Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kennel posted:

Dinosaur enemies suck.

Big ones: bullet sponges
Little ones: annoying fast assholes

I think for the TR reboot series they would need to make a fight against a T-Rex some kind of big setpiece fight where you're using unconventional weapons or things in the environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

You'll play as his clone in the sequel, Caal, who will be relearning for the first time.

That's a really good caalback joke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dewgy posted:

I had way too much free time a few years back and three starred most of the Batmobile races, even the DLC ones, and it turns out it has a fantastic driving model that takes a really long time to get used to and has absolutely no business being in that game.

I agree. The driving model was good but it's basically just for the challenges themselves. It's not integrated into the general gameplay, especially when you can get around the city with the gliding and grappling.

Props to them for making getting in and out of the Batmobile easy and seamless, though. Putting in mechanics where you can transition from high up between buildings to sitting in the driver's seat and vice versa is not just a fantastic Batman kind of thing to do but it works so well to use as the player. If only more games with vehicles and mounts had that slick as hell and useful transition. It's why the vehicles in Crackdown were so forgettable because the act of getting to and into your car was such an out-of-the-way chore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

By far the thing that bugs me most about collectibles is when the game doesn't track them for you, sometimes not even with a drat number. I'm far more likely to collect 100 widgets if I know at the 99th widget I'm not going to be using some dude's GameFAQs list and wondering how many places I'll have to retread because I can't recall which ones I already have. Spider-Man was good about showing which Backpacks you still had to get but it was bad for Secret Photo Ops in not letting you know which ones you already did. God of War was pretty good about breaking up the collectible counts by locations in the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stoatbringer posted:

My Death Stranding server appears to be populated by idiots who love to build random structures all over the place that serve no point.

Ooh, a new Zipline at the bottom of a mountain, great! I'll just jump on it a zip up the mountain... oops, no, I mean out into the middle of nowhere. Oh hey, a bridge, there must be a ravine or someth... oops no, just some flat gravel. Oh hey, a new Watchtower, there must be some MULEs about and... oops no it's just blocking a mountain pass and there's nothing nearby to look at.

Stop wasting resources on pointless structures and fix the roads, dammit! :argh:

I think you can influence whose structures you get if you use Bridge Links? Thread, confirm/deny?

Oh wait, this isn't the Death Stranding thread, whoops!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ziplines should have only been brought into your world from others in pairs. Because of the distance limit between any two anchors they often are too far away from the next closest anchor in your network or too close to the point they would be a waste of time to use. Even though it didn't save me any bandwidth I deleted most online anchors I came across just to reduce confusion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm curious about what percentage of their games goons *do* master. I enjoy most games that I play but I'll usually be good enough to beat the game, maybe get the plat or 100%, then move on. It's rare I stick with a game long enough to be a master.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bewilderment posted:

I have far too many hours in League of Legends (having stopped seriously playing over five years ago) and I never even really got good at it.

Yeah but "mastering" a multiplayer game like that is a whole different thing. Not only is the game is changing often but your mastery is relative to millions of other people so the time and effort needed to become a master is massive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hel posted:

Don't know about tlou2 but Arkham Origins had a reason for it, people kept complaining that they died in the Arkham games but refused to buy the health upgrades so Origins forced you to. A better option would have been to go back to the old rpg style of separate stat and skill points or just have the health go up whenever er you bought any skill.

Is that why? Good lord. Well, at least if it was in reaction to something like that I can fault them less because until now it had been a baffling decision. But man, if you find yourself needing more health as a player than invest in some drat health.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SkeletonHero posted:

And wildlife almost always aggressively scales to your level. Fighting an animal as a 1st-level Peasant with a walking stick and a rock is just as difficult as fighting it as a 50th-level Godslayer with a +4 Sword of Ultimate Badassitude and the Wolf-Killer Superbow of the Cosmos. It doesn't help that combat pretty much never accounts for you fighting something smaller than you so you just end up swinging at air like a moron while a bobcat darts around biting your legendary taint, unbothered.

Good name for a taint.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nuebot posted:

I also hate how the PS4 gets to dictate what you can and can't screenshot or stream. Thanks, namco, I wanted to show my friends how cool Gundam Breaker was because they'd never heard of it, but I guess I won't because I literally can't. Real cool of you.

It's funny when that happens using SHAREfactory. Like you don't want me to record a clip of my other clip while it renders? I mean, ok I wasn't planning on doing that anyway chum but if I was able to record the clip originally who are you to say the recording is now restricted?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Either way, Barret's plan requires casualties. You don't shut down the energy infrastructure of a city (or the world? I'm unclear on that) without hurting and killing people in the process.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skyrim: I never liked how much harder bosses were compared to the preceding dungeon. Given that the game has level-scaling it never feels right when after beating piss-easy skeletons and moderate draugr you face a brick wall like a master vampire. The bosses feel like they're a tier higher than they aught to be. It's like following up Glass Joe with Mr Sandman.

Since you mentioned a boxing game, I guess Skyrim is using the rope-a-dope tactic?

Edit: Not related to videogames but apparently the whole "rope-a-dope" thing employed by Ali was a myth. In talking about it years later, Foreman used this great phrase:

quote:

Muhammad began bragging about his great strategy—letting me punch myself out before delivering the crowning blows. But I know, and he knows, he had no such strategy before the fight. To say he did is to shoot an arrow into a barn and then paint a bull's-eye around it. Muhammad's only strategy had been survival. When I cut off the ring from him, he had nowhere to go but the ropes, and nothing to do but cover up. What's more true than his concoction of some brilliant strategy is that I fought a foolish fight by not letting him come to me more.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Jul 7, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OutOfPrint posted:

Magic vs. melee has been a problem since D&D 1e.

Magic to me makes more sense in a game the more abstract the combat. Like in a traditional Final Fantasy game where the combatants are lined up against each other like chess pieces, magic works because there's no need to consider what would actually be happening moment to moment in real time and in real space. But the more "realistic" the combat is supposed to be the more likely it is a mage and enemy will be running around like the Benny Hill theme is playing or their magic will have to be largely shaped around preventing that. I put realistic in quotes because I feel like an actual realistic fight would be over much more quickly but a videogame obviously tends to extend any combat encounter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

Same, everyone in the city being built like they're auditioning to be Captain America really lends credence to everyone being like 'Who could possibly be Batman?' as the crowd is choked with dudes so broad they have to enter buildings sideways.

Still, might be the smart play to wager on the guy with the insane wealth, zero family, and tragic upbringing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

I know the Joker usually doesn't care because he's not interested in the non-Batman part of Batman, but have any of his other villains stumbled onto his identity only to dismiss it for some reason?

I remember that there was a Superman story at one point where Lex uses this supercomputer that proves that Superman is Clark but he ultimately refuses to believe because his mind can't comprehend a being of Superman's power pretending to be something so pathetic. I always thought that was a cool way to handle it

I believe that was in the John Byrne reboot, so in other words he had the answer fairly early on but dismissed it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My pet peeve with voice acting, be it games or animation or whatever, is when a character is interrupted but they clearly stop before it and it's obvious there was nothing written past their last word. A real interruption would have some overlap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

I have to imagine that must be a technical issue because it’s so widespread, or at least it was a few years ago.

I used to think it was a case of switching to different audio files but I have no idea.

I kept the convo to voice acting to keep from derailing but it happens in live action as well, especially theatre.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah but the subtitle thing I can forgive because there's not really a way around it without timing each written word to its spoken one and that would be a solution worse than the problem. It's a double-edged sword to be able to see what characters will say ahead of time (it's great for skipping dialogue!).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

I think the weird sudden stop in game's dialogues might be a mix of the voice actors not knowing what kind of scene they're doing plus what their own annotations look like in the script. Most folks will read out loud and write directions, like when to pause for a breath, slow down or advance, change intonations, etc. In this case, there's probably some point where they did a full stop, as the text ended but had no idea why, thus the awkward interruption.

Don't get me wrong, I said "voice acting" but it's not the actor's fault. It's the script, the direction, or how the recordings are used by the devs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perestroika posted:

Death Stranding: "This cargo must be stored horizontally at all times"

Also Death Stranding: Puts the cargo vertically in my backpack and gives me no option to manually adjust its position

If you leave it off Sam, auto-organize everything, and then add it it will go on top.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where there was huge gulf in perceived quality between promo and release?

THEY TOOK OUT THE loving PUDDLES

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

What was the deal with that anyway? Were the puddles just too much of a performance killer?

Probably, but outside that one particular cutscene and subsequent combat encounter the final game in general does not have much water on the ground ever, even when it's been raining for a while, and I'm assuming it's because it would have required animating splashes and ripples as you and enemies went through them or else it would have looked bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I knew I did not want to have to do any back and forth trekking in the mountains in Death Stranding so I made sure to pack enough stuff to build a zipline network as I went. If you run out supplies, you take the ziplines back to get more and can do a round trip to where you left off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

It's especially annoying for the little scenes where a random NPC tells you about a point of interest on the map. Just tell me where the cool hat is, monk dude, we both know you're not a real character.

There's one temple with a few monks that all tell you the exact same thing. I thought the second time maybe I had turned myself around to talk to the same guy again but no, I understood by the third monk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only real problem I have with Ghost of Tsushima is that the game still forces stance switches on me in the middle of a fight. Is it a bug? A mistake? It's truly baffling that a game like this stops the action, puts up a message on screen, and then doesn't let me continue until I do what the message says. I'm on Hard! That should be enough for the game to just leave me to my devices and get my rear end kicked if I can't figure things out. Like I get that stances are best for certain enemies but just let me do what I want.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're not wrong about the on-screen indicators, though. Swipes of the touchpad or touches of the d-pad needing to show little icons each time or every stand-off telling me to Hold Triangle when it's the same thing no matter what.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thundercracker posted:

Spider-Man has great controls... except when you're stationary on a wall and sometimes absolutely no button will let you drop off. Like you're just stuck until the game decides you aren't.

For some reason there's a huge delay. If you mash X you will backflip off after a couple (deadly) seconds. Related to this, don't use air web yank next to a wall because you'll end up wallcrawling for some reason.

Wallcrawling in the game in general was massively neglected.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

The stance switching really bugged me in Tsushima - not the mechanic itself, but the controls. I frequently would hit R2 and the button to switch, but for some reason the R2 didn't register, or I pressed it too fast, or something, so instead of switching I'd attack, or jump or something, then get thrown out of my rhythm since I don't know what stance I'm in and getting parried while trying to figure out wtf was going wrong. Got me killed more than once. Very frustrating.

Same. It doesn't seem built for really fast switching so I've learned to make my stance switch button inputs slower and more deliberate.

rydiafan posted:

There's one side quest where you fight a bunch of bandits with a werewolf leader, and it hosed me so hard because I'd never fought humans and monsters at the same time before and the concept of switching swords, or even knowing which one I was using, was not something I was able to suddenly grasp mid-battle.

It was weird looking back on Witcher 3 and realizing that it very rarely mixed enemies in battle, let alone human/monster.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Tsushima has no inter-stance combos or anything like that so I can understand it forcing it to be a slower, deliberate action. With that said it's still a little too slow, I also found myself jumping in place while trying to change stance a lot. You have to wait for the menu to pop up before hitting the button combo changes your stance and that takes a split second, as opposed to say Nioh where you don't have to wait and can just hit the combo to change without the menu even appearing.

It has no inter-stance combos built in but it'd be great to be able to better chain the different special attacks. Typhoon Kick is one that I'd love to faster on the draw with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arkham combat was awesome but not the end-all be-all. A new Batman game could be more of a traditional brawler style and do things that other similar games have done like mix the stealth and combat in together instead of making them mostly separate encounters, adding height/verticality, giving players a way to regain health, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You're not locked out of content. Not being able to play as Spider-Man if you get the X-Box version of the new Avengers game, that's being locked out. If there's something you're missing in a quest or storyline because of your choices then just play it again a different way. Isn't that ideally what an RPG is? A game where you have real choices that matter?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love that game, but it's gonna be tough to go back to that part after Ghost of Tsushima's instant pushbutton resource collection with its generous activation radius. Equally applicable to any game that uses a timer for item collecting, even a short one.

And Ghost wasn't even the first game to do it. So many devs just really really want looting and picking stuff up off the ground to be an inconvenient chore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm struggling to understand a reason for putting running stamina in Ghost of Tsushima. It doesn't affect climbing or anything else, and a ways into my second playthrough I don't think I've ever been in a combat situation where I'm running for long enough that it would matter. As far as I can tell, literally the only thing it does is pointlessly slow you down when you're on foot between missions or following a fox to its shrine. It's like it's just there because games have stamina meters now.

To make using the horse more attractive?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only time stamina seems like it would be a factor (if you don't know how to reset it) is the mountain climbing mission. Other than that, yeah, I can't think of anytime you would need to run that is long enough it would be a thing. Like if you needed to save a hostage you would be pretty close to that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know, horses are usually already very attractive imo

Hope for your sake they're into you as well.

Mare like oldpainless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Be careful with that, a lot of terrain that exists in New graphics doesn't in Old, and it's the Old physics grids they use. It's really noticeable halfway through Truth and Reconciliation, when you're storming the gravity lift - a fair chunk of the cliff edge doesn't really exist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The camera is usually a weak point of a third-person fast action game, moreso if the action takes place in any tight spaces or height plays a factor or they want to keep the character on-screen always. On that last point it's always funny to me that third-person games like Ghost build in a function for switching the camera sides when aiming because the problem of the character blocking the player's view seems like it would be better solved by removing the character with transparency or zooming in farther to just their hands and weapon so it's briefly first-person.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

On the subject of dementia/alzheimer's in video games I thought it was poorly handled in Ghost of Tsushima where you come across that old lady who teaches you how to make poison darts then slips into total senility over the course of like 3 sidequests. I could see what they were going for but maybe think about how players are most likely gonna do all those quests all in a row if you let them. It turned what could have been a tragic and gradual decline into "welp here I am your old caretaker that you've never seen or heard of before 20 hours into the game, whoops now I can't remember anything and I'm dead, have fun raiding the castle." Comical.

Yeah, I'm not sure why she didn't just have it to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mostly enjoy Ghost of Tsushima's lack of HUD and it received a lot of praise for doing away with the Detective/Eagle/Witcher/Focus vision when you need to follow someone's trail or pick out things of interest in the environment but there is a not uncommon number of missions where the game tells you to search the area and you don't know what you're searching for. Several times now I've been looking around for something out of place or someone weird and the game will go "ah ah, back that way" because I've unknowingly left the search area and when that happens more than once the lack of a second sight or extra senses quickly fades. Doing concentric circles around the starting point until the game shows an R2 prompt doesn't make me feel like I'm examining things in a way that's any more natural or organic than if Jin was just Google Glass'ing his way to the next checkpoint like his buddies in other third-person open world games.