Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Guacamelee & Valdis Story : Abyssal City and probably a lot of other beat-em-up/platformers.

They combine platforming that is just a bit too tight for the engine to handle with a lot of enemies with ranged attack during the platforming. And in a lot of the cases you can't even kill the enemies before. In VS whenever you leave the screen enemies respawn and in a lot of the cases the enemies are placed so that after killing them you have to leave the screen to get in position for the platforming. it also had some enemies with an infinite range AoE spell so they could be inaccessible but still attack you. Guacamelee had the annoying flying dragons with a burst ranged attack.

Guacamelee had a system where if you fell into a bottomless pit you respawned on the last platform, unfortunately they also had a lot of platforms at the bottom to catch you, so instead of respawning you just had to do it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Watch Dogs
You get money by hacking peoples bank accounts and then taking cash out of an ATM or stealing it out of glove compartments, so why is it that whenever you buy something you pay with your cell phone?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Just Cause

Something that was addressed in the sequel, the save system. In the original title saves happened after certain events, so going off and spending time doing some side missions would be worthless if you hadn't of advanced the main storyline. Spend an hour doing your own thing? Well when you return you can do it all over again as you didn't follow the main missions!

At least on the PC you could save at every base camp, by using the satellite uplink, like the unskippable tutorial shows you after the first mission.

Just Cause 2
The Grappling hook
Yes it's good that you can now attach to everything instead of just vehicle and it has it's own button, but I really don't like the change to the zipping rubber band instead of a line you could extend & retract as you wanted up to a practically infinite lenght, and as such you can no longer parasail 3Km up in the air after a small car.
Also I dislike having the sky diving direction be controlled by the camera.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's not what it says at all:

"Your actions affect the city. A high number of deaths results in more rats and weepers, different reactions, and darker final outcomes." is about the most neutral and accurate way they could have possibly explained it.

How do you interpret "Darker final outcomes" as anything other than the "bad end"? even if just in comparison to the "normal" ending.
I don't know how people get the high chaos ending without trying anyway? killing every other person you meet seems like a lot of work.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Xander77 posted:

2. The automapper only maps a tiny portion of the screen.

3. For some random reason you can barely scroll the screen from where you are,

It's been a while since I played the game but aren't these two based on your perception score, I'm pretty sure at least the scrolling is.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Thoughtless posted:

Well I complained about the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol earlier, now I'm playing the game on hard.

I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to be possible at all without just using the EMP grenades to instantly hack them. I don't have Matrix reflexes here goddammit.

If you've got all the skills you want, you can edit the XP table to give you negative skill points. The game scales enemies and minigames based on how many skill points you've gotten, though I can't remember if the skills you start with count for this making recruit actually the easiest class. Also I like how the lockpicking is the opposite of the hacking, completely trivial with mouse & keyboard horrible on controller. AP really needed an overhaul on the gameplay part.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of the tanker opening mission versus the rest of the game; the main game insists on spamming you with codec calls and tutorials on how to do all the stuff you spent the past two hours doing on the tanker.

That's because the Tanker chapter can actually be skipped if you pick certain choices at the start, IIRC Easy and "New to the series" both start at the Plant, though I think they removed that in the HD version. But yes they should have cut down the tutorial if you played the tanker chapter, but then they could also have removed them on replays.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

Games where NPCs surrender or beg for mercy or whatever... and they don't actually follow through with accepting you sparing them. In Skryim a bandit grovels and begs for mercy so I put my weapon away? He'll just stand back up and attack me. Far Cry 2, injured guy who crawls away? Certainly wont stop him from still trying to take shots at me.

My problem isn't that they do this, I'd be ok with enemies who try to trick me. My problem is that its ALWAYS the case. I guess its to much effort to expand on your surrender mechanics to make the guy run off and despawn.

My guess is that it's probably a ratings thing, killing people that are begging for their life is worse than people shooting at you, especially if you aren't punished for it. I think that was the case with the punisher game at least, they had to remove the speech from the torture kills or it would have gotten an Adults Only rating.

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kazil posted:

The newest Tomb Raider and Anniversary are really the only Tomb Raiders I would recommend to anyone.

(And Anniversary only until that final, bullshit level)

The reboot was kinda bad when it came to the puzzles as well, mostly because there aren't that many of them and the game puts it's focus on combat instead, which IMO they failed to make interesting enough. I kinda wish someone would make a tomb raider-ish game focused on just the puzzles and platforming, with none of the boring combat in it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vic posted:

David Cage and rape
Didn't Omikron have the main character(which is you, the player) commit rape by deception a few minutes into the game? It's an established part of David cage games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vic posted:

Technically you're asked by the npc to take over his body and become the pc giving you the control of his body. Which is p. creepy in this context but at the loving least it's consensual!

EDIT: And there are no QTEs for foreplay

And then you go gently caress his girlfriend while she thinks you are him. Which is rape.

Hel has a new favorite as of 08:46 on May 12, 2015

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alteisen posted:

You're free to not use them, but Quiet and D-dog in MGSV is are REALLY loving powerful, they absolutely trivialize the game, D-dog basically grants you wallhacks and distract everyone letting you stun or murder them at your leisure, and quiet just annihilates bases like it was nothing, even if you get spotted she can pop the person that spotted you before anything happens.

Poor D-horse just can't compare. :smith:

D-Horse is the best, no other Buddy can help you carry bodies. Put one on the horse, pick one up yourself , whistle and run away. Really useful when there are people around that can hear your balloons. Quite is awful since you have to grind her rep up, before you can make her stop killing your recruits.

What's dragging MGS 5 down for me is that it does the same thing 4 did when it retconed everything to be explained be nanomachines.
The Ends photosynthesis, The Fears stealth and jumping, The Pains bees all because of parasites. Every weird power in the MGS universe is now explained either by nanomachines or parasites. Everything except for ESP, telekinesis & mediums, those are totally legit and not the cause of some tiny things injected into you body. So only Ocelot, Psycho Mantis & The Sorrow have innate abilities. They could have just left that out and it would have been better, you don't have to explain everything and not everything has to be connected.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm pretty sure 4 retconned Ocelot's supposed supernatural abilities, too. :v:

I thought it was real until it became inconvenient, so he removed the arm and started faking, or do you mean it was all because of Liquids nanomachines or some bullshit?. All this is making me wonder if Silent Hills would even have been good, since over explaining usually kills horror.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Croccers posted:

Quiet's ADD is really loving annoying. She's meant to target the guy you're looking at but when you're in a boss fight it's hard to keep focus on just one of them, so she constantly switches targets and just never fires.

Aren't the only boss fights with multiple non-mech opponents the ones that breaks your save game if you bring Quiet?

MGS 5 really lacks interesting bosses, both in character and battles, the one interesting fight is a remake of The End from MGS3 with pretty much the same gimmicks, the rest are pretty much just grinding down their hp and avoiding their instakill attacks. And most of the bosses lack character since they don't speak or have individual names, they are just The SKULLs which isn't even their real name, it's just what Miller calls them.

Also I really miss infiltrating a base with most equipment being procure on site, I think the series lost something by stepping away from that after MGS3. Having functionally infinite resources instead of scavenging for them ruins the feel a bit.

Hel has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alteisen posted:

Regarding your last statement.

You can unlock certain versions of missions with a rule set called subsistence which is exactly what you want, procure gear on site.

Yeah, I know but they are too short or not at the interesting missions I really would have liked that to be modifiers for all missions instead of the system they use now, but that would probably require some level redesign.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FourLeaf posted:

I bought Tomb Raider 2013 for like $15 during a Steam sale, and WHY THE gently caress is there no option to have an onscreen minimap? it's loving annoying having to constantly stop running to open up the map to make sure i'm going to the right place. I know that's small, but it's pretty loving important considering how much random poo poo you have to find in this game for 100% completion.

Also: the voice acting for Lara is embarrassingly bad.

You're not supposed to use the map for that, you're supposed to mash the detective mode(instinct?) button instead since it puts a big beam of light and a compass icon where you have to go.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FourLeaf posted:

That's still annoying because detective mode turns off if you don't stand still, so if you're far away you still have to repeatedly run and stop over and over again.

Which is why I said to mash it, but Yeah it really sucks, though it might save you a bit of annoyance compared to checking the map all the time. Detective vision really ruined a lot of games, because why make the environment readable when you can press a button to highlight all the necessary stuff. You basically have two vision modes: Useful & Pretty. put you can't make it too useful since then the player doesn't look at the pretty stuff, so let's gimp it by having you move slowly or some other bullshit.

Hel has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jan 24, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

They usually have only a top level log, not a bottom line log. So they have this:

But nothing like this:

I wish these games (or there were programs/apps) had the latter, because I'm generally forced to keep all of it in my head and I'll either eyeball it wrong or forget what all this damned wheat was for in 6 hours.

Let me introduce you to the magic of excel spreadsheets, they let you easily writ down the information you learn form the game so you don't have to cheat by looking it up on wikis, and it let's you make your own resource calculators with barely any effort.

Word of warning though if you let it go too far you'll start playing by looking more at the sheet than the game. I had to stop playing Stardew Valley because of that. Sorry granddad your farm turned into an industrial opium operation.

Hel has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

As someone who has made a genuine effort to try this multiple times, you're drastically underestimating the level of Excel Fu required for a resource calculator.

Your analogy about Stardew Valley is exactly what drags games other games down. Stardew Valley is popular enough that there's people out there who have those skills to make spreadsheets and calculators for the bulk of us that can't. Other games? You're SOL.

A basic resource calculator in excel only needs the basic four math operations plus some parentheses, that's not exactly high level excel knowledge, the only excel stuff that really helps is clicking cells to add them to your current formula and dragging to copy the next row with everything adjusted. If you make one as you play the game it's a few seconds for every new unlocked item.
I could make one with basic high school math and a 5 min intro to excel from my mom, sure it's not going to be pretty but it's a lot better than waiting for nerds on the internet to make one for me.
It's exactly the thing excel is made for not a loving flightsim.

Edit: Or did you try making a super fancy one with drop-down menus, conditions and stuff?

Hel has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 15, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

gohuskies posted:

Spec Ops The Line is the only game I've seen where the "but you can turn off the game" thing works, because it's really baked into the plot and the whole idea is that it's a choice but you just don't think of it as one. The main character accomplishes his stated mission of contacting the US troops in Dubai within like the first 15 minutes of the game, and he could just walk out of Dubai any time at any point after that and call for back-up - but he doesn't, because that's not what he's there for. He's there to ~be a hero~ and it leads him to do terrible things. So I let them get away with it.

I would have let them get away with it if you could actually leave at the point when you actually meet someone and accomplished your objectives, don't have it pop up or something but have it as a secret ending. It's not like it would have cost them that much to put in a short cutscene and roll the credits before kicking you back to the menu or the last checkpoint.
There was even a story going 'round at the time of it's release that in one of the earlier version you could actually leave, but they removed the option after most of their players took that option and left.I doubt it's a true story though, it sounds too good and there hasn't been any proof.

I wonder if someone have done the "Quitting is a valid option" thing for other media? Has someone said it's your fault Romeo & Juliet dies because you could have just walked out of the theater or you could have prevented a lot of deaths, but you had to keep watching that lovely horror movie.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inco posted:

The mission I gave up on tasked me with taking a heavy infantry unit alive, but I don't know how they expect me to do that when these guys are invulnerable to everything short of high explosives. I can't knock them out from the front, I can't sneak behind them without them noticing, I can't use knockout gas because they have gas masks, I can't use the stun gun because it doesn't work on them.

I really want to like this game, because it is so much better than Conviction (which I felt took too many pages from games like Call of Duty and the stealth felt like it took a backseat because of it), but it's just so frustrating to play.

IIRC headshots will remove the helmet/gasmask, so if you can just shoot them in the head with the Gas bolts it should work, if that doesn't work M&E should.
There is also a thing that they never tell you, if you do the mark & execute while standing really close to a target you do a melee takedown instead of shooting them which, does work on heavies.

But yeah, brutes/Heavies suck in pretty much every game that has them, they never really require anything special, they just limit you to the most boring option: dumping tons of bullets&bombs into them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Aren't a lot of the missions in AP optional? It's been a while but IIRC the game gave you like 4 missions and after doing any 3 you unlocked the next big mission that was mandatory.
One of my favorite things in AP is that generally you do one hub completely before moving on to the next, but if you did a few in each hub you got a different experience because you could really utilize the friend/enemies/intel you got on the way.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

ever heard of The Precursors?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsNCrKGO48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhDiDfjSLc
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/

so i don't know if this is available anywhere besides Gamer's Gate. i've only read reviews and watched a couple of videos about it so i can't say for sure what the experience is like. but it looks like if Mass Effect were done by an Eastern European studio. it looks ugly as sin, but i've been playing through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again and it's got me looking for unpolished games.

While the game is pretty neat, I wouldn't be so quick to praise The Precursors, it's quite literally "Boiling Point in Space", though without the famous patch notes. They also cut the voices from the English version so you have to download and install the Russian ones on your own.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

i haven't played it, but i like the idea of a meandering shooter like stalker but with the scifi aesthetic of mass effect.

Yeah, no other game really hits the same points. Back when it was available on GamersGate it might have been worth looking into but now it's too much trouble for what you get out of it: When I first saw Signal from Tölva I was really hoping it was going to be The Precursors but with robots but that remains to see.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

moosecow333 posted:

I've never understood why this game never got a sequel or a spiritual successor. Picking soldiers up like rag dolls and throwing them into each other is still one of my favorite things in gaming. I would love to be able to do all of that in a modern game.

Wasn't it because someone sued them for plagiarism or something so they where tied up in costly court stuff until there was too late to capitalize on a sequel/ they went under or something.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations has one of the most inexcusable bugs, in that it was never fixed, and that it occurs to a system that worked fine in the previous title. Every 20 minutes your bank will get tax money from all the properties you own. However you may get into a state where doing anything like doing a mission, aborting a mission, or sending someone a mission will trip an invisible switch reset the 20 minute timer. Instead of fixing the thing Ubisoft just posted a message detailing the bug like it's a feature and then tell you to eat poo poo.

You aren't missing much, those kind of pay money to get a small income stream later is almost never worth it. I did the math for one of the upgrades in Syndicate and it would need ~10 hours to break even on the money, with no way to recoup the other resources. They are only really useful if they unlock something, as an income stream you need to get them at the start of the game or they are mostly useless.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mazerunner posted:

You can often freely save right from your menu, the save points are fairly common, and it checkpoints at boss fights and after completing missions and whatnot. So if you die you don't actually lose completed progress unless you quit the game.

This is the loving worst, you've already shown that your game has the ability to save at these points and you recognize that they might want to restart from there. Why remove those saves when you quit the game and force them to restart from and earlier point instead of letting the player resume from there?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuebot posted:

Why not save before you shut the game down?

Because the thing I'm complaining about is when it has checkpoint you can restart at if you die but you can't save and come back to them later, see also Hitman : Blood Money where in mission saves don't persist between sessions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally beat the boat level in Mirror's Edge. I think I only have 2(?) levels to go, and hopefully there won't be nearly as much fighting to come. The boat is possibly the worst level in the game. The doors with the wheels take far too long to open and it all but forces you to actually fight the cops, who can kill you really quickly, so that you can platform in peace. And the fights with the assassin sucked. Is Mirror's Edge 2 actually better, or does it have enough issues to make it about the same?

Don't worry the boat level is the only level with mandatory fighting outside the Ropeburn QTE.
Honestly the boat level is the thing dragging Mirror's Edge down for me since it so poorly laid out and has unique elements that don't really work with the game(the van, the bulkhead doors, boss fights)

ME:Catalyst would be an ok game if it was just the story missions, but the open world really sucks, it''s made up of islands with very few "bridges" so you are going to be running over the same route a lot of the time. Also it really upped the mandatory combat and it breaks the flow a lot.
Say what you will about upgrade systems but having to buy basic traversal stuff really sucks.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fil5000 posted:

Also I guess the Batman Arkham games are the ur-example of this. most of the time you might as well be in detective vision mode as it's way more useful, but it does make the game look worse.

Assassin's Creed did it first and had some limitations that made it impossible to use it constantly. You could only use the original Eagle Vision when standing still and at full health(it might have been first person as well, so no peeking around corners), so it was only really useful when planning your approach and not as the de facto default vision mode.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

. The downside is that there's a lot of dead spaces and it's not that fun traversing the city because going over the speed limit runs the risk of getting a speeding ticket.

While I doubt it was intentional, it really worked well for me, roughly by the time you realise that despite the suits & rules the Mafia are still garbage people you've figured out the rules of the traffic system and work around it only really slowing down when you absolutely have to. Works roughly the same as the police XP in Sleeping Dogs.

Actually not having the complex police system dragged down Mafia 3 for me, when you build a game around a black guy being persecuted by the law, having the most lenient model of the standard open world police system really doesn't do you any favours.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

I just realized why my mostly-just-Windows install is so short on drive space: Fallout 4 stores its saves on that drive, even though my game is installed on an entirely other drive.

You know what happens when you save a lot in Fallout 4? double-digit gigs of saves*. I wouldn't really care, but I was experiencing a consistent crash in Grand Theft Auto V that might be caused by that game having been incompletely patched when I installed it, because it didn't have enough room to fully download to that drive (which is, again, not the drive I'm installing the game to)**.

* Odds are someone will say I don't have to save so much, and there's a 1:1 likelihood that this person has complained about having to go back to an old save because they didn't save enough, so their opinion is pointless
** At least I'm hoping that's the case

You know that saving to Documents or %APPDATA% and not the game folder has been standard on windows for over a decade right? It's only recently that indie games without installers have been bringing back same folders saves. But really if you want to solve that you can have windows relocate the Documents folder to another drive if you want. Having all saves in one place makes it a lot easier to find them instead of having to dig around on a game to game basis.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Triarii posted:

I'm finally trying out Vanquish and I feel like I'm missing something, like my guy is WAY too fragile to use any of the cool mobility options I have. If I try the neat sliding move, I'll get knocked out of the slide by enemy fire like a second into it, and then immediately knocked into the "poo poo you're about to die" slow-mo, and I have to scramble back into cover. If I play the game like a strict cover shooter then everything goes smoothly but that's boring :mad:

Are you playing on PC? I don't know if they fixed it but there was a bug where if you played at higher than 30FPS(like pretty much everyone on PC did) you would take more damage since the invulnerability frames were tied to frames and not time. There is a fan patch floating around that fixes it if Platinum/SEGA didn't patch it out by now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The usual counter argument to this is how saints row just makes the boss a psychopath in cutscenes too. And that works but man itd be tedious if they all did that.

One other way of doing it is the implement systems that discourage or make it harder to play as a murderous psycho, stuff like Mafia 1&2s robust & unrelenting police system or Sleeping Dogs making guns rare(& constantly taking them away).

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm really disappointed no game let's me relive the wonder of the Diablo 2 Lagmancer, running around with tons of minions killing stuff before it pops up on screen. Modern games always limit that stuff to like 3 zombies that live for 20 seconds or something and that's if they even let you have more than one.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

spit on my clit posted:

Diablo 3 brings the witch doctor, who can eventually have up to 6 zombie dogs*, a giant, up to 15 fetishes**, and 5-8 seperate fetishes at once***

*6 zombie dogs is only possible if you take three passive skills, which all give +1 zombie dog in addition to 15-30% increased movement speed, 30% life, and 50% additional damage from zombie dogs and the giant
**the 15 fetishes come from a passive skill where your attacks have a 15% chance to summon a fetish that lives for 60 seconds, but the WD has so many attacks that deal tons of chip damage that you'll usually have 8-15 at a time in a group of enemies
***different runes for the "fetish army" skill will increase how many fetishes are active during the skill, or what kind of fetishes are summoned, they last for 20 seconds, and have a 120 second cooldown. 90 second cooldown with the "devoted following" rune

So yeah, it's very situational but at the very least you can always have an army of seven minions

That's still not even close to the permanent 20 Skeletons+ 20 skeleton mages + 1 golem+ 20 timed revives you could have in D2

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Barudak posted:

Ugh, now I guess I have to play Hellblade because the rest of their lineup is just not good.

I liked the cutscene flashes in Enslaved of what appeared to be the developers family and travel photos. They are not styleized or made into computer graphics, they're literal photos so they jar immediately and intensely with everything else in the game, including the rest of the cutscenes they're interspersed in.

Don't worry Hellblade is still pretty bad. Half the speech isn't subtitled(including some hints/tutorials, the rest is frequently wrong and/or mistimed. The game tries to extend the horror theme to the combat but fail since you are functionally invincible because you can cancel anything into a dodge which can be chained into attacks. In fact they repeat an issue they had in Heavenly Sword where you could do infinite Dodge->Attack->Dodge->Attack... chains to move really fast away from enemies. The non-combat gameplay is full of Dark/Light world stuff which you have to slowly walk the longest way possible to solve, bad perspective puzzles and a ton of simple puzzles that you figure out immediately but take ages to actually solve.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Speaking of MGS2: The thing dragging down every later MGS game is that they abandoned the "survival horror"/"Die Hard on a X" style of play for the more linear progression style. In MGS 1 & 2 you are basically running around the same area, slowly expanding it as you kill off bosses and pick up keys/emblems, and then looping back again to pick up new weapons or tools. MGS3+ has you just keep moving on never really coming back to the same area w/ a few exceptions. And then V goes for the full open world but leaves 90% of it totally empty.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

im pooping! posted:

as i recall MGS4 was completely on a rail

Funnily enough I think the most open level is the Eastern European one where you can't really explore because it's follow/escort mission. Honestly the map layout is probably MGS4s biggest problem since it stops you from interacting with all the neat things that are actually in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MGS V is basically a rehash of the plot from 4 put with Metallic Archaea written over crossed out Nanomachines, since it's still all about language/emotion/mind control and zombies. It even has you rescue the person behind the nanomachines froma mansion before the zombies show up. But most of the mechanical things feels like it's an overreaction in the opposite direction: Maps too linear -> maps too empty & open, easy & accessible Camo system -> mostly useless and requires calling in a drop, same for weapons, No interesting Codec convos -> tons of bullshit tapes you can't listen to while playing because it's still a stealth game and you need to pay attention etc.