Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Constitutional conventions in the sense of writing a whole new one have never made sense as a solution to bad times in the US. The US constitution is not the level of all-encompassing document other countries tend to have, which make full scale rewrite sessions make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why do you add the with a missile part that's what I want to know.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Because missiles, especially the Hellfire AGM 114 Anti-Tank variety, are not exactly the sort of weapon known to minimize collateral (innocent) casualties.

The thing is that everyone involved was innocent to begin with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Forcing them to live a poor-income lifestyle permanently would be a way better and more fitting punishment, in my opinion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Redeye Flight posted:

Yeah, this is what you see in other democracies, like the UK and Germany--coalition governments which consist of two or more parties ruling together to hold a majority vote. It's not out of the realm of possibility here, either, but the problem is getting a third party up to garnering those levels of vote. Still, it's more plausible than getting a third party that can take the election solo.

Note: the UK's had coalition governments exactly thrice since 1801, out of 55 elections, and one of them was the result of the combination Great Depression/World War II crisis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Social fascists" was used against anyone who wasn't already an actual fascist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

SF isn't going to collapse.
You'll just see prices go up to the point where techies find the intangibles of living in the city outweighed by the costs and push start-ups/firms to relocate.

It's kind of funny to see nerds making 6 figures living in college style room share arrangements though.

It's at least going to end up with the repeat of the 1950-1980 population decline over which 13% of the city population left. And that's if they can avoid getting struck by a major earthquake that finally levels all the hilariously out of earthquake code housing stock that makes up a large majority of the housing in the city.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blindeye posted:

You'd see rent skyrocket after an earthquake because the low-rent housing will be destroyed. Supply collapses, but demand remains constant since you can't have a city with housing only for rich people. You might see a lot of lovely 300 sf modular apartments replace hovels, so there's that on the upside, maybe?

See that's the thing. A lot of the worst, least earthquake-resistant buildings are exactly where the poor have already been displaced from (especially all the immediate post-1906 rebuilt places), with a lot of them having to move into boring but new enough to start having some or all of the earthquake code met housing instead.

And depending on what time of day the big one hits, you might easily have hundreds of thousands of people killed or so severely injured that they're not going to be in the market for anything but a medical ward for a significant time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KomradeX posted:

New York under Bloomberg tried this as well.

What are you on to be saying that? Maybe in a few select areas that just got rezoned from "illegal housing in abandoned factories and stores" to "legal housing for the trust fund kids already living there".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Good Citizen posted:

Abusing each country's legal definition of nexus is like square one in tax efficient supply chain management. What Google has done with leasing their intellectual property to themselves through what are essentially shell companies that are nothing but accounting departments is comic book super villain levels of over-the-top hilarious. Caterpillar is another company that uses international accounting fuckery to minimize tax liability. And if this stuff is making you angry then don't even think about looking at what pharmaceutical companies or international charities are doing.

It's way easier to make a list of companies that don't do this.

Anyway:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

I'm curious, what's the advantage to Ireland or the Netherlands with this? Do they get to take a tax rake? I gather the Caymans charges banks a flat fee to operate, which produces huge amounts of money for a nation of a few tens of thousands - but Ireland and the Netherlands are quite large comparatively.

The whole deal is that neither Ireland nor the Netherlands result in no tax, but they do result in much lesser tax. And the countries end up getting quite substantial tax revenue while not really having to provide any services to those companies since at most there's a few dozen guys at an office in the respective countries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

The issue is that Ireland still has crippling solvency and unemployment and poverty issues because, unlike they were led to believe, making their country a tax haven didn't actually bring any appreciable growth, just a bunch of financial sector growth that cripples the rest of the country.

Well yeah, that's what happens when your plan is to attempt to employ millions of people by inviting in companies with maybe 12 guys for a satellite office.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So what are the Cayman's getting in return for being a tax shelter?

Money and it helps drive their tourism/hospitality industry.

Also it would be stupid to bribe the Caymans for that because businesses from all over the world use them. Why spend billions on the Cayman islands to make some random company pay taxes to Japan?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Presumably because the taxes we end up collecting will be more than what we give them. If that's not the case then it's clearly a terrible deal.

How can we get enough taxes from our companies to pay off the Cayman Islands for every other countries' businesses there dude?

There's billions in yearly activities associated with the over a trillion dollars socked away from all over the planet.

Cracking down there could easily shift it all to Curaco or other commercial havens, leaving us holding the bag to prevent collapse of the Cayman economy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

This is from a few pages back but I think it deserves to be pointed out that this article clearly establishes that the canyon in Utah is absolutely open to he public for their use and enjoyment; you just have to either hike or ride horseback to enjoy it. These rear end in a top hat man children are arguing for the freedom to destroy public lands and antiquities with their ATVs and dirt bikes. These people are loving children screaming "you're not the boss of me".

Time to set up rows of bollards short enough for horses to get over and wide enough spaced for hiking through, but near impossible for ATVs to get past. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

Enjoy your lovely American cars while I drive around in my shiny BMW or Mercedes. Also eating delicious Dutch cheese, drinking Champagne and buying the newest Playstation from our good Japanese friends.

Uh are you really this stupid?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/business/bmw-to-expand-us-plant-in-push-for-lighter-and-more-fuel-efficient-cars.html?_r=0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_U.S._International

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

That's fine. Enjoy your overcrowded continent and decades of sovereignty crises. Microsoft and Apple can finally stop pretending to be American companies and will actually manufacture their products here.

But Microsoft already does? It rarely makes sense to run your disc pressing in another country, and of course most of their stuff is entirely non-physical.

Torrannor posted:

Welp, misread one part, but there would still be no Champagne for you.

American champagne is superior to French swill. :smugdog:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The place has been a National Historic Landmark for nearly 50 years, it's not going to get demolished.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

We are so completely and utterly hosed

Chill the hell out.

I'm not even that old but I remember when everything was supposed to fall apart by like 2010.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'll take what's going to happen to America to what's going to happen to Europe any day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowsbeak posted:

What is "going" to happen to europe?

According to Europe fried chicken, mass austerity, roving fascist gangs or the horror of full federalism.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pohl posted:

I'm completely flabbergasted as to why people aren't incredibly pissed and spitting mad. People I talk to are just loving happy to have a job, and no one is rebellious at all.

Lots of people are literally content with $29,000 a year, or only so discontent with it as they can't afford to "splurge" on "luxuries" as often as they like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Don't you think this kind of significantly lessens the probability of institutional change in the church?

It's a bureaucracy that's been in place independent to itself for 960 years, poo poo is never going to change fast in it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Buffer posted:

Physics is why fortran will never die.

Also the fact there's nothing wrong with FORTRAN to begin with.

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty telling that any discussion of math pedagogy in the States starts and ends with algebra and calculus.

There was someone once who pretended trigonometry was some kind of arcane high level math, that was a fun one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Buffer posted:

Modern versions, sure. There's still a ton of FORTRAN 77 though, which there is a lot wrong with.

FORTRAN's a hammer and some people insist on trying to use it as a saw. Not much you can do about that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pengun101 posted:

Do these people even believe that 10 to 30 million people will show up. they didn't the last time.

30 million people showed up but Obama's mind beams tricked everyone into thinking there were only 3000.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah in a lot of those places people easily go decades without seeing a black guy except on TV.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also a lot of universities refuse to accept certain community college classes for credits seemingly at random, which can end up costing you an extra semester at the university.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

agarjogger posted:

Tell us about the relationship between grocery unions and self-checkout.

What about them?

When I worked in a unionized supermarket, the union was perfectly fine with the self checkouts - they still require workers on hand to assist people pretty often, and they did not appear to lower use of the regular cashiers in our local's territory, they appeared to instead just encourage some people to make additional short trips.

And stores where the local allowed the store owners to experiment with adding more self-checkouts than usual ended up with less sales and more wait times for the customers, which resulted in the extra machines being removed to a more typical layout.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Every country people normally talk of as "banning guns" actually just has licensing systems in place, and the gun ownership rates are usually not far behind many states in the US. And their policies can generally be considered the maximum possible gun control in a non totalitarian state.

There is no wolf.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

This is just a flat lie

So what countries do you think have full gun bans and wouldn't be characterized as also being dictatorships. Keep in mind that a few US states have gun ownership rates under 15% or even under 10% when considering what I said before!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just some examples on gun ownership rates:

Rhode Island - 12.8%
Massachusetts - 12.6%
New Jersey - 12.3%
Hawaii - 6.7%

Northern Ireland - 20%
New Zealand - 19%
Australia - 13%
Great Britain - 5%

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

You've got this dumb idea that "if you can have a break-action shotgun there is no gun ban." Which makes discussion with you pointless, as difficult as that is to believe.

Nice troll but it fails.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

Am I misrepresenting you?

You're claiming that the only guns allowed in those four countries is shotguns, which is laughably obvious as false to everyone here. :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Like maybe I'm going completely out on a limb here, but if parts of one country where everyone agrees there is no gun ban has fewer legal gun owners than countries considered to have massive gun restrictions, wouldn't a sane person regard the latter countries as not having gun bans?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

Northern Ireland is excluded from the UK gun ban and has more permissive gun laws then Massachusetts, every other country on that list specifically bans carrying firearms or owning firearms for the purposes of personal protection. That is a gun ban regardless of how many hunters out there with break barrel shotguns are driving up the gun ownership stat.

Also Great Britain is the only country with a similar population density to the states you're comparing them against.

So why is it so important for you to shout "I'M EXPLICITLY BUYING THIS FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION" when buying a gun?

Also why are you repeating the "omg you can only have shotguns" canard?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

semper wifi posted:

It's because with the exception of RI there are serious obstacles to obtaining anything other than a shotgun or a hunting rifle in every one of the states or countries you listed, ranging from onerous storage and licensing requirements to "you must be rich and connected".

That's as it should be. You know, it's also rather complicated to buy a house, or get an apartment.

This doesn't make it into a ban though, and the costs are usually much less than the cost of said fancy gun you seem to be humpin' for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

semper wifi posted:

See, you've just provided the thread with a perfect demonstration of why "gubmint takin my guns" is still a thing.

Well yeah, I got you gun obsessed people to show you're hyperbolic children who regard 1/8 of the population owning guns as guns being banned.

PS only middle class people are obsessing over having 10 tacticlol guns and 50,000 rounds of ammo in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

What you're saying is its not an ban because its impossible to keep people from buying a gun illegally by lying on their permit application?

Also how is the shotgun thing isn't a canard just because you label it such.

Yes it's not a ban. Do you really never use your guns for anything besides :airquote:self-protection:airquote:? I mean I don't know maybe I'm crazy to love target shooting and plinking electronics scrap.

Because you can own many kinds of guns that aren't the dreaded shotgun in those countries.

Miltank posted:

Many would argue that owning a means to defend yourself is a basic human right.

E: the US constitution for example.

Did you know there's tons of weapons you can own that aren't some random specific model of gun? Crazy I know.

Chantilly Say posted:

If guns are like cars, what is public transit in this analogy?

Longbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miltank posted:

Which crazy specific gun is it that you want to ban?

What do you mean "want" to ban? There's a bunch of specific models that are already banned and have been for years, despite you being able to get very close knockoffs pretty much unrestricted. Usually because some random politician got a bug up their butt about the Hasenpfeffer 16mm.782 with special scope.

• Locked thread