Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Thinky Whale posted:

Didn't even Metal Gear Rising take a second between having you hack up PMCs to say, "hey, a lot of these guys are just people who didn't have a lot of other job options"?
It had an entire section where the protagonist is forced to listen to their panicked thoughts as they rush into certain death.

Watch Dogs, on the other hand, tends to tweak the profiling tidbits towards psychopaths. Sure, there are some Regular Joes there too, but you also get stuff like pyromania or dishonorable discharges. Acceptable targets, in other words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Oldstench posted:

I've apparently had Deus Ex:HR for a long time from some Steam sale, but never played it. Started it this weekend and decided to be Mr. Ghost; stealthy and non-lethal. Oh, there are boss fights that require you to be a well-armed killing machine...
Cheese them with the stun gun. If you get a headshot, you have just barely enough time to reload before the stun wears off. There is an exception to this rule, but you can
do a takedown when he's climbing a wall.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm at the very end of Dust: An Elysian Tail and I feel like the game has really ground to a halt since the "go get items from four houses all spread across this map" section. It wasn't bad on its own, but the areas since seem like enemy hp/damage has scaled much faster than my own, and the maps (which seem to have ballooned in size) are just carpeted with enemies, making getting for point a to point b a real pain in the rear end.
And even with the increased HP and enemy density, my problem was that the combat didn't even feel any more difficult; Spamming Dust Storm and Fire Pillars scaled ridiculously well, and once you got the rhythm down you could do it as long as you wanted.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Jaramin posted:

The "an alien is talking" sound clips from KOTOR make me turn off the sound whenever I need to have a long conversation with one. I would rather sit through a million badly animated conversations with real words than hear AGGABAGAWAHHH on repeat ever again.
Freespace 2 had an interesting compromise where each Vasudan used the same alien speech clip, but the translation was dubbed over it with synthesized speech.

Content:
The final levels in Serious Sam. Oh look, some powerups in a wide open space. I wonder what will happen. A couple of them were nice, but entire levels with nothing but the exact same setup every time get really tedious. Would it be too much to ask to add some obstacles so that you're forced to use something other than the endless circle-strafe every time?

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

And holy poo poo that TBC chart, is that for real?
Most of it, yes. It abbreviates soloable parts of the questlines, many of the low-level locks could be bypassed by a rogue, and it was made before the Black Temple was patched in. Getting in there requires killing a boss in Serpentshrine Cavern, an another in Tempest Keep and one in Hyjal. Sunwell did not have any attunement, but you would not get far without Black Temple gear.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Overweight Shark posted:

To get to my complaint about TBC though, the only time attunement is more complex than "easy dungeon unlocks hard dungeon" and actually gets to be a pain in the rear end is for the privilege of going to Tempest Keep so you can have the honor of having your guild break up and all your friends quit because of the Kael'thas fight. gently caress Kael'thas and his long rear end whiny speech and ten minute intro every time you attempt the fight.
And it's even worse when you have 24 people who thought they'd never have to see Kael'thas again be there just to get the new guy through the attunement chain. Thankfully the Sunwell patch made many of the attunements optional.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games
Katamari games had the King of All Cosmos get upset if you started playing before he was done explaining the objective of the level.

Content:
The level design in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is starting to become stale. There are only so many ways to make a section where you have to switch characters after each jump.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Yes. Destiny has controls wherein you actually move a mouse pointer with the gamepad.

This is true in the PS4 version too. They could actually use the touchpad for more than a big gimmick button, but.. :effort:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, it's not actually required to beat the game. In fact, the only area where you actually need it is the pit where you're forcibly taught how to walljump in the first place.
Yes, the section is completely optional. Space Jump makes walljumping obsolete, but you can get a lot of goodies early if you know how to do it.

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: I decided I had nothing better to do at 2AM so I looked it up on Youtube and after some messing around I think I've gotten the hang of it. The timing on it is fairly precise, and the visual cues and general logic of it aren't all that intuitive. From what I can tell, Samus doesn't go into "wall jump mode" unless you hold away from the wall while your momentum carries you into it, which leaves you with only a split second to hit the jump button before you switch directions and promptly fall away from the wall. Holding the run button isn't necessary, but doing so helps your momentum a whole hell of a lot.
Many games have an intermediate step in walljumping where the character grabs the wall and turns away automatically. Even the monkeys do it, so they can be a bit misleading.

Content:
They Bleed Pixels is a retro platformer with plenty of opportunities for instant deaths, so the controls have to be pretty tight. But certain moves like the kick require you to stand still and press the attack button. But if you hold the directional pad to the side while pressing the attack button, you'll do a weak slash instead. Both attacks have knockback, so if you accidentally do one instead of other, you end up doing a clumsy shuffle after the opponent. Why didn't they just use an another button for the kick?

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

melon cat posted:

And on the topic of things dragging videogames down- I just re-fired up Red Alert 2. I used to love this game growing up, but I don't know how I had the patience for the horrible UI. Maybe I'm becoming a blind old gamer, but I gave up after I started losing my 5 pixel-wide units on the large map. I lasted ~20 minutes in my last replay of RA2 before rage-quitting after I couldn't find the tanks that I scattered across the map.

I have a similar reaction when I try to move large amounts of units in any RTS that isn't Total Annihilation or inspired by it. Waypoints, patrol routes, ferrying waypoints, formations and Select All of This Type hotkeys remove so much micromanagement.

Elite: Dangerous is the remake of the classic space exploration games. Like the previous games, it has a procedurally generated galaxy with realistic distances. And because it has multiplayer, they couldn't just slap in time acceleration. Instead, you get SuperCruise, which lets you accelerate near-infinitely and then slow down when you're getting closer to your destination. But unlike in Frontier or First Encounters, you don't get an autopilot. In small solar systems it's fine; You need to dodge stars other gravity wells and intercept other ships. But in some systems you might have to travel for fifteen minutes or so with absolutely nothing happening. But if you don't do small cource corrections or don't finetune your throttle during deceleration, you will go off course or overshoot your target. It's Desert Bus in Space.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is a little bit like finding where the saves are stored on a PC game. Is it in Documents? Some random hidden folder in .appdata behind piles of folders with gibberish names? Actually in the steamapps data for the game next to the executable because that makes sense? A folder created for the publisher in Documents that is then never actually used for any of their other games?
The more aggravating part is that this problem is solvable. Windows has a special folder set designated for saved games, the user can relocate it to wherever they want, and games can ask Windows where that folder is. But because this feature was introduced in Vista, nobody uses it. I have a single game that does: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Even Revelations, a game in the same franchise by the same publisher that was released in the same year doesn't use it.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The only ones that didn't have 'daddy issues' were Legion (who is a robot), Garrus
Garrus' dad is a by-the-book guy, which turned Garrus into a cowboy cop. In both his loyalty missions in ME1 and ME2, you can either encourage him towards vigilantism or restrain him. He works things out with his dad on his own between ME2 and ME3.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

So I'm playing World of Warcraft (because my boyfriend is away at work for a month) and I have a pretty dumb complaint. Leveling/questing is way, way too easy now. Like, I can run around the zones aggroing as many mobs as I feel like and not even be remotely close to dying. At least in the previous expansions of this I remember pulling multiple mobs was kinda risky. Now it's totally effortless.
I pretty much skipped the second expansion, so I had the same reaction with instances. I knew the Burning Crusade instances by heart, so it was somewhat shocking to be able to pull a quarter of the instance and wait while people AoEd them down. By the time I got to the Northrend instances it had gotten pretty old.

Content:
The Talos Principle is a pretty interesting puzzle game, but it also has multiple endings and achievements and you can almost do all of them in a single playthrough; The game only autosaves when you get a puzzle piece, so at the end you can revisit any area and choose any of the three main endings. But there's also an optional AI that you can talk to, and the progress in those discussions is tracked separately. And in my last autosave, I can't talk to him anymore. So now I have to replay almost all puzzles and then talk to the AI to get the remaining achievements.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Biplane posted:

My favorite little thing dragging down phantom pain is after I did the mission where you rescue a mujahideen pow and he becomes your best friend, mother base autosorted him into one of the away teams as soon as he landed and he was instantly reported killed.
Mission 10? You need to have a well-staffed medical team to save Malak. Fortunately, you can always replay the mission.

Content:
Colony ships in Stellaris that are built in shipyards that are in sector-controlled systems are not shown in the list of civilian ships, unlike science ships and constructors. You either have to go to the prospective colony planet and give the colonize command there or find the system where you built the colony ship.

Also, upgrading a large fleet seems to take a ridiculously long time. You can speed things up by splitting the fleet and telling them to go get refitted in different shipyards. By the time everything is refitted and the fleet is back together, you get to do it again because you got an another upgrade.

I've also lost an entire fleet because the war ended when that fleet was in hyperspace. Fleets left behind in enemy territory find their way back to friendly space eventually, but not this one. The fleet remained halfway between two systems and wouldn't respond to any commands.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

wyoming posted:

While it is really cool that Axiom Verge was made entirely by one dude.
I kinda wish someone had been around to tell him "No." on there being 20 weapons.
I had such high hopes when the first few locked doors relied on specific firing patterns. And many of them are so gimmicky that they're dangerous to use in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So I started playing Diablo 3 and I don't know poo poo about seasons or Adventure Mode and the game doesn't seem especially rushed to explain it to me. But I guess I have to grind to level 70 in the first chapter of the game or something? Seems pretty weird to give me a quest for end-game content but not tell me what I'm doing.
Adventure Mode is meant to be open-ended where you can pick any of the five Acts in the game and have the game generate objectives for you. If you want a more guided experience through the entire game, play the Campaign first. Seasons are for speedrunners who already know the game inside and out and want to compete in finding the fastest leveling strategies.