Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sardonik posted:

On the other hand, I think having things more spread out gave the game more a proper sense of scale. Everything was ridiculously cluttered in FO3. Also Fallout 3 forced you to use subways to explore certain areas.

Maybe in the areas closer to DC, but there have been many times in Fallout 3 where I can wander for a pretty long time before encountering any actual buildings compared to New Vegas. The Mojave feels pretty small really.

The subway thing was annoying though, even if it did sort of make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.

I have had them follow me inside a Ranger station (from Primm Pass) and the Brotherhood of Steel Safehouse, so yeah I could see that being a problem.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Late in my first playthrough of Fallout 3 I had a really interesting bug where a Deathclaw would spawn in the very middle of Megaton and attack everyone around.

I got one in New Vegas where a Centaur would spawn and just kind of hang out in the middle of that scrapyard near Novac. It was hostile to me, but if I attacked it the Old Lady Gibson and her dogs would get pissed at me and defend it. :wtc:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Sounds like the kind old woman who loves animals has adopted it and then some drifter just shows up and caps her new pet.

Well she needed to train it better because it was hurling radioactive goo at me. :colbert:

I remember Regulator HQ in Fallout 3 being an absolute nightmare for really dangerous multiple spawns like deathclaws and radscorpions (and robots and yao guai).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

After a while I just had to stop taking that perk because the regulator lady would run away from the dangerous creatures and it was impossible to get any benefit from it.

Yeah I had that problem once. But she's marked as essential, so I just shot her until she was unconscious and then dragged her over directly in front of the door to the building. Once she woke up, she ran back inside the house to get away from me. Then you just wait a few days for her to calm down about it and everything is fixed. :v:

She normally won't do that if you make sure to kill everything and wait for combat to end completely. She usually flees because you come into the building while still technically in combat/with aggro, which takes some time to end even after everything is dead. Which is stupid, but hey it's Bethesda.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Big Town in F3 would usually end up being destroyed by Super Mutants/Deathclaws since it was one of the few towns that had no invisible walls or loading screens for protection.

Well it's scripted to be completely wiped out anyway unless you complete that quest in just the right way. Sometimes that's hard because of course it glitches.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

For those of us who haven't played the game, does this mean the bullets take their jackets off in a sultry striptease?

Sadly, it looks like "Exotic" is just the name they use for a certain rare equipment tier. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pidmon posted:

After he wins again I search on my phone - it was a loving good old games ad that was never removed from the PC game after the promotion ended or removed when it was ported to the 360.

This is weird because the dude wouldn't even speak to me in any version of the game and definitely wouldn't play dice.

2house2fly posted:

I avoided the dice poker quests because I hate dice poker, and it stuck in my craw to let precious experience points slip through my fingers, but I guess I made the right choice after all :v:

There are at least a few quests that require dice poker in order to get the quest item and at least one of them is mandatory depending on which side you go with. You can also get some nice diagrams and stuff instead of coins. But really the dice poker stuff is easy as long as you save scum it to minimize how much cash you lose.

Arm wrestling will probably break the stick on my controller someday though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Valdis Story is the one that loving Goons recommended when it was in a Steam sale and it turned out to be utter shite after an hours play because some subsection of Goons will recommend literally any game no matter how terrible it is.

Just going by the posts in this thread, it kind of sounds like one of those situations where the game never bothers to explain anything and has weird unintuitive mechanics that can screw you over if you don't figure them out. Which indeed a lot of goons (and gamers in general) downright worship because they think ANY tutorial or in-game explanation of anything is "handholding for babies."

But I'm not all that familiar with the game so I could be off.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Valdis Story could explain every mechanic down to the line of code that was written about it for all I care but that's not going to stop how stiff it feels to control your character.

Well I mean there's a weird subset of players who will excuse pretty much anything else wrong with a game as long as it's really obtuse or allows you to screw yourself over so badly you have to start over.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tykero posted:

I'm sorry you all have bad taste in video games / I have bad taste in video games.

I thought Valdis Story was great, if a bit anime in places. I found the controls to be really solid. The fact that there are secrets in the game shouldn't be a surprise as the game is designed to be replayed multiple times. Getting all salty sad about "screwing yourself over" (you can't actually do this, the game is never impossible to complete) in a retro-styled game is really confusing to me.

Not to say the game doesn't have its faults, especially on the "explaining basic game mechanics" front (such as some platforming controls not being explained terribly well), but I personally had no issues figuring all that stuff out just fine on my own.

Valdis Story is a good game. It's not for everyone, but it's a good game.

I personally know nothing about this game and really don't have an opinion on it, it was more of a general comment based on the posts in here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Kimmalah, your anti-Valdis Story agenda has been dragging this thread down from the start. Don't try to pass the blame here.

Clearly spudsbuckley is the ringleader here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

One more about Fallout New Vegas, I'm sorry.

I've killed every NPC in the Legion, including the leader, second-in-command, there's literally nobody left. Then, I nuked their ultimate stronghold. With a nuclear missile. A full goddamn nuke. It left a big hole and then I went in and killed all the ghoul-survivors too.

They're still sending killsquads after me. :negative:

Where are the clone production facilities man help!

I don't think that means you've wiped out every single Legion soldier though. There's scattered groups of them all over the place that wouldn't be around for the nukes or whatever - they control at least the whole state of Arizona, possibly more. And I don't even remember Dry Wells being an "ultimate stronghold," it was just where Ulysses was from originally. I was also under the impression that The Fort was just kind of where they were amassing forces for the upcoming battle rather than being a permanent HQ but I don't know.

But I think the real answer here is just "it's a video game." Same reason Skyrim still has dragons spawning after you stop the source of the dragons. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Byzantine posted:

You didn't kill their second-in-command, because he's the final boss of the game and doesn't show up before then.

They're probably thinking of Vulpes Inculta, who could probably be mistaken for a second-in-command based on some of the dialogue.

Which actually reminds me - if he hasn't gotten to Legate Lanius, then that means there's a pretty sizable camp of Legion soldiers in Nevada that haven't been wiped out yet because it's inaccessible until the battle for the dam.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mr. Kurtz posted:

That's really annoying, if not sort-of fraudulent on the consumer.

It is annoying, but Bethesda's recent games have been pretty notorious for not running well on the PS3. The first DLC for Skyrim was delayed for almost a year on PS3 because it apparently had so many gamebreaking issues compared to other platforms.

If you can, in general PC is the way to go only because you can bypass a lot of buggy poo poo with fanmade patches and console commands. Also modding.

im pooping! posted:

I decided early on I'd use my PS3 for exclusives only. The one exception is GTA 5.

And I played through Fallout 3 on my Xbox and enjoyed it, but of course PC is better so I bought it with the Fallout bundle on Steam, and what do you know, after the opening video, the game crashes and I'm too lazy to figure out what's wrong with it. Kinda stupid when New Vegas works just fine on my computer.

Part of it is you need Games for Windows Live for the game to run - my version wouldn't even start up without it installed. There's also a thing you can do that involves changing part of a line of code and adding another one to the .ini file for the game. Once I did those two things Fallout 3 has never crashed on my computer again when previously it was doing it constantly.

Weirdly I've never had a problem with New Vegas. I think I've only had one or two crashes in almost 100 hours of gameplay. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

Does it just remove the hud? What about QTEs and any/all items shining kinda thing?

Sounds like it does a bit more than that :stonklol:

quote:

Grounded does a few things to make the game a serious challenge. For one, supplies are extremely rare, making stealth kills necessary. Additionally, game hints, Listening Mode, and prompts are completely disabled. Made harder, the HUD is disabled, enemies do 300% damage, and the A.I. is more aware than in the other modes.

Apparently there are fewer checkpoints as well and maybe some other things I couldn't find.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Is talking about the Souls games still verboten? If not... I am at the Ruin Guards in Dark Souls 2 and I keep having problems where I am hit by attacks that didn't actually connect with my character model, or where I should be able to make a roll past one of them to avoid an attack, but I get stuck on some sort of invisible barrier next to the boss.

Crazy hitboxes are just kind of a thing you learn to work with in Dark Souls 2, just like the auto-tracking attacks. :shrug: If you think Ruin Sentinels are bad for that, you're going to love some of the later game bosses! Leveling your ADP stat helps make things like rolling more effective so even if you get hung up on them and end up rolling directly into them their attacks will still often miss you.

My problem lately has been the crazy auto-targeting which causes my character to lock on to enemies behind walls/across rooms (instead of the one RIGHT in front of me) or just switch back and forth between them so I can't really hit anything. It's almost gotten me killed a few times.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

I know it's just the way things have to be because there are only so many actors out there, but this kind of thing really does kind of pull me out of games sometimes. I think the worst so far was hearing Sadler in Resident Evil 4 and realizing that "Hey it's that dude who voices almost every man in Skyrim!"

And I can't hear the male player character in Destiny without thinking of Ghost in the Shell.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

El Cid posted:

I was playing Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising the other day and there was a scene with Steve Blum talking to Steve Blum. I believe they might have been having a conversation about another character voiced by Steve Blum. I am being entirely serious.

Skyrim had a lot of those moments since only a few actors voice the different races in the game. It was probably most noticeable during a scene that had Keith Szarabajka (aka Dark Elf guy) simultaneously threatening and begging himself not to be killed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, I like to think everyone agrees that Megaman 9 and 10 were godawful cash-grabs at nostalgia rather than attempts to make good games, but that doesn't make that true either.

Boss fights are awesome, and games entirely about boss fights are awesomer. :c00lbert: Shadow of the Colossus, represent.

Boss fights can be fun or a huge pain in the rear end that can ruin a game right off the bat, which I'm guessing might have something to do with the move away from them. Not everyone thinks they're fun or plays games as some kind of test of how many times they can beat their head against a boss before finally winning.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

owl_pellet posted:

I had to learn to get over my obsessive behavior when it comes to clearing game quest logs when I played Skyrim. The radiant quest system just made it impossible to either clear at all or keep clear for any real length of time, and I played it on console so no mods granting the ability to delete quests for me (if such a thing even exists).

Kingdoms of Amalur is a loving nightmare if you're really completionist about your quest log. First there's just a ton of menial poo poo to do and a lot of the minor collection quests never actually have an end.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of, here's the pettiest complaint I can think of. I hate it when I'm playing skyrim or something and I want to check an item or character out because I have a bunch of nerdy lore mods and like seeing how accurate the mod is. Then google's first response is always the god awful Elder Scrolls Wikia. Which is doubly awful if you're using the steam browser for any reason because the ads on wikia pages tend to crash it, at least in my experience.

They do sometimes have stuff that UESP doesn't (like actually showing you where locations are on the map) and it is better if you just want a wiki that gets to the point about something you're looking up instead of giving you a giant table of DnD stats. Both are useful, it just kind of depends on what you're looking for.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Bioware what the gently caress

I like the way the other character has that :wtc: expression after the crazy one runs out of the room.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

The thing dragging Resident Evil down is that it will never again be as good as Resident Evil 4 was, even though they've tried really really hard to put that lightning back in the bottle since then.

The Evil Within is closer to Resident Evil 4 than some of the RE sequels really.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

It's actually pretty good but it's one of those games where you have to insist on playing it the "right" way or it's just a frustrating mess, that means using the environment, using the stealth system, and generally planning things out and using all the tools available to you.

Yes and it's not always 100% clear about this either. Like a few of the boss fights are presented like regular fights, but you're really supposed to stealth them or just run away.

And then there's the ever present letterbox problem and the fact that it crashes a whole lot (in true Bethesda tradition). It just got a huge patch so hopefully it's gotten more stable.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

1stGear posted:

The times I encountered they pretty much never hit any of the physics objects or stepped in the water puddles. I had to find them by guesstimating based on noises and shooting that spot.

They never killed me and were never more than an irritation, but it just felt like the designers had realized players might have too much ammo after stealthing the village and said, "Welp, we gotta burn that somehow."

You can scan the room with the crossbow and the targeting will show you where they are (the blue line will be interrupted by their body). Which really only helps when they're still across the room, but it's something. I think flash bolts will stun them out of invisibility too and then you can just do a stealth kill.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

I don't think that's what anyone's trying to say? Though I don't really understand what could possibly be added to a game to fix this problem if you can't figure out what to do from a quest log and objectives. I understand the feeling that poster was talking about, but it's usually fine after I dig through the menus a bit or talk to people and get myself back up to speed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

The Batman games (or maybe just the latter two? I don't remember) have a recap whenever you start the game back up and load a save. Not just "here's your current objective" but also "this is what led up to the current objective".

I'm not sure if that style is 100% appropriate for every single game ever made, but certainly helps alleviate that feeling of being lost at very little cost.

I guess it would help if you've taken a long break, but I hated that sort of thing when it was in a game I was playing continuously. If it's skippable though, I wouldn't mind.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Piell posted:

It's on the loading screen. It works out pretty great.

That I don't mind. I was thinking it was something along the lines of Darksiders 2, that basically made you watch a cutscene recap every time you loaded the game up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lotish posted:

What frustrated me about New Vegas was that despite having good rep and bad rep levels, you still largely had an even divide between "shoot on sight" and "leave alone" with almost all factions. If you piss of a monolithic group even a little then you'd be slamming the ceiling of negative rep like a rocket just from defending yourself.

When I did a run for the Legion side of things, I had already done a bunch of quests for the NCR first. So my reputation with them was so high that I managed to outright assassinate their president and only get down to "Wild Child" status, which still isn't a shoot on sight reputation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I went around assassinating NCR officers with Legion throwing spears and never took a hit for it as long as I stayed out of sight.

Even if you do take a reputation hit, there's always faction armor! Or that's how I got through that GRA challenge anyway.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Unironically all of this.

Back to the days when they gave you blank lined pages in the manuals. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lotish posted:

ME3 did it and the Resistance thing mentioned earlier. You have a shield, then a segmented life bar. The shield recharges when you aren't getting hit or when you use certain powers, but if a bar of life is lost it's gone until you use a medi-gel (portable health pack), of which you have a limited number.

Borderlands 2 also did the shield/medpacks thing, although you can unlock skills that will give you healing in other ways.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Even dark souls, the pinnacle of gaming, had a girl with huge tits. As a gamer and a human, I'm dissapointed in the state of games today.

Here the disappointment usually comes from other players, because every female NPC is surrounded by creepy (as much as it's possible) player messages.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ArtIsResistance posted:

I didn't know people got mad about those messages but the fact that I can drop a message to piss spergs off in dark souls does improve the game for me

to contribute, solitaire is dragged down by the fact that sometimes you spawn with many aces and sometimes you spawn with few. I have a very ace-dependant strategy and I find different spawns can have devastating effects for my campaign.

I don't think it pisses most people off, it's more like "Oh, it's that again." :geno: Similar to the feeling I get when I see the 5 million "Praise the sun" messages on the way into town.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

man gently caress the earth dungeon.

*run 10 yards*
inception noise BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
fight a dozen minions and either a big fiery bomb guy or a giant creature, all of whom are trivial if you're still using one of the guns you can only use here
repeat infinity times

It's a good level if you've got a lot of frustration to take out and want to just spray an area with bullets instead of trying to be the slightest bit tactical about it. I managed to stick with Darksiders 2 until the boss fight with the portal thing and then I just couldn't take it anymore.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Polaron posted:

I liked the one in Oblivion, where you go to the house fully ready to take out the rats in this woman's basement and find out that no, she wants you to defend her pet rats.

From a bunch of mountain lions that keep getting into her basement.

You can even ask her "Wait, you don't want me to kill the rats?" and she looks at you like you're an idiot and responds "No! They're my pets!"

The best part is that, IIRC, her sister hired the player character of the previous game, Morrowind, to do the whole 'Clear out the basement rats' thing.

There's also a weirdly powerful rat in Lazare Milvan's House in Skingrad. It was apparently put there for testing purposes and just never removed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cleretic posted:

You might be either walking by default, or turned it on accidentally. Hit caps lock a couple times while moving, you might be able to figure that out.

You also move slower when your legs are crippled, that might be happening.

These are all possible, but the normal movement speed in New Vegas is just really slow compared to a lot of games. It's frustrating if I've been playing other stuff and come back to it after a while.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Grimlook posted:

I got the new SSX and I just hate the bottomless pits. I don't see the point of "dying" in those type of games

I guess the risk of death is supposed to make it all more "extreme?" It's also hilarious to watch your little guy fall into an abyss, but maybe I'm just a monster.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

- the zombies often appear literally out of the thin air in order to create drama and a sense of urgency, and sometimes to get rid of excessive party members
- the action scenes - you have infinite ammo, so there's no sense of wasting bullets, and there's a checkpoint right before, so there's no danger. And no matter how you struggle, if the plot does not want you to get out, you won't

These are both very true of Walking Dead the show and comic too (except no checkpoints obviously). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Len posted:

That is the essential Walking Dead trait right there. Robert Kirkman is kind of a poo poo writer and walking dead follows this basic plotline of 1) Nothing happening 2) Zombies out of nowhere kill people 3) New location where the survivors meet more survivors, 4) Repeat steps 1-3 until the money stops.

Don't forget step 3b) The new survivors are either cannibals or part of some compound with an insane leader. Both of which come up in the games at some point.