Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A was jump on NES, because B was "B-speed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

[Your favorite game]? That game for dumb babies who are dumb and babies?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Arivia posted:

i found ramses' mummy behind a waterfall. i'm not making this up.

how did it taste?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. Silver bokoblins etc sure are annoying as hell. Got 3 divine beasts down and I get near one-shot by those assholes still, plus they take like 15+ hits themselves to kill.

What a weird decision. Are they similarly scaled in TotK?

Yeah, they scale the same in TotK, though you have better tools to deal with them. Still not great.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Tears of the Kingdom is an amazing game, and probably better than Breath of the Wild. The only reason I would suggest not playing it right after BotW is because they are very similar and you will get burned out.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I still remember when those weapons were announced for Dark Souls II and people were mad about it, and the common defense was "It's not pay to win or anything! You can buy them in the actual game!" And you could: at the end of the game, from the ghost man in drangleic castle. They still weren't pay to win because they weren't so good they'd magically make up for being bad at the game or anything, but still; it was an odd choice.

you are confused, OP was talking about Darksiders 2

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Far Cry peaked at Caveman

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dying Light is really fun to play but has some real dogshit writing. In the sequel, there's even more writing and it's even worse.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

He's trying to unstick his balls

whom amongst us

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Croccers posted:

A sound based puzzle where you have to guess which people poo poo their pants based on the fart.wav

Shitten the sequel to Pissed

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Croccers posted:

The Shitness

no thanks, just play the parody game The Pooper

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I want to say that if you joined a group that the messages from those members would show up more, so certain ones would have better messages. They have always been pretty meme-ified though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The villain of every season is a poison swamp

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Jack Black as Seath

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

something something Orns-dean and Smough

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Achievements should be obsessive in a game about obsessively sorting things!

(A Little to the Left was an ok game but not one I'd give two shits about achievements for)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

bossy lady posted:

If you didn't beat the game with the squeaky shoes can you really say you beat bloodstained?

This was how i beat Elden Ring and it is the way.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

the_steve posted:

Other games do it, but I'm going to say FF7Rebirth for the forced slow walking.
I get that sometimes it's done for narrative purposes, but there are a lot of times where Cloud will start walking at a snail's pace just because he's indoors or something.
Like yeah, I get it, you wouldn't be jogging through a crowded hotel hallway in the real world, but this is a videogame, I don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to cross the street, especially not when there's a lot of ground to explore.

I recently played the first FF7 remake and far, far too much of that game is padding like slow walk, crawling, squeezing through tight spaces.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Nah, if the game's got a dodge button it should be effective. Don't let me do it if it doesn't do anything.

edit: Look at that distance, it's not even good for repositioning.

*again notes how this applies to the FF7 Remake*

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

Skipping past all the compelling voice acting, quest writing and character development so I can gaze lovingly at the event log that says “the party gained 80 experience” and uninstalling the game as soon as the experience points stop

If the characters have something important to say I can just read about it on the gamefaqs page as I look up where to go for the next step of the quest.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Xena and Gabrielle

Those two had one of the most pure friendships. I hope they were able to continue it after they both got husbands.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Speaking of Boderlands, I'm finally doing BL3. There is far, far too much dialogue, and not one bit of it is any good.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol "will I get to fight Majima in Yakuza Kiwami?" buddy you don't even know

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Final boss - Majima with Therapy.

:hmmyes: Majima attacks Kiryu at the therapy office

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I find it kinda weird that I can kill a dragon in Skyrim but Captain Hargar in the Broken Oar Grotto is kicking my rear end.

You are Dragonborn, not Hargarborn

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

bawk posted:

I'm just finishing the Dice Gambling place with Haruka in Yakuza Kiwami, and I'm turning the difficulty down to Easy. The best way to describe the combat in this game is "constantly in the way"

It's OK when it's random street thugs who you can style on in 20 seconds, but I have yet to have the "Eureka!" moment that suddenly unlocks this combat system being secretly good for long-scale fights. If you commit to any punch at all when there's multiple characters to fight, you will get dinged by some random mook and lose a huge chunk of your Heat bar. I've unlocked the abilities that let you immediately block after getting interrupted/immediately dodge after getting interrupted and they don't seem to actually do anything, no matter which style I'm currently using. If I get hit, I will press the dash button repeatedly while getting wombo-combo'd by two bosses, and then have to button mash to stand back up because they've also taken away all the Heat.

100%. Great games, but the boss combat just sucks.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I dunno, I like that From makes the lore as deep as you want it to be. I think it's fun to gleam some of what is going on but I hate the hours long lore videos speculating every detail

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Arivia posted:

Zullie the witch is cool and good though

Yes of course.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

You can have the most beautiful hand crafted world ever but if I have to traverse it 5000 times I'd like fast travel please

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Days Gone is too goddamn long

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Video game titles should never be more than one word.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

You of the Baba

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Morpheus posted:

How do you think he became the boss of the outpost

Nepo baby. His parents were also immune to gunfire.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sins is a Dark Souls game, so I am enjoying it. It's long, a lot of the bosses aren't memorable, honestly a lot of them are easier than any two other enemies. But the thing dragging this down, and SotFS specifically as I understand it, is the loving Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Imagine you are playing a Zelda game, and you have those "small keys" (Fragrant Branches) that every dungeon has a few of. But instead of being dungeon-specific, they are potentially usable anywhere in the world, and findable almost anywhere in the world. There are 15 doors that can be unlocked with these keys, and where the doors are has absolutely no relation to where the keys are. Sometimes, the door unlocks an entire new area of the game, sometimes with several sub-areas behind it. Other times, the door is just a thwomp who tries to attack you, and reveals nothing. But most often, the door just stays shut because you don't have one of the keys on you because you just unlocked a Thwomp, so you can't pass it, and you have absolutely no clue where to find another one of these loving keys. Progress denied!

Extra grating because these aren't "doors," they are people who have been turned to stone. It is well-established that your character is capable of chopping stone statues in half, and often there is clearly enough space around them to just walk by, but nope: "a statue blocks your path." There's not a good lore reason why they're there, there's not any even remotely engaging gameplay to opening the passage, it's just, "Well, I guess I'll backtrack, and hope to gently caress I can remember where this is next time I find a Fragrant Branch, and hope doubly that it's not just another loving trash enemy waste of time."

But worst of all, my understanding from the wiki page on these is that in the original game there were like 4 of these statues, and in SotFS they decided to add a shitload more, blocking you off from making progress. This feels like the kind of mechanic that would be REMOVED in a director's cut as an obviously bad, half-thought-out, unengaging waste of time, not ADDED IN as a missing feature.

Big yikes.

Yeah, SotFS basically turned everything up. More petrification, more enemies, more invaders. Some of it works, some of it (Iron Keep) just becomes way more of a chore than it already was.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Iron keep in SotFS is like half a dozen invasions on the first bridge, 4 dozen Alonne knights before Smelter Demon.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Fondly remembering how rage inducing the Iron Keep elevator was at release :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Mr E posted:

I'm playing thru the Yakuza series since I haven't played 4-6 since around their release and haven't played Kiwami 2 at all, and am going to try and get most of 100% completion in as many as I can because I am not a smart person. I think I might be skipping Shogi because while I've played enough Mahjong Soul to mostly get it I just don't understand superchess.

I love the Yakuza games but this sounds like actual torture

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Vic posted:

Hypnospace outlaw

that's actually hypnospace though

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Band Hero not only plays its climactic song American Pie with the credits running right over the top of the note chart:

But it's got some insane censorship where the word "whiskey" is removed, ruining one of the most famous choruses of all time.

Does it leave in "rye"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Want some rye? 'Course you do!