Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Honestly, the combat in Witcher 3 is great if you pay attention, and you always have a bunch of different options on how to kill poo poo - most of which you can learn by looking at the bestiary.

Right. So MORE sub menus. I swear to God I spent more time in that game looking at the mini map, the menus, futzing with my stupid inventory and watching narrative scenes than I did really playing it. It was gorgeous to look at rather compelling but I think it'd make a better movie than a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shamus Young is doing a written retrospective on GTA, and he notes that the likes of GTA3 don't try tell a cohesive story but rather emulate specific scenes from Scorcese and Mann movies, and when you put these scenes together they don't make a coherent plot as the intention is style over substance. It wouldn't make sense in a movie for a character to have a simple goal in the beginning, only to then spend 2 hours doing a load of completely irrelevant busywork, only to then end the film with them completing their initial goal with little fanfare.

He says that the problem with this aimless storytelling-method is that Rockstar never moved on from it. He also mentions how much he hates the race against Hilary in Vice City.

http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=43189

Vice City is pretty much just a beat for beat remake of Scarface when you get right down to it. After a while THAT drageed that game for me a little. Another example of this was Silent Hill 2 (or maybe 3) lifting SO MUCH from Jacob's Ladder. I mean straight up ripping it off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Convex posted:

I think SH4 was the most blatant. It had the subway station for one thing. The whole series is pretty heavily inspired by it though, especially the rusty abandoned wheelchair stuff

That's the one I was thinking of then. It's been a while but I remember one SH game blatantly ripping off Jacob's Ladder. The subway scene definitely stood out. Think they did a hospital gurny scene too.

EDIT: No, wait, SH4 was the room and not the one I was thinking of . Maybe I'm getting them mixed up. that, or they all stole from that movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FutureCop posted:

So I've been playing Alien: Isolation and having a great time. I find the presentation to be top-notch: they really nail that old-school psuedo-future feel (we're in space but computers are running DOS) and the aesthetic for the Aliens franchise. The gameplay is really great too and I like how they encourage you to play it on hard, even though it did cause me to bounce off of it initially due to some difficulty spikes early on (but I warmed up to it).

However, I got far enough in the game where they started to introduce facehuggers, and so I uninstalled the game and burnt my computer to ashes, resigning myself to never beating it. I know, it was silly of me to not expect it (I really thought it would purely be the one drone alien) and it is a silly phobia of mine that I should try to get over, but something about facehuggers causes me to go temporarily insane.

I've had to do the same for other games as well, like Duke Nukem 3D with their slime facehuggers specifically designed to traumatize kids. The only ones that have gotten away with it are Half-Life, because the head-crabs don't fully latch onto your screen (though the poison headcrabs took some getting used to) and System Shock 2 (actually, they might've only had freaky eggs, not facehuggers, I can't remember).

Flamethrower those fucks. That part of the game doesn't last too long if I remember right.

Awesome loving game though. I'd like to see them spin it out into an "Isolation" franchise and do poo poo like Terminator, Halloween, Friday the 13th and maybe even something like Die Hard.

I'd settle for a straight sequel that let you fight back a little bit more but make ammo super scarce.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Glukeose posted:

Heavy Rain

Sean! SEAN! SEAN!!!!

I never played the game and don't know anything about it but every time I hear the title mentioned I always think of Bowfinger (Chubby Rain).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone ever play The Thing way back on PS2?

It was a really cool game for the most part but it had a mechanic where you could collect test kits and use them on NPC's to see who was an alien. Except the game had lots of scripted sequences that required certain character to "thing out " at given moments in the story. So you could have a dude strapped to a chair or standing right in front of you in a small shed or something, you'd test him, he'd be negative but then he'd transform and attack you anyway.

Seems like a wasted opportunity for a cool game mechanic and something the developers could have found a clever work around for. The testing kits were rare anyway, as I recall, so all they had to was switch the infected character around. As it was the kits were useless.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

I remember reading old game mags and in the previews for the game, as said above, it was less story driven and more about exploration and there was a timed element due to the threat of exposure. So IDEALLY you'd want to keep all your dudes together, but realistically they'd have to split off to accomplish objectives such as repairing fuse boxes and collecting supplies. So when a dude comes back from picking up milk from the corner shop you'd have to keep a close eye on him.

gently caress, a game like "State of Decay" but your in a Thing-Infected town(like the tv show that never got made) would be great. Bob comes back from a supply run but you've ran low on testing kits. Do you lock him in the fruit cellar and ruin everyone's morale or run the risk of him assimilating someone the next time they go for a dump?

Right except dudes got infected without ever being out of your sight. I remember one scene where the guy was either tied up or sitting in room with you, he gets tested negative and then things out 30 seconds later. It happened a few times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Oh yeah, totally. The game that came out just didn't work at all. All that stuff was pre-game hype talk where they said they had an engine that was being built that would track all your dudes and all the "things" on a map. It SOUNDED so cool and what we got was... a bit pants..

I don't even see why it was that hard to pull off. Like...if you NEEDED a Thing to show up to advance the story, just have one show up in another room, bust through the door or make it "the cat" or some poo poo. Or change it to another untested NPC, which would have made it even better because then you could know who to watch, keep an eye on and have a gun ready for, etc.

The way they did it rendered the testing kits 100% useless, loving up a pretty damned cool game and wasting a suspenseful element of the game play. I wound up really enjoying it in spite of this broken mechanic and wish they'd make another but...I mean...if they KNEW it was broken then just have the testing kits be used in specific scenes like in the movie; 2 or 3 set pieces. Give us 3 kits and maybe 10 guys and let us decide based on facial tics, cues and who has been out of our sight for a while. Make us think and remember who was where. Perhaps even reward the player with more kits for these scenes based on our game play to that point so if we did well and found secrets we get more kits.

The tech available at the time wouldn't limit this approach in any way. And , I mean, of ALL the things (heh) to break in the game, how'd they gently caress up something so vital to the experience and that was so easily workable? Especially when the devs seemed to want to emphasize it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Maybe the thing is in the kits.

hmmm...

I like this explanation. Dude was negative till I hosed him up with my unsanitary blood kit. Knew I should have sterilized that loving wire hanger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

^^^^to be fair, that game did have some real neat moments. it made a solid horror game just not a solid the thing game.

Agreed. I enjoyed the hell out of that game in spite of its flaws. I mentioned it before but I'd like to see them spin off the Alien: Isolation into a franchise of sorts and The Thing would be a good one to build around. You'd have to change a few mechanics, obviously, but even in spite of the broken test kit part of a, what...15 year old game? I still dug most of it.

If they re-did it, along with improving that broken blood test element, I'd like to see them make it a real survival horror experience. Scarce ammo, limited resources, freezing cold and poo poo like that. Online multiplayer might even work where you co-op but no one knows who's infected.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah the 10-20-50 times thing is what made me break my TV because I thought I was doing something wrong and/or this is the stupidest loving end-boss battle in the universe. It felt like they just spawned uncontrollably and you could also see the next robots ready to come over in the background.

Same. I thought there was something else I was supposed to shoot that I was missing and that I was caught in a loop of never ending re-spawning gears. Fight sucked. It would have been better if you'd just fought one of them and/or it'd change forms and tactics when it takes enough damage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nearing the end of my Wolfenstein binge (New Blood, New Order and New Colossus ). Having a lot of fun but it's starting to get old.

One thing that keeps eating at me is the constant set pieces that you trigger where 800 motherfuckers just start streaming out of the hallway, all armed to the teeth and with little to no sense of self preservation. Not talking about the commander levels where you trigger alarms or boss battles but the certain points in the game where it's just scripted and insane. Starts off quiet with nobody in sight or earshot and then the game turns on the Nazi spigot.

I like planning a level out and working my through via exploration, strategizing and paying attention to my environment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

No Man's Sky, having never played it, sounds like one of several video games over the last couple of decades that promised to revolutionize the medium and came up way short. Red Steel, Black, Ultima Online, Heavy Rain, Two Worlds, Fable, Black and White, come to mind.

There was a really old caveman simulator called "Tale of the Sun" or something like that which similarly interesting in concept but terrible in execution. Bushido Blade was an old PS1 fighting game that promised to make sword fighting real but was no fun to play. Turns out one hit kills suck.

Shenmue is another one. Turns out driving a forklift and passing the time is realistic but not so enjoyable to simulate.

They have to remember to make these games FUN. At the end of the day, all games are carrot/stick mechanics. Simple phone games like Candy Crush and really early Nintendo NES games like Mario and Metroid have figured this out. You have to make it fun for the PLAYER (not the developer) and give them a reason to keep going. Exploring for its own sake is loving boring.

How they hosed this game is beyond me. Looks like they had a really cool hook and then just stopped, figuring that'd be enough. I mean, drat. they could have just Bethesda'd or Witcher'ed it up a notch and it seems like that would have been enough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Something similar happened with Sea of Thieves. In itself it's a nice and fun sorta-cooperative multiplayer game, though it was really rather light on content particularly on release. But for whatever reason Microsoft had picked it out as the new flagship product for this year and launched a fairly massive marketing push. Which of course only made the backlash that much more severe when it turned out that this game focused primarily on unlocking cosmetics had like four outfits total to choose from. :laffo:

Has there ever really been a good pirate game? Seems like a genre ripe for the open world treatment. Customize your ship and such. Gather a crew and form alliances.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I guess the MMO pirate games (Pirates of the Burning Sea, for one example, had a player-influenced economy, multiple factions, and ship customizing)? Never played them, but I don't remember seeing as much raging about them not having anything to do, like the complaints about Sea of Thieves.

Looking it up again, Burning Sea even had player-submitted ship designs? They had to pass an approval process, but that's neat.

For some reason I think there was a Pirate themed Action/RPG for the Dreamcast or PS2. I might be getting it mixed up with something else though. Google fails because if i enter "Pirate game", all my hits are how to illegally copy poo poo.

I'd like to see Bethesda or CD Projekt take a shot at something. Make it open world but set it mostly on the ocean and populate it with small/medium/big islands. Throw some caves, skeletons, ghost ships, sea monsters, giant sharks, squids, octopus and poo poo in there. Get some Jason and the Argonauts stuff rocking for some land missions. Hardest part would be figuring out naval combat and ship boarding...or even crew management. Maybe the crew management part could be like X-com and the adventure and exploration parts be more like Witcher or Elder Scrolls.

Is there a "post your idea for a game" thread? I might start one.

Really surprised to see so much love for Shenume. I thought it was universally loathed and I was bored shitless with it. If I wanted to set my alarm, get stuck in traffic, go to work and drive a forklift I'd...wake up, drive to work and operate a forklift. I didn't realize there was so much adoration for Bushido Blade either. I remember falling for the hype and being excited to run around in a fighting game but hating it when I got it.

Maybe I gave up on it too quick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

People love Shenmue precisely because it manages to celebrate the mundane in a setting that accurately captures a very specific time and place. The absence of constant action, getting an allowance, driving a forklift around, following people as they lead out their own little boring lives, these are exactly the things that make the game so memorable and unique.

Fair enough. Not telling people what to like. I loving hated it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hel posted:

Did you go into it expecting a fighting game or an adventure game? because it's very much the latter, it just uses martial arts for theme and story instead of mechanical focus.

The former. It just wasn't for me (or my PS1 room mate foe at the time).

NHL 94 on the other hand...

EDIT: Oh wait. I thought you were asking me about Bushido Blade and mis-read your post.. I expected an adventure game with Shenume but, like I said, didn't feel like loving around with mundane poo poo I can do in my regular, boring and horrible life and it didn't interest me.

I play video games to do things I CAN'T do and experience on my own (quarterbacking an NFL team, killing zombies and aliens, being Batman, etc.)

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jul 31, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

KingSlime posted:

thankfully bad/rushed games are a non-issue for anyone who can read, just do some basic googling before you plunk down your hard-earned $60 or whatever

I seriously just wait probably 2 or 3 years to buy or play anything that comes out or buy new console and I'm perfectly happy with it. If just wait I can pick up Batman, Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, Resident Evil or whatever for loving 10 bucks at a flea market and all the kinks are ironed out to boot. I learned along time ago to never be first on new tech but motherfuckers line up around the block on Black Friday to buy phones and consoles and pre-orders and it's baffling to me.

Never understood the rush. There's SO MANY great games out there that no one with a life will ever have time to play them all. BEst thing is if you like sports games you can buy last year's version of NHL, NBA or Madden for like 2 bucks and have a perfectly fun time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I really like it too but got bored as hell with it because it's just too damned easy. I don't think I died in a fight once except for maybe one boss.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vic posted:

But this way I can recommend this game to non 'gamers' because its really beautiful if you're into the art thing, and it doesn't let you get stuck.

Oddly, the only challenge I faced was that I DID manage to get lost a few times, which is never fun. I hated the slow scrolling text too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I decided to jump back into Witcher 3 for the first time since *checks save*, gently caress, 2016. And after playing through multiple third-person action games, it's loving hard to get used to these controls. I am constantly pressing R1 to attack, circle to attack, R2 to attack, and sometimes I actually press the right button. I'm trying to interact with triangle, circle, and square before X, constantly forgetting how to switch spells and throw bombs, and on the hardest difficulty it basically means dying at almost every fight. I'm getting more used to it over time, but jesus my brain simply refuses to switch contexts.

I had the same issues, amongst several others. I really wanted to like the game and loved the story and the graphics . Like you, I had trouble switching things too. My biggest issue with it though was the interface, the way Geralt turns when looting and constantly having to look at the tiny mini map and access the menus. The crafting and inventory systems weren't too great either

When I was foraging and exploring, I kept staring at the little circle radar thing instead of the world and it was frustrating.

Perestroika posted:

updates and menus

I have a semi related issue like this that happens a lot on xbone.

I'll have my game in the tray and go to launch it and it'll say "do you own this game? Insert disc now, etc." when the loving disc is already in there. I'll pop it out and reinsert it...nope. Often I have to reboot the system to get the game to launch. Minor quibble but annoying.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Aug 9, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Glad I ignored Gwent entirely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A lotta games do "The Chosen One" thing and it doesn't really bother me. I can't recall an instance where it hosed up a game since it's usually just main story driver. The game plays the same and, I mean, what's the point of playing if your character's whole deal is "I'm a shrubber named Roger"?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I too am ambivalent about the trope, but this does make me think of all of those terrible tabletop games that expect characters to begin as poor, stupid, useless, ugly nobodies and toil away until they might someday earn the privilege of awkwardly swinging a stick at some rats before dying instantly.

I think it's worse in table top games because, in my experience, almost every player wants to be Captain Badass and regail us with their super cool backstory and poo poo. Usually everyone wants the limelight. That's why i always liked to DM smaller groups.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finally got around to playing the Resident Evil remake and can't stand the tank controls and the fixed camera any more. I used to be kick rear end at that loving game back in the day but now find it too frustrating to aim. Always hated the door opening animation too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I hate when games have an "injured" section where all of a sudden your character is wounded in some story way and you have to walk through an area slowly, with the character stumbling around. It always seems like it goes on for way too long and is especially annoying if you're ever replaying a game.

The end level of Outlast was bananas with this poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not "dragging it down", per se, but I started Prey last night and am already experiencing analysis paralysis in my decision making. I'm worried about making wrong choices with my upgrade tree, my weapons and am sort of overwhelmed with all the options I have and places to go. I love the risk/reward of exploring versus uncovering new mimics.

I'm only in the lobby.

Game is tense and very creepy so far but seriously worrying about loving myself. Hopefully most any build is playable. Hoping the scope eventually does more and allows me to reveal some of those fuckers by scanning.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

If you're still at the Lobby, go wild exploring. There are multiple ways to get in places and even if you find an enemy your pistol can't take down by itself, there should be something around to help you down it easily. Don't worry about Abilities but make sure you don't forgo Combat.

Yeah, thanks. I'm figuring it out. Built my first glue bridge to circumvent a key card and that felt great. Game is pretty bad rear end and I always feel like I am in danger which is good and what I want in a scary game. Thing dragging it down so far though is, holy poo poo, the load times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Hope you're not playing on the Ps4 because, boy. By the end, I had my phone on hand to check on Twitter or something else while it loaded.

Xbone. Still slow as poo poo loading though. Reloading after a death is OK but traversing between levels...I could go make waffles.

Thanks to the goons who told me to get good with the shotgun. One shotting mimics feels so good after all the poo poo they put me through since the 9mm is worthless. Hoping there's some sort of scope upgrade eventually that lets me tag areas. A sniper rifle would be nice too.

Speaking of the scope, I'm so used to using R3 to melee in games that I keep switching to scope mode when i'm trying to mash a motherfucker with a wrench, so that's hosed me up a few times.

Heard mixed things about this game but I'm really digging it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Replaying Arkham Asylum. Good to know that almost a full decade later I still have a bad grasp of the combat mechanics. Just can't seem to get a good pacing for button presses.

I had the same problem for a while. Trick is to go slow and don't button mash. Every press has to be meaningful and in the right context. Also, ABC..."Always Be Countering"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Really digging "Prey" but it could use a greater variety of enemies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

In the PS4 Spider-Man game there's a level set in a house of mirrors but none of the mirrors actually work.

How does that even work? I take it that's a Mysterio level? Is there video anywhere? So jealous I can't play this game since I'm stuck on Xbone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks.

HOLY poo poo this game looks good. I wish there were still places to rent consoles so I could binge through this in a weekend. Still seems to me they could have rendered the reflections but I'm not a computer expert. At least they could have put a bunch of different Mysterios in the mirrors.

Seems to me there was a hall of mirrors in one of the Batman games where you had to pinpoint the real Joker...?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Len posted:

I assume that means you don't have a Family Video nearby because they do exactly that

I do not. Wish I did cause that sounds cool. I could be a dick and buy a PS4, binge thru the game and then return it but nah. I remember renting consoles from Blockbuster to play Doom and A Link to the Past back in the day. Only fully rendered mirrors I can recall were in one Silent Hill game and the first Resident Evil.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for 10 bux. Haven't played a DE game in a long while but remember liking it. Anything drag it down that I should know about or avoid before I fire it up? I hate going down a worthless skill tree or wasting time on dumb poo poo ina game only to find out none of it mattered.

Thanks in advance.

Also grabbed NBA 2k16 about a month ago and that game owns, especially all the classic teams and players, but a few things bug me. When did sports games remove "create a team" options? Neither Madden 16 or this one has that feature. I used to love creating my own uniforms and stuff. in NBA, the shot stick is taking me a LOT to get used to. You shoot with the right analog stick and aim it in different directions to do fade aways, hooks and dunks but I'm SO used to button presses for this stuff.

There's also a shot meter shaped like a circle under each player that's used to show his sweet spot to release the shot but way too often a score overlay or another player sort of obscures , especially during free throws.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, I take back what I said about Prey not having enough variety in monsters and for being too easy. I'm getting loving owned and worried that I gimped myself on the skill tree or missed a poo poo ton of nueromods. Thing dragging the game down for me is not always knowing where to go next and being unsure who to tag on the roster list.

I need to pay more attention.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

What's your general strategy when it comes to fighting enemies? What weapons/powers do you use?

Gloo gun and firearms mostly. So far anyway. And I have the neuromod recipe but never enough poo poo to make one. I am bad at Preying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

You never took the Necropsy perk?

Apparently not. Most of my points have been spent on combat stuff, stealth, health and inventory slots. I think I'm approaching it too much as a traditional FPS and not thinking outside the box enough by taking advantage of everything. There's just SO MANY options and ways to go with a build.

I like the challenge though so it's all good and if I get too overmatched I can bump it down to easy. Cool game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Len posted:

I forgot how dumb the entire last section of the first God of War is.

The last boss is the worst though because it takes away every tool youve had up to that point in favor of a big sword that has none of the utility of your previous weapons.

At least the ps3 port isn't freezing on my constantly like my ps2 copy did

I so lucked out with that when I played it.

Ares got stuck in an animation on the side of the screen or some such poo poo and I just wailed on him. I didn't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Some goon in the Resident Evil thread posted this

quote:

And yeah QTE's are often just lazy dumb poo poo, with the worst being those masquerading as "interactive cut scenes". Get the gently caress out of my face with that poo poo, making me press buttons suddenly while I'm holding the controller with one hand and grabbing a drink in the other. Bastard.

And , yeah, that loving blows. I'll be meandering through an un-skippable cut scene and my attention will wander resulting in a knife in my throat or getting run over by a car or some poo poo.