Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SnowblindFatal posted:

As a newcomer, I find it hilarious that the whole first page of USA politics thread is just full of booze talk. You guys really have lost hope, haven't you?

We've lost the plot, just like Russia in the 80's / 90's

Someone has to point us in a new direction for the 21st century, and I doubt the complacent and sick two-party system can do that. The post-WW2 plot of 'America as innocent freedom warrior' will continue to be flogged for short term economic gain and lizard-brain political appeal; and the dying GOP will try to save itself and entrench the existing two-party arrangement through dirty legal tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/31/constitutional-conundrum-michigan-demand-for-a-bal/?page=all

Have their been any developments with this?

I can see Congress being of two minds about a Constitutional Convention:

Pros:

Oligarchs could finally rig the Constitution in their favor

Cons:

People could actually give a poo poo and it would be the end of the two party system and the 'totally not bribes' campaign donation gravy train

A mass movement to engage young people in the political system is vital to drive out the old people still fighting the battles of the 1960's.

Also alcoholism is bad, 420 blaze it instead.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard to find a middle ground in a political climate that is basically 'Birchers vs. Yuppies'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

Being a Yuppie isnt bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCicqORi8Mc&t=130s

When Jimmy Carter says we don't have democracy I think he is referring to our 'choice' between a Rabid Reaganist party and a Moderate Reaganist party

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

I've seen American Psycho, it's a good film, but the critique isn't necessarily totally accurate.

As part of their skin-deep social concern; Yuppies are generally averse to any kind of action requiring hardship or sacrifice, which are necessary to prevent disaster in the long term.

Install Windows posted:

Constitutional conventions in the sense of writing a whole new one have never made sense as a solution to bad times in the US. The US constitution is not the level of all-encompassing document other countries tend to have, which make full scale rewrite sessions make more sense.

I think pretty substantial changes are needed (such as term limits and the length of the election cycle, public election funds, reassigning federal/state roles, and more) and these would require major revisions.

As for Jefferson Davis, if Ken Burns' 'Civil War' is anything to go on, the dude had a really hard time managing the Confederacy because it was made up of State's Rights idiots who didn't understand how a centralized government is vital during a war.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 7, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Like minimum, I'd expect the declaration we are a Christian nation, banning gay marriage, and ditching the equal protection clause. Realistically you are going to be looking at a huge push to restrict the federal government and state actions so that basically every general welfare provision we've bled to get in place for the past 227 years will be gone.

I'm betting that an attempt to institutionalize partisan poo poo like that would get people to pay attention. But I doubt Congress will ever let a convention happen since it would threaten their comfy existence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Killed four Americans overseas in counterterrorism operations without judicial process

Ted Cruz <3 Anwar al-Awlaki

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

I mean yeah Cruz is a shitlord but he's pretty right on about this at least.

He wouldn't care if the president was a Republican. Of course neither party actually rejects the authority to kill citizens overseas; which is why the legal implications of the al-Awlaki strike were not discussed in mass media until January 2013, when it wouldn't be an election issue.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3a1hh1hHQ

Mysterious lights have been seen over Aleppo, Syria. Maybe the Martians can do us a solid.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's easier for neoliberals to entertain graphic violence against bankers to sate public bloodlust rather than nationalizing Goldman Sachs and other firms.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I demand a Bernie Sanders / Henry Rollins 2016 ticket. The Real Straight Talk Express.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The two party system will put a Rob Ford into every office before we see nationalization of key industries (finance, energy)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JonathonSpectre posted:

If we could... you know, if we could just keep everything the way it was when I was a kid, then I might not have to die...

Hillary 2016!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
These financial shellgames have to be reined in by putting up huge firewalls on transoceanic finance, forcing all capital by companies headquartered in the Americas to be invested in the Americas and taxable. Not to mention the Chinese banking sector is even more of a mess than ours and European finance is hopelessly interwoven with Putin's mafia state.

This can then be followed by strict transoceanic limits on manufactured goods and fossil fuels. Forcing companies to create manufacturing jobs on the continent where they are sold, and encouraging the development of fission/solar infrastructure.

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can smoke all the weed you want as long as you go to megachurch every week?

You can only smoke up in the megachurch, making you more accepting of the constant indoctrination.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

So an American company can't sell goods in Europe? Or a European company that has a large amount of sales in the US will have to pay taxes in both places?

The American companies can establish Eurasian branches that are basically independent entities, and similarly Eurasian companies would have to create new American firms that license their names/IP.

Basically the east and west hemispheres should be as economically independent from one another as possible, with trade limited to raw materials and intellectual property. This seems like it would create more jobs than the current school of eliminating trade barriers in the name of quarterly profits.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Enjoy your lovely American cars while I drive around in my shiny BMW or Mercedes. Also eating delicious Dutch cheese, drinking Champagne and buying the newest Playstation from our good Japanese friends.

That's fine. Enjoy your overcrowded continent and decades of sovereignty crises. Microsoft and Apple can finally stop pretending to be American companies and will actually manufacture their products here.

Sadly this is just a fantasy, since yuppies would never accept the years of difficulty this transition would entail (my taxes are slightly higher and there aren't enough gizmos on the shelf :qq:)

hobbesmaster posted:

You seem to want everything made in the US again... Unfortunately that's not possible and never was.

Not just the US - the Americas should be a commonwealth trade bloc. Then we'll see if the 'rising tide lifts all boats' claim of globalization will at least have some validity.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Cherokee readily accepted modern living (including slave plantations), that didn't matter when white people decided they wanted to take the poo poo of those other people.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure those types would probably be murdering blacks, hispanics, gays, and the poor for "destroying the country".

Yeah I think that hick who shot up a Jewish center a few weeks ago had a recorded rant about how the economy is being ruined by evil corporations...run by Jews.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Supreme Court should set up something like the White House petition page where the public can weigh in on cases, and the judges can 'take it into advisement'.

But its alot easier to be an unimaginative old man who thinks television represents public opinion.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 13, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

You can basically already do this with Amicus curiae briefs.

So because a legal procedure exists we should forget implementing something modern and populist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Though I think the equivalent of Youtube comments but for the SCOTUS would be hilarious, I question the efficacy of telling Justicies that their mom has oft been slept with.

Like I said, it would be modeled on the White House petition site, so there would be some control/moderation. If anything a clerk would try to distill the decision down to a binary poll for people to vote on.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think statistical techniques were as sophisticaed then as they are now.

But I also see Marx as a philosopher rather than a rigorous scientist, not unlike Freud.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I'd be shocked if there was a Economics PhD in the world that hasn't read Capital.

I'm guessing not reading Marx is a requirement for the Koch-approved economics programs that have been springing up.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

I don't like multiplication tables anyway. It teaches simple math in such a weird way, kids end up just memorizing them like it's a pattern and not understand the concept of multiplication (which leads to problems with division, and one that I always find funny, tipping)

Isn't one of the goals of Common Core math to help kids think more in terms of how to write good code?

I can see how removing what is basically a look-up table is a good idea.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Everyone should be traumatized.

Everyone should get a Ludovico treatment of Syrian Youtube videos before they can talk about starting a revolution. I think War Hawk tough guys might rethink their opinions about trigger warnings after that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The very idea that Congress should have the authority to create campaign finance laws * is an assault on the first amendment :freep:

*which they probably won't exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEAQskbANk

'Money is our God, all things must be quantifiable. I am being paid to tell you this. Trust no one. Vote for me.'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Usually campaigns give away yard signs? I did that when I canvassed?

We should have more open elections - like the Tokyo governor where 10 candidates get equal TV spots. With things like youtube you can have pools of 100 or so people given equal billing that get whittled down by voting, until there are 4 that go on the paper ballot in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9_uLlH3yk

Not that Congress will do this if given restored power over campaign spending - they will just put limits on individual donations - but there will still be lots of nice loopholes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There is no good way to fix it.

Campaigns with fixed public budgets and media access. Eliminating the tax-exemption for dubious 'social welfare' organizations. But these are constraints that neither the business or political class will entertain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

You could maybe make the argument for autocratic regimes and supporting them to promote/maintain order but to do that in the same breath as "democracy for all rah rah!" is just... :psyduck:

Basically everyone over a certain age can only think about our foreign policy in first Cold War terms. We are the innocent champions of democracy in an existential struggle with Communism Terrorism. Not installing strongmen/democracy/order in other countries and focusing on things at home makes us vulnerable to attack.

• Locked thread