Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Also, that conversation in the mage tower is terrible. I had to reload a save and do it again because I was tying to go for the middle option of "Well, let's not decide what to do until we actually see what the situation is." but that doesn't seem to be an option. You're either with Wynne or against her, and once you pass a certain point in the conversation, even though the argument continues, you seem to be locked into whichever choice it thinks you made.

Is it even possible to avoid Wynne attacking you if you have Morrigan with you in that conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

swamp waste posted:

In Dark Souls 2 you have to burn a windmill at one point. I kept falling off and dying while trying to light the wooden blades on fire. Turns out you're supposed to walk up to the metal cylinder in the center and... uh, set it on fire? There's a cutscene with the big metal cylinder bursting into flames, it's really weird.

I just feel like these games are penalizing me for having a rudimentary understanding of windmills man

I had to google to find out that was even a thing you could do. Some of the Dark Souls 2 boss gimmicks are mind bogglingly poorly communicated. It isn't even close to newgrounds flash adventure game "use knife on banana for fishbait" levels of bad but it's not that far off either. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So about Watch Dogs...

These games really need to drop any attempt at having a serious and relatable protagonist. I'm not playing as a gruff dad looking to get revenge for his daughters murder. I'm playing as some lunatic who's first priority when visiting a birthday party is to steal from their medicine cabinet and hack into their private calls for no reason. That's not even mentioning how I was gunning down random people by the dozens outside their front door just 2 minutes earlier. The game doesn't even try to penalize this sort of behavior and it's so jarring that the protagonist is oblivious to his own actions.

If he had been Rico from Just Cause 2 this would have been fine but he's not. He's a character we're supposed to take seriously. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No wonder the 911 dispatchers don't feel that anything is afoul when I gun down the people calling them. Their PTSD must be acting up from when I shot them earlier in the game. :v:

Watch Dogs is an odd game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Generic American posted:

Oh my God, it literally is Person of Interest: The Game. :allears:

I just got my hands on a grenade launcher in-game, the person of interest experience starts here. :c00lbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That kinda relates to one weirdest VATS kinks. Normally you get a percentage of hitting and if you fail the roll the shot simply passes close to them, there is an exception. The grenade launchers all fire in an arc. What this means is that if you're even a little distance away from the enemy it no longer matters if you complete the roll. Even if the odds are 1% and the grenade passes them they will still be hit by the explosion. The only limit for this little trick is from how far away you can still vats your target. The grenade rifle is effectively better at sniping then any of the sniper rifles in-game. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

In GTA4, no matter how far away a mission is or how long the mission lasts, if you die it puts you all the way back at the place you picked the mission up. :argh:

One of the endgame missions has you drive for 15 minutes to pick up some guy and drop him off at a wharf. In there you get ambushed and shot at from every conceivable angle while the enemies slowly surround you. At the same time the guy will move forward alone and get himself killed if you try to take it carefully. Him dying immediately fails the mission. Of course there's no checkpoint. I failed it 4 times and then I decided to never loving play that awful shitshow of a game ever again. :frogout:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bonto posted:

As a break from the utter monotony they tried to spice up the game with the occasional demon encounter. You're meant to stealth your way behind the demon, and do a few button presses to dispatch the demon. However, as you have no weapon, if you get caught by the demon you're meant to run away and hide in "soul-pockets" dotted across each level, which you can pass between seamlessly. However, I have not ONCE been able to do this successfully outside of the tutorial example. The demons are twice as fast as you are, so running to a "soul-pocket" without the demon following you and ultimately seeing is almost impossible. Also, logic would dictate that you should be able to travel between these "pockets" without being detected, so as to give you the opportunity to lose the demon and try killing it again. But in my experience the demons see you transitioning between pockets EVERY time, and once they see you they're able to kick you out of your secure little "pocket" and kill you. Add to this the fact that demons won't just walk away when they lose you, but will actively search each pocket until they find you. They may as well have told you in the tutorial "if a demon sees you, reload your save".

They don't actually check the pockets an unlimited amount of time. All you need to do is change hiding spot before they're already heading towards your particular spot and they'll eventually give up. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of boss fights, I really disliked the Iraq boss fight at the end of Act 3 of Watch Dogs. Mostly because guys kind of spawn in at random and if you die you're for some reason sent back to the start of the encounter where you're stuck listening to Iraq go on and on for a couple of minutes.

How about the fact that he's the only bullet sponge enemy in the game? It took me 4-8 or something grenade launcher rounds to kill him and he's not even wearing armor. It's so jarring in a game where literally every other enemy has a tight bullet to death ratio.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I put a single bullet in Iraq's face and he died.

That just makes it even dumber. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The reinforcements in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Units will just pop out after you end your turn and immediately attack. Sometimes it's telegraphed in text but mostly the game just does it. This would be fine except that I'm playing on hard and I've has to restart my game several times over weaker units getting killed before I even have a chance to respond. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I actually enjoyed the original Witcher as well. There were some parts that really dragged (the loving swamp for example) but mostly it was a good game set in an interesting world.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've been playing a lot of CS:GO for the last month and when the new operation came out I shelled out 5 euro to participate beacuse hell why not. As part of the deal you get missions which reward you with skins and boxes. Boxes which can be sold for 2-4 euro a pop on the market so I've already gotten my money back. It's pretty cool.

What bums me the gently caress out is that you get a limited amount of missions (max 2 at a time), they're random drops for winning and since they're undroppable (as far as I know) you're pretty much forced to finish them if you want more. This has forced me to get acquainted with the new community maps introduced as part of the operation. The problem is that with the exception of Castle and the oil platform one they're all awful messes which suck to play. For example the draw distance fog gimmick on one of the maps (which I loathe btw) is a performance disaster which makes the FPS of myself and everyone I know drop like a stone. If Valve is going to make us play lovely community maps trough matchmaking the least they could do is actually polish them up. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Also, why did you wait until the end-game to give us the wing suit? That thing is sweet as hell and I would have loved to play with it for longer.

I'm guessing they took this complaint to heart since Far Cry 4 takes place in the mountains.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Which is exactly why GTA:SA is going to be the high watermark of the series. That game has its faults but it's seldom boring as an open world.

GTA:SA had Free Bird going for it. I started loving laughing out loud the first time I heard it coming when someone was playing Guitar hero. I never knew the name of the song before but boy did I recognize it immediately. The song is great but man is it long. There were a lot of hours cruising trough GTA:SA where I had been listening to that song.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Joke's on everyone who didn't just buy Payday.

Except that the 2 real heists GTA5 actually had were both more interesting than anything Payday has to offer? :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Icewind Dale so far is pretty bad rear end. Except starting out is even more brutal here than in BG1. First battle-

"Goblin attacks mage"

"Mage dies"

awesome, reload!

Its just so grindy and you really gotta rest after EVERY fight. It gets a little rough.

I remember the start of Icewind Dale being insanely hard. Only other game which I can remember having a worse start is Fallout 2. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 1 is a Zelda game, and it's brilliant.

Yeah definately, Darksiders 1 was the best Zelda game that's been released in years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In my opinion Skyrim would have been 500 times better if it had gotten rid of like 90% of the dungeons. They created this big and beautiful world with dozens of cities but didn't really fill them with that much content. Instead the game expects me to wander trough dozens of copy&paste caves and catacombs. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xenonauts has way to much combat. I don't know if it's the pacing or what but the game can feel really tiring to play. Skirmishes can drag on for quite a while (maps are huge in comparison to XCOM) and then they get piled upon each other as most UFOs come in waves. I would just airstrike them off but midgame you really need the extra money a successful skirmish brings. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Even first Jak & Daxter didn't have that much bullshit at the end.

The first Jak & Daxter had bullshit at the end? Did I forget something obvious? :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Jak 2 and Jak 3. Jak 2 especially is one of my favorite platformers. But they are seriously acquired tastes, and they are games with a lot of issues, so I get why people wouldn't enjoy them.

Jak 2 is seriously one of my all-time favourite games. The goofy grim-dark story, the gta-lite elements, the nice variation of the platforming segments and the unbelievably ramping difficulty all just work so well together.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I really liked what I played of Expeditions: Conquistador. Haven't gotten terribly far in it but the ten or so hours I've played were a very quality game. I had no idea it even was a Kickstarter project until a while after I had bought it on Steam, though, so I guess it's probably not too high-profile.

Expeditions: Conquistador was a kickstarted game? :stare:

I missed that too somehow. Great game. As for successful projects I'd point to Knock-Knock. It's the only reason the remake of Pathologic currently being kickstarted is even a thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

It can also make Wei look absolutely batshit insane if you decide to murder the girl at the end of the quest and dump the body in the ocean. :v:

You're telling me that there are people that didn't take every opportunity to shove people in the back of the car and send them flying off into the sea? :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I love Resident Evil 4 and never tried 5 so I decided to Gamefly it and check it out. Holy poo poo I can't stand this game. Why on Gods green earth did they think cramming an AI companion in for the entire game was a good idea? Wow, I'm sure glad I get to juggle two inventories and deal with Sheva deciding to use herbs on me when I have barely a scratch. Oh, you're out of ammo? Maybe try to not fire your gun wildly at every enemy. Oh awesome, I'm out of ammo and I'm surrounded by enemies, well at least I can run oh wait now she's knocked down, better run to help oh poo poo she's dead.

Literally all my problems would be solved by removing the companion. I'm sure it's cool as hell in co-op, but it's a nightmare on single player. I NEVER had ammo issues in 4, but in this one I'm desperatly scrounging for ammo while Sheva wastes it as soon as she gets it, but I have to giver her some or she's dead.

I'm gonna just play 4 again.

Resident Evil 5 was such a disappointment. It's like someone played that one village holdout event at the beginning of RE4 and decided, "lets make an entire game that's just this".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

oops.

E: I like FF10 a lot by the way

Which is the best FF game so don't let people tell you otherwise. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kruller posted:

FF6 had the entire game, though. drat what a fun game.

Objection, the world of ruin had way too little direction.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I picked whichever one it is that makes her say "Warden sense tingling!" which I didn't mind. What annoyed me though is why even give the option of choosing a voice if none of the dialogue is voiced? And why have everyone else's dialogue voiced but not the protagonist? Why? It's really jarring. Would it really have added so much to the production cost to have one male and one female voice actor do the player character's dialogue?

Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Can't have a voiced protagonist and a good multiple choice dialogue system without spending way to much money, except if you're Alpha Protocol for some reason.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

m.hache posted:

Also, ZOD runes.

Oh god no why did you have to remind me. :can:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:

It's arguably the best game Bethesda has ever made despite all its glaring faults, you're missing out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

They're not. Side missions are optional.

Homework was optional too most of the time, didn't make it any less of a pain in the rear end. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My problem with Dark Souls 2 is that they seem to have mis-typed the title. What I expected was a sequel to Dark Souls and what I got was a sequel to Demon's Soul.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

DSII has a good number of lame bosses but complaining about old Dragonslayer is a bit odd. It's clearly supposed to throwback to one of the most iconic bosses from Dark Souls, not "Hey guys here's a totally brand new boss *sweats*"

It's not so much a throwback as it is a blatant copy-paste with the colour-palette swapped.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I always thought Super Ornstein was the hardest part of O&S :shrug:

If you use Solaire for the first part of the fight he's a loving nightmare.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

I've read a bit of Dark Souls 2 pre-release thread, and people spoilering mechanics so intricate as "you can drop (discard) items" and applauding the rumoured mechanic of "if you hit a chest and it's not a mimic, the item inside is destroyed and turned to junk" helped me realize that those people are a bit insane.

Oh that's nothing, as crazy as hardcore Dark Souls fans can be they've got nothing on Prometheus fans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

At least Warlocks in WoW were fun for a while back in TBC. I miss Felguard PVP rage.

The pre-TBC patch was the loving best, lvl 60 Felguards would run around in BGs soloing players all on their own. :haw:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I don't understand how people say this. The art is the exact same. The only thing that's really changed is the paintbrush, not the design itself.

Edit: Radically different art!

In all honesty the art style works much better with vectors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm only a couple of hours into Evil Within but god drat am I growing tired of the janky camera. While you're doing stealth or aiming your gun it's fine but it just completely falls apart when you're moving around. Most of the time I have trouble seeing anything as the camera keeps realigning itself incoherently and the giant artificial letterboxing doesn't help. This would be fine if ammo wasn't so incredibly scarce but it is, I've spent most of the first couple of chapters running around like a headless chicken just hoping that I won't run into yet another explosive tripwire.

John Murdoch posted:

I'll do you one better: I don't get up to any kind of open world shenanigans at all if I can help it. I got my fill of torturing helpless NPCs when I was 12 playing GTA3 for the first time ever. Even the Saints Row games do nothing for me in that regard, or the oft-touted hilarity of stuffing people into trunks in Sleeping Dogs. It's also no big surprise then that I found Just Cause 2 to be wildly overrated.

Seems to me like you're just not able to appreciate the finer things in life. :colbert:

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Nov 17, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

The scissor-saw from MGR would have been magical. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LumpyGumby posted:

But yes, Stockholm has probably set in a while ago.

Stockholm syndrom set in shortly after Raiden threw off his scubamask in the beginning of MGS2.