Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Hector Delgado posted:

In Greedfall you can have 2 companions in your party. It seems to be a decent sized game, I'm going on 45 hours so far. Lots of combat and it seems each npc has maybe 3 battle phrases. In a bossfight, you'll hear the same line repeated like 10 times in 3 minutes. It's driving me crazy.

There came a point in that game where I was pretty finished with it and just wanted to clear out my quests. I know I guess one can make the argument that any open world game quests kind of just falls into like three categories... I think the trick is to dress it up so it doesn't feel like it's the same three quests (Witcher 3 did this probably the best, I think). Greedfall has an overwhelming amount of sidequests where you just go to a location and talk to a person. The last 15 sidequests I did, I finished in about ten minutes, skipping whatever dialogue there was. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel back, talk to the first person again. Quest complete. Repeat 14 times.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FF7 Remake:

Way too much Sephiroth. Feels like the makers of the game couldn't reconcile the entire first chapter of the remake taking place in Midgar with how iconic Sephiroth is for FF7 and crammed him in everywhere they could to compensate. In the original game Midgar only lasts a few hours before you make your way out into the world map and everything opens up. They still had most of disk 1 and disks 2 and 3 to build up Sephiroth as the antagonist so you don't see him too much early on and it's more impactful as more about him is revealed. In the remake he's showing up all the time, either in person or by giving Cloud mako hallucinations so Cloud is acting weird while everyone else doesn't know what's going on. They even made Sephiroth the final boss which seems like it's going to make it less interesting if they close out future chapters by making you fight him again. There's even a form of Bahamut as a boss right before the Sephiroth fight because it's a Final Fantasy and you have to shove a Bahamut in there somewhere.

I just don't understand how they're going to pace things going forward. Midgar in the original was about seven hours of gameplay, the total runtime is probably something like 70-90 hours depending on how many side quests you do. For it to match up to the original they're either going to have to seriously rush through most of the story or stretch the remake out to 10 games with this same level of production quality.

I think FF7: Remake is a masterstroke in terms of using the medium to spotlight and deconstruct what might be the most beloved RPG of all time. But I think the thing that trips up most people, and myself, is that it's not a remake, but like a meta-sequel. I know a lot of people hate that it's called "Remake" but I was at the very right age to play FF7 when it came out and this remake feels targeted specifically toward me and my experiences with the original, and remake is appropriate because of its theme and sort of snarky pulling-the-rug-from-under-itself gimmick. Going forward the game has broken from the main storyline enough that it doesn't really matter what they do; there will definitely be themes from FF7 replaying in fun ways, but it's not the same story anymore.

My only real complaint about FF7: Remake is the Zack bit at the end. Yeah, yeah, everyone boohoos about Aerith but I guess I didn't care that she died. When Zack died in Crisis Core I loving wept. I hate that they're bringing him back to life. I know it's not really breaking the canon since the remake is its own weird thing, but I can't help but feel offended by it.

Then again, it's not like Final Fantasy doesn't have a loving long history of lol-jking their protagonists being dead. The end of Final Fantasy 9, for instance, where Zidane dies attempting to rescue the villain was loving amazing. Until the weird reveal at the end where haha Zidane isn't dead (no explanation), he's just been pretending to be dead all this time so he could surprise his girlfriend??? gently caress you, FF9.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My friend and I wanted to a A Way Out but it it was only cheap on Origin for a while and Origin is just an incredibly bizarrely bad storefront that seems to so consistently just not work both mine and my buddy's computer. It just won't work, sometimes for no reason, sometimes because of an update that the next one fixes. Who knows. We gave up trying to loving fight Origin a long time ago. So A Way Out is cheap on Steam and we buy it.

The loving game still requires you to sign up and play through Origin. I LAUNCH the game from Steam, and it opens Origin, and even INSIDE ORIGIN'S STOREFRONT it has a big fat Steam icon so what the gently caress is the loving point, ORIGIN?

For what it's worth, Origin is working for both of us, but I have no faith it will continue working all the way until we finish this 12 hour game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Leal posted:

VIImake

Are you pronouncing this aloud? Is this to sound like "veemake"?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh I had a hunch all the EU stuff was going to be in there, I was on the fence about the whole idea the entire time.
There is no way, absolutely no way in hell, if they even make any more of these, that reviving Aeris isn't a prominent sidequest.

I think the entire point of FF7: Remake and the probably two games to come will focus entirely on keeping Aerith alive, or bringing her back, or existing in a world where characters are supposed to be dead but they're not and eventually the two realities will -- you know what, here's how the entire thing will end:

There will be two realities, one where characters are dead, one where they're not. Cloud loves Aerith and Zack, but in order to save them he has to sacrifice himself to sever the two realities and stop them from canceling each other out. Cloud will die in a heroic way but then will come back conveniently by some deus ex machina at the very end because it's a fuckin Final Fantasy game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I know Borderlands 3 isn't exactly a celebrated game, but I have spent so much loving time trying to figure out how to change the way vehicles control.

See, the first time you get in a vehicle, it says, "the vehicle controls still suck after all these years but you can change them in the options!"

Well, I looked but couldn't really find it, and just figured, I'll deal with the awful vehicle controls. But man, it's like, every time I get in a vehicle I'm reminded how much it sucks, I go through the options looking for it, decide it's not worth the frustration and I'll just endure it. This dumb loop of frustration happens often. Plus I was playing with a buddy and he hated it too but it didn't seem worth it to pause the game while we scrutinized the options.

I finally just looked it up. What I learned is that there IS NOT OPTIONS for changing the way the vehicle drives -- that is, unless you're using a controller. The controller section has a place where you can change the way vehicles control. It is found only under the "controller" options. Not controls, not gameplay, not advanced, but "controller." AND not only that, it's not like it gives you options of, say, classic mode / tank controls / whatever. Instead you have to choose between one of three controller-based thumbstick settings. Well I'm not using a loving thumbstick.

It turns out in order to get vehicles to control like vehicles do in any other loving game, the setting I need for my loving first-person shooter I'm playing with a loving mouse and keyboard is Vehicle Relative: Left Side thumbstick setting.

Now that the lovely vehicles in this lovely game loving drive right, I can get back to being disappointed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Evilreaver posted:

I'm a big fan of FF4 with Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (via the Stone spell, explicitly) in order to save the party from a deathtrap. When you 'talk' to their statues, a dialog comes up that allows you to use items on them, such as Soft etc. Nothing will work, of course

Sure, but of course they just fuckin come back at the end with like no explanation which really just undermines their sacrifice. Meanwhile Tellah doesn't, for some reason. Neither does his daughter. Maybe it's genetic.

You know, when it comes to sacrifices in storytelling, I don't care if the sacrifice happens on page 30; if the sacrifice is undone by book 7, page 980, it still fuckin undermines and cancels out the sacrifice. I hatehatehate experiencing stories now where there is a "sacrifice" and I spend the rest of the game wondering if that character is going to come back or not. That's not the feeling I should have; I should be mourning a loss, not trying to gauge how likely the developers of this game are going to rely on a lovely simple happy fuckin ending instead of allowing the audience to experience a reaction that isn't bubblegum fuckin sugar poo poo.

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Feb 3, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

Exactly that kind of undermining its own story elements at every turn is basically why I feel FF7 Remake doesn't work

I guess I disagree because I feel that that is the entire theme of the game. The whole thing is an undermining.

FF7:Remake is going to be like a decade long essay in video game form, which I'm down for, I suppose, but I am not sure what point it's actually trying to make and I'm annoyed it's going to take eleven more years to get there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just started Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. I played like an hour of it on an XBox 360 about a decade ago. Heard it was a pretty good off-AAA title or whatever. I think I'm going to enjoy it, but man, this is going to suck:

I can travel faster by rolling than just by running. So it's going to be fuckin somersaulting all throughout these kingdoms. I know I don't have to do it, but it's compulsory; if I'm choosing instead to just run, my brain screams DODGING IS WAY MORE EFFICIENT YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG so it's going to be a lot of "Hunhh!!" and "Hooff!" for the next forty hours.

It's how I got around in Nier, also. And I used the spear which had like its own lunge attack, so I could fuckin zip around that world by rolling and thrusting and rolling and thrusting.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Leal posted:

Sieges in Total Warhammer 2 are wack

Rather reminds me of the incredibly one-sided bridge battles in Shogun: Total War. Was it possible to lose a battle if there was a bridge?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kaubocks posted:

the thing that dragged down god of war to me is picking up runes that do like 1% more frost damage on a full moon or whatever and you have to upgrade gear and, christ, why is AAA gaming space entrenching itself so deeply on this stuff

the same thing happened to me with control. +3% reload speed on one gun. a dozen skill trees. my brain just completely slides off. i just want a game, not this incremental nonsense.

[goes back to monster hunter]

I'm down for incremental stat increases as long as its persistent. If I level up and I get 1% more damage, cool, I'm alright with that. But I loving hate trying to work out if a 4% frost damage bonus is actually more beneficial than a 2% increased damage or whatever like gently caress that. Shadow Warrior 2 was a fun game but at a certain point I stopped paying any attention at all to the upgrades, since they're all modular and have suuuuuch small and specific differences from one another.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Any game that does that should have like a little side menu that pops up that shows you what your new damage is going to be (against each enemy type if applicable)

So like it would show that maybe the 2% translates to four more damage per swing, and maybe the frost damage only means 2 more damage but against a fire golem or whatever it would mean 6 more. That way I can still make decisions about trade offs but I have a better way of knowing what that’s going to result in.

That's all fine, if it's not such middling numbers that translate into something as meaningless as having to swing my sword 17 times to kill something instead of 15. If I have to actively manipulate poo poo by either switching weapons, upgrading weapons, putting points into stats, I need to feel the difference.

Unless it's automatic... then I generally don't care.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

This is an opinion so bad Hojo must've grown it in a lab.

I think the rap battle gauntlet hath been dropped.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

the holy poopacy posted:

it's really more of a take on old school soulslikes a la Quake II

Explain!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Also, and I know this is kind of just part of the abstraction of an open world game like that but every Bethesda game since Morrowind has suffered from like a logistical cognitive dissonance? Like, we set up this "settlement" and even establish trade with other "settlements" but those settlements are less than a football field away from one another. In Skyrim you have entire cities that are a five minute walk from each other. In Oblivion, they tried to create the illusion of this massive capital but there are maybe 100 people inhabiting it? It made sense in Morrowind that the towns would be small because it was like this lovely frontier on a fuckin volcano.

Opopanax posted:

I just started playing 76 and it's kind of nice because they really don't expect you to care about what little plot there is, you can just run around looting things and stumbling onto side quests

The worst part of 76 was the modular card system. If I wanted to fight, I had to go through this dumb system of swapping out cards. Oh, I want to loot, so I better get my loot cards equipped. Now I want to craft, better switch'em out. I don't know how it is now, but more than a year later they still hadn't built in any sort of card presets. I was using a mod that did that, and it worked for a while but then I started getting booted for using mods.

And I want to throw in my usual complaints that there's no fuckin reason the Master's fuckin supermutants should be ANYWHERE outside of California, or MAYBE Illinois because there was at least some plot reasons in Tactics why they had migrated that far East (though I don't think it explained how they got over the Great Expanse or whatever it's called, the like uninhabitable deadlands between San Fransisco and Chicago.)

credburn has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Feb 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

Doesn't this apply to literally every open world game?

Sort of. Different games handle it better than others, but Bethesda just feels the most blatantly lazy about it. The scene in Skyrim where you and an "army" invade some town, it was built up to be this huge thing and when it happened I laughed out loud because there were... ten of us?

I'm hoping the next generation of open world games will try to make the world itself more believable. I don't need bigger graphics and physics and cosmetic hats.

Hel posted:

Yeah it sucks but the alternative is having a massive content desert between each town because filling it with fun stuff is expensive, or do tricks with fog or mountains to hide the distance. It's why I want old school world maps to come back, because they allowed bigger spaces and stuff without making it tedious to move around.

I think it was on these forums in 2005 when I saw a screenshot of Oblivion without any fog and the viewing distance maxed, and it was laughable how extremely close each town was from another.

credburn has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Feb 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ShootaBoy posted:

You can go play UnReal World and spend weeks walking across kilometer after kilometer of iron age Finland.

Holy smokes I gotta play this

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've got two friends who still play Sega and All Stars Racing Transformed and it's a blast. Occasionally there are enough people in the world playing that we get a full roster, but it's hit and miss. Still a fuckin blast, and I've enjoyed it more than any kart racer since the first Mario Kart.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, both of those All Stars games were great, I thought the first was better than its corresponding Mario Kart and Transformed's only problem was me liking MK8 so much. Which makes this one all the more of a letdown, I should've just dug out Transformed again.

Is that where the nonstop drifting comes from? I was surprised how little of the game is spent facing forward.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing about open world maps. I remember Arcanum had realistically proportioned open world between locales. I can't remember if it was true to scale, but I do believe you could enter world-map-travel mode OR you could just run through miles and miles of procedural generated forests.

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Feb 10, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vandar posted:

S&ASR: Transformed was so loving good. The roster got really weird by the end though.

Like General Winter or the Football Manager.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/07/general-winter-joins-the-cast-of-sonic-sega-all-stars-racing-transformed/

quote:

ASRT’s newest character is from Relics game, who is a characterised incarnation of a metaphor based off a real life phenomenom.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Dying Light.

You spend so much time showing me how I can climb on so many things. And yet you don't let me climb on so many things. I guess corrugated steel = unclimbable but why

For a game about so much freedom, I wish they did a better job of keeping me enclosed instead of resorting to invisible walls. I'm running from zombies and I run up a hill and there is kind of a natural rocky foundation, but these rocks clearly have space on which I could stand, and the game has taught me that most things of a certain height are climbable, but these rocks simply aren't. I know, the game needs to keep me enclosed, but gently caress invisible walls are so lazy and counter-intuitive for a game that seems built around the idea of freedom of movement.

And on that same subject kinda: invisible death floors.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Borderlands 3 are right now pissing me off. I have found so many places that at first glance look like they don't lead anywhere, like it's off a cliff, but sure enough there are enough platforms that allow one to maneuver downward, downward, until inexplicably there is just a spot where it's instant death. How do you get through QA and still allow players to even reach the invisible death floor? I'm not trying to break the game, I'm just exploring like the game suggests I should do.

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Feb 18, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

"Someone"

How hard would it have been to properly credit the person?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I really loved that Everquest game that was on the PS2... it was a kind of Diablo-like. It was the first time I ever played online on a console; I didn't have a keyboard, so I would swing my sword for "yes" and roll or something for "no" and somehow me and this stranger ended up having a long conversation -- okay, so anyway, the one thing that wrecked that game was the underwater level. Because it was just like any other level but slowed down 40% or something. That's it. Everything was just goddamn slower.

Anecdotally, I've recently started dancing at clubs and I'm pretty okay if I'm just by myself, but the moment I try dancing with someone else I just end up colliding with them and stepping on them and I realize it is because I've been trained to react to QTEs that aren't appearing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

Every drat From game including Elden Ring: no "quit to desktop" button. And the game bitches at you next time you star it up if you alt-f4 so either way you're spending more time than you should to turn off the game.

What! gently caress you, game.

What does it say?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Monopoly is a pretty near-perfect game. It has simple rules, the progression of property value/rent is perfectly scaled. It is mostly luck-based but with enough interaction and meta strategy that it isn't. What brings Monopoly down is when people don't know how to play the loving game, or the banker is slow, or people aren't getting ready for their turn. A good game of Monopoly is fast. People complain that Monopoly is too slow and goes on too long -- yeah that game loving sucks if it's slow and long. It shouldn't be. It should be loving blazing fast. You throw your dice, you fuckin move your dude, and you pass the dice. Everything is scaled; the math isn't hard. Can you so simple arithmetic and divide by ten? That's the only math you need to know in this game. The only pause in gameplay should be when someone says "I have this property for sale; I'll trade it for that; no? Okay."

Turns in Monopoly should have a four-second clock and you should pay a fine for every extra second your turn takes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I think what makes Monopoly a good game is that it is basically automatic and luck based with just enough interaction to make it not. If the trading aspect were more streamlined I bet Monopoly would make for an awesome game to bet on.

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you think monopoly is a cool and fun game, then you haven't ever played a good board game. Monopoly commits several sins, several of which would disqualify it from appearing on 99% of board gamer's tables. Yes, even if you play with the proper rules.
  • roll to move (aka you have zero control over what you do on your turn)

Not entirely; sometimes you can find yourself in jail opting to not pay your way out.

quote:

• too-frequent auctions (gotta go around the table many times, takes forever even if people are being quick about it)

• Why would there be frequent auctions? If you're playing with four people it should be enough to keep auctions to a minimum.

quote:

• large portions of the game where the optimal strategy is to not play (sit in jail)

• I think this is a neat option. :colbert:

quote:

• game goes on forever after everyone knows who the winner is

• If there are only two players left, I don't think anyone has an issue if one wants to forfeit. But a good Monopoly game can shift on a single turn or like with two consecutive good rolls. I've had one game last three hours because one person owned all the railroads and the red/orange properties and the other everything else. It was the most exciting loving thing I've ever seen.

quote:

• fiddly components; why do i even need to mess with 1 dollar bills when my net worth is $1500

• The one-dollar bills are fiddly. We often just end up rounding.

Really the only way to enjoy Monopoly is to play with four people minimum, play it fast, play aggressive as gently caress. Make reasonable trades, don't try to "sweeten the pot", don't try fuckin making weird quid pro quos, just get your business done and move on!

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

DontMockMySmock posted:

that's a lot of words to say "actually i enjoy suffering"

loving tic tac toe is a better game than monopoly, because at least it ends in a timely fashion. Or you could play a good game! go on boardgamegeek.com and look at their top 200 user-rated games and pick literally any one of them and it'll be worlds better than monopoly.

In fact, if you want a good game that has the same theming as monopoly, there's Monopoly Deal, a card game spinoff that was designed by someone whose head wasn't in their rear end at the time. I've only played it once or twice, like 10-12 years ago, but I remember it was decent. Howabout that?

I guess Monopoly and all those fall under "board game" but I don't really think of Monopoly and those others as being in the same category, basically for many of the reasons why you don't like it. In the Board Game Casino, Monopoly is like the slot machines and all those others are like craps and what have you. I guess what I mean is... Monopoly is not a "bad" game in the same way a slot machine is not a "bad" gambling device. You just have to know what you're getting into, and if you're good at it (which you can be; Monopoly, I mean, not he slot machine) it can be pretty fun.

Anyway, I made my own version of Monopoly and it fuckin rocks and it's called MONOPOLOCITY even though that makes it sound like it goes fast but it is in fact a significantly longer game.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

Vandar posted:

I am intrigued and would love to learn more.

In brief: corner pieces are split into two (that generally serve the same purpose, which works just as well since there's no way to roll a 1 and so you can't land on the same tile twice), one that forces the player to head down the diagonal path and one that allows the player to choose. Diagonal paths are "districts" and you don't build improvements on them; instead, if you own a monopoly, rent on those spaces are multiplied by ten. Middle piece is a railroad that connects all the other railroads. If a player has that piece, players can travel through the middle to other owned railroads if they pay the middle railroad's owner. There is one more utility. Two more chance/cc cards. Everything is priced to scale. There are also some casino aspects but honestly in order for everything to scale correctly I ended up with a couple extra pieces and needed this to be in some fashion consistent with the game, so whatever, casinos (the casinos basically potentially earn every player money, it's meant to be a quick dice roll and money thing but it's really the weakest part of this modification).

I've played this with friends maybe fifty times, perhaps more? This board is new -- I printed it from a Photoshop thing I made. Previously we used a version of the board I painted on canvas using acrylic paint. Since everything is to scale, the game is super playable. Heading down the middle route early is chancy; the property cost is massive (though you do start with $1000 more -- the game absolutely falls apart without a significant boost to starting funds) but the middle properties are amazing deal makers later on.

One of the new tiles forces you to forfeit all cash or mortgage all properties. There's another tile that is like a jackpot and based on how many times Go! has been passed, it can cash out up to $2,000. But the counter resets (that's what the D20 was for)...

Since you can on any roll hit a railroad and with these modified rules you can travel through the middle to other railroads, it means you can potentially hit Go four times for every one someone without this capacity can do. It's an awesome strategy but since it doesn't show up until certain conditions are met, the game's flow has already changed.

I love Monopoly, but honestly this version is the funnest I've had. It has the same Monopoly stuff, it's not filled with a bunch of bullshit (except the casino bit, ha). Based on opening conditions, players usually choose if they want to try for the traditional pieces, try for a railroad domination, or try to claim the middle, or try to just get the Board Walk / equivalent new middle pieces. You also have people heading different directions at the same time, which makes for cool dynamic strategies.

I actually have the rules written out in a much more sensible fashion, with diagrams and everything but it's in print form.

Gaius Marius posted:

5D Monopoly with Multiverse Time Travel

Your avatar looks like it's a person with a big head climbing on top of a thing and at the same time just a person with a big head.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    I adore the fact that the resolution to the problem is to acquiesce entirely to the cat's preferences like the good human it's trained you to be.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    Any Mario Kart level's glider section is always the weakest and I feel like they would be better if omitted entirely.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    I wish Troy Baker would stop voicing characters. He's a great actor but his range is loving limited. Everyone he voices just sounds like Troy Baker with varying levels of twang.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

Philippe posted:

I think he's like Rob Liefeld: puts in journeyman work, pleasant to work with, all that jazz.

I like him in Death Stranding, because he's more of an actor than usual.

I had just finished Last of Us when I played Death Stranding and it was obnoxious because it is the exact same voice. It just sounded like Joel doing a character.

Agents are GO! posted:

The only game I didn't find this to be true was Shadow of Mordor.

Whoa, you're right. I didn't realize that was him!

Speaking of voice actors though, what's Cam Clarke been up to? It's always a joy when he shows up.

Edit: I see he is credited in Red Dead Redemption 2 as "The Local Pedestrian Population"

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Mar 15, 2022

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    Borderlands 3 has you bouncing around all over the loving galaxy. I mean, I know the whole Borderlands series is insane, but there was something to keeping all that contained within the Pandora area that made that insanity feel localized. Like, they make a point several times in Tales From the Borderlands how insane and bonkers and absurdly violent Pandora is. But in Borderlands 3, well I guess the whole universe is like that.

It annoys me, anyway. There's no reason any place you travel to can't just be on Pandora or whatever the moon is called.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    "Game does not pause while looking at the map" was never executed better than in Far Cry 2, as I'm trying to drive through a jungle while people are shooting at me and I'm bouncing around over rough terrain and I can't see anything because I'm holding the map in front of me like a confused tourist.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Horizon does let you Skyrim jump up half the mountains. I got all those altar relics without bothering with the obstacle course..

Is that where you hug the wall and make incremental hops up the slope? Haha I used to call it the Morrowind Hop. But I guess it's built into all Elder Scrolls games.

Speaking of open world RPGs, I just got Outer Worlds and there are two things that immediately annoy me. The first is that there is no mantling. I believe we are at a place where first person games that allow you to jump around all over the place should also allow you to mantle. A jumpy FPS without mantling feels as weird in this era as an FPS without jumping did by the late 90s.

Second: I like violence in video games, but come on. I attacked a person from behind once with my knife and what remains of them is a mutilated torso that has had its head and all four limbs brutally chopped off.

Also as an aside about Outer Worlds: I was starting to get framerate hits, so I notched the quality down and I realize that there were so many filters and poo poo going on that I absolutely felt like I couldn't see the game. Outer Worlds at max quality is weird to me, it doesn't look right. Like, I have trouble identifying what I'm seeing, like I'm suddenly suffering from aphantasia or something.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Apr 9, 2022

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

Rockman Reserve posted:

For an actual thing-dragging-this-down tied to an earlier discussion, I've been trying to jump into Planetside 2 with some friends and it's just bizarre to play an FPS with so much chest-high architecture that doesn't have mantling.

What's mantling?

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I don't understand why fall damage is a thing when it seems like you have "Worringly deep drop that is actually ok with no damage" and "instant death" with zero in-between. Sometimes it feels like the dungeons have different fall damage rules to the over world.

One of the first things Borderlands 3 does is tell you there is no fall damage, but some drops will just instantly kill you, whether it's because it's clearly meant to be some unreachable far drop or just an out of the way place the game failed to prevent you from reaching. loving hell, don't tell me there's no fall damage and then present me with cliffs to jump off of.

Philippe posted:

This is also a thing that annoys me about the new Deus Exes. Adam can either fall and be fine, fall and lose almost all of his health, or fall and die, without much indication of what is which.

I like how in Deus Ex you could fall and break both your legs and still be a master stealth cyberpunk assassin, oozing around on the floor and through vents like a paralyzed dog.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I may have mentioned it before but getting the Hitman games to play nice with one another is still a real pain in the rear end on console. I can't get the levels from each game (and I own all 3) to recognize the others and keep track of my progress. It's not a huge deal since I simply change the game disc but it's supposed to save your achievements from each version and give you access to all your levels/maps.

You know what's dragging games down? Discs. Physical media should have been concluded before the PS4 launched.

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016
    I posted this in another thread but it really drags a franchise down for me, this awful naming convention trend that's really overstayed its welcome:

Game
    Game 2
    Game 3: The Subtitle
    Game: Just The Subtitle
    Game (not a remake)
    The Game (a remake of Game (the first one))
    The Game 2 (sequel to The Game But Not Related To Game 2)
    The Game: One (a sequel to Game 2 but a prequel to Game (not a remake))
    The Game: Eternity/Infinity (is now free to play)

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

:mad:

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
    Jun 22, 2016

Alhazred posted:

GTA
    GTA II
    GTA III
    GTA Vice City
    GTA San Andreas
    GTA Liberty City Stories
    GTA Vice City Stories
    GTA IV

I think this naming convention is fine. Having the numbers pause while a couple games are iterated along the same theme or whatever is fine. Having side games that aren't numbered is fine. I would get loving annoyed if Grand Theft Auto 6 was called The Grand Theft Auto or something stupid. Call it 6 or make it part of the GTA V umbrella, but at least the naming thus far is really consistent.

Also, this isn't dragging anything down, but just for a place to complain about something:

I started off playing MUDs, and I know what MOBs are. But I hated when MUD acronyms started seeping into non-MUD places, like MMORPGs and even first person shooters. Suddenly after playing Everquest, all my friends started referring to any enemy as a mob. I said no, sirs, that's now what a mob is. That's not what a MOB is. But friends and the Internet at large were like NO MOBS ARE ENEMIES and I felt like I was losing this battle of... whatever, it was just a naming convention that I was hoping was a fad that was going away. So fast forward like twenty years and I'm playing video games again, and I start playing Minecraft for the first time ever. My friend Melissa keeps referring to the zombies and poo poo as MOBs and I am like, gently caress what is this, I thought we were done with the MOBs thing, and I go on nagging her about ACTUALLY MOBs come from... blah blah blah, real insufferable grognard poo poo. And she's like, Dude I've never even heard of a MUD I'm just telling you what the game tells me. And I'm like, well the loving GAME doesn't call them MOBs and she's like ACTUALLY IT DOES and gently caress, it does. So in summary, what's bringing a lot of games down for me appears to just be me :mad:

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Apr 18, 2022