Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vic posted:

Oh man I'm so fed up with Batman and the genre. Back when they used to be campy, you at least had the villain of the week which offers a gimmick.
The current run in the comics has regularly featured Kite Man and it's been fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It helps that Alpha Protocol was doing it within the context of genre tropes and so had a reason to be cheesy or sleazy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Len posted:

I love the Mad Max setting but this game just feels like any other open world collectathon game

It's got some really great touches but Max is a colossal arsehole and the collectathon is huge even by the standards of open world games. A good chillout game at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There was that lovely gimmicky internet thing about football in the far future that did the rounds last year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Erotic Wakes posted:

Alpha Protocol has the cool international law enforcement agency actually be the bad guys

"Spy is betrayed by their organisation and has to work against / outside it" is a genre staple though, to the extent that it's the basis for several James Bond films and most of the Mission Impossible films.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I don't want to be a dick, but if you're playing a Mass Effect game and your class doesn't use a Sniper Rifle, you picked the wrong class.

If playing a Vanguard in 3 is wrong I don't want to be right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

There's a sentiment you don't hear very often.

ME3's combat was a lot of fun. There's a reason people sunk so much time into the multiplayer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within has some neat mechanical improvements on Sands of Time, some good level design and a plot that leans into batshit time fuckery but holy poo poo the visual style and music are even more loving awful than I remembered. lovely nu-metal, "edgy" dialog, embarrassing female character designs, and an arsehole for a main character strip the game of a lot of the charm that the previous one had.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Megatron is a what

That's one hell of a take, even with IDW going off the deepend.
There's a long CineD thread based around the idea that the Transformers are actually good and interesting because Optimus Prime's characterisation is different to the cartoons.

I assume it's from there because of the way Megatron's model changes is one of the films.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Farcry 6 you should be an indentured Ubisoft employee who goes rogue

Isn't that the modern day plot of some of the later Assassin's Creed games?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't they write out all the non-bipedal races in Andromeda, in favor of two new races that look completely generic?

The wrote out some of the bipedal races too, including the easiest race to animate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That reminds me, what games are rendered almost unwinnable because at one point you get bottlenecked into a linear sequence, and if you weren't prepared beforehand you are very likely hosed? You can't backtrack or anything?

Lots of old Sierra games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Attestant posted:

I've been pretty baffled by No Man's Sky being so high up on steam sales charts. Did people really miss the PS4 release and how that went.

It came out on PC at the same time as PS4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I wonder how NMS would have been received if it hadn't received the huge PR push from Sony.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Has there ever been a sequel or remaster where the selling-point is that the game is shorter because they cut down on the back-tracking and padding?

Mass Effect 2 replaces all of ME1's repetitive featureless planets with actual side content. It's not really shorter but it does have less padding.

The later versions of Dark Souls (and all of the sequels) add in more teleport locations to cut down on backtracking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Okami's intro is way too long.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LA Noire's development was so tumultuous that it's a miracle the game was released in a playable state, let alone that it's pretty good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

I'd love to see a Chosen One mix with actual game mechanics rather than just being a narrative device. "How did you get here so fast? You ran?! It's six loving miles! And you haven't eaten anything in three weeks?!"

Doing regular player character poo poo like that is downright superheroic. Why not lean into it?

KotOR 2 basically says one of the reasons the protagonist is special is because they can earn XP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Prophecies are great for giving a character a direction and restrictions too.

Why can't you goof off? Because destiny says so. Why do you have to go that way? Fate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Splendor is the only one of those I'm curious about your hatred for. No dice, minimal ways to get hosed over, and generally should take ~45 minutes with reasonable adults.

It's dry, has a pasted on theme, and has minimal interesting player interaction. You could level the same criticisms at Dominion but that's got a lot more mechanical variety and depth.

I don't think Splendor is bad (it's great as a phone game) but I can see why someone might not like it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I have no idea why multiplayer-solitaire became popular because it seems to take one of the things people like about board games - playing them and socially interacting with other people - and remove the 'other people' part.

"Everyone make a farm and the best farm wins" means that even if you lose you still did something, and a low interaction game doesn't stop people from talking to each other.

Although I prefer my games to have decent amounts of interaction where both / all parties can benefit (eg I can kick you out of a spot but I have to pay you for it).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is still good but the last hour or two is a bit of a letdown. The loving elevator fight sucks because it's the first time you can really lose by Farrah dying, and then you have to play the rest of the game without time powers. It's not conceptually bad but it gets frustrating in practice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah like, if it were a movie itd be super thematic and great. As a game where checkpoints are pretty dang far apart since you have a do over button its really rough.

They do add in a few more hidden checkpoints in the area and it's a nice homage to the original game (given he also gets shirtless at that point) but it needed to be shorter or have you lose sand tanks over time rather than them all going at once.

Still a really charming, fun game. On to Warrior Within, which is only one of those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Warrior Within needs to stop with the sudden camera angle shifts mid-acrobatics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Did the plots in any Rockstar games ever make sense? Most of the time its just bumbling around doing bitch-work for different bosses. GTA V has a really flat climax where the three leads kill each others nemesises, so in the end you're just killing off total strangers, and its not explained why we couldn't have done this sooner. At least in Yakuza there is a thread of logic from the starting incident to the climactic shirtless punchout.

RDR certainly has the "bumble around working for different leaders" thing but the plot does lead somewhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mexico is almost all wheel-spinning as far as the main plot goes and is there so they can have a spaghetti western section of the game.

But the sections leading up to and including Marston's death and the title card when you get revenge are fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MGS1 and 2 control like poo poo and Twin Snakes doesn't do anything to fix that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

People will tell you Deathstroke in Arkham Origins was a good boss fight and they are wrong.

Speaking of Arkham-inspired games I just finished Mad Max. It's a fun game mechanically but the plot is far too interested in being depressing, culminating in Max pointlessly killing his closest ally.

And disarming the mindfields is some of the most irrelevant busywork I've seen in a game. There's no pressing gameplay or story reason to do them and the minesweeping mechanics are simple yet tedious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Decided to get into the LEGO Batman series and the first game is really really rough compared to the 500 newer LEGO games that have since come out. Poorer direction to the player, mulitpliers don't appear to work, but there definitely isn't an indication they're in effect, barely letting you escape deaths and being penalized heavily for it, etc etc.

The first Batman game is probably the nadir of the series, and made me realise how much the games needed to be adaptions or have dialog.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I started playing LEGO Jurassic World, which made me want to revisit LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (which holy hell I cannot believe I last played over ten years ago), and man, the quality of life improvements made to those games are just striking.
Like not having to reactivate red bricks each time you log on.

I'm still lovely at them for not releasing the third Hobbit movie as DLC like they announced.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Content: travel in Sunless Sea is too loving slow which is a problem given how much of the game involves travelling.

Len posted:

How are the Harry Potter ones? I'm tempted to get the complete version but I don't know where they stand on qol things.

I am hugely nostalgic for them for personal reasons.

If you like Harry Potter they're pretty good? No mid-level checkpoints is the biggest problem, especially for getting a handful of the more annoying collectibles. They've got the dynamic split-screen which is something you really miss when you go back to the older games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Boston truly embodied the essence of it's game; a parkour-simulator set on a perfectly flat city of low-lying buildings.
Going from Il Duomo, the Vatican, and Hagia Sofia to the Old North Church was a bit of a step down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What other possibly good games are there were compromised by a key developer being a poo poo-head, instead of the usual compromises like deadlines and budget restraints?

Fez 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought he wanted a worse one and the one that was released was a compromise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The real sin in that AC screenshot are the XP and trophy pop-ups.

exquisite tea posted:

That being said, I think there is a certain beauty to games that are so unified in their artistic vision that having a UI altogether is unnecessary, which is why I love stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, Gone Home, and Hellblade. The common thread there is that they all take a few hours to complete, however. It would be pretty hard for these 100 hour open-world behemoths to get around needing a UI.

Dead Space has a great diegetic UI in a relatively big game.

I don't think it's just a matter or size or artistic vision. For instance if you want players to have an idea of how much ammo they have then there aren't many options other than a HUD for most settings.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Veotax posted:

Haven't all the Assassin's Creed games had that? I didn't play most of the games after 3 but it sure as hell was in the first one and I'm pretty sure it didn't disappear after that.

You can do it in Rogue too. Speaking of which, here's a random screenshot of Rogue's UI, which seems pretty good

And for thread content: why the gently caress does Rogue want me to care about money? It's the easiest resource to get and the hardest to spend, and yet it's the reward from doing so many things.

Also it's padded to hell, even by AC standards. They clearly were trying to reuse assets from Black Flag and III as much as possible, so it's got a short (but decent) main campaign and 3 huge maps full of side content that you will only see a fraction of in the story. It could have been the size of Freedom Cry and lost nothing of importance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't the money complaint true in pretty much every Assassin's Creed? Can't remember the first one, but as far back as 2, you invested money into rebuilding your castle, which then gave you back more money to invest in rebuilding your castle. Then the castle was fully restored and you just accumulated money with nothing to spend it on.
It is!

Rogue makes it worse though. In (most of) the previous ones you were dumping money into buildings to get money out of them. In Rogue you can spend ship upgrade materials to increase your monetary income. Ship upgrade materials are actually actually implemented pretty well as a resource. Naval battles are fun, naval battles reward upgrade materials, upgrade materials make you better at naval battles. It's a good gameplay loop: the actual activity you are doing is fun, the rate you get resources at is fast enough to make you see progress but slow enough to continue to give you something to do, and the strength of the upgrades makes them worth caring about.

So why would you sink the materials into buildings (which is something you can do from quite early on)? You can get plenty of money from elsewhere (including naval battles which you are doing anyway). There's literally one instance where buying a mine opens up some tunnels so you can pick up a collectible and I wonder why they didn't do that kind of thing elsewhere.

The game as a whole has a bunch of vestigal systems too. Pub games are in because they were in earlier games, if you want to play checkers or nine man's morris for money. You can pickpocket civilians, with the reward being a tiny bit of money. It's not a bad game but a lot of it doesn't need to exist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Those were point and click adventures though.

I can't actually imagine how you'd do a Discworld RPG in any way more serious than the South Park games, seeing as Discworld magic doesn't work in any codified way, and killing stuff to level up for loot is chronically missing the point. Unless you're playing as the Silver Horde I guess.

What about as a Small God trying to get believers?

But yeah, it shouldn't be an especially serious game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

I know this isn't MGSV's fault
Oh it absolutely is.