Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's one of them (and actually half of the exact thing posted that I wanted to respond to :ironicat:). The one I had in mind had pictures of the artists with 'facts' listed below each one. I believe Queen was on it, as well as One Direction (maybe?). Also Taylor Swift I think.

I think this is the one you're taking about. I wouldn't recommend using it, though, since the part at the end is an incredibly lovely thing to say even as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

trapped mouse posted:

Idiots on Social Media: DON'T POST TUMBLR

gently caress you dad you're not the boss of me

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The last tumblr thread was killed because a goon started talking about his adult baby diaper fetish and the next few pages were nothing but people mocking him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I wonder what this page they're sharing it from is?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Religion says I have God's eternal love and support, and will have eternal bliss in heaven.

Science says the universe doesn't care about me and I will eventually die and cease to exist.

Which do you think is damaging?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Explain How! posted:

OTOH, white women are loving terrible.

OTOH, so's your posting.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

davebo posted:

Are you kidding? Is egalitarian yet another perfectly cromulent word that's been ruined by the "types" of people who overuse it on the internet? It was fine when they took ephebophile because who ever uses that anyway, but egalitarian is a nice word.

"Egalitarian" now means that feminism is discriminatory against men because of that _femin_ part and we need to focus on women's discrimination against men, like how men are unfairly seen as inferior caregivers and don't have an equivalent to ~ladies' nights~

Lottery of Babylon has a new favorite as of 21:19 on May 27, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

trapped mouse posted:

Chances are that if you have to say "maybe", perhaps there are other reasons for being single. One of them could be posting anime on your Facebook wall non-stop.

Why is he wiping his nose with his palm while saying that, gross dude, get a tissue

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Aphra Bane posted:

My feed used to be cool :(

:butt:: Here's some 20 year old statistics off the top of my head. Checkmate, women.

The weird hodgepodge of statistics reeks of cherrypicking. For example, the 2011 "group with the largest increase in violent assault cases" one - even if it is true and not just pulled out of his rear end, talking about which group had the largest increase is completely useless without context.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

glowing-fish posted:

This is almost a generically condescending "Wake Up Sheeple! The Media is lying to you!" post.

I guess if you wanted to you could count through the specific strawmen. But some of the things on the right hand side are indeed very relevant: the housing market is something that people should pay attention to, and I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Justin Bieber.

The right-hand column includes "Whatever subtly perpetuates fear," which on its own should cover 95% of the left-hand column.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"Heterosexism" also doesn't fit the pattern of the established -isms (sexism is not called maleism, racism is not called whiteism) and is really long and clunky. Even if you want a word to replace homophobia, "heterosexism" is a really dumb and awkward choice.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

karl fungus posted:

So has the movement presented a single example of a person that somehow freed himself from law?

One guy set himself on fire in front of a courthouse and died, which let him escape child support payments.

Payments that were to support his daughter, whom he had previously beaten until she bled.

Freemen on the land view him as a true hero and martyr.

Lottery of Babylon has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Laocius posted:

I thought that guy was a hero to MRAs, not freemen.

Freemen love him. They've put up videos of themselves stalking the judges who work at the courthouse shouting "shame on you."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Taliaquin posted:

This stuff really annoys me, and here's why. I'm not confident about most of my abilities, but one thing I am confident of is that I'm a good cook. I never knew how to cook growing up but decided to learn in the past two years, and I've got a knack for it and now I've developed a genuine love for cooking. I cook an actual recipe meal almost every day. I'm always in the market for healthier recipes, and cauliflower is THE carb substitute of the moment. Now, I like cauliflower itself. So many pages I follow post cauliflower-as-carb recipes: cauliflower fried "rice," mashed cauliflower as bread dough, etc. I've tried a good deal of them and they are all awful. Nothing in my bag of cooking tricks can ever make these cauliflower concoctions taste good. I've come to doubt that any of the people I know who share these recipes have actually tried the recipes; they're just passing them along to look healthy. The cauliflower "garlic bread" one, especially. Goddamn, that one was horrific. And it's still all over my Facebook. People share these things without any clue what they taste like.

You looked at that monstrosity of cheese, sour cream, mayo, and bacon, and the part you objected to was the cauliflower?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Front page of Imgur counts, right?

Title: "Fair is Fair"
Description: "As a black man, I do think this is bullshit. Be proud of yourself, cracka."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CeramicPig posted:

I was about to touch the poop on this one and decided to post it here instead.

But all mammals drink milk after birth. That's part of the definition of mammal. :psyduck:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

What are the conspirators' motives here? We'll use our vast secret resources to create and distribute a biological weapon to make people's noses kinda stuffy?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

But mass shooters consume H2O/cereal in the same proportion as everyone else, so there's no correlation. But mass shooters are much more likely to be on antipsychotics than everyone else, so there is a correlation, which makes it completely different! And since correlation implies causation, that means antipsychotics cause mass shootings (as opposed to "being mentally ill enough to commit a mass shooting" making you more likely to receive antipsychotics...)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Nibbles141 posted:

Isn't there a legit condition or something where people experience no fear and it fucks up their lives cause they'll just walking into traffic and poo poo like that?

There's something like that, or at least a couple of cases, but the effects are usually more subtle than walking into traffic. It's more like you can't hold a job long-term and you end up losing all your money because you do risky things with it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Conal Cochran posted:

Drive by mass stonings have become a serious problem lately.

I looked up Jeremiah 17:9. To my surprise, it didn't actually say anything about guns.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

In Red's profile picture he's dressed up as the eleventh Doctor and holding a toy sonic screwdriver.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think if something as ubiquitous as freaking chicken cured depression then we'd have noticed that only vegetarians are ever depressed.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I got Shy Outspoken Moon Moon

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe you dumb goons would realize Stormfront isn't so bad if only you could get over your dumb :10bux: elitism. Remember, anti-racist is code for anti-white.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

God drat those stupid awful pitbulls. Vote German Shepherd / Irish Setter 2016 (they are foreign breeds because I hate america)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lol that dumb bitch didn't realize I was a master of irony when I called her a dumb bitch, what a dumb bitch

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

IceAgeComing posted:

Just based on random youtube searches; you get lots of videos titled "FREEMAN EXERTS RIGHTS AND MAGISTRATE DISMISS CASE" when in reality the court is thinking "I'm not dealing with this much poo poo for a £50 parking fine". They apparently exist in the UK which is crazy since their garbage makes even less sense in the UK than in does in the US...

Some of the laws they like to cite come from the UK. One I remember is a 17th century English law that says you're considered legally dead if you're lost at sea for seven years. Freemen pretend that it's still on the books, that if it were on the books it would apply outside of the UK, and that what it really means is that on your seventh birthday the state automatically stops thinking you exist unless you explicitly re-apply to not be considered dead.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Some great geopolitical insights from someone's mom:

"What is the cause of these conflicts?" "HUMANS :downs:"

I wanted to know what happened. What was it? Then a sage showed me the light:

"Something happened."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Despite being a "fringe" theory, relatively major politicians and news channel talking heads have supported birthers. It's not like the "9/11 was an inside job" stuff, which never had support from anyone except that one guy you knew in high school who wants you to watch this youtube video man it'll blow your mind.

The birthers first appeared during the 2008 election, when Obama was running against someone who was literally born in Panama. If you think it's just a normal thing all presidents face and that there's no racial motivation behind calling the black guy a kenyanterrormuslim then maybe you're the idiot on social media.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

No you did not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chomp8645 posted:

TRIGGER WARNING: 9/11 IMAGERY

Let me help you out.

If this were for the American release it would be pretty tasteless. I'm guessing 9/11 isn't a big deal in Australia, though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

karl fungus posted:

These are all things that should definitely be addressed, but I was thinking more along the lines of the wacky Tumblr gender thing. Why is gender singled out for special snowflake syndrome? Is it no longer in vogue to claim rare mental disorders or medical conditions? That happened all the time on LiveJournal ages ago.

It helps avoid cognitive dissonance. It's hard to convince yourself in the long term that you have an obscure serious deadly illness because if you did you'd see a doctor but if you see a doctor you'll be told you don't actually have an exotic illness. But as long as gender is purely mental you can just declare yourself to be trigender or whatever and nobody can tell you otherwise or expect you to do anything further.

Co-opting the trans movement's terminology also gets you oppression points, which gives you an enjoyable rush and is socially important on tumblr.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

moerketid posted:

I was pointing out an inaccuracy since there seems to be a belief that all Muslim headscarfs/dress is banned in France when that is obviously not the case. Also you cannot be racist against a religion. If I disagree with something in Islam/Christianity/Hinduism/what the gently caress ever that does not make me a "racist". I'm sure I'll get shot down for that but whatever.

I think we should ban rap music. I'm not racist, you can't be racist against a musical genre, I just disagree with all that urban gangster thug crap.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

"Kids died so I'm allowed to call a game console retarded"

Why is he wasting time on twitter complaining about people's complaints? Every second he spends on twitter is a second he's not spending building schools in africa or something.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is "mild pedophilia" where that nymphet seduces you so you're the real victim of her prepubescent wiles?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The other day someone on my facebook posted about all the feels she got from final fantasy 2 (yes she really didn't even use the roman numeral wtf). I had to explain to her that the true name of that game was final fantasy III and that the name was just changed outside of japan because they wanted to dumb it down for the american audiences by making the numbers smaller so they'd be able to fit in stupid brains like hers. Needless to say, she did not take kindly to this. No pics because I don't own a computer but I wanted to share this story with you friends asap.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SpliffClavin posted:

For every Bible verse that agrees with your belief, there are two that disagree.

Where are all these bible verses about how rich people are awesome and need to focus on getting even more money

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SpliffClavin posted:

God hardly ever shows up to clarify himself.

He does, it's called the new testament

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Many a careless GBS poster has accidentally come out to their family by reflexively responding to something with "im gay". Those dumb familyplebes just don't get irony man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

karl fungus posted:

Why do people care how other people give birth?

The witches told me that I cannot be defeated by any man born of woman. Even one C-section is a potential threat to me.

• Locked thread