Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Woolie Wool posted:

God forbid people role play in a roleplaying game. Who would do such a thing, it's only the entire reason the genre was invented and the source of its name.

What?

I've got three words for you that prove you wrong.

But thou must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ramos posted:

Isn't that mostly due to a ridiculous level of bullshit Australians have to deal with in terms of censorship?

Also the shipping of physical media. And the fact that physical and digital have the same price for all the reasons

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiggum posted:

One of the best things about modern games is how you don't have to read a manual or discover basic things through trial and error because they just tell you how to play the game as you play it.

If you have to play for several hours before the game gets good, it is a bad game.

It's a matter of proportion. Witcher games are 40+ hours. Playing for 1 is less than 5% of the game. Complex games introduce mechanics slowly. Simple combat is usually boring combat. Couple that with power progression in just upgrading basic abilities as you go, I think it is a fallacy to say playing a game for several hours to get good makes it a bad game. It may not be a game you enjoy, but that doesn't make it bad.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Mad Max: the camera while driving is pretty terrible. It keeps trying to swing in random directions, and sporadically decides to lock on what's being dragged by my harpoon. It's also finicky about looking up so some scarecrows are hard to grab.

Driving physics are also pretty bad. Almost as floaty as the Mako. I've managed multiple times to get my vehicle on its side and unrecoverable in the middle of a driving mission. You also can't fast travel in alternative vehicles, and loading times all around are pretty bad.

There's also too many useless scavenging locations. Areas you can't access until the end of the game will give 4 scrap. Endgame upgrades are over 1500 scrap. There's 191 scavenging locations. It gets real old real quick.

Still a fun game, but I think it needed another QoL pass before being shipped.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Grey Fox posted:

I was debating whether or not to take another stab at FXIII since it's on sale through Steam, but then I remembered why I quit the first time when I played on PS3: multiple hardlocks during long-rear end boss fights. I can't remember any big-name JRPG with as many technical problems as FXIII.

Never again.

You mean ff xiii? If it helps I never had a single hard lock playing on 360, and I believe that was the version used for porting

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
You can increase drop rates in bloodborne. There's a rune and a stat to boost it. You can also get unlimited levels to increase stats with.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This doesn't change the fundamental problem at all.
Except it literally does because the comment was talking about low drop rates and people were talking about games increasing drop rates?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging GTA games down:

New plan for Rockstar success: replace writing staff with 10 yr. old with adhd. Cheaper and better.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Woolie Wool posted:

I ended up losing interest in Bulletstorm fairly early on, partly because of who they decided to kill and who they didn't at the beginning of the game. The redneck guy should have been the one who survived and the whole thing should have been played for redneck comedy, but nooooo, the boring guy had to become a boring, angry cyborg instead.

The redneck is the main character though?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
[quote="Krinkle" post=""457889730"].

I fundamentally can't understand why they don't let you be a class "in need" as many times as possible a day. If there's nothing in it for people nobody will queue up to heal/tank and the lines back up anyway. There's like four tank classes, three healers and thirty DPS types so everything is backed up all to poo poo and leveling a ninja is basically a hell ordeal of waiting for your number to get called.
[/quote]

You CAN get ain as many times as you want, wtf. It literally says in the duty finder "The 'adventurer in need' reward is always available "

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tardcore posted:

Also extremely annoying humming apparently.

Also vagina bombs

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

Dark Souls 3 has confused me - The Witch on the stairs towards the cathedral was apparently replaced with a standard Worker with a pitchfork. Of course the doors open from the other side, but still... are the enemies randomised somewhat or what has happened there?

They're not random per se. As mentioned, some patrol, but it also seems some have slightly broken ai that ends up despawning them. Doesn't happen often as in to many enemies, though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

thecluckmeme posted:

They literally redo the archer bit from DS1 with an extra archer that kills you if you go "oh, it's the archer bit, i know how to do this" lol

Never having gotten to that part in DS1, it was piss easy in DS3, because I didn't charge in like a twit, lured one out at a time, and they ran themselves off the edge. Lack of knowledge of old Souls games seems like a bonus.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Action Tortoise posted:

also projectiles track your movements even when I think they shouldn't. like soul arrows and flame breaths could do it bc they're magic but crossbow bolts and arrows shouldn't curve to your path. I'm not playing wanted here

You're right about the rest, but arrows don't curve. I've constantly avoided arrows by simply stepping a little to the left. The game is hard, but don't invent poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RyokoTK posted:

Arrows totally curved in DS2, did they remove that for DS3?

Apparently it's just lessened? The only souls game I've gotten far in before this was bloodborne. I tried what Action Tortise said and there's a bit of curve, but it's super minor. Almost like the arrow has sideways momentum from the archer turning. It's probably tied to some programming thing they can't fix.

I'd probably stop gaming if every game was Souls hard though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm okay with there being tiers of challenge classes in DS3. It allows scrubs like me to ease in to tougher builds. Play the game with the easy class to learn where everything is, and then move to a pyromancer for instance.

What does drag the game down for me is the lack of titanite slabs in ng+, and the difficulty in getting chunks. I wanna play around with different weapons in the early part, but if it's only +6, it's not a lot of fun, and dammit, I want +10 or +5.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Judge Tesla posted:

You can buy infinite amounts of Chunks, Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales if you find a certain type of Umbral Ash in Archdragon Peak which means you can have everything up to +9 or +4 for special/boss weapons.

Yeah, but that's not quick to get to in ng+, and the souls required is prohibitive in ng.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I gotcha now. You just wanna be better than everyone else by virtue of being the protagonist and not because someone played the most hardcore game of fantasy eugenics to breed the perfect Chocobo One True Warrior Destined To Save Us All. I feel you.

Yeah. I'll agree on hating "you were born special" done in that fashion. Game is a lot less fun when the developer says "you were destined to win from the start." Of course I was going to win, but make it because I was awesome, not because I'm super-human. The protagonist of D1 didn't need to be special to jam a gem in his head.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Leal posted:

The lack of things to do solo or with a smaller party in FF14. I would like to make some form of advancement... just not with 3 retards dragging me down (I try my hardest to not do any of the raids, cause then its 7 or 23). There IS an option to run SOME content undersized with no syncing of your level and gear, but its just some. And its stuff that is so far obsolete. At best I can run a few select dungeons alone/with a single friend to get some glamour gear, but I can't run anything in the expansion solo or undersized. Would be nice to run a few of the 50-59 dungeons for glamours or pets, or even gear for classes I do plan on leveling but don't want to deal with the guy wearing level 230 chest piece needing and winning the level 139 chest piece cause "I need seals lol".

There is going to be a dungeon put in Soon (TM) that will let you do stuff alone/not requiring 4 people to run, but thats not now :T

You are the thing dragging the game down. Move to Excalibur, join one of the THREE goon guilds, and people who don't suck will let you have gear drops you ask for. And the whole point of undersized is because people can be massively out levelled for the content, which isn't possible for the expansion yet. 2 people couldn't run a level 52 dungeon unless they were top tier players in full 240 gear.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Leal posted:

Its still a problem.

How can you not find 3 people out of the 1000 goons playing to regularly play with? gently caress, I managed to get a raid static of 7 others, plus if I just yell in tpt fc chat a half dozen more not-idiots are willing to tag along just for funsies. And I'm an unlikeable rear end. Try flopping to dgkk or tpt to see if you can find a few more regulars. Most of pbc is raidcentric from what I understand, and you said you don't care about that. Sunday Funday is a fine linkshell and all, but there's not a ton of people in it at all hours like fcs have.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Attestant posted:

Playing more horror games for my personal Spooktober, and started Evil Within 1, that I picked up from a PSN sale. So far not a huge fan, after the first hour or two.

The PS4 version is surprisingly ugly with jagged edges everywhere, and far too dark lighting, that they apparently try to hide with the film grain setting. The controls don't have proper inverse settings, just the vertical axis. And then the gameplay feels painfully derivative of various modern (or 2014) trends. You have your crafting, your EXP system, stealth mechanics are about throwing distracting items to get free instakill backstabs, or hiding in lockers and cupboards. Minigames to disarm traps (for more crafting components!) None of these matter for a horror experience, why are they here?

It's not a horror game. It's action-horror. It's why Resident Evil 5 and 6 didn't try and be scary. It doesn't work. Also it's a really bad game.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

This was confusing as hell until I figured out you meant rout (cause to flee), not route (path).

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Simply Simon posted:

having to kill Bed of Chaos twice".

I never got the Bed of Chaos hate. I mean, you just need to avoid randomly swinging attacks that blast your character around even if blocked, while navigating pits that aren't always visible until you get close to the...

oooohhhhh

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I usually do but that's because I almost always run glass cannon builds so I can kill those giants in two or three hits. I die in one or two. Shields are for neeeeerds.

I still love that they are literally dragon asses. At first I thought they were just called that because they looked like asses. But no, they actually are the rear end ends of those undead dragons you fight.

I feel like The Gutter in the Scholar edition of 2 actually does the dark atmosphere thing best. There's no light, it's pitch black. But there are torches to light everywhere. So you can manually illuminate the place at the cost of a shield or second weapon. It's all narrow, janky platforms like the first half of blight town but there's only like two enemy types. Big mutant dogs that are just as likely to fall off platforms to their death as you are, and largely harmless hollows usually bearing torches that show exactly where they are at all times. There are a lot of those hollows though so if you're wandering around with a torch, it's easy to get swarmed. The place is pretty maze-like and it's probably my favorite area in the whole game because of the way it's done with the darkness and how they use the torch. There are a ton of areas you can just leap and cut out half the map if you feel like it, even.

You know, you’re right. I did enjoy the gutter. I didn’t have to force myself at all to play that section. Shame about so much of the rest of Scholar.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I like Scholar more than basic Dark Souls 2. The new enemy layouts are my jam.

I never got to play basic DS2. Scholar is a loving terrible game for someone to play brand-new. Especially because if you're looking for help there's very little Scholar vs. basic that goes in-depth. The wiki is about the best source, but there's still contradictions in some areas. I would very likely enjoy Scholar if I had the opportunity to play the base game first.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

I don't disagree with you at all. I'd never recommend it as someone's first Dark Souls. But coming fresh off beating the first Dark Souls? It's pretty fun. It's a complete flip from the first game's layout style and I'm loving it.

Also, what contradictions are you talking about? I'm genuinely curious. The enemy placement in Scholar goes more for "lore friendly" over "poo poo that makes the game more accessible" Which is why you have a bunch of angry heide knights guarding the way to the way of blue now.

Sorry, I meant contradictions in the wiki when I was looking for help. I can’t remember which boss it was but two parts of the same article, one claimed it was fire-resistant, the other it was weak. I was approaching it from my side as a newbie to DS2, having to deal with SotFS as opposed to someone with prior knowledge of the game.

I enjoy the series, I’m just really bad at them so I do a lot of research.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So I’m going through Dark Souls 3 again because I just got the DLC, and I figured I’d clean up some trophies while I was at it. To get the collect all sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles, I now need to either grind potentially hundreds of mobs, or ram my face against the PvP, which I am not good at. Just because 3 covenants have 1 of each spell type.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I must have missed that. Bioshock 2 was worse than 1 in every way. And 1 wasn't that great.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know if they've fixed it but when I played PvP wasn't even a realistic option for 3 of the covenants because they worked so poorly. You'd have to wait hours for a single hit, and then you might not even win and get a token.

I got hits on Aldrich Faithful 4 times in 2 hours last night.

I lost all 4 times.

And the Farron Watchdogs sure as gently caress works considering how often I got invaded in the Crucifixion Woods. The lovely one is going to be Mound-makers, because I'm going to need THIRTY tokens. I can't even pretend that that's going to be fun, as apparently it's about a 1% drop rate for the item from the specific mob that can drop it, IF your item find is jacked up high. The other option is invading and losing more. I'll be doing that one last.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

For Mound Makers you can just invade people and kill them like the vanilla PvP covenant

I'm aware. The issue is I loving suck at, and therefore hate, Dark Souls PvP. I don't enjoy PvP in general, really. I spent my Embered PvE time with Way of Blue so I'd get help when invaded. But I'd really like to get the last 4 trophies I need, and for that I need 10 human dregs, 30 sunlight medals (which can be gotten via JOLLY CO-OPERATION!), and 30 vertebrae shackles, which can only be through PvP, or the really super-low rate drops from specific skeletons in the Catacombs of Carthus.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

If you're playing on PC just cheat. It's very easy to just use cheat engine to alter the number of items you have, turn them in and no worries. You won't get banned or anything - I've done it half a dozen times because gently caress farming sword grass.

PS4. Also, I’d thought the Symbol of Averice was a guaranteed drop if you killed all the mimics, but apparently not. That’s fine. Farming is... fine.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

You might have missed one? You kind of have to use lloyd's talismans on them if you want it with any reliability.

Yardbomb posted:

It is, so you missed one somewhere apparently.

I visited all the locations of ones where I didn't have the drop on me, so I guess it dropped from one and I just didn't see it. gently caress I hope it's still at the location of one of the others.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Have you tried running past the knights?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

The one thing that sucks about it is the Big Gross Magic Tree Club Guys. The swamp is just about the worst possible place to fight them, and slows you down enough that running is iffy at best, so I keep cheesing them with arrows or level geometry or whatever I can use. It went fine until I was finally at the base of what I am pretty sure is the path to the final fire, and one comes out of absolutely nowhere to one-shot me. The area is already frustrating and tense, you don't need a bunch of guys the size of houses that can fart homing missile skulls at you, come on.

I know the one you're talking about. It's the only one that free-wanders around a route. You're pretty close to the answer though. If you're melee, you need to drag them to solid ground, and stay in their crotch and roll as needed. Ranged is hosed and you need to just do what you've already been doing.

Overall, those guys deal way too much damage.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Drunken Baker posted:

Due to the nature of Shadow of War this MIGHT be bad RNG on my part, but...

I've got to level 45 and now all of the Orc who are popping up are so samey it's kind of boring.

I've heard that as a common complaint because of the loot-box orcs. It made it a lot harder to have uniqueness like the original.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just cleared the first level in Yooka Laylee, Pagies, Pirate Treasure and upgrades. It was largely fun to do, but the pagies for getting all the Quills and Ghostwriters have no fanfare and it can be hard to even tell you got anything for them, and there is no message for clearing a level. It feels like the game doesn't care that Tribalstack Tropics has been scoured of all the goodies including the pirate treasure. You'd think that a collectathon would give a poo poo that I collected the things. I don't know, maybe have the Grand Tome turn gold or something, some visual hint that the level is clear.

I've heard it said the Yooka Laylee developers didn't actually "get" collectathons, and what made them good or bad. And also made terrible controls. Sounds like it was half-right. Care to comment on the controls? I'm still considering getting it on sale :/

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah but the continues cost 50 cents each.

loving MICRO TRANSACTIONS

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah but the continues cost 50 cents each.

Wait, no:

loving PAY TO WIN!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still amazing how quickly Fable and every other Xbox ip poo poo the bed and died. Has there been even a single word about a new Halo?

7 Halo games on console and 2 mobile is not exactly making GBS threads the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Olaf The Stout posted:

The thing that killed my Prey run was completing a sidemission that spoiled the true nature of the game. You get an alternate ending that reveals so little and so much that it sucked all joy of the game completely out of me in just a few seconds. It's that sidemission at the very top of the spacestation, above the penthouse suite.

Now goons are going to fall all over themselves explaining how I should have seen the twist from the intro.

Oh man. I had thought that alternate ending was a true ending my first playthrough so I specifically didn't go for it because I'd put a lot of work in to a few things. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I'd gone for it first. And for what it's worth, I didn't see the twist coming at all.