Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if your grandpa had a youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZByJ5z0LaLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Die! Die you fuckers!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I had to tell my dad to gently caress off about Benghazi the other day as he was tooting his outrage horn at me. I asked him if he knew the names of the people that died, and what they believed in. he obviously said no, and that it didn't matter. The conversation didn't go well after that. gently caress anyone trying to use those names for their own agenda.

What about people acting like they have a more personal connection and therefore more legitimate opinion on the tragedy because they posted on the same messageboard as the guy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good news Romney will 100% not be running for president in 2016!

Talmonis posted:

You ever stop to think; "Maybe the sort of thing I just said is why the working class get mad at the rich and their supporters?"

You ever stop to think, maybe I shouldn't respond to trolls?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magres posted:

In this Geithner claims that the banks have paid back the money they got in the bailout. Anyone know if that's actually true?

Afaik all of the TARP money has been paid back with interest.

Two years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Yeah I guess things are truly hopeless then

Hey, now yer catchin' on!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

As a kid I always wondered what the quiet desperation of the average Roman during the latter years of the empire felt like. Little did I know what was to await me.

Oh non-patrician Romans always felt like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

4% return and averting global economic apocalypse isn't a bad deal :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Yeah, good point there actually. I guess one of the biggest problems is how widespread this system is, making it difficult/impossible to run away from. I mentioned a desire to leave the country a couple of months ago but on further reflection I don't even know if there is a place to move to that won't have similar issues given the global scope we are dealing with.

What do people do if they can't run away from or fight a problem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Personally I craft elaborate fantasies where I have Superman powers and go around punching the heads off of Tea Partiers.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hear that, if you are very good all year, Jefferson Davis heeself will visit you in the night and return your slaves to you under your pillow. :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well well well the GOP has officially Shut the gently caress Up about the ACA because it ended up being fine.

Fortunately for the thread, they literally cannot Shut the gently caress Up about Benghazi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Internet poster finds one weird trick to avoid depression in the face of an ever crushing political reality. Politicians hate him!
Deepen your cynicism until you are numb to all pain :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Criminal kids :eng101: So who cares.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Close enough. Rape is rape, so wish granted!

And gently caress me is Perry an evil, petty bastard. Aside from there being no reason for this other than pure spite, it's dumb as gently caress. I get that prison rape is apparently no big deal to large swaths of the American people, but do you ever really want to be known as the pro-child-rape candidate? And it wasn't even a thing until he made it one. Could have just let the whole thing go on to be implemented and it would have never been a story, but nope, Perry's buddies in the private prison industry wouldn't have liked that cutting into their profit margins.

Reminder that when the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole was poised to deliver a finding that showed that Cameron Todd Willingham was likely not guilty of the arson which led to the deaths of his children that he was subsequently executed for, Perry dissolved the board and reconstituted it with people who would rule the opposite way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I'm not sure what's worse: that Rick Perry is being this much of a dick about child rape, or that a 16-year old kid that burned a trash can, causing 500 dollars worth of damage, was sentenced to 8 years of jail in an adult prison in the first place.

Honestly you'd probably be better off in adult prisons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somehow people made it through periods in which roaming bands of murderers raped and killed your family and if you survived that you died of smallpox or a tooth infection or something. Buck up, relatively affluent white males! You'll be ok!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

Some Democrats competitive for Senate in the South!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/southern-democrats-competitive-despite-rough-midterm-climate-n102856

Still early, but Mark Pryor of Arkansas seems to have a robust enough lead that I would not be surprised to see him reelected. I know nothing about Michelle Nunn of Georgia, who is slightly behind in the polls, but I could only imagine her winning if her opponent talks about rape. McConnel v. Grimes is going to be the most expensive non-presidential race in U.S. history, so I feel bad for any Kentuckians and all of the stupid poo poo that will be on your airwaves from now until November.

Speaking of, did people catch the segment on the KY Senate race on John Oliver's show last night? Sorry if this has been discussed, I skipped to the end of the thread like I always do after the weekend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's just old man dick and balls bro.

VitalSigns posted:

I do. Reading about this case back in the day turned me anti-death-penalty.

What's most frustrating about this is that death penalty advocates cling to the "fact" that there is no proof that an innocent man or woman has ever died to capital punishment in America. I mean, everyone knows that it most certainly has happened, probably many times, but there is no proof. That finding of posthumous innocence would have been a HUGE blow to the death penalty argument, but we just can't have that now can we.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

John Crisco died unexpectedly at his home today, so there will not be a need for a runoff in the North Carolina 2nd CD Democratic Primary. Clay Aiken is now unopposed in his race to lose to Renee Ellmers in November.

John Crisco eh? I'm going to assume heart attack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just think it's kind of hosed up that we expect 18 year old kids to make rational decisions about their future straight the gently caress out of high school. I would've done college so differently if I'd have had the slightest inkling where I would end up and what my professional interests would be in my mid-thirties. But then again, I expect the vast majority of people feel the same way.

Here in Texas, the stated goal of our el-hi public education program is to send every kid to college. It's just the stupidest goal imaginable for public education. There are, or should be, plenty of jobs that deliver a decent quality of life with security for the future that require vocational training that can be done at the high school level, or through paid apprenticeships. If you want every kid to get two to four years of education beyond 12th grade, add grades on to public school.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

Yeah, Texas' priorities for public education are abysmal. The Legislature is not going to help and neither is the Governor's office; since the priority of both is just to cut taxes. The only hope is the Judicial branch. Hopefully, the court's can put in place guidelines and mandates for reform of the way we our public education system is run; that's not a good choice though since any final decision may take years to implement.

Oh the courts are about to rule, again, that the public education system in Texas violates the constitutional requirement that state education be equitable and effective. This happens all the time; the courts rule public education sucks and the Legislature has to fix it, the Legislature tries to shuffle around a bunch of existing money and raise accountability standards and try to find zero cost solutions to the what I will charitably call the education "problem" in the state. Republicans will pronounce the problem fixed and then every school district in the state will sue the state for violating the state constitution and the pattern will repeat.

Since I graduated college in 2002 and started following Texas politics closely, there have been six Legislative sessions. When the 2015 session starts, in 3 out of the seven sessions, the Legislature has been under a court order to fix the public education system to conform with constitutional requirements. They have failed every time, and will fail this time as well, because the solution to the problem is two-fold:
a) statewide property tax, which is forbidden by the Constitution and has no where near enough support to be amended out of the state charter
b) a poo poo load more tax revenue, which again is a non starter.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 13, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

effectual posted:

Could the judiciary ever just take the next step and order taxes or something? Maybe Judge Dredd is needed.

Judges are elected in partisan elections in Texas so you tell me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Exactly, I agree entirely (and I know I got lucky).

My point is, instead of tackling student debt as the problem, why not tackle mis-/a lack of information and guidance for students in high school as the cause of that high debt (couple with trying to get universities to cut down costs). And if we try to focus on other options (trades, apprenticeships, alternative education to college/BA degree+) then maybe the job market wouldn't have such a hardon for making a four year degree required for picking your nose.

A lot of it, I think, is just deeply ingrained in US culture. There's massive pressure to get done with college, get married, buy a house, have a family and be basically set and done by the time you are 30. I have no idea how you do this, but until we become OK with allowing people time to experiment, try new things, and make it easy for them to do that (debt is a huge issue here, because if you want to change careers and that requires any kind of new education, it's a huge trigger to pull) we aren't getting at the real problems we've been talking about the last few pages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

But then who will be poor and homeless?

Communications majors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erm, I don't think "education" is a quantifiable metric.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Would anyone object to me posting a bit of what I wrote to my congressional rep?

Sure, but unless it includes the words "here is a sizable donation to your reelection campaign" it's going to get glanced at by a staffer and "filed away".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's classist to say that someone who has been educated in science, math, language, history, fine arts, and government has had more education than someone who has been educated in, for example, building roofs?

Yep. Because the tone of your statement implies that one sort of knowledge is better than another sort of knowledge. Grats on your very well received exegesis on Proust but that ain't going to stop a leak in your roof. The denigration of labor by the ivory-tower class of progressives creates a schism we don't need.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why? How is education in six different areas not "more education" than education in one area?

Depends on how you define education. If it's just hours taken or degrees received, then yes, they have more education and I guess they can put that on a button and wear it around. If you include anything that values practical applications of knowledge, then it becomes murkier. Does focus matter? If I take 100 hours of chemistry am I more or less educated than someone with a general studies degree of 100 hours?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

I've been surprised before. My father has actually hosted state representatives before, but considering that was years before the Tea Party and the death of compromise, You are most likely right.

As you can see I'm pretty much guaranteed to be blown off but at least I tried right?

You should in some way say what you think should be done instead of that something should be done. No one in the country things that tuition increases and the debt of graduates is not a problem.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Someone who has taken science, math, history, and art is better equipped to make decisions in a democracy than someone who has never poked their head out of a laboratory so I'd say less. Specialization is the enemy of education.

Again, we have to define what makes someone a more successful citizen than another. It's arguable that a country will work best if everyone votes for people who will represent their own interests and needs. Don't need a lot of education to know that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Some do... they think they deserve it for studying on a credit card and loans. Keep in mind I'm talking to a Tea Partier here. Her primary goals are Tax cuts, Repealing Obamacare, and DEBT!

But you are right, I'll see if I can add a bit more on what can be done.

Does she not have a position plank on college tuition?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

How do we pay for government-paid college? How do we pay for increased funding for education pre-college? And how do we create paid jobs out of thin air for people whose skills aren't applicable to the private market? And how do we magically create an economy where there is a jobs surplus, or at the very least a job for every person?

I'm not arguing with you because I disagree with your ideas - I would love more focus on pre-college education and to live in an economy with jobs galore - the problem is I see goals but no way to get there.

To me, a solution that isn't politically viable isn't a solution unless you somehow change the politics. I would love to absolve all student loan debt and make it a non-issue, but how we pay for that and how we get it through our political system is a mystery. Thus I proposed easier solutions to swallow to curb future student loan debt growth.

It's a very good question and a difficult one to be sure but it starts with an equitable and effective progressive tax code and the gutting of the military industrial complex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I imagine that the unemployment will be caused by continuing economic stagnation, and the student loan bubble? I don't know what you think will cause it and I'm genuinely curious since I'm not too up on what'll cause the next great American crisis (hopefully met with a new New Deal and not more austerity).

Barring some black swan thing it's going to be healthcare spending as a portion of the budget.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

They likely should be but I don't think they are. The USSR was defeated, China roughly came around to their way of thinking, leftist organization has been totally crushed, and they are getting extremely rich. Who is going to stop them? As far as they are concerned it is total, complete, and decisive victory. That they can effectively make more money via the prison-industrial complex is just icing on the cake.

I man, by a measure of "Who can stop me?" what really stands in the way?

Edit: Now that I think about it they probably shouldn't be scared. Unorganized mobs of people are more dangerous to each other than elites.

Well there was this little dust up called the French Revolution. And the Russian Revolution. And the Chinese Revolution. And so on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

Only a sustained, Great-Depression era disaster for everyone but the rich might affect something like that.

*gestures George Costanza-like to the America that surrounds you today*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

All y'all guys should watch Continuum if you guys really want to know what the worst case rock bottom for all of this is. :allears:

-Corporations own everything, including law enforcement.
-Everyone is born with a "life debt" you need to work all your life to pay off, when when you succeed are you a net contributor to society.
-Political rights do not exist.
-Corporate Fascist Canada owns the United States.

Every time I read this thread I'm like "gently caress, Continuum is real." :ohdear:

What's weird about Continuum is that the protagonist is (at least as far as s2) a force for maintaining this status quo and the antagonists are a group of revolutionaries trying to destroy that system. And I guess we're supposed to root for the protagonist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is anecdotal but when I went into college in 1998 the economy was balling, it was the peak of the dotcom bubble, and we all had the understanding that when we graduated in four years we would be able to fall backwards into a cushy six figure job and be set for ever. Then the bubble burst and 9/11 happened :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McDowell posted:

So because a legal procedure exists we should forget implementing something modern and populist.

Though I think the equivalent of Youtube comments but for the SCOTUS would be hilarious, I question the efficacy of telling Justicies that their mom has oft been slept with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lindsay Graham got officially censured by Charleston County Republican party. The charge: being a secret liberal commie fake phony RINO piece of poo poo!!!!

quote:

The vote was immediately criticized by Republican National Committeewoman Cindy Costa as "foolish" on the eve of an election.

"Terrible. It's a dumb thing to do," said Costa, who did not take part in the vote but said precedent is being set to now "censure" Republican politicians any time they stray in the slightest.

The censure document, running to about 30 points taken from Graham's two terms in the Senate, covered a variety of Graham criticisms, ranging from supporting President Obama's Supreme Court nominees to cooperating with Democrats. Similar censure votes have been considered in other counties around the state, pressed by Graham opponents. Still, they have no weight of force and are more considered to be debated statements of disapproval.

Here's the doc

Lol.

quote:

11. Supported granting members of the Muslim Brotherhood high level positions in the US government: In July of 2012 when Republican Representative Michele Bachmann suggested that an aid to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton should be scrutinized due to her connections with members of the Muslim Brotherhood, Senator Graham condemned Representative Bachmann for raising the issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magres posted:

From a little while back, but I'm pretty sure I can quote this in response to nearly any Conservative 'well how would you fix X' questions. Maybe other than 'how would you reform our justice system,' but even then, extra funding to have state run, not private run, prisons probably wouldn't hurt.

Yeah I know we should totally do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

What does Obama need with a starship?

Well as it turns out those fuckers are kicking us out of the ISS.

• Locked thread