning is "Circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV, therefore HIV researchers support circumcision, therefore it's good they died" or some poo poo like that

That's the rationale the anti-circumcision people tend to follow from what I've seen.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

again, wrong reading of the situation. It would be lovely if such a thing DID succeed, it's just very unlikely that it will, and the owners will end up wasting a shitload of their own and other peoples time, money and effort. Bookstores are dying, record stores are dying, and even massive corporations are feeling the pinch. It's unlikely to be something that can be a sustainable business long term.

Out by me the big independent bookstore, Page One from the time I moved out to Albuquerque moved from a decently sized place with a really nice selection of used books with some new, to a larger store with the same selection but now downsized to a not so good selection unless you're looking for alternative medicine, pagan topics, or local authors. Last time I was in there it was pretty depressing considering I used to walk out of there with a goodly sized shopping bag full of books to not finding anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Those type of stores are not really guaranteed failures. We have some thriving stores like that around here, including one that stocks as far back as Atari 2600 carts. It's definitely not going to make mad bank, but a store like that can take off fairly successfully, especially if they also buy used games from customers.

A good chunk of that's knowing the area and what degree of business is possible.

Case in point, a recently married friend of mine moved from here to Wilkes, NC because his wife wanted to be closer to her parents since their health's poorly. He's fairly nerdly, games a lot, watches the usual batch of sci-fi and all, and here in Albuquerque, there's a pretty decent market for that. Since his move, he doesn't have the same access to the nerdly pursuits like he did here and was seriously debating opening up a collectibles/games/comics type brick and mortar store. Considering Wilkes is one of those small Southern towns where things close early and the big job choices are either Lowes or the Tyson chicken plant, it took a bit of talking to convince him a genre store like that was a very bad idea.

• Locked thread